PDA

View Full Version : Daily Washing & Ponytail Holders

likelikepenny
January 18th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,
So I've been on my hair journey awhile and still haven't quite figured out what works for my hair. There's a few things I do know:

1. I have insanely low porosity (meaning no silicones; even aloe vera juice doesn't penetrate my hair)

2. I have extremely dry hair (I have to moisturize daily)

3. I have insanely thick hair with loads of volume and 75% shrinkage.

After trying to make a style work for my hair a few weeks ago and failing, I had to wash my hair three days in a row and I noticed how soft it made my hair. I decided to try washing daily to boost my moisture. It's been two weeks and it's been doing wonders for my hair's moisture and length retention.

At first I was scared of hydral fatigue but my hair feels strong even while wet and it takes forever for it to actually get wet so I'm not too worried of over moisturizing.

My question is this. After I wash my hair I apply my leave in and put my hair in two buns. I use ouchless hair ties (no metal) but I'm scared that while my hair is damp and bunned, it can cause breakage. they're kinda thin and I'm careful to put the band a few inches away from my ends but I'm still kind of paranoid. Any advice?

ETA: My hair is too short and thick for a hair stick, I'll have to wait until I reach classic (at least) :(

likelikepenny
January 18th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Also if you have any input on the daily washing and manipulation, I'm open to any tips and recommendations :D

marvel-lover
January 18th, 2017, 06:48 PM
If your hair seems healthier with daily washing, then stick to it! Your hair wants what it wants, and as long as it's still healthy, I say go for it! If you're worried about daily washing, maybe do every other day and add some oils into your hair on the off-day. Personally, olive oil works well for my hair and helps it retain moisture, but I know a lot of other people who prefer coconut oil. Have you considered maybe getting a hair towel or a hair buff if you're going to sleep? You can find both online, and hair towels at your nearest Ulta or beauty store. I hope this helps! You have gorgeous hair!

ephemeri
January 18th, 2017, 06:53 PM
You could give spin pins a try!

Nymphe
January 18th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Have you tried deep conditioners, or using one before washing your hair?

I love watering my hair frequently. Even with normal porosity hair, I still have yet to get hygral fatigue. I use a thick T-shirt to remove most of the water, so I can better deal with the colder months.

I have used those types of hair elastics in wet hair for years with no problem. I can only get two or three uses out of them before they break.

Borgessa
January 18th, 2017, 08:14 PM
From personal experience i wouldn't use ponytail holders, at least make sure you are not putting them in to tightly where the hair is being pulled, my hair broke all along the perimeter of my hairline from using a ponytail holder everyday in the same place for a long period of time. If you want to contiue to use them, try to use the band in a different place each day, so that the hair is not being "stressed" by the band everyday. Higher on the head, lower, and a different position around the hair its self, never in the same place 2 days in a row. I would use clips myself, or a different style, I have now taken to wearing hairsticks, but my hair is long enough (JUST) to pull back into one bun... although the broken bits fall out. Good luck with it :)

kganihanova
January 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Ponytail holders are only bad if you put them in the same place every day. Otherwise they're fine.

likelikepenny
January 18th, 2017, 09:35 PM
I'll definitely try to move my bun around as to not cause breakage.

likelikepenny
January 18th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Have you tried deep conditioners, or using one before washing your hair?

I love watering my hair frequently. Even with normal porosity hair, I still have yet to get hygral fatigue. I use a thick T-shirt to remove most of the water, so I can better deal with the colder months.

I have used those types of hair elastics in wet hair for years with no problem. I can only get two or three uses out of them before they break.

I've tried deep conditioning but it's so time consuming and doesn't really do anything for my hair. I find washing my hair for ten minutes in the shower is much more time efficient and keeps tangles almost non existent.

pili
January 18th, 2017, 09:55 PM
My hair also seems to need water daily. I used to wash daily and only stretch washes now because it takes so long to dry (6-8hrs). My hair loved it, but my scalp didn't. I now use a spray bottle to wet my length, especially my ends and then oil it to keep the moisture in. My hair acts so strange, sometimes it seems low porosity and others high porosity. I've given up trying to figure it out and now I just do what it likes.

lapushka
January 19th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Personally, I think if you don't need to wash daily (because of oily scalp), then I wouldn't! I would wait until the scalp needs it, and remoisturize the lengths on a day to day basis. It's all cumulative. You might not notice now, but in a year from now, it might catch up with you.

You have to do what you think is right, of course. But that's just my take on it.

