PDA

View Full Version : Potential issues with Rye flour shampoo

diamond_storm
January 20th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Happy Friday, everyone!

I've been washing my hair with a paste made of rye flour and water for the past few months. I use it almost every other time I wash, alternating with a traditional sulfate shampoo. I wash my hair about once a week, occasionally twice.

The rye flour has been extremely effective so far, and it's really helped me cut down washes! My hair is less oily after having added it to my routine, and to be honest, it doesn't really ever get disgustingly grimy anymore. Furthermore, it gets hair extremely clean. Like, shampoo level clean. However, it never feels stripped. After I wash with rye flour, I always feel like I have "second day hair" (in a good way--my hair is always a bit flat right after washing with shampoo). When I use it, I don't need to use conditioner, unlike when I use shampoo, and that really cuts down on wash time. I just do an ACV rinse and I'm all set.

All in all, I LOVE it. I would be thrilled to be able to go no-poo and just use rye flour. However, being the thinker I am (oh the struggle... :) ), I've come up with a couple of concerns about using rye flour as a wash:

My biggest concern is follicles getting clogged. Rye flour is, well, flour. The paste is made up of little particles suspended in water. From what I understand, it's possible for dry shampoo to clog follicles and even lead to hair loss in extreme cases. Dry shampoo is also made of little flakes that can fall into hair follicles, which was the basis of this concern. Obviously, when you use rye flour as a wash, it's being washed out. However, it does leave behind flakes. These flakes are too large to clog follicles. But it does concern me a bit that perhaps smaller particles are falling into the follicles and could clog them. For this reason I've been alternating with normal shampoo to hopefully strip away anything left behind.

Secondly, although the flour is finely ground and seems to have a silky consistency, there are solid pieces that have to be rubbing on the hair shafts. Could this be a concern as far as being abrasive?

Obviously, I've had no issues whatsoever so far. But I'd really like to avert any possible disaster by thinking ahead of time, especially since this method doesn't seem to have been well tested yet.

What do you guys think? Is this safe as a long term option or no?