PDA

View Full Version : Hair, swim caps and swimming pools!

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I know this type of question pops up once in a while but I don't remember a definite answer... I want to get into swimming and not damage my hair with chlorinated pool water and I also wash my hair twice a week and would be going swimming more often than that. Has any LHC swimmer been successful in keeping their hair dry under a swimming cap? I did a bit of research and found a few methods that are not always fool proof but might work:

- put a shower cap on, then the silicone swim cap
- wearing two swim caps at the same time
- take a silicone swim cap, cut the crown bit off and use it as a 'headband' then put another swim cap on top of that

yeeeah... and that's it. I guess the trick is to also cover the ears and leave no gap for the water to penetrate. Allegedly some swim caps ride up at the nape. I also wonder if the hairstyle underneath makes a difference? For example if I wear my hair in a bun vs heidi braids...

I bought a long hair swim cap (http://www.speedostore.co.uk/long-hair-cap/806168.html), which has more space to accommodate long hair but it hasn't arrived yet and I'm planning on going today. So what I'll do today is oil my hair and wash it with a swimmers shampoo but in the long run I'd love to keep my hair dry and would appreciate any tips and experience. Once my cap finally arrives I might try the shower cap method to also protect my hair from the silicone cap...

Thank you! :blossom:

Wildcat Diva
January 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Good luck!

Jettabar99
January 17th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I swim about 4 times a week (triathlete). I tried a long hair swim cap but it ripped on day 2....all it was is a headband and a regular silicone cap so i can still use the headband - i cut it out. I use a regular good quality, heavy silicone cap and pull it down well. The google straps help keep it on. I have tried 2 caps but that really didnt seem to make a difference.

I dont find my hair gets wet when i swim (however its usually wet from running/biking first so hard to tell :-) ). But I still wash it with chlorine remover shampoo, condition it well and oil it. My hair feels better than it was now with all this extra care.
I also scrub my body with chlorine remover body wash so as i got rashes from the chlorine otherwise. That stuff is toxic!

Curly276mom
January 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM
I haven't personally tried yet, but bubble crepe rubber swim caps are supposed to be good. That is what I'm going to try next.

hayheadsbird
January 17th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Check with the pool - they might not use chlorine. Ours used UV filters now, so I try and schedule swims with regular wash days when I can just to save time.

Jettabar99
January 17th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Check with the pool - they might not use chlorine. Ours used UV filters now, so I try and schedule swims with regular wash days when I can just to save time.

I have looked everywhere for a public pool that doesnt use Chlorine with no luck!

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I swim about 4 times a week (triathlete). I tried a long hair swim cap but it ripped on day 2....all it was is a headband and a regular silicone cap so i can still use the headband - i cut it out. I use a regular good quality, heavy silicone cap and pull it down well. The google straps help keep it on. I have tried 2 caps but that really didnt seem to make a difference.

I dont find my hair gets wet when i swim (however its usually wet from running/biking first so hard to tell :-) ). But I still wash it with chlorine remover shampoo, condition it well and oil it. My hair feels better than it was now with all this extra care.
I also scrub my body with chlorine remover body wash so as i got rashes from the chlorine otherwise. That stuff is toxic!

Thank you for all your valuable insight! You're right, goggle straps will probably keep the cap in place... I'll see how it'll go with the long hair cap, I hope it won't rip! Really appreciate the tip about the chlorine body wash, I'll get one of those too.
How do you wear your hair underneath the cap? What would you do if your hair was waist length? Does it even matter?

I haven't personally tried yet, but bubble crepe rubber swim caps are supposed to be good. That is what I'm going to try next.

Please let me know how you'll like it, I checked them online and they look very cute and secure!

Ehhh, the pool I went to today reeks of chlorine :/ There is another one I want to try, the downside is that it's a bit further away from where I live.

