PDA

View Full Version : Scalp scars and hair growth

Mrstran
January 17th, 2017, 12:13 PM
So I'm going to have surgery in the next few months. (maybe sooner depending on a phone call I'm waiting for)

As I've been told, I'll have a scar roughly about 2 inches long on the left side of my head.
I'm just curious if any of you know about hair growth and scaring. This may be a stupid question, but if anyone of you has had a scar in such area, is there any chance that my hair will grow back in that patch?

Either way it's no big deal. This question is out of pure curiosity. I'm just asking for similar experiences is all. :D
Even if they had to shave my head. I'd be ok. The point of the surgery is more important. I'm not more concerned with my hair over all else. It would just be cool if I could continue growing. I've gotten to love this stuff
:heartbeat

EDIT:

Sorry I don't have any more information about the scar. I will find out later at my appointment.
Also, I'm sorry about all the edits. Plus I have to really watch what I type as I sometimes come off the wrong way. It drives me nuts sometimes.

Anje
January 17th, 2017, 12:29 PM
My husband has a scar maybe an inch or two long, right on the crown of his head, where he had a basal cell carcinoma removed several years back. It does not grow any hair, but it's normally not visible without close inspection even with his short i-thickness hair. I can say that the surgeon who sewed him up did a nice job with tiny even stitches, and the resulting scar is flat and pale and narrow, which helps everything.

I imagine that if your hair is long enough to fall down over the scar (as opposed to being shaved short enough that it just sticks up and away from it), a scar from a simple incision probably won't show much once it's healed up.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery! I'm sure this is scary and also a relief.

Also, if you ever wanted to try one of those edgy shave-sides haircuts, this might be the time to consider it!

lapushka
January 17th, 2017, 01:33 PM
No, your hair will grow back over it, sooner than you think! I mean you never know, but normally, all should be fine.

Good luck with your surgery, hun. Keep well, and keep us posted on how it goes. :flower:

:flowers:

Atarah
January 17th, 2017, 01:51 PM
One of my sons has a scar on the back of his head, about 3/4" x 1/4" rectangle from where he fell when young. No hair has ever grown back there, but even as short as his haircuts are you can't see it. A half inch and it's completely covered, so I would guess that even if they shave that spot of your head your hair will most likely have grown enough to cover it up by the time it's healed.

Hope the surgery and recovery go well for you!

Cg
January 17th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I have a scar on the left side too. Hair will not grow from the scar but will regrow around it. If the incision is a straight line, the scar most likely won't be noticeable.

My scar is large and much fatter but if I part on the right side, that bald patch is undetectable. Good luck with your surgery!

gthlvrmx
January 17th, 2017, 05:59 PM
My mom had a cyst removed on her head and hair grew back on the cut areas, no scars either.

RebekahE
January 17th, 2017, 06:24 PM
I have a scar on the upper left side of my head. Guess that's what happens when you're in the wrong place and someone drops a board (by accident). Mine is probably an inch long at most. I've never had the hair grow back there but I can part my hair pretty close to it without it being noticeable. No one really knows it's there except for me and my mother.

Mrstran
January 18th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Thank you all. I'm a bit concerned because the scar is already going in a thinner hair area above my ear.
But by what you've said, I'm hopeful.

Thank you for the good luck wishes too. I'm going to need them. It would stink to come out of surgery and have no short term memory and an added attitude problem!

On the plus side, my doctor said with the type of surgery I'm having ( resection of a tumor and my amygdala which the tumor is on ) I might also come out pretty much fearless with no anxiety. Lol

Here's hoping!

(Sorry I had to edit again)