LadyCelestina
January 19th, 2017, 02:22 AM
I'm also curious about how come so many people with very curly hair say their hair is very low-porosity? I don't often understand everything you people do in the routines because I don't have the hairtype (it took me ages to figure out what is a wash n go), but a lot of the things I see being mentioned would actually increase porosity? But then again I'm very confused about porosity in general :D
How did you figure out yours, likelikepenny?

lapushka
January 19th, 2017, 02:34 AM
Yes, low porosity is the hair that can totally withstand a chemical service (color, perms), so if your hair was permed before chances are that it is normal porosity, rather than low. Low is *extremely* rare. I think we often substitute low for normal. Not that low doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong!

Nique1202
January 19th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Yeah I wouldn't be worried about hygral fatigue in the long run. If your hair feels stronger and healthier with daily wetting or washing, then that's what you should do. If it's too dry, that will make it more prone to breaking off. Hygral fatigue's been proven under perfect lab conditions but I've never seen evidence that it caused significant damage to hair in the real world.

As for the ponytail holders, they may not immediately cause breakage but YMMV because I got MASSIVE damage and several inches of split ends from them even when I moved them around and used them for a different style every day. The thread/fabric covering the elastic still causes friction and even if you move it around, it will just add damage all over your hair. I would switch to some other method of fastening your hair off, depending on how long it is and how easy it is to style.

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 06:15 AM
I'm also curious about how come so many people with very curly hair say their hair is very low-porosity? I don't often understand everything you people do in the routines because I don't have the hairtype (it took me ages to figure out what is a wash n go), but a lot of the things I see being mentioned would actually increase porosity? But then again I'm very confused about porosity in general :D
How did you figure out yours, likelikepenny?

I did that strand test, but I don't think that's very accurate. I finally came to the conclusion that I was low porosity because of how my hair behaves:

- Products almost never absorb into my hair, it just sits on top and leaves a white cast
- My hair always seemed dry when I would wet my hair and would take a few moments for my hair to actually get wet. Water would just bead up on the surface of my hair.
- My hair hates oils. I would always try the LOC or LCO method and it never worked for me until I tried using aloe vera juice to seal which worked.
- I've never had any kind of chemical processing (relaxer, texturizer, colouring, etc.) so I ruled out high or normal porosity due to processing

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 06:18 AM
- My hair is extremely strong. It only really breaks when it's dry. It can be soaking wet and I could run it through with a paddle brush (bad idea that I never do) and I'd probably only break 4 or 5 strands
- Protein hates me, moisture is everything
- My hair is extremely resistant to heat (only processing I've ever done). My mom used to press my hair with a hot comb, heated on the stove to unknown temperatures with no heat protectant and my hair was fine. This probably happened 3-4 times a year.
- Silicones don't help my hair at all. They just coat my hair but seeing as I can't get moisture in, it's not very beneficial.

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Personally, I think if you don't need to wash daily (because of oily scalp), then I wouldn't! I would wait until the scalp needs it, and remoisturize the lengths on a day to day basis. It's all cumulative. You might not notice now, but in a year from now, it might catch up with you.

You have to do what you think is right, of course. But that's just my take on it.

My hair gets flaky and itchy extremely quickly. I've had problems with my scalp in the past and have to be careful with how I care for it.

JillRenee
January 19th, 2017, 09:00 AM
I agree with ephemeri and the spin pins idea. I also have some wide elastic hair ties that contain no metal; I purchase these at the drug store and the dollar store. Maybe you can find these where you live. Scrunchies are another idea.

I also have to wash my scalp often or else I get bumps and cysts on my scalp. Does this harm my hair? It's hard to say, it may be somewhat damaged, but is past my tailbone, and seems to be growing again. I dislike an itchy irritated scalp with bumps. I like my hair to feel clean and smell good.

LadyCelestina
January 19th, 2017, 11:05 AM
- My hair is extremely strong. It only really breaks when it's dry. It can be soaking wet and I could run it through with a paddle brush (bad idea that I never do) and I'd probably only break 4 or 5 strands
- My hair is extremely resistant to heat (only processing I've ever done). My mom used to press my hair with a hot comb, heated on the stove to unknown temperatures with no heat protectant and my hair was fine. This probably happened 3-4 times a year.
- Silicones don't help my hair at all. They just coat my hair but seeing as I can't get moisture in, it's not very beneficial.

Interesting, thanks! It does sound like your hair has really low porosity. And I envy you on the no breakage while wet!

