PDA

View Full Version : Weekly washers club!

lapushka
January 21st, 2017, 03:30 PM
Any weekly washers out there?

I am a weekly washer and typically wash every Sunday.

What about you?

Let's say that "weekly" is good from 5 days up to 7!

Deborah
January 21st, 2017, 03:33 PM
I wash every Saturday. That's all.

WineMom13
January 21st, 2017, 04:42 PM
Saturday is bath day in my house, I get my weekly wash in, the little heathen boy gets his weekly hair wash and bath, and my girlfriend washes her dreads.

Strands
January 21st, 2017, 05:20 PM
ME! I am a Sunday Washer! :D

Ophidian
January 21st, 2017, 05:57 PM
Saturday or Sunday is wash day for me

Cg
January 21st, 2017, 06:32 PM
Once a week here too.

gthlvrmx
January 21st, 2017, 07:19 PM
I wash my hair about once or twice a week, depending on the smell of my scalp. I tried keeping track before of washing consistantly every Monday or something like that, but maybe I should get back on that as well. Every Sunday should be good for me.

Imalath
January 21st, 2017, 07:29 PM
I wash on Thursdays. Very, very occasionally I will wash a second time on Monday morning--just depends on where I'm stationed at work over the weekend.

moon_witch
January 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM
I wash every Friday and washing it only once a week is the best for my hair and scalp during the winter. Sometimes in summer I do wash my hair every 5 days though.

MoonRabbit
January 21st, 2017, 08:17 PM
I wash every Sunday. Sometimes I get a little off track from laziness..."Today's wash day, Then tomorrow it is". That happens more than I would like to admit.

TheLuckyLurker
January 21st, 2017, 08:21 PM
I wash my hair every saturday, but i need to wash and dry my bags one time in between.

Epie
January 21st, 2017, 09:24 PM
I tried to be in this club, but my scalp would have none of it. 😭

I have to wash twice a week, but I found that shampooing twice a week dried my hair out way too much. So I was twice a week but shampoo only once a week.

I do a regular shampoo and condition on Sunday nights and I do a light co-wash on Wednesday nights to stretch my scalp until the next regular shampoo and keep my ends from becoming dry. Of course the con is that if I am not careful *how* I do the co-wash I can end up having oily roots a day after my co-wash. So I just use a dime sized about of my co-wash condtioner on my head and focus on my ends.

The co-wash keeps my scalp fresh for two days. By Saturday morning my batiste hint of color dry shampoo needs to come to the rescue. This is literally the only way I can avoid using regular shampoo more than once a week.

So...if by washing you mean shampooing - then yes I am in the once a week wash club. If by washing you mean all forms of cleansing - then nope. 😂

DweamGoiL
January 21st, 2017, 09:57 PM
In the Winter, I wash once a week (usually on weekends), but in the Summer it averages out to every 4-5 days or so.

reilly0167
January 21st, 2017, 10:04 PM
On Sundays, but once in a awhile a saturday

Anshul585
January 21st, 2017, 11:21 PM
I wash every Saturday or Sunday in winters and in summers 2 times a week. Actually its tough to keep hair from washing in winters as my hair get build up very easily. Also I've to oil my wavy-curly hair daily so if i choose to go out or for coaching then I've to wash my hair. My hairs look awful in ponytail as the diameter of my ponytail is only 2 inches. My hairs look very limp in winters. I can't tolerate going put with a bunbecause that too is very small for my head.

I'll try the CG method. Co washing works great but again build up and tangles. :(

Anyone can give suggestions if they feel like to :) :o

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 04:15 AM
So...if by washing you mean shampooing - then yes I am in the once a week wash club. If by washing you mean all forms of cleansing - then nope. ��

Yes, I meant all forms of cleansing. :) :o

Is it your scalp that protests to 2x shampoo, if not you might try the WCC method (conditioning twice after a wash), this way you keep your lengths and ends happy too and it is less drying.

Epie
January 22nd, 2017, 01:15 PM
Yes, I meant all forms of cleansing. :) :o

Is it your scalp that protests to 2x shampoo, if not you might try the WCC method (conditioning twice after a wash), this way you keep your lengths and ends happy too and it is less drying.

It is not my scalp that protests, but rather the length of my hair close to my scalp and all the way down to the ends that protests.

How exactly does the WCC work? Do I shampoo and condition with my regular shampoo and conditioner and then condition with my regular conditioner again? I feel like just doing a second conditioning with my regular conditioner would not moisturize the ends enough. Should I use a different conditioner for the WCC?

lithostoic
January 22nd, 2017, 02:48 PM
I shampoo weekly, and use water in between. Does that count?

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 03:38 PM
It is not my scalp that protests, but rather the length of my hair close to my scalp and all the way down to the ends that protests.

How exactly does the WCC work? Do I shampoo and condition with my regular shampoo and conditioner and then condition with my regular conditioner again? I feel like just doing a second conditioning with my regular conditioner would not moisturize the ends enough. Should I use a different conditioner for the WCC?

