PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fix Your Hair On Down Days?

Tangles
October 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
How do you style your hair on those occasions where you want it down? Heat free, of course.

I got the idea for this poll because I realized that I don't like just combing and airdrying and probably alot of other people don't feel that works for them either.

I added a poll but feel free to respond with other ideas.

As a wavy, I feel damp braiding or bunning and THEN combing works pretty well most of the time. I think if I didn't have layers I could get away with combing only.

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I just let it airdry, maybe with a little oil in it for slip and moisture.

I really don't wear my hair down all day, ever, though. Therefore, it doesn't get any special styling -- I just take it down for a few hours, or start out with it loose, then stick it up when it gets in my way.

AJoifulNoise
October 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I oil damp hair then comb, let dry, and comb again. ta-da!

Vitalai
October 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I rarely let my hair down, because it won't behave. When I do, I just let it airdry. Sometimes I'll do a French braid or a bun overnight.

CurlyNinja
October 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I voted "just comb and dry" but it's a lot more complicated than just that for a curly like me! I scrunch, I use product, I try different things in different orders, and it would just be way too involved for me to get into it here. :o

mira-chan
October 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I very rarely wear it down and even then only for a couple of hours. Usually it's as it is drying of if an updo has been pulling. So it's down, no combing or anything.

Carolyn
October 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sometimes I'll air dry and when it's just barely dry I'll use my BBB to get it nice and straight. I love my hair when it's stick straight. If I want a few waves I'll bun it over night or for a few hours and then scrunch it up a little. I would never wear it down with braid waves.

HairColoredHair
October 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
..... down days? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chromis
October 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Er, I dry and comb it when it is down (rare) just the same as I do when it is up! Air dry, comb, BBB, coconut oil is my normal MO on washdays. I do not necessarily wash my hair before I wear it down though so the poll options don't make any sense for me.

lyria
October 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I voted comb and dry, but I do use a leave in conditioner, Fructis Length and Strength. I know nothing works for everyone, but this is perfect on my hair, keeps it from tangling and doesn't weight it down, but still seems to tame fly aways...can you tell i'm in love?

Tangles
October 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I voted comb and dry, but I do use a leave in conditioner, Fructis Length and Strength. I know nothing works for everyone, but this is perfect on my hair, keeps it from tangling and doesn't weight it down, but still seems to tame fly aways...can you tell i'm in love?

Wow, I really need to try that (cones are difficult, but I still like to try them!) I can always use detangling/flyaway help.

MadHatter
October 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Comb and air dry. That's all I ever do. Benign neglect :thumbsup:

nessthing
October 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I voted just comb and airdry, but I use a lot of coney serums to de-puff my damaged parts.

ETA: Oh! And Garnier Fructis Length and Strength leave-in too!

Aditi
October 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I just comb my hair with wide-wooden comb and let it air-dry. Then after it has dried out completely i make a bun for half-hour and after that again comb with wide toothed comb and then my wavy hair are ready to rock.:cheese:

vampodrama
October 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
my hair only has down days...

I wash it, let it air dry and fingercomb.

it forms natural dreads like whoa but there's just no way of battling them, because oil does not work with my hair at all.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
My best hair-down days are when I comb conditioner through in the shower and then let my hair air-dry without touching it again. I get my best waves/curls. I don't wear it down often, though. There have been days when I've worn it down, thinking it looked pretty, and then somebody took a picture of me, and OMG! Bush woman.

Nanni
October 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
I fingercomb my hair when it's wet, light oiling and let dry. Then I comb through it when it's dry. I finish with a little bit of oil to calm down frizz if it is frizzy.

Monsterkitti
October 23rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
I put comb and air dry. I usual finger comb very lightly, oil ends and then leave it to air dry.

saracuda
October 23rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
plain old comb and dry for me. :)

Wind Dragon
October 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
There's no cheese option; I couldn't vote. :p

If it's down on a wash day, it's dry, then comb. Or, mostly dry, twist up, leave for a really long time, then let it down and shake it out and (maybe) finger-comb.

On a non-wash day I just wet my bangs and comb everything back. Usually the length gets twisted up and then comes down later when it's learned how to behave :lol:, but that's mostly because I always wear it up to work anyway. Weekends, except for wetting the bangs and face-framing stuff, it usually just gets combed.