Here is my update from today at the pool, I can see a little habit forming:
Oiled my hair before, had it in a French braid. My hair was very tangled afterwards, I wished I had it in an English braid. Took a shower, shampooed, towel dried, applied conditioner, went to the sauna for 10 mins, rinsed the condish. out. My hair feels quiet well, it took me a long time to get all the tangles out though.

Nymphe
January 17th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Try wetting your hair first before putting on the cap. Your hair, already saturated, should absorb less chlorinated water.

Anje
January 17th, 2017, 12:06 PM
From my days of swim team (long before I was caring much about my hair, which was BSLish), I rarely had luck completely keeping water out. Then again, I would sweat enough during 2 hours of swimming that my hair would probably have been wet no matter what. Also, it's easier to get a cap on a wet head.

So I'd suggest you just wet your hair down with fresh water and cap up before you hop in the pool, so your hair won't absorb as much chlorinated water when it leaks in around your ears. If you're going to oil, stick with a silicone cap rather than a latex one, but be aware that the thing will likely try to slide off your head in that situation. Use goggles with a split strap or two straps, and position them above and below your crown.

You can probably just CO wash afterward, if you don't want to shampoo daily. There was a trend around here for a while that rinsing with club soda was supposed to react out the chlorine compounds. I can't confirm or deny that one, but it offers another option if you just want to do a quick rinse and keep going with your day.

Chromis
January 17th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I have the silicone long hair one from Speedo (probably the same as you ordered, but your link just went to the main page). My hair does get wet still, although more damp than anything. I bun it fairly flat underneath. I wanted to find the long hair latex one to try layering, but no one has them locally. The latex one does work pretty well though, especially if you rinse afterwards right away. It is annoyingly grabby, so you have to be careful when you put it on and for best results, you want it pulled a bit onto the forehead and such for a good seal.

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Try wetting your hair first before putting on the cap. Your hair, already saturated, should absorb less chlorinated water.

From my days of swim team (long before I was caring much about my hair, which was BSLish), I rarely had luck completely keeping water out. Then again, I would sweat enough during 2 hours of swimming that my hair would probably have been wet no matter what. Also, it's easier to get a cap on a wet head.

So I'd suggest you just wet your hair down with fresh water and cap up before you hop in the pool, so your hair won't absorb as much chlorinated water when it leaks in around your ears. If you're going to oil, stick with a silicone cap rather than a latex one, but be aware that the thing will likely try to slide off your head in that situation. Use goggles with a split strap or two straps, and position them above and below your crown.

You can probably just CO wash afterward, if you don't want to shampoo daily. There was a trend around here for a while that rinsing with club soda was supposed to react out the chlorine compounds. I can't confirm or deny that one, but it offers another option if you just want to do a quick rinse and keep going with your day.

eeek I think I'd rather shampoo with the swimmers shampoo than trying club soda... just in case it doesn't work. Thank you for the goggle strap position tip! That will come in handy.
So basically silicone caps are softer and more slippery than latex ones, correct? Therefore they tend to slip around?

I have the silicone long hair one from Speedo (probably the same as you ordered, but your link just went to the main page). My hair does get wet still, although more damp than anything. I bun it fairly flat underneath. I wanted to find the long hair latex one to try layering, but no one has them locally. The latex one does work pretty well though, especially if you rinse afterwards right away. It is annoyingly grabby, so you have to be careful when you put it on and for best results, you want it pulled a bit onto the forehead and such for a good seal.

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that the link didn't work as intended. Here is a picture of all the colours the cap comes in (http://www.newitts.com/cdn/images/products/new-design/800x800/it054094.jpg?150422) though, you'll probably recognise them. Which one is the latex one, could you send me the link please? Also, why do you need to rinse afterwards right away with the latex one...?

Chromis
January 17th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Yep, that's the one I have! I think: https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Silicone-Long-Hair-Swim/dp/B000FGZSNI/ref=pd_day0_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V0SNK27D6976M13WM1FA Mine is silver and I also have silver mirrored goggles, so I look like an alien swimmer, mawahaha!

