PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying every wash safe?

Cass
January 21st, 2017, 08:22 PM
Hello :)

Ok so i had SD last year (not sure if it ever goes away or is just managed?) Finally sorted that out with Nizoral and i'm now using Redken hair cleansing cream. Pretty sure this is a clarifying shampoo? Do correct me if i'm wrong. My hair absoloutly loves it especially my scalp. Other shampoos are still making my hair greasy after one day, where the Redken keeps it clean for atleast 2 as i wash every other day. My question is am i harming my hair by doing this? It feels so good and my scalp is loving it, but if it's going to ruin my hair i'll have to stop.

Thanks for any comments :)

Anje
January 21st, 2017, 08:41 PM
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Phenoxyethanol, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Fragrance, Pentasodium Pentetate, Limonene, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Stearic Acid, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Amino Methyl Propanol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Wheat Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citrus Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract

It definitely has some ingredients that I don't really expect to find in a clarifying shampoo, including some moisturizing ones like the cetearyl alcohol. Probably isn't technically clarifying (though cleanser concentration would influence this, and there's no way to really determine that), but it's a sulfate shampoo so it's likely to be a bit on the harsh side.

To me, part of what makes clarifying "clarifying" is that in the process you target the length and ends of your hair with shampoo, because that's especially where buildup from products tends to be most noticeable. It's also older hair that has experienced more life and is more sensitive to harsh treatment than brand new hairs at the scalp. Doing that excessively frequently can cause the hair to wear faster, so I prefer to save clarifying for when I'm starting to notice the effects of buildup. In contrast, my normal shampooings involve simply shampooing my hair close to the roots, where the bulk of my scalp oils are. Some of the shampoo spreads down the length and ends during rinsing, carrying away dirt and oil with it, but the length generally doesn't get targeted for washing because it's not very dirty. Also, rinsing out conditioner takes away more gunk on the length. And that's good enough to keep it clean, at least for a few weeks or months.

So in short, to me, clarifying is as much about what you do, as what you wash with. If your scalp likes this shampoo best, great. But for the most part, do normal washes with it. Don't clarify-wash your hair every time.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 22nd, 2017, 12:13 AM
I have a few questions.

Are you still using the Nizoral in conjunction with the Redken shampoo?
It sounds to me like you stopped.
Are you using any oils or anything else on your scalp?

I wouldn't use anything clarifying every wash, but as someone with SD I understand where you're coming from. The harsh sulphates feel good on the scalp but the length will suffer!! You need to continually use the Nizoral, you can't just stop when you run out and then use another shampoo because SD is a medical condition that needs to be treated regularly. I use my medicated shampoo 1/week or 1/two weeks and use my regular shampoo or shampoo bars on the washes in between. You'll find when you use medicated stuff the scalp feels good so you think you don't need it anymore and then you'll switch to something new and it'll flare up again so make sure you continue to use it if you have stopped.

Llama
January 22nd, 2017, 12:29 AM
Maybe just use a sulfate shampoo every wash? Real clarifying shampoos would be too harsh to use every single wash.

If the shampoo you are currently using CONTINUES to make your hair feel really nice, though, I don't see a problem.
If you notice after several consecutive uses with your shampoo that your hair starts feeling dry or rough then definitely switch to something gentler to alternate with.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 02:35 AM
I have SD, the only thing that keeps it at bay, and keeps my scalp happy are sulfate shampoos, so yes I "technically" clarify every wash, which is *weekly*. It keeps my scalp happy, and I double condition to keep my hair happy. It's the WCC method (link in signature). I double condition due to the drying shampoo. I have no issues with it all. I've been doing this for years now. As long as I don't have to bust out the Nizoral (2%), I'm good.