Tapioca
October 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I've been washing at night now, so it's apply leave-in snot, comb, scrunch to encourage wavies, and sleep. In the morning, comb again and use a little of kimberlily's de-frizz spray on any frizzies.

Lady Godiva
October 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
I don't have hair-down days ever. A few days ago, I realized that it has been years since I last wore my hair down for a whole day. It doesn't happen anymore. At most, they're hair-down portions of days, usually event-dependent. Wearing my hair up is far more functional on a daily basis. Even braids have problems. Down is just a style for *some* special occasions.

If I'm going to wear my hair "down" for a whole day, then usually it's braided for at least the top 3-4 feet, usually more, but sometimes I like having a 12"-18" tail. :D Then the same braid will be my sleeping style that night and probably will be the next day's braided bun or braided Log Roll.

I'm realizing that I sleep with my hair fully down more often than I wear it down during the day, but I don't toss and turn much at night, and I choose to wear it down only so it can dry after washing it earlier in the evening. I wear it down in bed by placing the length on a curtain panel tucked under the mattress side near the head of the bed.

burns_erin
October 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
I am a comb (or usually brush in my case) and let air dry when I wear it down, of course that is also what I do when i am going to wear it up.

Gumball
October 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hmm. Technically none of those choices really fit me. If I'm wearing it down (which is absolutely rare) I usually just shower, wait for it to dry a little, then load it up with aloe, get some separation via fingers and out I go. I can do this with unwet hair and in some instances get a similar result. A second possibility I haven't quite worn out is just to emerge from the shower with damp hair, style it in a banded ponytail (see Caterpillar) with the bands just tight enough to maintain their position on the hair but loose enough to slide around with the tap of a finger, wait for it to mostly dry and remove the bands. My hair looks spiffy then, too.

thankyousir74
October 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
There is no oil and air dry option :/ I voted air dry though, because sometimes I forget to oil.

Katze
October 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM
none of the above.

Every day after washing is a down day, because I enjoy my hair in that state too much to hide it away! :D

I wash nights, sleep with damp hair in a towel, and "fix" it when I wake up with aloe and leave-in conditioner. The aloe goes all over, the leave-in goes on the ends and length. I scrunch the ends/length and twirl the ends around my fingers before letting it dry for a few minutes.

Lately, because I have been swimming, I have been towel drying after washing, then *gasp* blowdrying on LOW heat, focusing on scalp and ears (my ears ache if I go out with wet hair). Then I clip this half-dry hair up, bike home as fast as I can, and let it dry the rest of the way, either clipped up in a twist or down.

My hair looks best if it is combed after drying.

manderly
October 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I didn't vote because none of them really applied to me.

I twist my hair to let it dry.....it's in the article section if you're interested.

Finoriel
October 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I didnīt vote either, because: Down days? A whole day? On purpose? Thatīs not happening here :wink:

Krifantasy
October 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I agree with Katze that every day after washing is a down day. I love my curls that day. I only finger-comb my hair now, plop, use Kimberlily's Defrizz spray and then let it air-dry while it is down. I do put it back up when I get home in the evening though.

harley mama
October 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I didn't vote because none of the selections applied to me. I oil my length and go. If I mess with my hair to much, it gets frizzy and I look like a troll doll.

JessTheMess
October 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I add a drop of olive oil to the ends, comb and let air dry :)

Fireweed
October 24th, 2008, 10:19 AM
A few hours to air dry, then in a braid with a bit of oil and after that a bun.

RoseRedDead
October 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I just comb it, and sometimes oil it, mostly.

Marie99
October 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I said just comb and dry, but i would oil also. I wouldn't braid because I get a line where the braid starts.

freznow
October 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I only ever wear it down with braid waves.

JKRBeloved
October 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I wear mine down most of the time. After washing I use leave-in Sunsilk "Waves of Envy" or "Captivating Curls" (they both have the same ingredients in the same order, so doubt if there's any difference), finger comb, scrunch, plop, fingercomb some more, scrunch some more, then air dry. When it's totally dry (half a day later) I'll usually finger comb again, scrunching a bit more leave-in.

chelles2kids
October 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Yep, I'm a comber & air dryer here.:p

tiny_teesha
October 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hmm...I haven't worn my hair down unless drying for the past year except for the odd occasion as i joined the wear hair up for a year challenge (I'm all done on the 1st Nov!!!!) But my hair looks bad down anyway, i would need to curl it, put braid waves through it, all at night and wake up with the waves. If i combed it, it would go see through.

