PDA

View Full Version : Updos / hairstyles for short-ish hair

StartingAt35
January 19th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Hello, I'm pretty early in my hair growth journey and I therefore my hair is only about collarbone length. So when I look for hairdos I find that most of them won't work on my hair, simply because it's too short. So I'm wondering if any of you have ideas or tips for hairstyles that work for short hair while not damaging it with too many bobby pins etc? Would be nice to get it out of my face and safely tucked away from my hands. :)

My contribution is pigtails: twisted, three-strand, four strand...

Coral Grimes
January 19th, 2017, 02:34 AM
Check out Milabu on youtube. She does amazing and really easy to follow tutorials for shorter hair and she is really fun to watch too. :)

Arctic
January 19th, 2017, 02:52 AM
I have tons of ideas in my blog!

Nique1202
January 19th, 2017, 04:30 AM
LilithMoon (https://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon/search?query=medium) has lots of styles for medium (shoulder-plus) length hair. And SilVousPlaits (https://www.youtube.com/user/silvousplaits/videos) has a lot of styles with minimum required length listed, and has recently done a series on different braiding techniques which you may find useful. You can definitely do any french or dutch braid technique by shoulder length, and it'll be good to start practicing those early if you want to do them later, to build up those arm muscles while your hair's still short.

Ophidian
January 19th, 2017, 05:43 AM
I live in double french or dutch braids pinned up in the back, like 3/4 of a crown braid.

StartingAt35
January 19th, 2017, 07:32 AM
I live in double french or dutch braids pinned up in the back, like 3/4 of a crown braid.

I should try that one. I recall doing something similar when my hair was a bit short, but the french/dutch part would make it way more fun :)

StartingAt35
January 19th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Check out Milabu on youtube. She does amazing and really easy to follow tutorials for shorter hair and she is really fun to watch too. :)

I have tons of ideas in my blog!

LilithMoon (https://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon/search?query=medium) has lots of styles for medium (shoulder-plus) length hair. And SilVousPlaits (https://www.youtube.com/user/silvousplaits/videos) has a lot of styles with minimum required length listed, and has recently done a series on different braiding techniques which you may find useful. You can definitely do any french or dutch braid technique by shoulder length, and it'll be good to start practicing those early if you want to do them later, to build up those arm muscles while your hair's still short.

Thanks guys, I now have a bunch hairstyles to try out and videos to watch :) No more boring ponytails for me :D

spidermom
January 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM
My favorites at this length are the french twist held with a fork and the peacock twist held with a claw clip. I've cut back to collarbone recently and am really enjoying how versatile this length is. I can blow-dry it straight, I can let it dry naturally wavy, I can set it with foam rollers or my hot rollers. As already mentioned, I can braid it. Fun.

Hay_jules
January 19th, 2017, 08:59 AM

I was gonna suggest her too. She's pretty awesome.

Cg
January 19th, 2017, 11:18 AM
My favorites at this length are the french twist held with a fork and the peacock twist held with a claw clip. I've cut back to collarbone recently and am really enjoying how versatile this length is. I can blow-dry it straight, I can let it dry naturally wavy, I can set it with foam rollers or my hot rollers. As already mentioned, I can braid it. Fun.

How do you form your forked french twist?

emptyque
January 19th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about this. I usually just do a ponytail, half pony or bun. I want to get better at braids though. I'll check out some of the suggestions here.

spidermom
January 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM
How do you form your forked french twist?

Make a ponytail (don't secure it with a tie) at the nape of neck, hold base with one hand, lift ponytail to align with back of head using other hand, then begin twisting ponytail with one hand while spreading the hair at the base of the ponytail upward with the other hand to create a pocket, then fold ends into pocket and put fork going into twisted ends and out the other side of the pocket. You can probably find a video on YouTube which will show better than I'm describing.

Cg
January 19th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Make a ponytail (don't secure it with a tie) at the nape of neck, hold base with one hand, lift ponytail to align with back of head using other hand, then begin twisting ponytail with one hand while spreading the hair at the base of the ponytail upward with the other hand to create a pocket, then fold ends into pocket and put fork going into twisted ends and out the other side of the pocket. You can probably find a video on YouTube which will show better than I'm describing.

Thanks, you describe it quite well!

Deborah
January 19th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I second the French Twist. It can be held in place with a stick, with spin pins, with u-shaped hairpins, with a fork, etc., etc. Chic and pretty easy.

StartingAt35
January 20th, 2017, 01:11 AM
Braided napes are amazing! Allows you to do high hairstyles without loads of falling out.

SwanFeathers
January 20th, 2017, 05:03 AM
My hair is about your length, and something I like to do is wear an extra thick and extra long paranda. 60-100 strands work best for my wavy hair. I found that it is much easier to make if you find a flat object (example: table end) as wide as the length you want. Then simply wrap the material you are using around it and repeat until you achieve desired thickness.

StartingAt35
February 2nd, 2017, 09:36 AM
I think french braid pigtails might just replace ordinary ones as my go to out-of-the-face-sleeping-friendly hairdo :D Don't know why but when I did them earlier I never seemed quite satisfied with the result (or, more recently, the hair simply fell out), but somehow I'm getting it right now :) Might be the diagonal side part.

Ophidian
February 2nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
I think french braid pigtails might just replace ordinary ones as my go to out-of-the-face-sleeping-friendly hairdo :D Don't know why but when I did them earlier I never seemed quite satisfied with the result (or, more recently, the hair simply fell out), but somehow I'm getting it right now :) Might be the diagonal side part.

Yay!:cheer: I love them too.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 01:07 PM
My go-to style starting at about shoulder to APL was a peacock twist. A French twist or Gibson tuck might work as well. And half-ups, plenty of those!