Nique1202
January 22nd, 2017, 04:38 AM
As long as you keep the length conditioned and moisturized properly, there's nothing wrong with using a clarifying shampoo at every wash. That's literally the only potential long-term problem with a clarifying or really any strong shampoo: it strips the moisture from whatever it touches. So as long as you restore that moisture balance with a good conditioning routine, as long as you're happy with how your hair looks and feels, use whatever you need to use to have a happy scalp.

hanne jensen
January 22nd, 2017, 08:35 AM
If you use clarifying poo every was it would be a good idea to dilute it by about 25%.

mizukitty
January 22nd, 2017, 08:41 AM
Lots of good advice in this thread. I'm another SD sufferer, and neglecting my scalp for my length is always a huge disaster. Scalp needs are more important, as it is living tissue that produces the hair to begin with! Yes, you want to take care of your length as well, but scalp should always come first. If it needs frequent harsh cleansing, which is definitely okay if you're oily or prone to SD flareups, just adding moisture back into the length will usually solve both issues. Some people use a clarifying shampoo every single day and have no problems at all, some wouldn't dream of washing that frequently. It all depends on your scalp and your length.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 08:55 AM
Zoiks! ;) Is your hair Fine, medium or coarse?
It says on the Redken website that this shampoo is clarifying and chelating because it removes hard water, iron, copper etc... and is used to prepare the hair for chemical treatments.

I would most certainly NOT use this shampoo all the time. You will dry out your hair. shudder: :run:

Nique1202
January 22nd, 2017, 09:13 AM
If you use clarifying poo every was it would be a good idea to dilute it by about 25%.

I would most certainly NOT use this shampoo all the time. You will dry out your hair. shudder: :run:

I used clarifying shampoos exclusively, every wash, every other day, for years because using anything else on the shelf (until very recently, like, the last 5 years or so) left my hair with a ton of buildup. As long as you restore moisture and oils to the length (ROO, LOC, CWC/WCC, alone or in combination, whatever you have to do to get it done) there's nothing wrong with clarifying at full strength at every wash.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
Lots of good advice in this thread. I'm another SD sufferer, and neglecting my scalp for my length is always a huge disaster. Scalp needs are more important, as it is living tissue that produces the hair to begin with! Yes, you want to take care of your length as well, but scalp should always come first. If it needs frequent harsh cleansing, which is definitely okay if you're oily or prone to SD flareups, just adding moisture back into the length will usually solve both issues. Some people use a clarifying shampoo every single day and have no problems at all, some wouldn't dream of washing that frequently. It all depends on your scalp and your length.

*Totally* agree with this! Well said too. :)

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
I used clarifying shampoos exclusively, every wash, every other day, for years because using anything else on the shelf (until very recently, like, the last 5 years or so) left my hair with a ton of buildup. As long as you restore moisture and oils to the length (ROO, LOC, CWC/WCC, alone or in combination, whatever you have to do to get it done) there's nothing wrong with clarifying at full strength at every wash.

Yep! :agree:

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 09:37 AM

And if you don't dry out the hair in the first place, you don't have to work so hard to restore moisture loss.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
And if you don't dry out the hair in the first place, you don't have to work so hard to restore moisture loss.

Pardon me? :) What are you trying to say, exactly? Some people have to harshly clarify due to the condition of their scalp, you know.

Nique1202
January 22nd, 2017, 12:20 PM

Pardon me? :) What are you trying to say, exactly? Some people have to harshly clarify due to the condition of their scalp, you know.

Exactly. My sebum is not oily, it's a little waxier than coconut oil to the point that at body temperature it still feels dry to the touch, and it tends to get build up if I'm not careful. I need hot water and very strong shampoos, so I don't have the option of not drying out my hair. I don't work shampoo into the length anymore, and that helps. I don't work conditioner into my scalp anymore, so it takes longer to get greasy and require washing. But, I will always have to use a harsh cleanser on my scalp and I will always have to counterbalance that with heavy moisture in my routine if I have long hair.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Exactly. My sebum is not oily, it's a little waxier than coconut oil to the point that at body temperature it still feels dry to the touch, and it tends to get build up if I'm not careful. I need hot water and very strong shampoos, so I don't have the option of not drying out my hair. I don't work shampoo into the length anymore, and that helps. I don't work conditioner into my scalp anymore, so it takes longer to get greasy and require washing. But, I will always have to use a harsh cleanser on my scalp and I will always have to counterbalance that with heavy moisture in my routine if I have long hair.

The very very same here! And I don't use conditioner on the scalp either, can't due to SD but it would get me oilier faster too, same reason I can't pre-poo with an oil either, or put oil on my scalp any other way.

sumidha
January 22nd, 2017, 12:33 PM
Am I missing something really gnarly in the ingredients Anje posted? It's just a strong sulfate shampoo with citric acid and protein?

