PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever mix their conditioners with oil?

Dark40
January 15th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

I was just wondering. Does anyone on here mix their conditioner with jojoba oil, and any cheap type of conditioner? Like, Herbal Essences or Pantene Pro-V?

littlestarface
January 15th, 2017, 04:15 PM
I put argan oil on after I shampoo and then put conditioner on top of the oiled hair, wait 10-15mins then rinse.

sumidha
January 15th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I mix conditioner with coconut oil and honey when I do an SMT.

Dark40
January 15th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Oh, ok cool. What I do is I mix any cheap conditioner like herbal essences and jojoba oil with water. I spray it on like a leave-in conditioner. I leave it in for about a day or so. Then, I rinse it out.

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 04:46 AM
I consider the rinse-out oil technique a bit of "mixing", since I no longer rinse my ROO out, but immediately stick my conditioner on over it. Then rinse out.

I don't add oil to my conditioner, though, in a "regular" way. I mostly think my conditioner has to be "enough", and I buy potent conditioners in that regard (those for dry, damaged hair as they are the most moisturizing).

missrandie
January 16th, 2017, 06:00 AM
I do ROO as well. That's plenty of mixing for me.

Obsidian
January 16th, 2017, 06:26 AM
I have mixed avocado oil with herbal essence in my hand before applying. I find it's easier that way and the oil is more distributed throughout my hair.

Mrstran
January 16th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I run a few light oils (almond/avocado) through my hair and then condition. Though I don't use a cheap conditioner because my hair demands a heavy conditioner full of coneys. (Very Damaged)

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I add oil to my SMT instead of aloe. Works much better for me.

adrenaline
January 16th, 2017, 01:26 PM
i did it many years ago, the result was: oily hair. So unfortunately, in my case it was too much :( I better come to terms with adding oil/butter to shampoo.

Carolyn
January 16th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I tried doing that way back in the beginning of LHC days. It seemed to be a mini fad. It was mildly successful for me as long as I didn't add too much oil. I remember trying it with a coney conditioner and that was awful. It was OK with a cone free one but I can't recall which ones I tried it with.

Annalouise
January 16th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Only if its a really crappy conditioner. :p

Shepherdess
January 16th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Occasionally I will mix a bit of olive oil in with the conditioner I use as a leave in, since it seems to smooth through my hair easier that way. :)

Dark40
January 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I tried doing that way back in the beginning of LHC days. It seemed to be a mini fad. It was mildly successful for me as long as I didn't add too much oil. I remember trying it with a coney conditioner and that was awful. It was OK with a cone free one but I can't recall which ones I tried it with.

Awww, I'm so sorry that the oil didn't work for you with the coney conditioner. I always mix my oil with a coney conditioner, and works my hair wonders! I have to use more moisture because of my chemically-treated hair.

ExpectoPatronum
January 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I kind of do this whenever I deep condition. I like deep conditioning outside of the shower so I can leave it in for a while. I'll get my hair wet with either a spray bottle or the sink, then apply the DC, then seal it with oil on top. I'll braid my hair and go about my day.

mizukitty
January 19th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Yes, I do this if I need more softening and moisture. The trick is not to add too much more oil than the emulsifiers in the conditioner can... emulsify! :lol: It's pretty much a giant guess, but adding a few drops to a big dollop of conditioner has never left me with greasy hair.

Upside Down
January 20th, 2017, 01:33 AM
I do! It doesn't work as nicely as overnight oiling, but I don't have patience for that any more. So I do a single step. Not too much oil like everyone else said... I usually use coconut.

Dark40
January 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I do! It doesn't work as nicely as overnight oiling, but I don't have patience for that any more. So I do a single step. Not too much oil like everyone else said... I usually use coconut.

Yeah, I love to do overnight oiling too. It does work better than mixing it with your conditioner but I just love to mix my jojoba oil with herbal essences, and water. Leave it in for about 24 hours. Then, the next day I rinse it all out. Shampoo and condition as usual. My always feel so amazing after I rinse out the mixture.

gracenotes
January 20th, 2017, 05:33 PM
I do when I deep condition! I modify the basic SMT recipe by adding coconut or olive oil. It makes my hair feel incredibly smooth and glossy, but YMMV.