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 11:07 AM
For reference, these are the hair ties I use now: https://www.amazon.ca/12pcs-Women-Elastic-Ponytail-Holder/dp/B00KFAA8M0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1484849224&sr=8-9&keywords=hair+ties

Whenever I twist my hair to use a bobby or make a bun, it compacts my hair really small so I look like this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=tiny+bun&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA529CA529&espv=2&biw=793&bih=800&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGybr85c7RAhUryoMKHXKzAK0Q_AUIBigB#imgr c=bLkc7bJyiWRKQM%3A

I'm considering some ribbon ties like these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Elastic-Crease-Ponytail-Accessories-Assorted/dp/B01N7CXJ8A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484848995&sr=8-3&keywords=hair+ties

or some hair ties for kids like these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Women-Ponytail-Elastic-Rubber-Holder/dp/B01L8U85SY/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1484849027&sr=8-21&keywords=hair+ties

Sorry for all the links lol.

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Bumping this

proo
January 19th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Have you tried the diy pantyhose hair elastics?
Very gentle.

JillRenee
January 19th, 2017, 05:10 PM
The Ribbon ties are the ones I mentioned. I also use the last ones, for kids, to hold my braids, whenever I do 2 or more braids

likelikepenny
January 19th, 2017, 06:45 PM
I'll have to try both of these suggestions. Thank you.

CoveredByLove
January 19th, 2017, 08:34 PM

I think we are hair twins, except yours is curlier because my hair does exactly everything you said!

I wash my hair daily, with no ill effects. I use straight clear shampoo and silicone &I oil free dandruff shampoo (Kenra), because my hair gets build up with "moisturizing" shampoo. I never find splits and I have no breakage problems. I live in a very humid climate, however and I think my hair likes it. A lot. Oils and silicones prevent moisture from the atmosphere reaching my already low porosity hair. I like to take advantage of the surrounding humidity...not block it out. I love products with glycerine and other humectants to keep drawing the humidity in. Regular shampoo preps it to receive moisture from the shower by completely removing products and slightly raising the cuticle. I prefer lightweight, silicone and oil free conditioners ( Kinky curly Knot Today is a longtime fav. I use as a rinse out.). It's also no protein for me, unless I want scarecrow hair. :o The only oils I've been successful with are NON penetrating oils, and only in small amounts. My favorites are jojoba and mineral oil. Penetrating oils and butters make my hair hard and tangly. My hair hates coconut oil and shea butter especially.
Once upon a time, I tried stretching washes. My hair broke off. Never again! Most I stretch washes is every other day. So, if your hair likes it...keep doing it! I used to do a lot of experimenting but just found regular daily shampoo works for me!

You might enjoy info from this site:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html?m=1

likelikepenny
January 20th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I think we are hair twins, except yours is curlier because my hair does exactly everything you said!

I wash my hair daily, with no ill effects. I use straight clear shampoo and silicone &I oil free dandruff shampoo (Kenra), because my hair gets build up with "moisturizing" shampoo. I never find splits and I have no breakage problems. I live in a very humid climate, however and I think my hair likes it. A lot. Oils and silicones prevent moisture from the atmosphere reaching my already low porosity hair. I like to take advantage of the surrounding humidity...not block it out. I love products with glycerine and other humectants to keep drawing the humidity in. Regular shampoo preps it to receive moisture from the shower by completely removing products and slightly raising the cuticle. I prefer lightweight, silicone and oil free conditioners ( Kinky curly Knot Today is a longtime fav. I use as a rinse out.). It's also no protein for me, unless I want scarecrow hair. :o The only oils I've been successful with are NON penetrating oils, and only in small amounts. My favorites are jojoba and mineral oil. Penetrating oils and butters make my hair hard and tangly. My hair hates coconut oil and shea butter especially.
Once upon a time, I tried stretching washes. My hair broke off. Never again! Most I stretch washes is every other day. So, if your hair likes it...keep doing it! I used to do a lot of experimenting but just found regular daily shampoo works for me!

You might enjoy info from this site:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html?m=1

Omg this is everything that my hair does! My hair hates olive oil, avocado, and coconut oil but loves mineral and jojoba . It also loves summer which is the only time it get's really humid.

Your regimen is exactly the same as mine aside from shampoo. I just use ACV as a shampoo because it's PH balanced and helps my scalp. Your hair is gorgeous and thank you so much for the link.

Nymphe
January 24th, 2017, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyY69sEzbaI

likelikepenny
January 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyY69sEzbaI

Thank you for this! I'll be trying it soon