PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting healthy hair

Mandymandymandy
January 16th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Any advice tips for getting new hair growth to become healthier shinier stronger ?
any certain vitamins ? What's your hair care
thanks

lunasea
January 16th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Eat healthy
get sleep
exercise
no dye
no blow frying
no flat irons
no ripping hair tools through it
wear it up out of the way
stretch time between washes
keep the ends hydrated with whatever works

vampyyri
January 16th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Well that's a really loaded question, but it boils down to less mechanical damage, less chemical damage, less heat damage, moisturizing and using protein when needed.

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Any advice tips for getting new hair growth to become healthier shinier stronger ?
any certain vitamins ? What's your hair care
thanks

You ask a lot of questions, but give us little to go on. I've noticed that when we ask you about your routine that you don't answer (I asked you in a different thread).

Can you give us more on your routine, first? :)

Mrstran
January 16th, 2017, 01:09 PM
The only thing I have found was healthy food and a ton of water. It seemed to work wonders for me

sorry I had to edit. I misunderstood the question

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 16th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Take care of your body.
Take your dailys
Eat right
Get good sleep
Drink plenty of water
Take care of your scalp if you have scalp problems
Get a handle on stress

You can't really make your hair grow out "better" you're kind of just born with the hair you have and if you take care of yourself and don't appear to have health problems, it'll come out the way it comes out.

That's the only advice I can give with such little information

Ophidian
January 16th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Just jumping in to agree that details about your routine currently would help to get the answers you are looking for :). I saw in another thread that you mentioned you used Redken Soft conditioner and a BedHead shampoo. How often do you wash? When you wash, do you just pile on top of your head and scrub? Do you brush it while it's wet? Hair is much more fragile when wet. Do you tend to wear it up or down? Some styles can protect your hair more (buns/braids), while some can be a little hard on your hair (ponytails, wearing it down if it's getting caught on things...). Little details like that will help us help you. If you can give any info about your hair texture (fine/medium/coarse strands, thin or thick total volume, straight/wavey/curly+) this would help as well. From personal experience, some hair types can really fight back if you aren't giving them what they want, even if it's not necessarily damaged.

MoniLein
January 16th, 2017, 02:38 PM
I can only repeat, what others said before:

- reduce stress
- eat good (without the needed nutrients your body can't make healthy hair)
- learn to love your hair the way it is (that reduceses your stress and you have an easier time finding your personal hair care)

Mandymandymandy
January 16th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Thanks for reply !
I wash once or twice a week as was told helped I massage the shampoo ! I done hairdressing so the washing part I'm ok with !
I think I have high porosity hair
It's medium thickness used to be thicker
The top layer is like I have short bits and some are kinky worry looking and if I rub my finger along some they feel ridged not smooth ! Also the colour is different it's like patchy if it makes sence
I wear my hair in two braids no heat atall and no colour

Just jumping in toare looking for :). I saw in another thread that you mentioned you used Redken Soft conditioner and a BedHead shampoo. How often do you wash? When you wash, do you just pile on top of your head and scrub? Do you brush it while it's wet? Hair is much more fragile when wet. Do you tend to wear it up or down? Some styles can protect your hair more (buns/braids), while some can be a little hard on your hair (ponytails, wearing it down if it's getting caught on things...). Little details like that will help us help you. If you can give any info about your hair texture (fine/medium/coarse strands, thin or thick total volume, straight/wavey/curly+) this would help as well. From personal experience, some hair types can really fight back if you aren't giving them what they want, even if it's not necessarily damaged.

vampyyri
January 16th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Thanks for reply !
I wash once or twice a week as was told helped I massage the shampoo ! I done hairdressing so the washing part I'm ok with !
I think I have high porosity hair
It's medium thickness used to be thicker
The top layer is like I have short bits and some are kinky worry looking and if I rub my finger along some they feel ridged not smooth ! Also the colour is different it's like patchy if it makes sence
I wear my hair in two braids no heat atall and no colour

A picture of your hair would help immensely too, because I'm having a hard time picturing it.

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 03:03 PM
A picture of your hair would help immensely too, because I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Second that.

Also, it seems to me that English is not your mother tongue. Where are you from, if I may be so curious? :)

Anje
January 16th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Wear your hair contained to protect it.
Comb gently.
Don't cut it too much.
Don't perm, dye, or heat style too much, and realize that if you choose to do so, you probably won't be able to grow as long in as nice condition. (Still, for some people this is a worthwhile trade.)
Generally take good care of yourself and address nagging health problems.
Pay attention to what works for your hair and scalp, and don't stick to things that aren't working well just because you want them to.

