PDA

View Full Version : I might be crazy but I think I damaged my scalp and stalled my growth

Rhoward
January 20th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Forgive me if I sound insane but I think I might have really annoyed my scalp and caused a growth stall. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I started using henndigo and really taking good proper LHC care of my hair about 5 months ago (September 2016), the transformation was AMAZING, my hair also started growing a lot faster too, which was great because I basically cut all my growth off every month to get rid of damage.

Anyway, my henndigo faded and instead of doing a gloss or something sensible I used chemical colour over it. I convinced myself 'your hair is so healthy now, it will be fine, you'll get a cooler colour, you'll like it better, blah blah blah' (I used to work as a hairdresser in my younger years so I have this evil 'hairdresser knows best' voice in my head every now and again. I'm going to have to destroy it, the woman is an idiot!)

I only used 10vol developer and I used professional colour products. But my scalp felt really dry and irritated after I did it, not red or inflamed or anything but just 'angry' and really really dry. My growth has slowed down so much, its hardly grown at all since I did it, I think the chemicals angered my scalp and slowed my growth (of course the colour faded in a couple of weeks). Even my husband (who trims my hair for me) has noticed "what happened to your hair, it was looking so shiny and thick and now its just dull" (great that's what every girl wants to hear!)

I have done a cassia treatment and ordered some henna/indigo and will do a gloss when it gets here. I have been rubbing oil (coconut/caster and peppermint oil mix) into my scalp once a fortnight. Any tips from you ladies to help my scalp health would be most appreciated.

Of course I will never use chemicals again. Officially forever a henndigo head now. :blossom:

embee
January 20th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Very annoying when growth slows/stops. Been there. Are you *sure* your trouble is at the scalp? It might be at the ends, not liking the chem-dye. Also weather and dry winter air could cause trouble with breakage. Hope things improve for you soon. I'd be putting it up and forgetting about it for a while - a month or two... avoiding the mirror, if you know what I mean! ;)

mizukitty
January 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Hm... I would avoid applying pretty much anything to your scalp or around it until it clears up and calms down on its own. Your body is very efficient at dealing with issues by itself without help most of the time, and applying stuff can sometimes hinder that process. I don't think you permanently damaged your scalp - probably just needs a little TLC. I hope it feels better soon and your growth gets back to normal :flower:

likelikepenny
January 20th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Is your scalp inflamed? Itchy? More details please

Rhoward
January 20th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks girls, its summer here so theoretically it should be growing faster. Its definitely not an ends problem, no damage there at all and my hair is not dry, its just not 'henna thick and shiny' anymore. Hopefully a gloss will at least sort that problem. Avoiding the mirror and leaving it alone is probably the best way forward!

Rhoward
January 20th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Is your scalp enflamed? Itchy? More details please

Its not inflamed or anything, it was just really really dry and tender after I did it. It was itchy for a couple of days but I'm not sure if that is just because it was dry.

likelikepenny
January 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Its not inflamed or anything, it was just really really dry and tender after I did it. It was itchy for a couple of days but I'm not sure if that is just because it was dry.

The dye probably just dried it out, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people stall out for a couple of months and then get a growth spurt at the end. It could be one of those things.

spidermom
January 20th, 2017, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't be putting peppermint oil on it. Maybe aloe vera gel, the clear kind sold for skin care.

Anje
January 20th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I know my scalp is a bit dry and grouchy after bleaching, so I hear you. I've found I'm doing better with CO, but my scalp never minded that anyway.

Honestly, with the dullness, the first thing I'd try is clarifying. The color is faded anyway, after all, so no worries about that. Then give it a nice long soak in some warm conditioner, and see if that isn't enough to make it feel better.

As for growth, well, my hair grows in fits and starts. I've had it stall for no apparent reason for most of summer and fall, only to make up the difference afterward. Protect your ends and try to not worry about it. Stalls happen.

Deborah
January 20th, 2017, 11:19 PM
The dye may have irritated your scalp, but I very much doubt that it has done any permanent damage.

lapushka
January 21st, 2017, 12:11 AM
My black henndigo color looked dull after it was bleached (green bits) and then I put black chemical over top of it. The dull part actually was where it had turned green (but you couldn't really tell with the black, except that it looked... "matte" almost). Yeah, the things I did to my hair! :(

Might it be that?