If it makes your scalp happy I'd keep using it on the scalp, and avoid putting it directly onto the length. A potentially good way to to that is to put conditioner on your wet hair before you shampoo, then shampoo just the scalp and rinse, then condition the lengths again, which is abbreviated here to CWC, there's a thread on it. That might not work well if your hair is too short to avoid getting conditioner on your scalp, though.

I'd be on the lookout more for protein overload than worrying about the sulfates, but that also depends on how your hair reacts to protein...

Cass
January 22nd, 2017, 01:32 PM
Ok, so some very different opinions here.

I actually self diagnosed myself with SD as i had the greasy yellow scaly patches with big flakes covering about 50%of my scalp. I asked for help about this on this board and found out that sulphate free shampoo was not great for my hair ( Thanks Lapushka). I've been using the Redken cleansing cream on my scalp and lengths since christmas now so almost a month. I also use a good conditioner on the ends, LOC after every wash and a mask around once a week. I've had 0 problems with it this way i just don't want to harm my hair. There's still a LOT i don't know about hair so everything is an experiment right now. Oh and i also live in a very hard water area :/

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 01:53 PM
Ok, so some very different opinions here.

I actually self diagnosed myself with SD as i had the greasy yellow scaly patches with big flakes covering about 50%of my scalp. I asked for help about this on this board and found out that sulphate free shampoo was not great for my hair ( Thanks Lapushka). I've been using the Redken cleansing cream on my scalp and lengths since christmas now so almost a month. I also use a good conditioner on the ends, LOC after every wash and a mask around once a week. I've had 0 problems with it this way i just don't want to harm my hair. There's still a LOT i don't know about hair so everything is an experiment right now. Oh and i also live in a very hard water area :/

50% of your scalp in big large flakes, sounds awful! I'm glad you're doing better now. We all have to do what's best for our own scalps. What works for one not necessarily works for another, but that doesn't mean one should condemn a particular method, Annalouise. Just MO!

Cass
January 22nd, 2017, 02:22 PM
50% of your scalp in big large flakes, sounds awful! I'm glad you're doing better now. We all have to do what's best for our own scalps. What works for one not necessarily works for another, but that doesn't mean one should condemn a particular method, Annalouise. Just MO!

Yeah it wasn't nice. Especially when said flakes travelled down my hair and i looked like yellow snow had fallen in my hair shudder:shudder::wail: Oh and the itchyness! Anyway i'll continue with what i'm doing, i certainly don't want that coming back lol.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
Here is a hair treatment for SD, just to give you an example of products formulated for SD that will not be harsh or stripping on the hair over the long run.
https://www.psico.com/product/vanicream-zinc-bar/

A "chelating/clarifying" shampoo is not formulated for SD. It is formulated to strip the hair to prepare it for a chemical treatment, as per the manufacturers claim.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 02:58 PM

What "method" did I condemn? :rolleyes:

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 03:05 PM
Here is a hair treatment for SD, just to give you an example of products formulated for SD that will not be harsh or stripping on the hair over the long run.

A "chelating/clarifying" shampoo is not formulated for SD. It is formulated to strip the hair to prepare it for a chemical treatment, as per the manufacturers claim.

Milder just doesn't work for my hair. I have tried it all. I am 44. I've seen what's out there. Been there, done that. Not prepared to go back to what does not work. What works for me is, as I said before (but you don't seem to want to hear it), harsh sulfate cleansers. I use the WCC method and sometimes ROO, and I use the LOC method. It *works* for me. I don't see why I should change it up. For whom, really?

Harsh sulfates work to keep my SD at bay. I'm also not the only one it works for. Keeping the scalp squeaky clean seems to be vital.

Do you have SD?

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Do you wash your hair every 2 days with a chelating shampoo?:rolleyes:

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Do you wash your hair every 2 days with a chelating shampoo?:rolleyes:

Some people do, but no. I weekly wash. Why the question? I don't get this hateful attitude towards clarifyers and chelating shampoos. Sorry. What am I missing here? Some people actually need those, badly. It might not be your preferred method, but that doesn't mean it's any less valid.

mizukitty
January 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM

While that bar looks like a great option for a mild case of SD, it is not strong enough for people that suffer extreme flareups. It also contains moisturizing ingredients, which some scalps (no matter how you spin it) CAN NOT HANDLE!