I don't have the latex one, only the silicone and I rinse right away because my hair still gets damp. I'd like to get a latex one to put under the silicone because I have heard they are less stretchy and grabby. I worry I am too rough with my swim cap. Lemme see if I can find that one.

Oh! I am silly, lycra! Not latex! is what I wanted for the liner cap! https://www.amazon.com/TYR-LCY-Lycra-Swim-Cap/dp/B0030ATMVK The first review describes the method of layering pretty well and that is what I would do if I wanted to get back to swimming multiple times a week myself.

This might be useful to you as well: http://www.swimming-caps.info/

Anje
January 17th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Silicone caps are softer and more slippery, and they stretch better. I'm pretty sure they won't break down when exposed to oils, which latex ones probably will (like other latex things).

Of course, I'm biased against latex caps. The one I had to wear for school was WAY too tight (even after I cut my hair to shoulder to try to help that) and gave me headaches. Silicone caps were uncommon then, but they were the only thing that fit my big noggin.

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2017, 02:43 PM
oooh!!! That makes so much more sense :D I was wondering what it was about latex that it had to be rinsed hehe :) and latex swim caps are extremely grabby (from what I remember back in the day) so it'd be the worst liner cap that ever existed :) I might try the shower cap method that I found on a forum online - why not (shower cap as a liner + silicone cap). I'll just oil my hair and see how it goes.

hehe I've already read the info on http://www.swimming-caps.info/ - I think that was one of the first things I read about swim caps. I'm trying to picture you as a silver alien swimmer :D my goggles are blue and I ordered a red cap - which makes for a very mismatched combo ;)

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Silicone caps are softer and more slippery, and they stretch better. I'm pretty sure they won't break down when exposed to oils, which latex ones probably will (like other latex things).

Of course, I'm biased against latex caps. The one I had to wear for school was WAY too tight (even after I cut my hair to shoulder to try to help that) and gave me headaches. Silicone caps were uncommon then, but they were the only thing that fit my big noggin.

until a few days ago my knowledge was way limited when it comes to swim caps - but i do remember the latex ones, they were horrible. I remember my parents being super happy when they discovered fabric caps.

stachelbeere
January 18th, 2017, 12:49 PM
A little update, if anyone cares :D : I got my long hair swim cap in the mail and I have to say it is the devil! The static I have from trying it on dry hair! :/
I think it's going to ride up at the nape and ears in the pool unfortunately - I now think that I overestimated my hair length/ thickness as there is "plenty of space" in the cap - as in it's very wrinkly - is it supposed to be wrinkly? But it does form a tight seal an I can slide it over my ears.

The shower cap underneath the silicone cap helps a bit from the static I found.

If I have any more insights I'll be sharing it here occasionally

Wildcat Diva
January 19th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I do care. It's needed info. Thanks.

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Thank you Wildcat Diva!

So a little update: I oiled my hair and put the long hair swim cap onto dry hair. Unfortunately the water seeped through :( at first the seal held well but I think the combination of trapped air in the swim cap and the fact that the cap at some point pushed itself a bit over my ears made the water come through. Oh well, I learned something new. On the bright side, it's rather comfortable to wear it, it's not terrible and my hair is beautifully chelated and silky, tangle free :)

dulce
January 25th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I do a caterpillar braid[plastic swimcaps for me don't keep water out so I don't wear them] with my almost bcl hair in my daily advanced water aerobics classes.I then use a swimmers shampoo[removes chlorine] and good conditioner after the class .I use no heat at all on my hair.My hair is not coloured and has stayed in very good condition in spite of my daily classes.The caterpillar braid does not tangle and is easy to get out after class.

stachelbeere
March 2nd, 2017, 08:14 AM
I do a caterpillar braid[plastic swimcaps for me don't keep water out so I don't wear them] with my almost bcl hair in my daily advanced water aerobics classes.I then use a swimmers shampoo[removes chlorine] and good conditioner after the class .I use no heat at all on my hair.My hair is not coloured and has stayed in very good condition in spite of my daily classes.The caterpillar braid does not tangle and is easy to get out after class.

