PDA

View Full Version : Are silk pillowcases and scrunchies worth it?

Sw33th34rt4my
January 23rd, 2017, 05:06 PM
Sorry for all the questions. I have had a lot of breakage due to sleeping with a ponytail in the same spot for almost 3 years. I have been sleeping in braids now but still notice breaking. I am a very restless sleeper and usually have a very active 3 year old in bed with me. I can't stand to have things on my head so a sleep cap is out. So, are silk pillowcases with the money? I'm looking at them from an Etsy seller, AdorabellaBaby, as I like to support small businesses. I wanted to get opinions before I spend that much money though. are silk pillowcases and scrunchies worth the money?

littlestarface
January 23rd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Oh yes definitely, I have her sleep cap and scrunchy and it is the best silk I ever felt.

sumidha
January 23rd, 2017, 05:11 PM
I get lots of frizzing and knotting at the nape of my neck, so for me I would say yes, they have noticeably cut down on that, but I also got mine from a thrift store. Another option if you are even remotely crafty is to make your own.

Anje
January 23rd, 2017, 05:14 PM
I did the sleep bonnet thing, so I can't specifically comment on whether the pillowcase does the trick.

I can tell you, though, that Dharma Trading (also a pretty small business, though not so small as someone on Etsy) has really good prices on them. :)

wispe
January 23rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Silk pillowcase &/or sleep bonnet made a huge difference in how my hair looks and feels since I got them, especially at my nape hair where I had some breakage. I have a couple scrunchies but theyre a bit big so I rarely wear them. Considering getting some skinny silk-covered ones at some point, though.

mizukitty
January 23rd, 2017, 05:21 PM
In my opinion, yes. The texture is smooth and doesn't suck the moisture of out of your hair and skin like cotton does. I've noticed my skin looks much softer and my hair is less tangly when I sleep with it loose on my silk pillow. You do have to hand wash it, which is a little annoying if you're lazy :lol: but I think it's worth it :)

diddiedaisy
January 23rd, 2017, 05:25 PM
I use a silky pillowcase, only a cheap one though, and between that and swapping my hair towel for a t-shirt my hair now gets very few splits. It's probably made the biggest difference of all the changes I have made to my routine.

wispe
January 23rd, 2017, 05:33 PM
^ I also ditched normal towels and now use a soft cotton pillowcase (or tee shirt) to dry my hair. Much better (:

Sw33th34rt4my
January 23rd, 2017, 05:42 PM
I've never heard about using a tee shirt to dry your hair. Sounds a lot nicer than a towel. I'll have to try that. thanks!
Thanks for all the input on the pillowcase. Sounds like it will be a good investment for me :)

ephemeri
January 23rd, 2017, 05:49 PM
I use satin pillowcases. I got them from amazon.. I think 4 of them for something like $12? Totally, totally worth it. Maybe silk is better but these suckers are slippery and my hair is thanking me for it.

It took a little getting used to but now I can't sleep on cotton anymore, not soft enough!

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 23rd, 2017, 06:10 PM
I used a satin case once but never noticed a difference. I keep my hair in a high bun with a fork and it holds it so. Never though to buy scrunchies or a silk case.

Zesty
January 23rd, 2017, 06:14 PM
I have a silk pillowcase from AdorabellaBaby and I definitely think it's worth it. My other one is from Amazon but I also like to support small sellers. I sleep with my hair loose these days, and it's less tangly/rough in the morning, as opposed to the rare occasion when I have to sleep on a regular cotton pillowcase. (Oh the horror! I am so spoiled. :o)

Kirby-oh
January 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
silk cases are great, as are nice towels. I use microfiber towels. I put the sheets right up over my face though, so I use a sleep bonnet, and that probably makes a lot of difference, because then the sheets would have to be silk too otherwise.

kittengirl
January 23rd, 2017, 06:28 PM
Yes!! I love my silk pillowcase and scrunchies and recently got a bonnet which I also love. I also use silk hair scarves in winter.

florafox
January 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM
I'd say yes. I have a satin pillowcase, scarf and satin scrunchies. They have saved my hair from excess friction

Katia_k
January 23rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
I lose so much less hair with the silk scrunchies, the rare times I tie my hair back. I used to just rip out bunches with normal hair ties, but the scrunchies really solved that problem.