I doubt that it is anything permanent. Just stretch your washes a bit until your hair gets oily, or oil the scalp. If it really is angry and red, see a doctor, as you might need something stronger (cortisone lotion). I once burned my scalp with a "treatment" and well... nothing would cure it but that.

Rhoward
January 21st, 2017, 12:24 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies and support, Spidermum I'll be getting me some Aloe Vera Gel for sure. Ange I will clarify tomorrow and do a long warm conditioner soak, I haven't clarified for about a month.

You might be on to something there Lapushka. Its not green or matte or anything but it definitely is dull and has lost its shine, which could be from the chemical over the henndigo. I'm going to do a gloss in about a week so hopefully that will restore some of the shine.

You think I would have learnt the first time but no! "Oh my hair is happy because I've put no chemicals on it for half a year, let me just ruin all my hard work and slap some peroxide on it!"

lapushka
January 21st, 2017, 12:52 AM
You might be on to something there Lapushka. Its not green or matte or anything but it definitely is dull and has lost its shine, which could be from the chemical over the henndigo. I'm going to do a gloss in about a week so hopefully that will restore some of the shine.

Yeah, "matte" is about the best descriptor I have for it, but I get what you mean. Indigo + peroxide = no-no, even if there's color attached. I hope you can get the "dull" out by doing a treatment on it pretty soon (but I'd give it a rest a few weeks, even if the treatment is "natural" - doesn't matter). Give it a well deserved break and pamper it some with some DTs and such. Good luck! :flower:

I'm sorry this happened to you, but... I'm sure we've all been there.

cgirl
January 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM
The straight perm I got Oct 6 did that to me too. Scalp irritation, stalled growth, dullness, everything you mentioned.:taz: The dullness I think it has to do with the chemicals actually chipping away at the cuticle which contributes to getting rid of some of your hair's sparkle. But digging through the LHC forum posts I've been able to keep my sanity. Here is what has worked for me:

Taking pictures every week in good light of the top of the of my head and for length check so I can actually assess if the growth really has stalled or slowed and by how much. :eye: I couldn't tell the difference for absolute sure until about 3 months after the chemicals. It did stall for about 2 months, but now is growing a little faster than average.

I know this isn't for everyone, but the onion juice on the scalp and egg on the scalp :yumm: have been great to me (not mixed, separate treatments at separate times), I think the sulfur helps to detox the chemicals. Massaging the scalp gently and staying out of direct sun on the scalp.:sun: :couch: Staying hydrated, drinking plenty of water. :spitting: I keep a spray bottle with water, a little bit of Monistat and lavender oil and spray it when my scalp starts to itch or feel dry when I don't have the ability to drop what I'm doing and go wash it.:run:

Unfortunately for me, the change in dullness is at the moment pretty irreversible, but the good news is, it's growing back super shiny.:magic: I wear a top bun a lot now because from where it grows out the front above my forehead to where it gets bunned on a high top bun has already regrown as natural, shiny hair. I do have a high forehead though. By the time it grows out to a braid tail it won't even make a difference. :laugh:

It's going to be alright. :beercheer:

Mrstran
January 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
I see, we were talking on another thread and we both said that we had a major stall. BSL could defiantly not be here by June lol. so this is what's happening?

With the hair dye, I think you could be right. It may have very well irritated your scalp causing your hair to go ku-put.
I do suppose that lots of moisture would help heal this up quickly. The aloe from previous comments is a great idea. I'd stay away from anything strong. Peppermint, tea tree, or anything drying for a few weeks.

Obsidian
January 22nd, 2017, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't be putting peppermint oil on it. Maybe aloe vera gel, the clear kind sold for skin care.

I agree with this, peppermint oil could be keeping it irritated and even contribute to the dryness. I would use just the coconut oil, see how that goes.

After I bleach and colored my hair, it was very dull too. After putting henna back on, the gloss came right back.

Rhoward
January 23rd, 2017, 02:06 AM
Thanks again everyone for all your support and advice. I clarified and gave my hair a good soak with some mashed banana, aloe vera and honey. My scalp feels lovely and some of my shine has come back in my hair and I think the rest of the chemical colour is gone (I can see some henna glints in the sun) I'll henndigo gloss it in a couple of weeks. No more chemicals for me! :blossom: