PDA

View Full Version : Hair Fork Sizing Chart

likelikepenny
January 23rd, 2017, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone, I found this chart for determining hair fork size and thought I would share.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/403705554079575884/

hanne jensen
January 23rd, 2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks for posting this. I've been hesitant to buy a fork because I didn't know what size I need.

lithostoic
January 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM
Very helpful!

wispe
January 23rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
How neat is that! I've just been experimenting based on trial & error, this is handy.

Frankenstein
January 23rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
Is this based on prong length or total length?

likelikepenny
January 23rd, 2017, 09:27 AM

I'm guessing prong length but I'm not 100% sure.

calmyogi
January 23rd, 2017, 10:26 AM
This is pretty cool.

Aunty Miki
January 23rd, 2017, 10:34 AM
Where can I get forks? I'll check Sally's, but it seems like they have a tiny bit of everything. Their sticks are just boring plastic in one style. Not pretty at all.

likelikepenny
January 23rd, 2017, 12:12 PM
Where can I get forks? I'll check Sally's, but it seems like they have a tiny bit of everything. Their sticks are just boring plastic in one style. Not pretty at all.

I would check etsy, they have lots of pretty forks for a reasonable price. I've seen some wood ones for about 7 dollars and some titanium for 20.

wispe
January 23rd, 2017, 12:22 PM

Etsy, perhaps ebay. I've yet to see a hair fork (or actual sticks) when shopping IRL, and I don't recommend those plastic sallys sticks. I had a pair, they snagged my hair and totally warped after a short period of time.

Llama
January 23rd, 2017, 12:38 PM
This is super helpful, thanks for posting!

I wish I had seen this a few months ago. I bought a 6 inch 3-prong fork (total size, not sure what prong size is) and it is just waaaayy too giant on my head/hair and I never wear it. I've been saving it to see if maybe at some point in the future it will fit better but I don't think it ever will. Even according to that chart you'd need thigh length and thick hair for a 6" fork- neither of which are ever going to happen for me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 23rd, 2017, 01:26 PM
This is pretty accurate I think. Although my hair length isn't listed.

nekosan
January 23rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Bun diameter plus an inch is my rule of thumb - and matches the diagram on the right. =)

As someone who failry short - 150cm or 4'11" - the chart on the left gives me a fork that's 1/2" bigger than i like. Someone who is quite tall may need to add 1/2" if they're using that chart. Using the actual bun measurement eliminates that leeway.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2017, 02:45 PM
Ah who remembers Mairzy Dozy? The chart is spot on, at least for me and my thickness. I have around a 5" fork right now at hip, and after I reach classic, a 5" fork becomes a little *tight* but it can still pass. I'm talking functional length.

vampyyri
January 23rd, 2017, 03:10 PM
Hmm interesting, I've been using 6" forks since HL. It also depends on how "fluffy" you make your bun too I suppose. I know when I use a fork I make the bun really loose as to not break any hairs when inserting it.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2017, 03:18 PM
Hmm interesting, I've been using 6" forks since HL. It also depends on how "fluffy" you make your bun too I suppose. I know when I use a fork I make the bun really loose as to not break any hairs when inserting it.

I always do a LWB, which is a centerheld bun, so that matters too, I guess. :)

DweamGoiL
January 23rd, 2017, 03:32 PM
Ah who remembers Mairzy Dozy? The chart is spot on, at least for me and my thickness. I have around a 5" fork right now at hip, and after I reach classic, a 5" fork becomes a little *tight* but it can still pass. I'm talking functional length.

I have a couple of her copper forks....love them!

The shop is still around but under Tempest Moon Studio

lapushka
January 23rd, 2017, 03:35 PM
I have a couple of her copper forks....love them!

The shop is still around but under Tempest Moon Studio

Thanks for that; I had no idea. :)

Crystawni
January 23rd, 2017, 04:52 PM

It was for metal forks, so total prong length. :wigtongue Actually, for me, I need a smaller fpl on metal forks as they're slimmer and slide through to spaces thicker forks stop at. It's also worth considering your head size when buying hairtoys, too. When starting out, I used my mobile phone, glasses case and other comparable items to see how Jeter forks, etc., would size up before buying. :lol: Aaaaaaaand, as mentioned, the hairstyle can make the difference as well. Centre-held buns can use smaller fpl forks, cinnabuns can use multi-pronged forks and loopy disc or figure-8 type buns can use longer fpl 2 prongers.

turtlelover
January 23rd, 2017, 07:21 PM
I do not yet own a hair fork, but that will change VERY soon! I have a couple of sticks, and my hair is finally long enough so that a hair toy addiction is inevitable. HAHA! Plus, my new friend sells Lilla Rose stuff, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE! A hair shopping spree is in my near future!