HappyEeyore
October 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ya know, I couldn't vote b/c none of them applied to me.

And comb my hair? Golly, I never do that!

If I've just washed my hair, and I want it to come out nice, I basically put it in a bun and take it out once in awhile, and then put it back up, and back and forth until it dries. It makes my hair into nice wavy curls.

If I'm going to be doing stuff where I need my hair out of my face or it's hot, and I don't have time or patience to do a nice 'do', I often put my hair in a knot w/ the end hanging out and use a clip or stick. I fool a lot of people into thinking my hair's a lot shorter! Totally by accident - I wasn't trying to do that or anything.

bunnii
October 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I voted comb and air dry, but I also oil. I leave my hair down most of the time anyway, but when I want it really smooth I oil the flyaways too :D

Tangles
October 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I just realized the title of this thread is really awkward. I must have been particularly sleepy when writing it.

Adrienne
October 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I voted Oil Damp Bun, plop or scrunch.

I usually wear my hair "down" with just a head band, If I am going to wear it down. When I do this I basically just add product and finger style. So I think thats pretty similar to "plopping or scrunching"

dor3girl
October 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
If I want my hair to have extra body I will twist it up in a bun while my hair is barely damp. This way, in about an hour, I have gorgeous waves & lots of body that can be worn down or half up in a flex-8 or clip.

dreamhair
December 11th, 2008, 10:38 AM
don't know about all this oil talk .. yet and my hair is to short to really look at other ways of doing my hair.

zen_oven
December 11th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I just comb and air dry. I'm really lazy about styling my hair. I do want to get better about wearing it contained now that it's starting to get much longer, but it's tough getting over my laziness.

Ryanne
December 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I hardly wear my hair down. But when I do, I let it air dry, I sometimes fingercomb while it's drying, but nothing more.

GlassEyes
December 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I CO wash with two conditioners, leave some in, add coconut oil, then a small dab of gel, and scrunch.

Sometimes I twist individual curls if I want it to look REALLY nice, but I'd rather not bother. xD;

Siava
December 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I do a gel 'n plop on down days.

hobbitgirl
December 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't do any of those things. Onto damp hair I add some styling putty and a little spray gel. Then I put it up on top of my head in a pony tail (and I look like Charo). Then, after I've been at work for about 2 hours I go into the bathroom, remove the scrunchi and stick my head under the hand dryer. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHH Lots of curls and volume.

Nevermore
December 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I wash at night, so by dinner the next day (generally the only time I wear it down), it's dry and has braid waves and bun waves too. If it was washed with castile soap or conditioner, I brush it with oil to get shine and curls. If it was water only, I add a bit of oil and scrunch the bottom couple inches.

If I'm otherwise ready to go, it stays down. If I'm not, I cinnabun it loosely.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Just comb and air dry, as usually. Because I most often do not plan to wear my hair down at all. Sometimes when I go for a walk I am in a hair-down-mood, so I do it.

kidari
November 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I do pin curls on the top portion of my head, my bangs in two medium velcro rollers, and the rest in rag curls. This gives me the absolute best "done" look once I take them out in the morning and last the longest. It looks amazing in any other updo or half-updo as well. The curls prevent the hair from being too slippery to work with and they provide great volume. I have different textures on my head so if I let it air-day it doesn't look uniform when down. In that case I will just spray some leave-in conditioner and put it in a beebutt bun and if I choose to put it down it will look nice.

Juanita
November 20th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Just comb and go.

zombi
November 24th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Mmm.... I scrunch and plop/plunk and air dry.

HadessThera
November 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I just comb and air dry but I also tousle it with my fingers occasionally while it's drying to speed up the process and give it a bit more oomph, I have very fine, straight hair which can look flat if I don't do anything to it

neko_kawaii
November 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm supposed to plan in advance?

JamieLeigh
November 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I finger comb it, air dry, and then regular comb it. Then it goes up. ;)

Libbylou
November 25th, 2012, 01:57 AM
This takes some planning, wash in morning, let dry. Then Caruso curlers.