The reason stripping shampoos work to combat SD flareups is exactly because they are STRIPPING. They're removing the fungus' food source, which is excess oil and dead skin. Without it, the fungus fails to thrive and explode into an overgrowth. Some people produce a ton of oil and shed skin a lot more rapidly than others - and no, not always because of "sulfates stripping the scalp!!" They need that exfoliation more frequently or they're pretty much asking for it.

You can't just link this one product for all people with a medical condition of the scalp and tell them it's all they need. You realize prescription shampoos exist for these flareups because of how bad they are, right? No zinc shampoo will touch a flareup that's severe and requires something such as ketoconazole.

Hair care really isn't one size fits all.. Especially when scalp health comes into play.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
You can't just link this one product for all people with a medical condition of the scalp and tell them it's all they need. You realize prescription shampoos exist for these flareups because of how bad they are, right? No zinc shampoo will touch a flareup that's severe and requires something such as ketoconazole.

Hair care really isn't one size fits all.. Especially when scalp health comes into play.

Exactly! :agree: I was prescribed Nizoral 2% for a *reason*. Annalouise, you don't have SD, so why try and tell people they're doing it wrong? I've had this my entire life. I think I know how to deal with this by now. And mizukitty is right. It's not always true that stripping oil is just making you produce more. That's not true for everyone. I strip the oil plenty and can weekly wash, if that tells you anything. This is thanks to the harsh sulfate shampoo, which keeps the oil and the SD very much at bay. And it is true that you can NOT use anything "moisturizing" on an SD scalp. Maybe next time be mindful of the people that in fact *do have* SD and know this *firsthand*. You don't suffer with SD, so I don't think this is your place to comment on how this medical condition should be dealt with. And by now I'm getting a bit tired of trying to justify myself and how I wash and take care of *my* hair and scalp. :) Sorry.

littlestarface
January 22nd, 2017, 04:32 PM
Exactly! :agree: I was prescribed Nizoral 2% for a *reason*. Annalouise, you don't have SD, so why try and tell people they're doing it wrong? I've had this my entire life. I think I know how to deal with this by now. And mizukitty is right. It's not always true that stripping oil is just making you produce more. That's not true for everyone. I strip the oil plenty and can weekly wash, if that tells you anything. This is thanks to the harsh sulfate shampoo, which keeps the oil and the SD very much at bay. And it is true that you can NOT use anything "moisturizing" on an SD scalp. Maybe next time be mindful of the people that in fact *do have* SD and know this *firsthand*. You don't suffer with SD, so I don't think this is your place to comment on how this medical condition should be dealt with. And by now I'm getting a bit tired of trying to justify myself and how I wash and take care of *my* hair and scalp. :) Sorry.
Sorry but I never see her going in your threads or following you around the forum telling you you yourself are washing your hair wrong. It looks like to me you take posts personally and I don't see why when most of the time it's not even directed at you.

Unless i'm mistaken and she is directing every post at you then sorry for butting in.

Anje
January 22nd, 2017, 04:37 PM
Break it up, people.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Sorry but I never see her going in your threads or following you around the forum telling you you yourself are washing your hair wrong. It looks like to me you take posts personally and I don't see why when most of the time it's not even directed at you.

Unless i'm mistaken and she is directing every post at you then sorry for butting in.

This is exactly true. Lapushka continually attacks people who don't agree with her advice. And if you read the thread, you will see that I only gave my advice to the OP, upon which I was told by a couple people that my advice was not valid. And it is simply rediculous! This is a long hair forum. And its not one person's platform to dictate to other people what they can and cannot say in terms of hair advice.

I am surprised Lapushka that you have not been banned to be honest.

I've been on long hair forums for many years, and I've never seen anyone as aggressive as you, nor have I ever seen people recommending others to use a chelating shampoo every 2 days! My goodness. If I did that I'd have split ends at bsl.:(

Thank you littlestarface.:blossom:

gthlvrmx
January 22nd, 2017, 05:23 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use a clarifying shampoo for every regular wash because I have read they are too harsh and are not designed to be used for regular consistant use, I have read somewhere along the lines that they are meant to remove build up.

Cass
January 22nd, 2017, 06:18 PM
I really didn't expect my little question to cause such a fuss :couch: My hair has been fine for the past month so i will continue with my washing and obviously change things if i start to find it too harsh. Sorry i think someone asked if my hair was fine/medium/thick. Its quite straight and medium in thickness. Also Lapushka has only ever been helpful when i've asked her questions especially about SD. Please can this not be turned into an arguing thread :(

Ophidian
January 22nd, 2017, 07:39 PM
If you find your scalp needs more cleansing than your hair is happy with and have an oil that you like, maybe you could try a pre-poo treatment on the lengths with something penetrating like coconut? That can help to protect your hair a bit from a harsher shampoo, and you can probably get it out with conditioner instead of having to shampoo it all out.

renia22
January 22nd, 2017, 08:42 PM
I really didn't expect my little question to cause such a fuss :couch: My hair has been fine for the past month so i will continue with my washing and obviously change things if i start to find it too harsh. Sorry i think someone asked if my hair was fine/medium/thick. Its quite straight and medium in thickness. Also Lapushka has only ever been helpful when i've asked her questions especially about SD. Please can this not be turned into an arguing thread :(

They have some nice shampoos out there these days. Clarifying shampoos don't necessarily have to be "harsh", they are just supposed to clean well and aren't supposed to add ingredients that contribute to build up. Depending on how the product is formulated, your hair, and the kind of water you have where you live, etc, you might be able to use something like that and not have issues (and I get that some people, because of various factors, can't). As was mentioned earlier, if you concentrate it on your scalp and let it rinse through the length, the dilution will reduce the concentration of the shampoo anyways and won't be as "harsh" as if you concentrated it on your length every single time. Anyways, if it's working for you and you're not having problems, no reason to change. You can always tweak things if anything changes. I like that Redken shampoo too, that's a nice one. I love that lemony scent.

Cass
January 22nd, 2017, 09:04 PM
They have some nice shampoos out there these days. Clarifying shampoos don't necessarily have to be "harsh", they are just supposed to clean well and aren't supposed to add ingredients that contribute to build up. Depending on how the product is formulated, your hair, and the kind of water you have where you live, etc, you might be able to use something like that and not have issues (and I get that some people, because of various factors, can't). As was mentioned earlier, if you concentrate it on your scalp and let it rinse through the length, the dilution will reduce the concentration of the shampoo anyways and won't be as "harsh" as if your concentrated it on your length every single time. Anyways, if it's working for you and you're not having problems, no reason to change. You can always tweak things if anything changes. I like that Redken shampoo too, that's a nice one. I love that lemony scent.

It smells so good doesn't it :) I don't feel like it's actually that strong? I mean it gets rid of my oily scalp well but i put it through my ends and always condition well and i've not had a problem yet.

Flipgirl24
January 22nd, 2017, 09:07 PM
If clarifying every other day works for you then do it. Maybe try every two days and see if it still keeps your SD at bay. I don't have SD but if I did I would do what works for me. I'm wondering if you could use the clarifying shampoo on your scalp only -a.k.a. scalp wash and then condition the length? And if you need to wash the length with a gentler shampoo? Just a thought but I don't have experience with SD.

renia22
January 22nd, 2017, 09:22 PM
It smells so good doesn't it :) I don't feel like it's actually that strong? I mean it gets rid of my oily scalp well but i put it through my ends and always condition well and i've not had a problem yet.

Same here! Never had an issue with that one. Some shampoo formulas are just really well done.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2017, 12:51 AM

If clarifying works for you, then there's no problem continuing with this, IMMHO. After all I've had SD for years, for 44 years even, ever since I was a baby, it is called cradle cap at that point. I've used drying shampoos for years (even back when I washed twice a week). I've learned that as long as you combat the dryness by conditioning well after, you should be A-OK! So that's from my perspective. Everyone does what they want with that information, of course! :)

vampyyri
January 23rd, 2017, 07:50 AM
I use a clarifying shampoo every wash, full wash once a week and scalp-only washes inbetween as needed... albeit it's a bit of a milder one (Suave Daily Clarifying). I produce a lot of oil on my skin, which also means my scalp, so it builds up super easily. When I was sulfate-free I couldn't get my hair clean for the life of me, my sebum is really thick apparently. I can't stretch washes (tried everything, trust me) so I have to resort to clarifying shampoo to really get my scalp clean. It's genetic, all of my siblings are exactly the same with the OMGSOMUCHOIL gene.