MoonRabbit
January 23rd, 2017, 07:43 PM
This is so helpful! Thanks for posting it. Every time I go shopping for a fork I get intimidated by all the sizes and end up never getting one.

likelikepenny
January 23rd, 2017, 08:20 PM
I'm so happy this thread is getting traffic and is helpful. After seeing this chart, I realize the fork I'm making at eight inches may be a little too long :(

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2017, 10:56 PM
I'm so happy this thread is getting traffic and is helpful. After seeing this chart, I realize the fork I'm making at eight inches may be a little too long :(

If it is you can just shorten the prongs to suit :)

Dante
January 23rd, 2017, 11:25 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm new to the LHC (& long hair generally; although I'm not sure I really have long hair in this community; it's BSL) and I'd love to buy a hair fork but had no idea what length I'd need.

Silly question time - would I need the same length in a hair stick? Or would it be a bit shorter or longer?

Crystawni
January 24th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm new to the LHC (& long hair generally; although I'm not sure I really have long hair in this community; it's BSL) and I'd love to buy a hair fork but had no idea what length I'd need.

Silly question time - would I need the same length in a hair stick? Or would it be a bit shorter or longer?

Hair sticks tend to be longer, say an inch or so longer than your bun on either end. (And again, since I posted in another thread, welcome to LHC!)

Dante
January 24th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Haha, thanks Cystawni :o

lapushka
January 24th, 2017, 03:46 AM

You can always make a bun with a pencil, and measure one + 1 inch on either side that sticks out of your bun. That will give you a good measurement for the length you'd need (functional prong length, not total length, so not including the topper).

PrincessBob
January 24th, 2017, 03:46 PM
The more prongs, the less length I need, but I can use from four to six and a half inches of functional fork.

Dante
January 24th, 2017, 05:36 PM
You can always make a bun with a pencil, and measure one + 1 inch on either side that sticks out of your bun. That will give you a good measurement for the length you'd need (functional prong length, not total length, so not including the topper).

I have been playing around with paintbrushes to work out length, as I have a lot of them of different lengths. I'm sure I must look a bit weird walking around with paintbrushes in my hair, but I figure it can't be more odd than pencils :cool:

wispe
January 24th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I have been playing around with paintbrushes to work out length, as I have a lot of them of different lengths. I'm sure I must look a bit weird walking around with paintbrushes in my hair, but I figure it can't be more odd than pencils :cool:

I used paintbrushes when I first started wearing my hair up with a stick, too. It wasn't so odd looking while I was in the studio, though.

Kae612
February 11th, 2017, 09:48 PM
This is fantastic! It really explains why, at waist length, the 4'' 2 prong forks were sometimes slipping out of buns. My ponytail is right on 4'' circumference, so I guess that'd put me at "thick" - and the 5'' 3 pronged fork I just got from quecraft on etsy is so wonderful. The 4 inchers are still really good for half ups though. My hair just really doesn't like staying up, it falls out of everything.

likelikepenny
February 12th, 2017, 05:04 AM
This is fantastic! It really explains why, at waist length, the 4'' 2 prong forks were sometimes slipping out of buns. My ponytail is right on 4'' circumference, so I guess that'd put me at "thick" - and the 5'' 3 pronged fork I just got from quecraft on etsy is so wonderful. The 4 inchers are still really good for half ups though. My hair just really doesn't like staying up, it falls out of everything.

Glad it helps :)

_anya
June 8th, 2017, 12:44 PM

Welcome! I'm also new-ish and am looking for help picking the right hair fork for my relatively short hair (APL)...

Re hair sticks - do you happen to be a knitter or have any knitting needles? If you can get your hands on some preferably 5" or 6" long DPNs (double-pointed needles) in a size 3.75cm/US 5 or 4cm/US 6 (gauge/circumference), I've been using these until my hair is longer and I can upgrade to a REAL fork. If not, you can pick up a pack of 6 DPNs for very little at any craft type shop. They'll usually come in bamboo, hollowed stainless steel or aluminium. If you feel like getting fancy, I love rosewood as it has more "tooth" in my very fine, slippery hair (FYI: I'm currently wearing red rosewood from Knitter's Pride) yet are extremely smooth and lightweight. I stuck on some tip-protector baubles on one end of each needle so it doesn't stab my neck if one slides out. :p Seems to work ok for the time being.

However, I'd like to try a fork for my APL fine fly-away hair so as to secure it better than bun and sticks do.
Anyone have a recommendations for a particular fork I could buy on etsy or somewhere? Thanks for this great thread!

MrsDay
June 8th, 2017, 07:33 PM
So helpful. Definitely saving this for future reference. I've always just used claw clips so I need to expand my hair accessory options!

Kitty-Zen
June 8th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I used paintbrushes when I first started wearing my hair up with a stick, too. It wasn't so odd looking while I was in the studio, though.

Haha I love this idea! I actually considered making deco rated/ glitter and resin coated paintbrushes for this purpose.