PDA

View Full Version : another oil question

mandeloo
October 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
so after reading Nightshades article I see that oil seals moisture into the hair and that's it's purpose. So, is it better to oil your hair when its still slightly damp or wait until it's dry? If I waited until it was dry, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of sealing in the moisture? I'm sure this has been asked 43,678 times but I have too many kids and not enough free time to sift through the archives and I am way newb so my searching abilities are deficient. Thanks!:cheese:

Aisha25
October 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
You should to try it different times like once when hairs are damp another when dry alittle at a time and you'll get to see which one your hairs like most.

BlndeInDisguise
October 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
From what I've heard, coconut oil (I don't know about other oils) does help seal moisture in, but it still allows moisture into the hair shaft, it just slows it down.

I agree with Aisha25, everybody's hair likes stuff differently. Whichever you hair seems to like best, that's what I would go with. :)

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Try it both ways -- some people have more luck oiling dry hair, others prefer oiling wet hair. Personally, I prefer damp or just-dry (not dry-for-3-days-now) hair.

Katze
October 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
for my fine hair, oil works best in one of two ways: a very small amount, just on the ends/length of freshly washed hair...OR - and I am still figuring this out - on 'dirty' hair, all over, allowing me to smooth and sleek the frizz and flyaways down enough for me to comfortably wear it up.

If I leave some oil on for a day or so (and can stand wearing updos only for that time), when I do wash it (shampoo then conditioner on the length) my hair is a lot softer.

RocketDog
October 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have tried oiling my hair when dry, damp, wet, and sopping wet. For my hair type (superfine but curly/frizzy when dry) working oil through hair that's damp/wet works best. If I put oil on my hair when it's dry, it just makes my hair feel 'crunchy' until I wash it out, but if I use it on damp/wet hair (I use a spraybottle to get it wet, brush the water through, and squeeze out excess) I can wash it out the following morning and have wonderfully manageable hair.