There's no right or wrong for everyone... idk why this frame of mind keeps coming from on here. There's only what's right and wrong for you.

But yes, it's safe as long as you're moisturizing your length!

CoveredByLove
January 23rd, 2017, 08:50 AM
I use a clarifying shampoo every wash, full wash once a week and scalp-only washes inbetween as needed... albeit it's a bit of a milder one (Suave Daily Clarifying). I produce a lot of oil on my skin, which also means my scalp, so it builds up super easily. When I was sulfate-free I couldn't get my hair clean for the life of me, my sebum is really thick apparently. I can't stretch washes (tried everything, trust me) so I have to resort to clarifying shampoo to really get my scalp clean. It's genetic, all of my siblings are exactly the same with the OMGSOMUCHOIL gene.

There's no right or wrong for everyone... idk why this frame of mind keeps coming from on here. There's only what's right and wrong for you.

But yes, it's safe as long as you're moisturizing your length!

Same here!! I love Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. I also use Kenra dandruff shampoo for my flaky issues. It's silicone and protein and oil free! :heart: Head and Shoulders kept my scalp balanced but my hair....so much build up! My hair very much likes sulfates and clean rinsing shampoos. It's the only way my hair gets moisturized, being I have very low porosity. My conditioner works so much better using clarifying type 'poos. LP hair resist mositure, so I need something to keep residue off my hair, because that only makes it even MORE impenetrable. I daily/every-other-day wash. That's the most I stretch it without getting scalp irritation from scalp oils and dead skin (aka fungus food). I sort of dilute the poo. Lazy way: I wet my hair then spread it over top of my head like I'm going to make a ponytail, then duck immediately under the shower real quick to to water it down so it spreads through to my scalp. Then the watered down suds run down the length. The proper way of getting a cup and mixing water with the poo doesn't clean my hair and scalp enough. Lazy way works for me. :D I have noticed zero damage to my length daily shampooing with non-moisturizing 'poos. It runs in my family too. My mom is also very oily.

Dark40
January 23rd, 2017, 05:13 PM
I also use a Gentle Clarifying Shampoo as well by Mane N' Tail. I've just used it twice this month already. Because, I co-wash a lot like 6 or 7 times a week. Plus, I deep condition twice a week, and my hair tends to get a build up on it after a while.

Arctic
January 24th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I just bought the Redken cleansing cream shampoo, and while I only have one experience with it thus far, my first impression of it was, that it was gentle but effective. It removed the kid of buildup my other chelating/clarifying shampoo had not removed, and my hair has been really nice afterwards. There is no dryness but I conditioner well after washing with it.

renia22
July 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Anyone recently use the Redken Cleansing Cream discussed in this thread? I see it only comes in a liter bottle now, and it’s called Clean Maniac. I wonder if it’s the same?

https://i.ibb.co/yyYMMZw/FEAEDA07-B607-4-D2-C-9464-5753-E55-FB425.jpg (https://ibb.co/zR7LLBy)

lapushka
July 20th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Anyone recently use the Redken Cleansing Cream discussed in this thread? I see it only comes in a liter bottle now, and it’s called Clean Maniac. I wonder if it’s the same?