Maybe it's best to follow the link in my signature. A lot of it is explained in the thread already. You just wash, then condition, then condition again. You can either use one and the same conditioner, or use 2 different ones (that's what I do).

pili
January 22nd, 2017, 03:55 PM
This is me. I used to CO daily, now I go anywhere from 5 to ten days, depending on how my scalp and hair feel. If it's all good, I don't wash.

MoonRabbit
January 22nd, 2017, 07:12 PM
Well it's Sunday and I didn't wash my hair :o I think hair wash day might be my least favorite day. Maybe my hair will get used to a 2 week stretch.

Shorty89
January 22nd, 2017, 07:35 PM
I wash about every week but I usually go more by feel than by a certain day haha.

draysmir
January 22nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Weekly washer also over here! If I'm lazy, it might be a bit longer :p My scalp likes it, but I have greasy hair so it looks greasy for half the week lol oh well

Atarah
January 22nd, 2017, 08:13 PM
I wash once a week, usually Wednesday or Thursday. Sometimes I'll do a scalp-only wash one week and stretch the length to two weeks- that'll probably only work in the winter though.

lapis_lazuli
January 22nd, 2017, 08:29 PM
I'm also a Saturday/Sunday washer :). I used to stretch them to every two weeks but my scalp wasn't very happy.

PrincessBob
January 22nd, 2017, 11:45 PM
I usually wash my hair on Wednesday or Thursday. It takes a while to dry and I usually have friday and weekend plans at friends'houses or in public that I want to look fresh for. I am unemployed, so I have a lot of flexibility with when I have free time to allow my hair the time it needs to airdry.

MlleMC
January 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I wash once a week, but the day varies depending on my schedule. Right now it's more or less in the middle of the week, but I think I'll try to bring it back to Saturdays since I have more time then.

Emmeline
January 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I've just managed to get back to weekly washing after having been a daily washer when I had a pixie cut. It needed washing daily - not because of an oily scalp, but because it always looked completely bonkers when I got up in the morning. I'm delighted to be back to weekly washing - much easier on my hair.

lapushka
January 24th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I've just managed to get back to weekly washing after having been a daily washer when I had a pixie cut. It needed washing daily - not because of an oily scalp, but because it always looked completely bonkers when I got up in the morning. I'm delighted to be back to weekly washing - much easier on my hair.

I remember those days with a pixie. I would just spray it down with some water, or wet my rat-tail comb under the tap and comb my cowlicks and unruly bits down again. This way I didn't need to daily wash (which was a hassle in itself). Mind you, I haven't had a pixie in *years*.

Dante
January 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM
I would dearly love to be a weekly washer, but my hair gets so oily and yucky feeling at the scalp after a while that I just have to wash it. I always used to wash my hair every second day, and I now can stretch to every four days (but really, that last day is *not* pretty). I am hoping that with a bit of coaxing, I will eventually get to weekly though!

Mrstran
January 27th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Once a week poo + co was always the norm for me. That is until I damaged my hair and started LHC. Now I'm a Bi-weekly co washer. I have yet to see my hair get greasy, and now thinking about it I really wish it would sometimes. I'd like to have more natural oils.

Anyway, if I wanted to use shampoo more often, I couldn't. Right now even that is too harsh on my hair. (long story) The stretched washes I assume are what is helping my hair the most. Really, my hair should have all broken off a long time ago.

It's just amazing what laying off the washing can do.

Ponymad21
January 27th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I normally wash on a Monday

vampyyri
January 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I have started doing full washes on Saturdays, with scalp-only or bangs-only washes in between... does that still count? :lol:

lapushka
January 27th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I have started doing full washes on Saturdays, with scalp-only or bangs-only washes in between... does that still count? :lol:

Kinda but... no. Sorry. :o :flower: A wash is a wash. So basically you wash twice a week. It is what it is. If you have to wash more than once, there's no shame in it. I washed 2 to 3 times a week for a long time, until suddenly my scalp sort of "normalized" and I could manage to stretch it out. Added length was key in that as well.

I've just started a "frequent washers club" thread. For those of us who wash more than once a week. So you have a home to go to. :flower:

PrincessBob
January 27th, 2017, 06:05 PM
I just got done washing my hair for the week, and while I was at it I did a deep conditioning treatment because my hair has been super static-y all winter except the week I did a mayo mask a couple of months ago. Today I went very simple (honey, Garnier fructise conditioner, coconut oil, mixed) and applied to damp hair, bunned and bagged for two hours, then washed my scalp with diluted Treseme undone shampoo and rinsed, then conditioned the length once more with the Garnier conditioner.

Let me tell you that my hair was feeling horrid at this point, like wet Barbie hair. I was concerned I had made a mistake, because this is a coney conditioner I just bought, and haven't used much with cones in a couple years at least.