As for the pillowcases, I would have been in the "maybe" camp until I spent a month on a cotton one over the holidays while visiting family. After a day or two, my hair was so much flatter and more lifeless than it ever gets after a day or two of sleeping on the silk. So I say definitely worth it, whether an expensive or cheap one. I think mine was like $10, since I wasn't sure I wanted to commit or if it would even work. But it's been awesome.

Chromis
January 23rd, 2017, 07:58 PM
Silk pillowcases are great!

I would not recommend scrunchies at all though, even silk ones are damaging.

turtlelover
January 23rd, 2017, 08:45 PM
Yes, for sure! I bought a satin pillowcase from KMart last week, and the amount of morning braid shred from my layers has been significantly reduced, which I assume means less friction is happening. Makes me happy!

Dante
January 23rd, 2017, 11:55 PM
I tried a satin pillowcase but felt it was too hot on my face and neck. I get lots of tangles when sleeping though, especially if I don't plait my hair, so I'm tempted to try again with a bonnet. Does anyone know if it makes a difference if they are silk or satin? And has anyone sewed their own and have any tips?

Sw33th34rt4my
January 24th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll probably be ordering it tonight. I was looking at the colors last night. When I told my husband I couldn't decide on a color I was told to get two! :D

ipickee
January 24th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I use a satin one, and it makes a big difference for me. I also sleep with my hair in a high bun, held with a couple Quattro forks, and it holds great.

lapushka
January 24th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Sorry for all the questions. I have had a lot of breakage due to sleeping with a ponytail in the same spot for almost 3 years. I have been sleeping in braids now but still notice breaking. I am a very restless sleeper and usually have a very active 3 year old in bed with me. I can't stand to have things on my head so a sleep cap is out. So, are silk pillowcases with the money? I'm looking at them from an Etsy seller, AdorabellaBaby, as I like to support small businesses. I wanted to get opinions before I spend that much money though. are silk pillowcases and scrunchies worth the money?

If you're very restless I would recommend a satin sleep cap/bonnet or satin pillowcase. The bonnet might not be a good idea if you're restless because you might lose it during the night. And scrunchies are definitely worth it if you notice ponytail breakage. If you have switched to braiding, braid loosely! *Very* loosely so there's no tension anywhere on the braid.

Also look at the measurements on the pillowcase. EU sizes differ from US sizes and this is why I haven't gotten one yet. They just don't fit my pillow. I do have microfiber bedding and that is awesome for the slip, it is as smooth as silk/satin.

You could also get a silk scarf and make it into a pillowcase if you're crafty. :)

ReadingRenee
January 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
I have been an LHC member for 11 years and I never took the silk pillowcase plunge until a few months ago. I LOVE mine! I actually don't know what it's done for my hair but it's been great for my face and I love how it feels every night when I go to bed. So cool and silky... I feel like my face skin has been better since I got it, way less breakouts that seemed to pop up overnight. I wish I had gotten one years ago.
I hope you enjoy yours!

ravenreed
January 24th, 2017, 09:10 AM
I only sleep on silk or satin pillowcases. Every time they are in the wash and I switch to normal ones, I notice a huge increase in tangles. Additionally, I had a friend with very delicate hair who couldn't grow longer than shoulder length. I recommended she switch pillowcases and she was finally able to grow her hair longer.

I prefer silk in the summer but the satin easier to come by. My satin pillowcases were purchased at Sally's Beauty, but the silk pillowcase were ordered from Dharma Trading.

Zesty
January 24th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I tried a satin pillowcase but felt it was too hot on my face and neck. I get lots of tangles when sleeping though, especially if I don't plait my hair, so I'm tempted to try again with a bonnet. Does anyone know if it makes a difference if they are silk or satin? And has anyone sewed their own and have any tips?

Silk is more breathable than synthetic satin. If you're going the bonnet route, I'd strongly advise getting one with adjustable ties. They last longer because you can tighten them if the elastic gets a little worn out.

pili
January 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM
A satin pillowcase has made a world of difference to me.

Mrstran
January 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM
They've made a huge difference for my hair. I no longer wake up with knots or worry about the roughness of a normal pillow case. As for the scrunchies, I adore them. They prevent all the tension, pulling, and breakage. Both so Gentile.

