PDA

View Full Version : Cones on Ends Only?

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 06:51 AM
I'm very frustrated with my hair at the moment. Specifically my ends. They're so dry and getting knotted and I'm tempted to trim despite joining No Trim 2017. My length is extremely low porosity but my ends are obviously a higher porosity due to age and exposure. I wear my hair up six out of seven days and my ends are still dry and knotting, fortunately not very many splits though.

I know silicones are used to seal in moisture (such as in WCC) so if I WCC but on my ends only, then sealed with an oil, do you think that would help? Also would I have to clarify more often? Is apple cider vinegar (my shampoo) an effective clarifier? I've heard silicones will peel off after a couple of weeks, is this true?

ETA: Plus I have a huge bottle of HE Hello Hydration (which I absolutely loved before going cone free) that needs to be used up.

pailin
January 21st, 2017, 07:23 AM
You can certainly use cones on ends only. They'll distribute themselves further, but you'll get mostly on the ends. Maybe a coney leave-in plus oil will help. It really does sound like your ends probably just need more moisture. For me, sometimes it seems like an awful lot-I'm using leave-in plus silicone serum plus oil/butters, and suddenly it made a huge difference in detangling. For me, I needed way more than I thought I should; start with a little but don't be afraid to push it and experiment to see how much you need.
One other thought, do you have any protein in your routine? That can make your ends tangly too.

ETA is there a specific reason you're cone-free? A lot of people fjnd them really helpful, so just because some people do better without them doesn't mean you need to. There's nothing wrong with them and some of us find they save your sanity come detangling time.

mizukitty
January 21st, 2017, 07:27 AM
If HEHH worked for you in the past, there's no reason not to experiment with adding it back into your routine. You shouldn't be unhappy with your hair, and if it is causing you problems, something needs to be looked at/changed.

ACV is a good chelator, but I wouldn't call it a clarifier. You probably need a sulfate shampoo - however, diluting it with water will make it more mild, and it'll still remove build up, if you're worried about the stripping nature of sulfates.

Yes, I think silicones are a good addition to your routine as well as proper clarification biweekly or monthly (with sulfates.)

Rough, tangly ends can mean many things: too much protein, mineral build up, product build up, not enough moisture. There is, of course, also pure damage - but I highly doubt this is the cause in your case if you don't have split ends and wear your hair up all the time!

Hang in there. Don't resort to cutting if you haven't tried using a sulfate shampoo yet! It might be the answer to your problems.

Good luck :flower:

lapushka
January 21st, 2017, 07:35 AM
If you use ACV to just wash; I fear it's not enough and that that is why you are having issues. I'd re-set, and clarify-wash and follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner. ACV, as said above, does not clarify. It softens, without a doubt, and resets pH, but that's about it.

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 07:51 AM
You can certainly use cones on ends only. They'll distribute themselves further, but you'll get mostly on the ends. Maybe a coney leave-in plus oil will help. It really does sound like your ends probably just need more moisture. For me, sometimes it seems like an awful lot-I'm using leave-in plus silicone serum plus oil/butters, and suddenly it made a huge difference in detangling. For me, I needed way more than I thought I should; start with a little but don't be afraid to push it and experiment to see how much you need.
One other thought, do you have any protein in your routine? That can make your ends tangly too.

ETA is there a specific reason you're cone-free? A lot of people fjnd them really helpful, so just because some people do better without them doesn't mean you need to. There's nothing wrong with them and some of us find they save your sanity come detangling time.

I never felt like cones did much for me because my hair just felt coated. Although at that time I didn't know what they did and how to properly use them, now I do. I actually went cone free on accident because I wanted to experiment with making my own hair products. Then when I went back to them, my hair felt off. Once again, before I knew what I use doing. I'm certain of one thing however, my hair hates dimethicone. Whenever I use it, my hair feels like I put rubbing alcohol on it.

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 07:55 AM
If HEHH worked for you in the past, there's no reason not to experiment with adding it back into your routine. You shouldn't be unhappy with your hair, and if it is causing you problems, something needs to be looked at/changed.

ACV is a good chelator, but I wouldn't call it a clarifier. You probably need a sulfate shampoo - however, diluting it with water will make it more mild, and it'll still remove build up, if you're worried about the stripping nature of sulfates.

Yes, I think silicones are a good addition to your routine as well as proper clarification biweekly or monthly (with sulfates.)

Rough, tangly ends can mean many things: too much protein, mineral build up, product build up, not enough moisture. There is, of course, also pure damage - but I highly doubt this is the cause in your case if you don't have split ends and wear your hair up all the time!

Hang in there. Don't resort to cutting if you haven't tried using a sulfate shampoo yet! It might be the answer to your problems.

Good luck :flower:

I don't use protein in my regimen but it could be buildup. I've been using mineral oil on my hair everyday (only a few drops) but my hair is prone to build up.

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 07:56 AM
If you use ACV to just wash; I fear it's not enough and that that is why you are having issues. I'd re-set, and clarify-wash and follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner. ACV, as said above, does not clarify. It softens, without a doubt, and resets pH, but that's about it.

Thank you. I believe I'll do a clarifying wash in the near future and hope that helps. I think I'll hop over to the WCC thread, I feel that may help.

Nique1202
January 21st, 2017, 09:14 AM
If you want to use cones to reduce tangles on your ends, you could just use them as-needed when you notice the effects of the last layer wearing off, rather than using them on a schedule and having to add another clarifying step to your routine. If you have a conditioner or a serum on hand, try using it on the ends, see if it helps, and then see how long until you start getting tangles again. You may have to use it every wash, or you may be able to go several washes between uses this way, if that makes sense. That way, too, your product will last a lot longer.

likelikepenny
January 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
If you want to use cones to reduce tangles on your ends, you could just use them as-needed when you notice the effects of the last layer wearing off, rather than using them on a schedule and having to add another clarifying step to your routine. If you have a conditioner or a serum on hand, try using it on the ends, see if it helps, and then see how long until you start getting tangles again. You may have to use it every wash, or you may be able to go several washes between uses this way, if that makes sense. That way, too, your product will last a lot longer.

That's a great idea, thank you.

lithostoic
January 21st, 2017, 01:10 PM
I'm silicone and sulfate free ... Mostly. I love a good coney serum. Just for the ends! Sometimes I scrunch it in.