I tried not to panic and did my usual apple cider vinegar rinse and it improved a tiny bit. So I rinsed it out with cold water and it was betrer still, I did two more acv rinses and let it air dry for a couple hours, then finger detangled, gently combed and lazy wrap bunned. Still a little damp, but feels better than before I conditioned it. So, I guess it just needed a whole lot if rinsing.

I hope this return to cones is not a mistake.

lapushka
January 28th, 2017, 04:34 AM
I just got done washing my hair for the week, and while I was at it I did a deep conditioning treatment because my hair has been super static-y all winter except the week I did a mayo mask a couple of months ago. Today I went very simple (honey, Garnier fructise conditioner, coconut oil, mixed) and applied to damp hair, bunned and bagged for two hours, then washed my scalp with diluted Treseme undone shampoo and rinsed, then conditioned the length once more with the Garnier conditioner.

Let me tell you that my hair was feeling horrid at this point, like wet Barbie hair. I was concerned I had made a mistake, because this is a coney conditioner I just bought, and haven't used much with cones in a couple years at least.

I tried not to panic and did my usual apple cider vinegar rinse and it improved a tiny bit. So I rinsed it out with cold water and it was betrer still, I did two more acv rinses and let it air dry for a couple hours, then finger detangled, gently combed and lazy wrap bunned. Still a little damp, but feels better than before I conditioned it. So, I guess it just needed a whole lot if rinsing.

I hope this return to cones is not a mistake.

I typically use lukewarm to warm water (about 35°C, baby bath warm), and I find that's a good temperature for me to get the gunk out. I do know that silicone-conditioners can feel different, but Fructis is known to have *lots* of silicones. I used it all throughout my teens, only a silicone shampoo and I never even had to use conditioner. If that tells you anything (and I had dry tangly hair (my ends)). So maybe switch that one out for a different brand, and only use this one on your very ends.

Mimha
January 28th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Hi lapushka ! :waving:

A weekly washer wannabe here, lol. I TRY to keep my washing schedule as weekly as possible, but I have to admit that it's more often 5-6 days than 7. I have a very reacting scalp, and very little can disturb it : if I change shampoo I have to readjust. If the temperature changes I have to readjust. If I exercise a lot or go swimmimg, I have to readjust. Usually to a shorter schedule. But I'm approaching the weekly schedule more and more with the years. So I'm on my way, lol.

lapushka
January 28th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Hi lapushka ! :waving:

A weekly washer wannabe here, lol. I TRY to keep my washing schedule as weekly as possible, but I have to admit that it's more often 5-6 days than 7. I have a very reacting scalp, and very little can disturb it : if I change shampoo I have to readjust. If the temperature changes I have to readjust. If I exercise a lot or go swimmimg, I have to readjust. Usually to a shorter schedule. But I'm approaching the weekly schedule more and more with the years. So I'm on my way, lol.

Hi! :waving:

Maybe just stick to every 5/6 days if your scalp protests too much. Seriously, it's not worth it.

I've just created a "frequent washers" thread, for those of us who have to wash more than once a week, and you can go take a look there too if you want. ;) :)

Mimha
January 28th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Hi! :waving:

Maybe just stick to every 5/6 days if your scalp protests too much. Seriously, it's not worth it.

I've just created a "frequent washers" thread, for those of us who have to wash more than once a week, and you can go take a look there too if you want. ;) :)

Aaaaargh, I don't want to be a "frequent washer", lol. For me, a frequent washer is a daily or every other day washer. And I want to be a weekly one !! :justy: Lol.

It's not that my scalp protests, actually. It's more that my hair gets oily. In the summer because of the heat, and in the winter if I have to cover my head because it flattens my hair against my scalp. Not really an issue : I wash when I need to, but I really wish I can stretch to a good full week. I don't like to have to wash my hair in the week, because I have less time and I feel too tired to take all the necessary care, so I also feel I miss the possible enjoyment I get when I do it when I have plenty of time.

I have also made a little calculation : someone who washes every other day (which is quite a normal standard nowadays) washes about 180 times a year. Someone who washes every 5 days washes about 70-75 times, and someone who washes every week only washes about 50 times. This means so much less handling, detangling, shampoing, (and conditioning), water... and time ! I must be around 60-65 times a year, which is not bad at all. Not yet weekly, but definitely not a frequent washer either.

I'm on the way to it, lapushka. I'm on the way !^^

lapushka
January 28th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I'm on the way to it, lapushka. I'm on the way !^^

It's not a race. ;) :p No, just take it easy and do what your scalp wants and tells you is right. If it is every 5 days, so be it. Can't force it for sure.

Deborah
January 28th, 2017, 09:50 PM
For most of my adult life I washed my hair twice a week. Then some years ago I decided to try the water only washing thing, and stuck with it for 22 months. It was interesting, but I decided I had had enough. I guess all that time without shampoo or other cleansers re-set my scalp or something, but since then I can wash just once a week with no problem. I'm pretty happy with the change.