Sw33th34rt4my
January 24th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Yeah! I just ordered 2! So excited to receive them. I found a different Esty seller that is having a sale on pure silk items, LullabySilken. I got king size pillowcases for $32 each. She has standard size cases starting at $22!

Dante
January 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Silk is more breathable than synthetic satin. If you're going the bonnet route, I'd strongly advise getting one with adjustable ties. They last longer because you can tighten them if the elastic gets a little worn out.

Thanks for the tip!

Deborah
January 24th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I machine wash my silk pillowcases all the time, and have for many years. They might wear out or fade faster, but machine washing them does not shrink or harm them.

Nymphe
January 24th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I used a silk pillowcase when my hair was shorter, then switched to a rayon snood and later silk bonnets. I bought my latest silk bonnet from EverlyProducts on Etsy because she uses Lycra for the band instead of elastic or drawstrings. I wear mine inside out because I prefer the shiny, smoother side on my hair.

Frankenstein
January 24th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Absolutely worth it. I personally prefer a bonnet these days though.

Agnes Hannah
January 26th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I've made my own silk sleep caps, they are not pretty as they are hand sewn and very basic, but they do the job, they protect my uber fine thin hair, I have grown to almost classic. I also use silk pillow cases as added protection, also hand sewn. I've used both for about three years the same length of time I have been here. It was probably the first thing I did to protect my hair. When putting the cap on, my hair is plaited but left unfinished so less stress is on the ends. I haven't used a scrunchy so can't help there.

calmyogi
January 26th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Most definitely. using a satin scarf draped over my pillow, or a satin pillowcase, as well as putting my hair in a top knot, and using a t shirt has made a HUGE difference in the health of my hair.

More so than stretching washes or staying away from sulfates.

meteor
January 27th, 2017, 12:39 PM
It made a big difference for me, too. Particularly with preserving smooth braided styles overnight without frizz or tangling.

Btw, it doesn't have to be specifically silk for me, just really slippery smooth material (I find that some silk isn't even that smooth, depending on the weave, for example). And it doesn't have to be a pillowcase or bonnet, just a silky scarf or silky blouse or something wrapped around the pillow and the hair.

I also like silky scarves under cowl/hood/warm scarf just to prevent static and tangling from rubbing on warmer materials.

I must say, I don't use scrunchies though, and if I do need to tie off my braid (at night), I prefer a silky ribbon.

Hay_jules
January 27th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I've been wanting a silk/satin pillowcase for ages but can't bring myself to spend the money on it. One of these days though I'll hit up some thrift stores and see if I can't find some silk scarves and possible other random silky items I could make things out of.

poli
January 28th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Btw, it doesn't have to be specifically silk for me, just really slippery smooth material (I find that some silk isn't even that smooth, depending on the weave, for example). And it doesn't have to be a pillowcase or bonnet, just a silky scarf or silky blouse or something wrapped around the pillow and the hair.

I've been wanting a silk/satin pillowcase for ages but can't bring myself to spend the money on it. One of these days though I'll hit up some thrift stores and see if I can't find some silk scarves and possible other random silky items I could make things out of.

I have been using slippery polyester dress or silk satin blouse wrapped around the pillow :) This is an easy budget friendly way to try it out.

Kae612
February 11th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I've made my own silk sleep caps, they are not pretty as they are hand sewn and very basic, but they do the job, they protect my uber fine thin hair, I have grown to almost classic. I also use silk pillow cases as added protection, also hand sewn. I've used both for about three years the same length of time I have been here. It was probably the first thing I did to protect my hair. When putting the cap on, my hair is plaited but left unfinished so less stress is on the ends. I haven't used a scrunchy so can't help there.