Hi dulce, sorry for not replying back in January, I thought I have! What is a caterpillar braid? I remember trying to google it but couldn't find it. Would love to know more. It's good to know you can keep your hair in great shape in spite of using strong shampoos very often

stachelbeere
March 2nd, 2017, 08:23 AM
I just wanted to post a quick update:

I've been swimming for a while now and it's going well! I'm loving it, my body feels a lot better ("energised") and I also lost a bit of weight, although that is not my main goal. My main goal is fitness and strength (weight loss as a side effect.)

As for my hair - it does get wet every time I swim so I usually swim twice a week (rarely three times) and that is wash day for me. I oil my hair for extra protection from the chlorine. I do feel that my hair is a bit on the dryer side though...not sure how to proceed with that. I use a clarifying shampoo (which has ingredients that remove chlorine from the hair) every time, apply good conditioner, go to the sauna for 10 minutes and wash it off. I use a blow dryer on cool to dry my hair - if I don't do it I don't bother to dry my hair at home and it's still wet by the evening.

I did find that my skin was suffering from chlorine exposure so I protect my face with a solid layer of shea butter (which also makes my goggles stick better to my face - I think).

so yeah, apart from dryness it's alright :)

Reyesuela
March 2nd, 2017, 12:03 PM
I'd make sure to start with wet hair with a conditioner on it to protect it.

My scalp can NOT handle chlorine at the moment with the hair growing product I'm using.

stachelbeere
March 2nd, 2017, 01:12 PM
I'd make sure to start with wet hair with a conditioner on it to protect it.

My scalp can NOT handle chlorine at the moment with the hair growing product I'm using.

Chlorine is very harsh...
I think that the main culprit is that I don't use quiet enough conditioner after shampooing. Today I used a bit more than I usually do and it seems to have helped a bit...
But I do have a few shi**y conditioners that I don't use - I'll try to use those before putting my swim cap on, maybe it'll help :shrug:

Reyesuela
March 2nd, 2017, 02:09 PM
Something coney might help a little, if you keep it on under the cap. And coconut oil before would keep chlorine out of the cortex!

I'm doing minoxidil and ketoconazole shampoo, so my scalp is delicate now!!! I itched for two days the last time I swam.

stachelbeere
March 3rd, 2017, 04:05 AM
Something coney might help a little, if you keep it on under the cap. And coconut oil before would keep chlorine out of the cortex!

I'm doing minoxidil and ketoconazole shampoo, so my scalp is delicate now!!! I itched for two days the last time I swam.

cones + my hair = disaster :/
it took me 2-3 washes (with clarifying shampoo) to get my latest coney experiment out, I could still smell it for a while! I think I'll just stick with oiling and will increase the amount of conditioner I use after washing my hair. I might give putting conditioner before swimming a shot as I have a few unused ones that I'm not too keen on. Thank you for your tips <3

Curly276mom
March 5th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Reporting back on the crepe rubber cap.. It looks super retro, and it did a great job of keeping the top of my head dry. I didn't try full submersion, and I did get some water in the back. Probably mostly due to a poorly positioned bun. Promising so far.

Babetriz
March 6th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I swam competitively for a while, ending up swimming varsity for my high school for my freshman and sophomore years. At that point, I didn't really care about my hair, but you seem to be doing basically everything that kept my hair from becoming a dry and frazzled mess. Swim caps aren't designed to keep your hair dry (they can, but that isn't guaranteed), but from talking to the other girls, there seems to be a pretty universal consensus. If you braid your hair and tuck it up high, you will be able to keep the length pretty dry. Also, if you are having issues with water seeping under around your ears and at the nape, it helps to tug the front down as far as possible on your forehead. Best of luck on all the swimming!