I guess it was the ultimate, although accidental, stretching washes method.

Simsy
January 28th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Once a week washing only over here. Usually Saturday morning; if I'm working Saturday, I wash either in the afternoon depending when I finish or Sunday morning. If I'm working all weekend; then it's oiled, rebraided, and goes another week instead. Unfortunately, I really need to be at home to let my hair dry properly so washing before work isn't an option.

For those who get greasy hair, or dry hair between washes; I have found pulling it up and oiling the heck out of it helps my curls stay kinda respectable. Don't get me wrong, I will not leave my hair loose on day 6 without washing first; but a nice braided bun and a pretty hair toy will hide a multitude of hair sins from grease to ratty ends.

Oddly, and this may only be me; oiling my hair cuts down on the amount of oil, grease and general gunk it produces on its own; and seems to mean I come out the other side with less overall.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
January 29th, 2017, 03:21 AM
I am a weekly washer; Saturday or Sunday. Although my hair loves water. But my week day is just too rushed to add another wash in the week.

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 03:37 AM
I added this in my first message, Mimha, so you don't feel left out with no place to feel at home! This way you almost weekly washers don't feel left out!

Mimha pushed me over the edge. ;) I could no longer bear it. :lol:

Mimha
January 29th, 2017, 04:15 AM
I added this in my first message, Mimha, so you don't feel left out with no place to feel at home! This way you almost weekly washers don't feel left out!

Mimha pushed me over the edge. ;) I could no longer bear it. :lol:

Loool. You are so sweet and funny, lapushka ! :puppykisses:

So good to feel a weekly washer, even if it is an almost one, lol. I will not bother you anymore, even if I succed extending to 8 days because it is also an almost weekly kind of thing, ha ha ha !

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 04:17 AM
Loool. You are so sweet and funny, lapushka ! :puppykisses:

So good to feel a weekly washer, even if it is an almost one, lol. I will not bother you anymore, even if I succed extending to 8 days because it is also an almost weekly kind of thing, ha ha ha !

It's all good, Mimha, it's all good. I understand. :)

And bother me all you like, I don't mind. ;)

Ophidian
January 29th, 2017, 09:50 AM
For most of my adult life I washed my hair twice a week. Then some years ago I decided to try the water only washing thing, and stuck with it for 22 months. It was interesting, but I decided I had had enough. I guess all that time without shampoo or other cleansers re-set my scalp or something, but since then I can wash just once a week with no problem. I'm pretty happy with the change.

I guess it was the ultimate, although accidental, stretching washes method.

Yup. I did WO for 7 months and I don't get oily anymore. It's taking some getting used to. I find that I'm only washing when a) I added oil and want to wash it out, b) my length feels dry and/or weird from a product or c) scalp is having issues.

Greenfire
January 29th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Hmm, some weeks I'm weekly, some weeks I'm longer, do you allow part time members? I typically go around 6-8 days

Tosca
January 30th, 2017, 02:26 AM
I used to be a bi-weekly washer (weekends and Wednesdays after dance class) but after I finished high school, all of a sudden I only needed to wash once a week. Maybe the stress of high school made my scalp oilier... I now wash every weekend, but it's not set in stone.

lapushka
January 30th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Hmm, some weeks I'm weekly, some weeks I'm longer, do you allow part time members? I typically go around 6-8 days

Sure you can jump from one thread to the next!

Emmeline
January 31st, 2017, 09:11 AM
So annoying. I'd gone quite happily back to weekly washing for the last three or so weeks. Why on earth did I decide to use a cone conditioner on Friday? (wash day). Fine on days two and three. Today - day four - a bushy, frizzy mess. Will I never learn. I may have to be a cross-threader for a bit! It's not that I was looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. No - I just looked like the hedge. It's a style - but not the one I was trying for...

DarkChocolate
January 31st, 2017, 04:12 PM
Once a week, water only on scalp and shampoo on length.

MoonRabbit
February 9th, 2017, 07:43 PM
My scalp has been misbehaving. Having trouble with white flakes recently. I don't know if it's because I stretch my washes for so long or because I stopped using a brush and strictly fingercombing for the past few months. I'm going to clarify tomorrow and see if that helps.

Kae612
February 9th, 2017, 08:56 PM
I usually tend towards once a week or week and a half if I'm feeling extra lazy. But if I swim, I wash my hair. So basically I vary from maybe 3x a week to once in 10 days.... Though my hair usually looks fine after a week, my scalp just starts getting itchy and flaky. I've found that oiling my scalp the night before I wash helps a ton with the itchiness. I'm not so sure what it is yet, I just know it isn't dandruff because I tried a bunch of medicated shampoos a while ago and they actually made it worse lol.