*Rose Red*
November 25th, 2012, 02:56 AM
just comb and airdry.

FireFromWithin
November 25th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I pretty much only have my hair down for very special occasions, so I've normally just washed it (as I do for special occasions) and I feel like it looks rather limp when it's straight (it sort of kinks when allowed to dry naturally) but bunning for the day prior to the special event I'm wearing my hair down for usually gives it some curl and bounce. Especially since my hair hold these curls so well, I'll comb it out to natural looking waves or large curls. I've tried rag curls etc but they just look very strange on me, presumably because my hair is so naturally thin and reasonably straight. lol. Blow drying on cold occasionally if I want to show off the length (not that anyone ever notices but one day I shall have hair long enough for people to say "wow")

Bianca
November 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I always wear my hair down and I oil, braid for some hours, then bun or ponytail it loosely :)

Tapioca
November 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
When it was long, I'd just comb and go. My motto was down-do-be-do-down-down. At my current shorter length, I have to do a half-up with clippies or I'll get triangle head. It's wavy and very thick.

white.chocolate
November 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I just leave it as it is!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I oil damp hair then comb, let dry, and comb again. ta-da!

I do exactly this.

rock007junkie
November 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I usually oil and damp braid. Hair looks awesome after it dries.

anitacs9101
February 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I voted comb & dry, because that is what I usually do. I try not to wash before bed, mainly because I will have the WORST hair when I wake up and will have to deal with it for a week when I wash it xD

Recently, though, I purchased a Caruso hair setter, so I foresee more of that in my future :)

88bernice
February 27th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I just spray my hair with water and put a quarter size conditioner or leave in (for almost waist length curly hair), finally I put a little bit of coconut oil or argan oil and scrunch :)

socks
March 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I only go out with my hair down once or twice a year. When I do plan on wearing it down, I usually give it a good brush the night before, and that's about it.

jesis
March 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Well I'm not going to vote because I don't do any of those things specifically. I generally comb my hair before showering, then when I get out, I oil, put some gel in it and scrunch, then air dry!

catamonica
March 8th, 2013, 10:33 PM
After four or five days wearing a braided bun, I wear it down on weekends. It has braid waves from braiding it at night.

Marcellaa
March 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I just let it airdry, comb it and put some serum in it

Soltimus
March 14th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I still wear my hair down almost every day, so I just let it air dry. I don't brush or comb it unless it looks weird. I'll probably just finger comb it, if anything, so as not to lose too much curl.

Vanille_
March 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM
If I want to leave my hair down, there is usually a social reason. I might be meeting new people are friends and for some reason just want my hair down. I usually never leave my hair down, so it is a very rare thing. I usually plan ahead, I wash my hair at least four hours prior to when I will be going out. I let it air dry, but brush it periodically with my tangle teaser while it dries. I try to let it dry as straight as possible. Once dry, I put in some Chi Silk and blend it in with the BBB. If my hair is not quite as pretty as I want, I might use the blow dryer after I put the Chi Silk in.. only for a couple of minutes. I can't stand my hair in my face, so I usually take a small section from the front, twist it around a bit or braid it, and pin it back with one of my pretty hair pins. If I really want my hair out of my face completely, I braid the top section of hair and leave the bottom section down.

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I did not vote in your poll because I do not do any of those options.

If I am going to wear it down, it must be washed the day of or day before.

I either braid it in a paranda or multiple parandi and wear braid waves, in which case I braid damp and sleep in the braids and only finger comb them out the next day.

OR I blow dry it so it will be straight and smooth. The last 6" to foot gets washed with my Dial Handsoap because that is the only way the ends won't be wonky.

That's it. I don't oil my hair.

Lindaleriel
March 19th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I rarely wear up, updos frequently give me a headache. I totally detangle with fingers and a wide tooth comb while coated with conditioner, check the detangle with the comb once out of the shower, then brush wet (I know - but I really seem to need the brushing to get the crown smooth, otherwise it just looks kind of clumpy and messy, I make sure to have it totally detangled before the brush touches it), scrunch the bottom a bit, and leave to air dry.

spirals
March 19th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Whether it's wash day or not, if I'm wearing it down I spray it and plop in a very thin tee-shirt for 15 minutes before letting dry the rest of the way. If it's wash day I spray with flax gel and non-wash days it gets detangler, which is the same stuff I use as a rinse/conditioner. I do comb it if I'm braiding for the day's style or braiding for bed.