I'm curious as to how you did that! I can hand sew (I'm a go-to to get patches on jackets/bags at school) but it's been a long time since I've known how to use a machine, and I was still very rudimentary when I stopped. But I've noticed that buying silk material is a lot less expensive than a bonnet, and I'm not currently employed so that's kinda important lol. But I know I noticed a big difference with the T-shirt tip, so there might be something to this, and I toss a lot in my sleep. I would get a pillowcase, but I slip off my pillow a lot as is. Sometimes I sleep without it depending on how my neck feels. I don't think it would help, and I think I would find it annoying. If you mind sharing, I'd love to know how you made it!

pandabarrier
February 12th, 2017, 04:04 PM
I wear a silk sleep cap since March 2016, but I noticed the shorter hair strands on my nape always come out of the cap and get mangled, probably because I move so much in my sleep. I couldn't fork money to buy a silk sleep pillowcase, so I got a silk blouse from a thrift store and "dressed" my pillow with it, hoping to minimize the friction during sleep. So far so good.
I can't tell about the silk scrunchie, I've never used it. I tried to sew a large piece of satin ribbon in a hair tie, to create a satin scrunchie, but boy, that was hard with my basic sewing skills.

Garnetgem
February 12th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Never tried a silk pillowcase but i use Egyptian cotton pillow cases they are very soft...as for silk scrunchies i have tried them but they are so silky they simply slide out after a few minutes!

Rebel Rebel
February 22nd, 2017, 03:01 PM
Hi there!

Agree with others and absolutely love my silk pillowcases for my delicate fragile hair. I also braid my hair for extra protection. I've read that silk is more breathable and closer to the structure of hair and skin. I can only say that I don't wake up with tangles and knots like I once did. I now wake up tangle free. I've had mine for about a year and wish I'd bought them long ago to help with unneseccary tangle damage.
They make such a difference for me that I can't stand regular cases or using the cases in hotels.

swearnsue
February 22nd, 2017, 07:36 PM
I buy satin polyester pillowcases from Goodwill, about $1 or $2 each. Some can be outrageous colors though! One is gray with pink circles all over. I must have about a dozen. Not only do I use them as my pillowcase, but use them for my recliner and headrest in my car. I have real silk ones too but I like the polyester satin ones better because I can just throw them in the washer and dryer with my clothes.
No scrunchies.

MoonRabbit
February 22nd, 2017, 07:52 PM
Am I the only one that has not had success with silk/satin pillowcases?? I think it helps a little bit but I still wake up with tons of tangles. I'm a very restless sleeper, I even keep my braid tail in a satin cap. I tried wearing the cap on my head but the elastic was really tight and it started to cause breakage at the hairline. I might have to change all my bedding or start wearing my hair differently while I sleep.

enterafox
February 23rd, 2017, 05:59 AM
I use SILKE LONDON's silk wrap. I find it absolutely does make a difference and I can not wash my hair for five days or so before it starts to get scraggly – i don't find it particularly comfortable though, so I don't use it the night before a wash. They also make skinny silk hairbands (though are currently out of stock, to my dismay).

Rebel Rebel
February 23rd, 2017, 09:27 PM
Thank you for suggesting Silke London. I have been looking everywhere for good looking sleep cap. I loved the colors but ordered the black to try first. Can't wait to get it!

PrincessAralin
February 23rd, 2017, 11:17 PM
I'm a long-time devotee of satin pillowcases for sure, especially since I tend to toss about a fair bit in my sleep. They feel so nice anyway I'd say they're worth it regardless of how kind they are to your hair. I LOVE silk scrunchies. I just can't wear ponytails with plain ties, the dint it leaves drives me up the wall, whereas I find that silk or satin scrunchies really don't leave any trace.

Aunty Miki
February 24th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I hate slippery cases but love scrunchies.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 19th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Am I the only one that has not had success with silk/satin pillowcases?? I think it helps a little bit but I still wake up with tons of tangles. I'm a very restless sleeper, I even keep my braid tail in a satin cap. I tried wearing the cap on my head but the elastic was really tight and it started to cause breakage at the hairline. I might have to change all my bedding or start wearing my hair differently while I sleep.

This was the same case for me. I mean, its been a long time since, maybe I could give it another shot?
But money.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 20th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Just reading through this thread is realised I was able to grow my hair from APL to almost hip because of my satin pillow case. I bought a couple satin pillow cases for vanity; to maintain a youthful look. My hair never used to grow beyond APL all my life and just a pillow case gave me growth.
I do not use any hair ties. My hair is long enough to hold itself.

Aredhel
April 20th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I have a satin pillowcase and it's done wonders in keeping my hair from tangling like crazy during my sleep. :) Since my hair is too long for all of it to remain on the pillow all night though, I could probably upgrade to a silk/satin sleep cap for better results...