Gaelic Girl
February 9th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Sunday here too! I do a heavy oil a few hours before and wash..OR heavy oil Sunday night and wash Monday. :)

lapushka
February 10th, 2017, 03:40 AM
My scalp has been misbehaving. Having trouble with white flakes recently. I don't know if it's because I stretch my washes for so long or because I stopped using a brush and strictly fingercombing for the past few months. I'm going to clarify tomorrow and see if that helps.

For me when I have flakes, clarifying isn't enough, but YMMV, and you might already have enough experience with this. :flower:

I usually go in with Pantene anti-dandruff, the H&S one or the Aldi knock-off to that. They're all OK! If I get the big flakes though, Nizoral 2% it is! I'm not playing when it comes to that! Itch, red, flaky? Yeah, time for the medicated shampoo again. And I can't stress enough you have to use it correctly. My dad, just came out, is just washing with it and he was surprised why it was hardly getting better.

Stars
February 10th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I wash weekly on Friday or Saturday mornings. Co-wash for 3 weeks in a row, 4th week is diluted Castile soap mixed with an organic shampoo and a deep conditioning masque.

MoonRabbit
February 10th, 2017, 11:36 AM
For me when I have flakes, clarifying isn't enough, but YMMV, and you might already have enough experience with this. :flower:

I usually go in with Pantene anti-dandruff, the H&S one or the Aldi knock-off to that. They're all OK! If I get the big flakes though, Nizoral 2% it is! I'm not playing when it comes to that! Itch, red, flaky? Yeah, time for the medicated shampoo again. And I can't stress enough you have to use it correctly. My dad, just came out, is just washing with it and he was surprised why it was hardly getting better.

This is my first experience with flaking. It doesn't itch nor turn red, I think it might just be product and or oil build up. I wash my hair every 7-10 days but my hair usually gets oily around day 4. I was never one to mind if my hair looks greasy because it's usually up or in a braid all day. Plus it's the only "oil treatment" that seems to work for my hair. Though it is that time of the month and my skin gets very dry around this time. Hmm so many possibilities, if all else fails I will invest in a medicated shampoo.

lapushka
February 10th, 2017, 12:20 PM
This is my first experience with flaking. It doesn't itch nor turn red, I think it might just be product and or oil build up. I wash my hair every 7-10 days but my hair usually gets oily around day 4. I was never one to mind if my hair looks greasy because it's usually up or in a braid all day. Plus it's the only "oil treatment" that seems to work for my hair. Though it is that time of the month and my skin gets very dry around this time. Hmm so many possibilities, if all else fails I will invest in a medicated shampoo.

Whatever works for you, right? :) :flower: I hope you can get rid of it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 29th, 2018, 01:01 PM
I honestly dont know how often I wash. Once a week, maybe longer tbh. LOL.
I wash when its greasy and I DONT have work that day. Which is hard to pin down.
Because my work schedule really varies every week.
My hair is super greasy right now because I co washed 3-4 days ago, but I have to leave for work. I have tomorrow off so that will become "washday" lol

lapushka
January 29th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I honestly dont know how often I wash. Once a week, maybe longer tbh. LOL.
I wash when its greasy and I DONT have work that day. Which is hard to pin down.
Because my work schedule really varies every week.
My hair is super greasy right now because I co washed 3-4 days ago, but I have to leave for work. I have tomorrow off so that will become "washday" lol

OMG my SD would go mad-nuts. LOL! I'm glad you can fit your hair in on certain days, well looks like tomorrow = spa day for you. ;) :D :cheer:

Harini
January 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I don't have a specific day I wash on but it averages to about once every five days. Occasionally it'll be every four days up to every six or seven days. Just depends on what kind of wash my last wash was.
After henna I can go up to a week (sometimes longer) but if I water wash I will have to wash again sooner (still haven't perfected it). Rhassoul allows me to go around five.

trolleypup
January 29th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I average once a week, usually on Monday or Tuesday...but I've certainly missed weeks, especially if I'm doing lots of things that are going to get it dirtier...and I am running around with it up and covered most of the time.

wannabe-rusalka
January 29th, 2018, 08:40 PM
I wash on Sundays because I never do anything on that day and it gives me all day to sit with oil in my hair and relax :)

Salwety
January 29th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Count me in. I have been a weekly washer my whole life ( on Friday) . But sometimes I would wash my hair 2 or 3 times, only if I had to.

leayellena
January 30th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Why long hair?
Because I braid it or bun it and nobody sees the oiliness. I wash/co-wash my hair if I have an important appointment though. Sometimes 8 days passes since the last time I washed my hair. I am either too tired or my hair feels good. I apply some leave-in every day though.

Celtic Morla
January 30th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I was either Mon Tues or Wed depending on how my hair is going. Sometimes I can go 1.5 weeks sometimes 5 days

hayheadsbird
January 30th, 2018, 12:29 PM
It was twice a week, but right now it's averaging out at 6-8 days. Basically when it needs it, or I want to do it.

