PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a pixie cut & concerns about previous hair breakage

Gymah
January 15th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here!:waving:
I currently have a pixie cut and I'm considering growing it out. However, when I previously had my hair long I had a lot of breakage/ frizz (hence why I decided to cut it all off...); there was some short/ broken hairs on the top of my head, as well as just general frizz throughout my hair. It was not a good look. I've never coloured my hair, I don't straighten it, and 99% of the time I let it air dry, but I still got frizz and broken hairs. I never did any "extra" stuff for it however, I only shampooed and conditioned it when I washed it, but never did anything else. Anyway, I think I'd like to grow it out again, but I'm concerned that if I do I'll still get breakage and frizz (I don't know if any of my hairs are currently broken because I have a fairly short pixie cut and get it trimmed regularly). Does anyone here have any thoughts as to why I had breakage when I had my hair long? Do you think that I'll have the same problems if I grow my hair out now?

I have super think, more or less straight hair. It's also a very vibrant, natural red (I don't know if that makes a difference). I don't take any supplements/ medications. I am an equestrian, so I do wear a helmet almost everyday. However, I don't think that the helmet was causing breakage because when I was younger and rode I didn't have the frizz problems...
Any help/ insight would be greatly appreciated.:agree:

hayheadsbird
January 15th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Welcome!
If you're wearing a helmet daily I'd think the constant friction between it and the lining would cause a fair amount of damage over time.
Frizz sounds like it might have wanted more moisture.

If you grow out now, there's lots of information and ideas to try to minimise damage and grow healthy hair. Changing your wash routine slightly to be more moisturising and possibly lining the helmet with silk to reduce the friction?

spidermom
January 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Are you talking about having short hairs that stick up all over the place? Everybody has that, although it shows up in some hair types more than others. Some of them may be broken hairs, but the majority of them are most probably new hairs that haven't grown very long yet. You may have noticed that you shed out hairs every day, and they stick on your clothing and in your brushes and combs. Well, you grow in new hairs every day also.

Nique1202
January 15th, 2017, 05:13 PM
I don't think you had breakage. Hairs up on top of your head that are only a couple of inches long and stand up are just new growth. Unless you cause deep, regular damage or you're extremely unhealthy, I can almost guarantee it.

As for frizz, it sounds like either your hair is curlier than you think it is and you're disrupting the curl pattern, or it might be too dry and need more moisture. It depends on what you mean by frizz. Is it fluffy and flyaway, or does it react weird in high humidity situations?

Ophidian
January 15th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Welcome! I never had any frizz until I was in my 20s, when my hair got waiver and drier. Hair texture can definitely change. You say your hair is more or less straight, but if you have some wave hiding in there that can make it frizz a bit especially if you do things like brush it while it's wet.

It is normal to have some short hairs on the top of your head and around your temples--often that is just new growth. If you look at the ends and they are tapered, those are just "baby hairs." There are things you can do to minimize the appearance if they bother you.

I've been growing out from a pixie for a bit less than a year, and while it certainly can be a pain, it's a nice time to play around with routines and try to find out what your hair really likes. Obviously caring for shorter hair is different in some ways (ends aren't as fragile for example), but you can get some idea of a good baseline and tweak as needed. As it gets longer you could definitely look at wash routines that are good for maintaining good moisture levels. CWC (condition-wash-condition) is a good place to start, and you could also experiment with CO (conditioner only) washing. There are separate threads for each of these, as well as others on this site.

As you experiment, it's good to try one change at a time and give it a few weeks to see how it works for you. Then you can keep it or move on. But this way you know what's working and what's not. Also keep an eye on your scalp if you start experimenting with wash methods. Everything is very individual and what works for one person might not work for another no matter how much you want it to :). No magic bullets unfortunately, but lots to try if you decide to grow your hair out! There is a specific thread here for people growing out from very short (super shorties), btw. Very helpful for moral support when you are trying to figure out how to rock a mullet ;).

Oh yeah, and like hayheadsbird said, it might be a good idea to look into things you can do to protect your hair while wearing your helmet. Can't hurt, and might make a big difference. If you can't line it, maybe a silk scarf (handkerchief-sized), folded into a triangle and tied at the nape of your neck, even.

ETA: sorry, should have clarified that CWC is for longer hair so that would be a future thing. A lot of shorties don't even need conditioner until it gets a bit longer. I personally shampooed and then rubbed some coconut oil on the tips because I found they would get dry even when it was much shorter.

Obsidian
January 15th, 2017, 05:40 PM
I've been growing my hair out from a pixie for about 1.6 years now. The new hair growth is really starting to show and can look pretty dang frizzy, especially since I'm a little curly and the new hairs and curls never go the same way lol. I've found that some kind of curl cream or coney serum helps flat the new growth. I've also gotten good at ignore them.

I ride ATV's in the summer and use a buff to cover my hair before putting on a helmet. It keeps my hair contained and prevents friction.

Gymah
January 15th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Nique, my long hair was more fluffy with flyaways.

A couple of you guys have mentioned that it may have been that my hair was dry and needed more moisture, and I think that may be it. Around the time I started getting the frizz/ flyaways it was starting to look dull as well. What are good products that moisturize hair, that ideally don't have to sit/ stay in for 30mins or more? Also, what can be done to make the new hairs less noticeable/ stick up less?

emptyque
January 16th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I have a lot of flyaways too because my hair is so fine. The right conditioner definitely helps for me, and also sleeping with it up to reduce static.

I read somewhere, I think this was someone's blog, that they were sewing a satin lining in their knit cap because the wool can cause breakage. Maybe a satin cover to go between your hair and your helmet would help too.

spidermom
January 16th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Aloe vera gel or styling gel spread between wet palms, then palms run down hair over fly-aways helps.

Obsidian
January 16th, 2017, 08:48 AM
You need a good conditioner for dry hair. One I highly recommend is herbal essence hello hydration. I even use it as a deep treatment one in awhile. Use it like regular but leave it on for 15-30 minutes.

Do you know if you have hard water? Dull hair can also be a sign of build up, either from products or hard water. Clarifying shampoo will remove residue from products/oil, chelating shampoo will remove hard water build up.

Some shampoo's will do both, joico clarifying is such a shampoo. I use it once a month or so, works great.

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Take a look at the wispy club thread. There's pictures in there. Everybody has wispy hairs surrounding their head. It is new growth, hair constantly grows in and so it is all different lengths.

Anyway...
Here's the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
You need a good conditioner for dry hair. One I highly recommend is herbal essence hello hydration. I even use it as a deep treatment one in awhile. Use it like regular but leave it on for 15-30 minutes.

Do you know if you have hard water? Dull hair can also be a sign of build up, either from products or hard water. Clarifying shampoo will remove residue from products/oil, chelating shampoo will remove hard water build up.

Some shampoo's will do both, joico clarifying is such a shampoo. I use it once a month or so, works great.

Definitely second that one.

If you buy conditioners, buy conditioners for dry, damaged hair. Not that your hair is damaged, but those are the *most* moisturizing conditioners on the market. You'll even get 0 tangles if you use them (properly).

Also, look into some of the washing methods on here like CWC, or WCC, or CO-washing. There's lots to read up on!

Welcome! :D
And happy growing! You'll get there. :)