Sandrawoah
August 1st, 2013, 10:50 PM
I usually just air dry and comb when it's about 70-80% dry but on the rare occasion I will comb and braid :)

Leeloo
August 1st, 2013, 11:21 PM
Put some leave-in and air dry

Natalina
August 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
I voted clipping, although technically it's oiling and clipping, but that wasn't an option. I just oiled them, twist them into a bun and claw-clip. Half an hour later or more, it makes nice, big waves that sort of clumps together a bit, so it looks less "big" and more under-control.

xohbihitztix
August 2nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Every day is a down day for me. Lol. Comb, air dry, flip upside down for some volume, and let the Florida humidity do it's thing to it.

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time, and tbh my 'styling' is the same whether I leave it down or not (I aim to leave my hair down but sometimes it's more practical to put it up)

All I do is apply leave in conditioner on wet hair (not damp), then comb to distribute it evenly. Then when my hair is partly dry, I apply oil, comb again. Then once it's fully dry, comb again. Voila!

mararie
May 3rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Just comb and dry. I do this every day (except for the drying part of course). I wear it in a bun at night, and sometimes I need to make it a little damp in the morning to comb out any strange folds in my otherwise straight hair.

Johannah
May 4th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Comb an air dry. Still I use oil.

DancingQueen
May 4th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Comb and air-dry. If I know I am going to a party, I will scrunch a little gel in my hair when I wash it, just to define my curls. And I have started to put it up when I am outside, and take it down again when I reach my destination. It is just so much easier that way, and it looks better. I still love to let it flow free ind the wind, though... :P

Larki
May 4th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Air-dry and brush. I'm lazy, so I don't bother doing anything and frankly I could get away with not brushing, too, except I'm paranoid that people will be able to tell that it hasn't been brushed. Occasionally I'll do cocoon curls.

Undomiel
July 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I love wearing it down with braid waves! A lot of the time that's just how it's going to be down for me as I sleep in a braid so I guess it's good that I like it ^_^

DollyDagger
September 13th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Just down with curls enhanced and smoothed as much as possible..pretty easy at BSL :)

Frankenstein
September 13th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Comb and air dry I suppose... If my hair is in a bun or braid that's still wet from washing the night before, I take it down and brush it which usually gives me nice straightness. If it hasn't been washed I just comb it and flat iron my two front cowlicks :p

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2015, 08:56 PM
After a dab of my shea moisture leave in, I comb and air dry.

In Summer when mostly dry I put it in a banana comb to encourage the wurls.
If I prefer a smoother look, just an hour in a cinnamon bun will do it.

In the Winter after drying it goes into a half up or a head band; occasionally a barrette.

yahirwaO.o
September 13th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Usually blow dried, brushed-smoothed with both bamboo and boar bristle brushes, little bit of hairpray or serum and rock down hair!!!! :cool:

Sometimes I use two bobby pins to keep my middle parting perfect, others a half up with a small black barette or a a thick black headband.

And when wheater is nice I just let it airdried, brush it and apply my products mentioned before or put it two braids air dry them and go for nice brushed out braid waves!!!

parkmikii
September 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Just air dry for me, not even comb because I'm a curly :)
I do use some oil though

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 02:52 PM
How do you style your hair on those occasions where you want it down? Heat free, of course.

I got the idea for this poll because I realized that I don't like just combing and airdrying and probably alot of other people don't feel that works for them either.

I added a poll but feel free to respond with other ideas.

As a wavy, I feel damp braiding or bunning and THEN combing works pretty well most of the time. I think if I didn't have layers I could get away with combing only.

The only day my hair is down is wash day, usually it gets clipped up (curly girl) while it is air drying. After it is diffused, it goes into a double half-up (2 claw clips underneath each other with a bit of hair).

Thoughtcriminal
September 17th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Usually it's a french braid without oil (that's what I sleep in every night). I haven't had luck with any overnight curl method, my hair is either still damp in the morning, doesn't hold the curl, or somehow became so tangled during sleep that I have to brush it out (and then goes up in a bun anyway because it's a frizzy mess).