TT
January 30th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I have finally reached the point where I can comfortably wash once a week! It took a good deal of time and a lot of very gradual steps. First I started diluting my shampoo. Eventually, I switched to diluted baking soda with a diluted vinegar rinse. (I know this is a controversial method, but my M/iii hair has never felt lighter and cleaner.) The final addition to my routine that let me stretch washes just that tiny bit more was spritzing my temple and crown hair with a mild citric acid solution midweek, massaging it in, and gently towel rubbing to get rid of excess sebum. From the start of my stretching-washes journey, at which point I washed about every 3 days, to finish (weekly washing) was about 2 years.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 30th, 2018, 08:08 PM
OMG my SD would go mad-nuts. LOL! I'm glad you can fit your hair in on certain days, well looks like tomorrow = spa day for you. ;) :D :cheer:

Medicated shampoo every once in awhile helps. I used a doctor prescribed shampoo and it kind of just did it.
I dont know what it was but it cleared up whatever it was that was on my scalp. So now I can pretty much do whatever. I cant got longer than 6-7 days but I can do a full week.

edira
January 31st, 2018, 08:08 AM
I wash on Wednesdays. My equivalent of a Saturday.

MamaSwanky
February 1st, 2018, 06:43 PM
I typically wash once a week after a heavy oiling. If I don't oil, often it stretches out to once every 10 - 14 days. I'm lucky in that my scalp doesn't get super oily but it does get itchy if I go too long. And once that line is crossed it's distracting until I wash my hair.

Reservechic
February 3rd, 2018, 01:06 AM
I typically wash my hair once a week, sometimes twice, only if need be. And, most of the time, I wash my hair on the weekends, either very early on Saturday or Sunday mornings. My hair takes around 5 hours to completely dry, which is why, I do it so early in the morning, so that way, it can be totally dry before noon hits.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2018, 04:12 AM
I typically wash my hair once a week, sometimes twice, only if need be. And, most of the time, I wash my hair on the weekends, either very early on Saturday or Sunday mornings. My hair takes around 5 hours to completely dry, which is why, I do it so early in the morning, so that way, it can be totally dry before noon hits.

Me? I wash between 10 & 11 AM on a Sunday, every week; like clockwork. Then I toweldry for 30 min. and aidry for 2-4H, and then all it needs is a little diffusing for 5 min. tops until fully dry. When it's air drying I don't have to do anything to it at all, so that's nice. And the diffusing takes up little effort. But yeah, you have to devote some time to it, at least. :)

Mahahairjourney
February 3rd, 2018, 03:16 PM
That's an amazing thing you do for your hair's health! Unfortunately, I wash my hair on the third day. How did you start by washing your hair every 5 days or more? I feel like that's a hard thing to do because my scalp is very oily... what did you realize after practicing this habit?

Mahahairjourney
February 3rd, 2018, 03:20 PM
I typically wash once a week after a heavy oiling. If I don't oil, often it stretches out to once every 10 - 14 days. I'm lucky in that my scalp doesn't get super oily but it does get itchy if I go too long. And once that line is crossed it's distracting until I wash my hair.

You are so lucky! me on the third day I must wash my hair because it gets very greasy and oily

Kat-Rinnè Naido
February 3rd, 2018, 04:15 PM
I wash once a week, ever Sunday like clockwork. I give my hair and scalp a rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar which helps for my scalp.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2018, 04:20 PM
That's an amazing thing you do for your hair's health! Unfortunately, I wash my hair on the third day. How did you start by washing your hair every 5 days or more? I feel like that's a hard thing to do because my scalp is very oily... what did you realize after practicing this habit?

Try looking at the official stretching washes thread. That thread will for sure help you out with necessary tips & tricks. I would start by reading through it, and should you have more questions, you can ask them there - or here. Good luck!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56574

ravenskey
May 8th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I CWC almost every Saturday, sometimes I stretch to once every 10 days and I could probably go longer but once a week seems to work for me.

Astrid Carlisle
May 18th, 2018, 07:25 AM
I belong here too! I wash my hair usually on either on Sunday, or Monday early morning before work if I don't manage to wash it before Sunday evening time. Rarely, I stretch it out and wash it middle of the week

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I belong here too! I wash my hair usually on either on Sunday, or Monday early morning before work if I don't manage to wash it before Sunday evening time. Rarely, I stretch it out and wash it middle of the week

My wash day is Sunday. I dedicate about half a day to its care. Of an on, it's not that I'm occupied with it for half a day, but it towel dries for half an hour (about) and then for 2-4H I air dry, before I diffuse for 5 min. and by then it's as good as dry (the roots in any case).

going gray
May 18th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Please put me on this list too.

guska
May 18th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I used to wash my hair on Fridays to "get clean for the weekend". Now wash day is on Sunday. I have actually never washed more frequently than once every week. :)

Astrid Carlisle
May 24th, 2018, 03:16 AM
What do you ladies do when if have the need to wash earlier than your usual 7-days for example?
I have been CO washing for 2 weeks now (feels great), but my hair started getting greasier faster (at 5 days now), and normally I'd wash on the 7th day. But due to CO and the weather getting hot, that sometimes I get too hot at night, I feel like I already need to wash today on 5th day, but i feel bad about it. Do you use dry shampoo, or just braid it in a certain way so it's not visibly dirty?