Dark40
January 21st, 2017, 04:15 PM
Yes, I do this if I need more softening and moisture. The trick is not to add too much more oil than the emulsifiers in the conditioner can... emulsify! :lol: It's pretty much a giant guess, but adding a few drops to a big dollop of conditioner has never left me with greasy hair.

Me neither! I always end up with nice, soft, shiny, and moisturized hair. My hair type needs a lot of moisture too.

qwerty
January 23rd, 2017, 07:28 AM
yes!! I do this.
I use to work at a top salon in London and as a marketing ploy, they would charge clients an extra £15, on top of the price for a deep conditioning masque for a "Luxurious deep conditioning treatment". All they did was mix a bit of hair oil into the masque.

betterhairday
January 23rd, 2017, 07:39 AM
Hi qwerty, not in my conditioner. I mix a couple of drops of my Pro naturals Moroccan argan oil into the hair mask that I use every week. I have really short hair but it keeps it super soft and shiny.

Dark40
January 25th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I do ROO as well. That's plenty of mixing for me.

What is ROO?

Dark40
January 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM
yes!! I do this.
I use to work at a top salon in London and as a marketing ploy, they would charge clients an extra £15, on top of the price for a deep conditioning masque for a "Luxurious deep conditioning treatment". All they did was mix a bit of hair oil into the masque.

Oh, ok cool! That symbol with the number 15 in London...how much that would be in US dollars?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 26th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Yes, I usually add a teaspoonful of oil to my SMT when I make one. My hair loves it. I also use the ROO method from time to time.

wispe
January 26th, 2017, 11:13 AM
What is ROO?

Rinse-out oil method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191).

mermaid lullaby
January 26th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Once...but it worked for me

Dark40
January 26th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Rinse-out oil method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191).

Ok, thank you for your response!

Dark40
January 26th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Yes, I usually add a teaspoonful of oil to my SMT when I make one. My hair loves it. I also use the ROO method from time to time.

I've been seeing that a lot on here lately SMT. What kind of method is it?

wispe
January 26th, 2017, 05:03 PM
I've been seeing that a lot on here lately SMT. What kind of method is it?
It's a moisturizing deep treatment - here's the thread (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D128&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjw_bnwguHRAhWFQiYKHf40BJ4QFggEMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGCuuEhRFvfSQmQReMKOFqEc2yh7A)

LittleQuill
January 26th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I do the rinse-out oil as well. I shampoo, then add the oil, put conditioner over that, shower as usual, and wash out. I did used to add oil to the conditioner (in fact, I still have a bottle of it in the shower for deep conditioning), but I found that adding the oil in separately was easier. Having added oil to KY shower regime has done major good things for my hair. My ends used to always be dry and crunchy no matter what I did to it, but since doing this, I don't have that problem so much anymore. And, for me, it's a good oil treatment too, since I can't do overnight oilings.

qwerty
January 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Oh, ok cool! That symbol with the number 15 in London...how much that would be in US dollars?

It's roughly 19 US dollars

Kat-Rinnč Naido
January 29th, 2017, 10:49 AM
I did it a few times last year and I loved the effect.

lulikrueger
January 29th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I add oil to my hair masks, but to the conditioner I usually just add some ACV or vegetable glycerin.
My favorite oil for hair masks or leave-ins is raw unrefined pracaxi oil, works as sort of a natural silicone.

AutobotsAttack
January 29th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I used to a while ago. But it would always screw up how the conditioner acted on my hair so I stopped. The only other oil I know that can behave well with the certain products I buy is jojoba oil. And it's literally got to be like 4-5 drops that's it. My hair doesn't particularly care for oils. My skin on the other hand loves all thing oils.

Dark40
January 30th, 2017, 04:51 PM
It's roughly 19 US dollars

Oh, ok cool. That really doesn't sound too bad at all for US dollars!

Dark40
January 30th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I used to a while ago. But it would always screw up how the conditioner acted on my hair so I stopped. The only other oil I know that can behave well with the certain products I buy is jojoba oil. And it's literally got to be like 4-5 drops that's it. My hair doesn't particularly care for oils. My skin on the other hand loves all thing oils.

That's the kind of oil I mix with my Herbal Essence conditioner and water diluted. My hair loves oil. I'm sorry that the idea didn't work for you.