MsPharaohMoan
January 16th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Vitamin cheeeeeese x3

But seriously be a conscious consumer regarding vitamins. It seems to be the latest craze.

Mandymandymandy
January 17th, 2017, 01:23 AM
How do I post a picture on hear ?
I'm from the uk it's just I'm on my phone and the autocorrect changes some words I write lol !

Chromis
January 17th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7240&p=159789&viewfull=1#post159789

Short answer, you will want to host it somewhere like Flickr, Photobucket, or Imgr. (You don't have enough posts to access the album features yet)

Mandymandymandy
January 17th, 2017, 07:03 AM
http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Amanda2017/media/IMG_4179_zpsmzcvhsew.jpg.html
Hopefully this pic works

Mandymandymandy
January 17th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I have uploaded a pic hope it works

lapushka
January 17th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I saw your picture in another thread (I hope it's the same one, because I have issues with my ad blocker & photobucket so I'm not going to take a second look - sorry). I think that is perfectly *normal* hair. Nothing to worry about. :flower:

Ophidian
January 17th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Honestly from the pic your hair looks a lot like mine. I have some hairs that are different textures than others, some baby hairs sticking up, and it's very sensitive to humidity. If I get out of the shower and just leave it as is it feels super rough when its dries.) It's not damage it's just hair with ummm personality ;). What works for me is lightly oiling and braiding damp. But like others have said, take good care of yourself, drink lots of water, and maybe try a few washing methods until you find something that you like. I would start with CWC because it's pretty straightforward and you can use products you already have, if you like them but want a little more moisture.

Mandymandymandy
January 17th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Thank you there just a pain they stick up and look wirey all over the top and all different lengths it was never like that before!
What's Cwc ?

Honestly from the pic your hair looks a lot like mine. I have some hairs that are different textures than others, some baby hairs sticking up, and it's very sensitive to humidity. If I get out of the shower and just leave it as is it feels super rough when its dries.) It's not damage it's just hair with ummm personality ;). What works for me is lightly oiling and braiding damp. But like others have said, take good care of yourself, drink lots of water, and maybe try a few washing methods until you find something that you like. I would start with CWC because it's pretty straightforward and you can use products you already have, if you like them but want a little more moisture.

Ophidian
January 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Yeah, my hair does that. Hair texture can change. Mine was much straighter when I was younger. CWC is condition-wash-condition. Basically you wet hair, put conditioner from the ears down, shampoo the scalp, rinse it all out, and condition again. There is a thread on CWC with more info. If your current conditioner is making your hair feel weird try something else (vampyrri has some suggestions you could try).

Dark40
January 17th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Eat Healthy
Drink plenty of water
Take care of your body
Do deep moisturizing conditioning treatments twice a week. Do protein treatments once a month. Stay away from scissors. Trim only once or twice a year.

Mandymandymandy
January 18th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Do you find conditioners with protein in them can dry your hair out and make it more brittle ecspecially second day after washing ?
Thanks for replying
Yeah, my hair does that. Hair texture can change. Mine was much straighter when I was younger. CWC is condition-wash-condition. Basically you wet hair, put conditioner from the ears down, shampoo the scalp, rinse it all out, and condition again. There is a thread on CWC with more info. If your current conditioner is making your hair feel weird try something else (vampyrri has some suggestions you could try).

Ophidian
January 18th, 2017, 01:15 AM
Do you find conditioners with protein in them can dry your hair out and make it more brittle ecspecially second day after washing ?
Thanks for replying

I was actually just thinking about that. Like literally a minute ago :) (this is what I get for drinking coffee after 4 pm). My hair has been feeling a little rough lately and I'm starting to wonder if maybe it doesn't love protein so much. That or it's just winter dryness, but I'm going to try a protein free conditioner and see if I feel any difference. Can't hurt!

Mandymandymandy
January 18th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Yes I will be doing the same I hope it helps as when I used to use Pantene few years ago (don't think it has protein ) my hair was fine but I think they changed the formula and it wasn't doing anything for me any more
Let me know how you get on with a protein free conditioner

I was actually just thinking about that. Like literally a minute ago :) (this is what I get for drinking coffee after 4 pm). My hair has been feeling a little rough lately and I'm starting to wonder if maybe it doesn't love protein so much. That or it's just winter dryness, but I'm going to try a protein free conditioner and see if I feel any difference. Can't hurt!

kganihanova
January 18th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Eat healthy
Be active
Don't touch it too much
Wash less