WyntreBlossom
May 24th, 2018, 04:44 AM
Hi "Cartwheels into club". I "spot wash" usually around the week mark. sometimes 5 days sometimes 8 or 9 depending on grease level.

Tell me ladies, whats the best hair style for the day/days right before wash day? Whats your favorite style?

lapushka
May 24th, 2018, 06:14 AM
What do you ladies do when if have the need to wash earlier than your usual 7-days for example?
I have been CO washing for 2 weeks now (feels great), but my hair started getting greasier faster (at 5 days now), and normally I'd wash on the 7th day. But due to CO and the weather getting hot, that sometimes I get too hot at night, I feel like I already need to wash today on 5th day, but i feel bad about it. Do you use dry shampoo, or just braid it in a certain way so it's not visibly dirty?

Maybe, you can switch it up, CO for a few times, then shampoo, then go back to CO. That way you'll break it up a bit, and ensure that your scalp gets a good clarify once in a while.

IMO if you need to wash, you need to wash. If you can only go 5 days with CO, then so be it. Then you'll just have to wash more frequently.

WyntreBlossom, I just wear a LWB (lazy wrap bun) constantly; each day every day. I don't particularly switch it up before a wash.

Astrid Carlisle
May 24th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Will it not get better by stretching and persisting with not washing? Like with the logic behind stretching between washes for as long needed to make it possible to only wash it once a week. That's how I got to washing it like this - at first i used to wash every 3 days, and then I had to walk around with "meh" hair in buns or other do's to make the "meh" less visible ;) so my hair got used to not getting "meh" so fast. Or will the conditioner still make it greasy fast no matter how long I try to "teach" the hair the new routine? :)

Katia_k
May 24th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Will it not get better by stretching and persisting with not washing? Like with the logic behind stretching between washes for as long needed to make it possible to only wash it once a week. That's how I got to washing it like this - at first i used to wash every 3 days, and then I had to walk around with "meh" hair in buns or other do's to make the "meh" less visible ;) so my hair got used to not getting "meh" so fast. Or will the conditioner still make it greasy fast no matter how long I try to "teach" the hair the new routine? :)

This will vary person to person. Since you just started CO, you could try stretching for a few weeks and see if it lets you get back to your 7 days. It might just need to adjust to new moisture levels. But if it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with washing every 5 days, especially if your scalp needs it. That's still a decently stretched amount of time, and especially since it's CO it's not like you're stripping your hair every time you wash. So I'd just say play around, see what you can/want to do, and what your hair will allow, and build from there.

I'm super lazy, so I stretch by accident, and just throw my hair up in a cinnabun if it's being cranky and getting oily. But I also have curls that hide a multitude of sins. But that being said, I'm switching to a twice-a-week wash, not because my hair gets greasy, but because my scalp needs a mid-week cleansing, or my hair needs a mid-week shot of moisture, depending on how things are going.

lapushka
May 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM
This will vary person to person. Since you just started CO, you could try stretching for a few weeks and see if it lets you get back to your 7 days. It might just need to adjust to new moisture levels. But if it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with washing every 5 days, especially if your scalp needs it. That's still a decently stretched amount of time, and especially since it's CO it's not like you're stripping your hair every time you wash. So I'd just say play around, see what you can/want to do, and what your hair will allow, and build from there.

I'm super lazy, so I stretch by accident, and just throw my hair up in a cinnabun if it's being cranky and getting oily. But I also have curls that hide a multitude of sins. But that being said, I'm switching to a twice-a-week wash, not because my hair gets greasy, but because my scalp needs a mid-week cleansing, or my hair needs a mid-week shot of moisture, depending on how things are going.

Also, CO doesn't "cleanse" as well as a shampoo does, especially not if you are using a regular conditioner for it and not a designed CO-wash. Pay careful attention to what your scalp does, and at the slightest sign of irritation: wash right away, and preferably with a shampoo. Don't let your scalp get bad!

Sometimes you can stretch, sometimes you can't (and that's OK too).