What about the ingredients, renia?

renia22
July 20th, 2019, 11:51 AM
It looks like they tweaked the ingredients. The first is an ingredient list I found from 2014, the second is the current ingredient list:

Ingredients (2014): Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Phenoxyethanol, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Fragrance, Pentasodium Pentetate, Limonene, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Stearic Acid, Sugar Cane Extract, Amino Methyl Propanol, Hexylcinnamal, Linalool, Wheat Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Butylphenyl Methlyproprional, Lemon Fruit Extract, Apple Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf ExtractLess

Ingredients (2019): Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl, Glucoside, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycol Sterate, Cocamidoprpoyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Parfum / Fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Pentasoidum Pentetate, Limonene, Citric Acid, Salicylic Acid, Steric Acid, Saccharum Officinarum Extract / Sugar Cane Extract, Aminomethyl Propanol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydropyltrimo-Num Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylropional, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract / Lemon Peel Extract, Pyrus Sinesis Exrtact / Camella Sinesis Leaf Extract, Sodium Hydroxide (D47572 / 2).

renia22
July 20th, 2019, 11:54 AM
If anyone has been using the current one and has an opinion on how it compares to the previous formula, I’d love to know.. :/

Dark40
July 20th, 2019, 12:01 PM
I agree with Angie. Don't clarify for every wash. Clarify once or twice a month, and just use a good cleansing shampoo for every wash that has sulfates in it but when you go through your cycles if you're gonna use a cleansing shampoo with sulfates in it only shampoo with once cycle then use any conditioner afterwards. Because, the clarifying during every wash can cause your hair to dry out I think. Especially, if you don't have any product build-up. It's great that your scalp loves it though.

lapushka
July 20th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I agree with Angie. Don't clarify for every wash. Clarify once or twice a month, and just use a good cleansing shampoo for every wash that has sulfates in it but when you go through your cycles if you're gonna use a cleansing shampoo with sulfates in it only shampoo with once cycle then use any conditioner afterwards. Because, the clarifying during every wash can cause your hair to dry out I think. Especially, if you don't have any product build-up. It's great that your scalp loves it though.

I sulfate wash every week. Not with a clarifying shampoo, but Pantene Aqua Light is pretty much up there for clarifying with its ingredients. It hasn't "harmed" my hair in any way shape or form and I have been doing this for years.

I think it's up to your own personal routine. Some people have finicky scalp and need a good harsh cleanse, others the opposite. So it pays to adapt your routine accordingly. :flower:

Groovy Granny
July 20th, 2019, 05:03 PM
I use a clarifying shampoo once a month but couldn't use it weekly as it would be too drying; I must use a heavy conditioner or mask after I clarify.

While I use sulfate shampoos, they are not drying in the way a clarifying shampoo is.

I don't seem to have much (if any) build up with the coney/serum products I use, but the clarifying shampoo does brighten my hair and gives it nice boost.

But my hair is fine and wispy and I produce scant sebum; by the end of the week my scalp hair is just starting to feel heavy, but doesn't even look greasy.
I could go another week before that happens but I prefer fluffy hair :o

Dark40
July 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM
I sulfate wash every week. Not with a clarifying shampoo, but Pantene Aqua Light is pretty much up there for clarifying with its ingredients. It hasn't "harmed" my hair in any way shape or form and I have been doing this for years.

I think it's up to your own personal routine. Some people have finicky scalp and need a good harsh cleanse, others the opposite. So it pays to adapt your routine accordingly. :flower:

Yes, I also sulfate wash every week too, and not with a clarifying shampoo. Oh, ok I see the pantene aqua light is pretty much up there for clarifying with it's ingredients. I have never tried that one.

Yes, you are definitely right that it's up to your own personal routine. Some people do have a finicky scalp and need a good harsh cleanse, others the opposite. Yes, it does pay to adapt your routine accordingly. :flower:

Ligeia Noire
July 21st, 2019, 10:46 AM
I clarify once a month only and that's enough. Maybe twice a month tops. More than that i believe it to be an exaggeration. And i use silicones. Clarifying shampoos are harsher than your regular sls shampoos and are not formulated to be used at every wash. Unless, you don't wash your hair more than twice a month. Than i would reckon it to be okay.

lapushka
July 21st, 2019, 12:59 PM
I clarify once a month only and that's enough. Maybe twice a month tops. More than that i believe it to be an exaggeration. And i use silicones. Clarifying shampoos are harsher than your regular sls shampoos and are not formulated to be used at every wash. Unless, you don't wash your hair more than twice a month. Than i would reckon it to be okay.

I used the Pantene clarifying I think over 6 months ago last and then today, that is a *true* clarifying shampoo (of which I have one bottle and a smidge remaining). :lol:

But I use sulfates every wash/week, so it's not that big of a deal for me, I don't need "need" to clarify for real that often.