Glitch
May 24th, 2018, 11:19 AM
I can make it up to 3 days without my hair looking dirty, but any longer and it looks a super oily mess needing some first aid :p Anyway, I went about a week without washing it just to see what might happen. Although my hair turned out extremely soft and smooth after washing, I don't think I can "handle" not washing a lot sooner - I also seem to get a bit of a headache as well if I don't. It's always been like this my entire life (same with my mom), and I guess I can't do much about it :shrug:

Interesting experience though. I'm really surprised at just how nourished my hair feels after :)

lapushka
May 24th, 2018, 01:02 PM
I can make it up to 3 days without my hair looking dirty, but any longer and it looks a super oily mess needing some first aid :p Anyway, I went about a week without washing it just to see what might happen. Although my hair turned out extremely soft and smooth after washing, I don't think I can "handle" not washing a lot sooner - I also seem to get a bit of a headache as well if I don't. It's always been like this my entire life (same with my mom), and I guess I can't do much about it :shrug:

Interesting experience though. I'm really surprised at just how nourished my hair feels after :)

It's perfectly OK to wash more than once a week. I used to need washes 2/3 times a week as a teen, in my 20s and even in my 30s and it all changed after I had a medical issue (Menière & its diagnosis) where I could barely wash the hair once every 14 days and this went on for so long that I developed SD from it (red irritation, flakes, the lot). I kept getting positional vertigo whenever my hair needed a wash, which later turned out not to be only positional, but it started that way for me, which why it was such a "bear" to diagnose, and why it took that long. But anyway after that "bout" I could suddenly go a week without washing my hair.

It does get a bit oily on Friday, for sure; but then it's Saturday to get through and Sunday = wash day, so that's OK.

Glitch
May 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM
It's perfectly OK to wash more than once a week. I used to need washes 2/3 times a week as a teen, in my 20s and even in my 30s and it all changed after I had a medical issue (Menière & its diagnosis) where I could barely wash the hair once every 14 days and this went on for so long that I developed SD from it (red irritation, flakes, the lot). I kept getting positional vertigo whenever my hair needed a wash, which later turned out not to be only positional, but it started that way for me, which why it was such a "bear" to diagnose, and why it took that long. But anyway after that "bout" I could suddenly go a week without washing my hair.

It does get a bit oily on Friday, for sure; but then it's Saturday to get through and Sunday = wash day, so that's OK.

Oh wow, thanks for sharing! Also, sorry to hear about the diagnosis, I looked it up and it seems pretty harsh :( I hope it's somehow easier to deal with now that you have a lot of experience with it.

Very interesting how one thing can affect another and so forth like a big chain reaction. For me, I naturally have 1a hair up to my ears/eyebrows, and so that part gets oily while the rest of my wavy hair has trouble receiving any (unless I comb it, which flattens away the waves). My scalp is ready for a wash rather frequently while the length could use more time. However, since I keep my hair straight, it gets equally oily so that's okay. I just wonder if washing frequently negatively effects my hair since it's wavy by nature, or if it's fine since the sebum can reach everywhere anyway with it straight. :hmm:

I'm glad to know it works out for you now with your set routine, really frees up the rest of the week when you don't have to keep washing :D

lapushka
May 24th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Very interesting how one thing can affect another and so forth like a big chain reaction. For me, I naturally have 1a hair up to my ears/eyebrows, and so that part gets oily while the rest of my wavy hair has trouble receiving any (unless I comb it, which flattens away the waves). My scalp is ready for a wash rather frequently while the length could use more time. However, since I keep my hair straight, it gets equally oily so that's okay. I just wonder if washing frequently negatively effects my hair since it's wavy by nature, or if it's fine since the sebum can reach everywhere anyway with it straight. :hmm:

I'm glad to know it works out for you now with your set routine, really frees up the rest of the week when you don't have to keep washing :D

I have medicine for it so that makes things a bit easier now. Thanks so much!

It's pretty normal for the scalp to get oilier rather than the lengths of the hair. Oil takes a long way to travel down, and it will never get down the full lengths (except maybe pixie length) before you wash.

Thanks so much! I think I would have a fit if I were to still have to wash it 2/3 times a week.

Glitch
May 24th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I have medicine for it so that makes things a bit easier now. Thanks so much!

It's pretty normal for the scalp to get oilier rather than the lengths of the hair. Oil takes a long way to travel down, and it will never get down the full lengths (except maybe pixie length) before you wash.

Thanks so much! I think I would have a fit if I were to still have to wash it 2/3 times a week.

Oh thank goodness! And I see, good to know, thank you :flower:

Ahaha tell me about it! It sure takes over my life on busier weeks :laugh:

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 01:39 AM
Thank you, ladies for your input! :pegasus:
The hair gave me a surprise and sorted itself out by itself.. I use tangle teezer to comb it (can't find BB brush in this country, need to order online). And last night I un-did the braid I had all day, brushed it and re-braided it to sleep, planning to wash it in the morning before work. I woke up, and my hair looked like it took time machine to 2 days back, when it still looked fine, it wasn't greasy. I thought that Tangle teezer doesn't do anything in relation to oils (which is why i dont brush at the roots when it's close to wash day, i'm afraid it will look even oilier), but instead, i think it actually helped with it, and maybe spread them down the hair? Not sure, but I actually came to work today with my hair down, not even needing to put my hair up to hide anything on it. :)