PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes=rash?

Kelikea
January 15th, 2017, 03:50 PM
For the past couple of years, I have been getting a slight rash on the back of my skull. It started with a small crusty bump, but then spread into a rash. This was winter time, and so I was stretching washed to about 2x/week. I had it looked at by a nurse. She said it was "like" ringworm, but not ringworm.

I treated it with blue(selenium sulfide) shampoo and a fungal cream. I used the shampoo once a week and the cream daily for a few weeks, and everything was fine. Until about a 6-7 weeks ago. I got the rash again. Thought it must be ringworm or fungal infection from the weight bench at the gym. Ordered new shampoo and clorox wipes for the bench. Told the nurse. She now thinks it is an allergy, since I tend to get the rash around this time of the year, but not in the summer.

The rash was fine as I used the shampoo once per week. I usually wash my hair M/W/F, once with the medicated shampoo. I didn't use the medicated shampoo the last 2 weeks. I also didn't wash my hair Friday. By Friday night, the back of my head was getting itchy. It was slightly burning when I worked out Saturday morning. HB had a look, the rash is back. He says it looks kind of like ringworm, but is not scaly. I am not losing hair, either. Scalp ringworm usually causes hairloss in patches. I would really like to not wash my hair 3-4x per week, but I workout everyday (2x Mon-Thurs), and I keep getting this rash.

Has anyone ever had anything like this?
Is it ok to use the medicated shampoo every week indefinitely?
Any other ideas?

lapushka
January 15th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I think you can't stretch. You might want to check out the SD thread too. The fact that it went away with anti-fungals speaks volumes. At least, from my perspective.

I'm no doctor, and I think you need a doctor to look at this - not a nurse.

rmani
January 15th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I agree with Lapushka - stretching may now be for you. I can't stretch either. I am a nurse and would recommend seeing a MD. They can swab it and send it off. Also they could order labs or medicated shampoo if needed.

I recently had a red, warm to touch scalp with bumps along my hair line despite washing with sulphates and washing every other day. I switched to a hypoallergenic fragrance-free sulphate/silicone/free shampoo/conditioner which is working well for the moment.

turtlelover
January 15th, 2017, 05:13 PM
My scalp is a disaster unless I wash every day and a half. Even with that, around every 2 or 3 weeks I have to give it a wash w/ some Head & Shoulders. I despise that this is the way it is for me, but ANY stretching is bad news for my head. I envy people that can CO wash or use sulfate free stuff because it IS more gentle, but for me it is a no go. You are definitely NOT alone!

Obsidian
January 15th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I'm another one who can't stretch washes due to seborrheic dermatitis. Get a DR to check it so you know for sure, that will also help you know how to treat it when it does act up.
When I was first diagnosed, I had to use medicated shampoo all the time. Now I know what kind of things make it flair up and avoid them, for the most part I don't have flairs anymore. If it is SD, keeping your scalp clean is very important, so if keeping conditioner and oils off your scalp.

Kelikea
January 16th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm glad(kind of) to know I'm not the only one, but wish none of us had to go through it. I guess I'll just keep up with the medicated shampoo once/week and wash every other day for now.

Anyone think it could be a fungus I picked up from the gym?

Obsidian
January 16th, 2017, 08:41 AM
If it's SD, then no, it didn't come from the gym. It's caused by a fungus that's always been on your skin, something triggered it to grow out of control.

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm glad(kind of) to know I'm not the only one, but wish none of us had to go through it. I guess I'll just keep up with the medicated shampoo once/week and wash every other day for now.

Anyone think it could be a fungus I picked up from the gym?

I don't know about once a week, though. I'm not sure what you're using.

Nizoral 2% needs to be used 2x a week. You suds it up some, and leave it on for 5 min., then suds some more (wash thoroughly), and rinse.

dvep
January 16th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I have SD (what you have sounds like my story a bit) and I can stretch to 2 washes a week MAXIMUM without unbearable discomfort (but still some discomfort no matter what since that's the nature if my SD). Have it checked out by a doctor or even a dermatologist. Don't worry if I you have add an extra wash or two in, you hair may not suffer. One thing I've learned on here is that our conditions behave and react differently to different things.

Anje
January 16th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Honestly, I don't see much reason to stretch washes beyond a week anyway for most people. You have to get all the way to 2 weeks to halve the number of washes you do, and that's a long time for all but extra-dry scalps. If you can't stretch beyond a week, you've already stretched washes further than many can ever achieve, and it's certainly not worth putting up with irritation or rashes over.

Remember that most of the reason for stretching washes (other than simply not having to wait around for hair to dry as often) is to reduce the total amount of handling that your hair is subjected to over the years, so it doesn't wear out as fast. This usually isn't a big deal with shorter hair, but if you're going for maximum lengths, it adds up. Here's a table I whipped up. Terminal length varies, but I think for a lot of people it's in the 7 to 10 year range. As you can see, it becomes diminishing returns at some point, but you can dramatically decrease the total number of washes your hair goes through by going from daily washing to every second or third day.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25915&d=1484584569

Edit: I'd guesstimate that with average growth, 12 months is maybe jaw length, 18 months is shoulder to APL, 3 years is roughly waist, 5 years is tailbone-ish, 7 years is somewhere on the thighs, and 10 years is at least calf or ankle length. That's approximate age of the ends, not how long it took to get there. :)

patienceneeded
January 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I have to wash every other day, every 2nd day max for stretching washes. If I wash less often, I get really itchy and start to develop red bumps/sores. Some people just need to wash more often. Not a big deal. Don't fret about stretching washes, for you it would be better for your hair and scalp if you just washed 2-3 times a week (maybe 4?) and stopped worrying about stretching washes too much.

Annalouise
January 16th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Honestly, I don't see much reason to stretch washes beyond a week anyway for most people. You have to get all the way to 2 weeks to halve the number of washes you do, and that's a long time for all but extra-dry scalps. If you can't stretch beyond a week, you've already stretched washes further than many can ever achieve, and it's certainly not worth putting up with irritation or rashes over.

Remember that most of the reason for stretching washes (other than simply not having to wait around for hair to dry as often) is to reduce the total amount of handling that your hair is subjected to over the years, so it doesn't wear out as fast. This usually isn't a big deal with shorter hair, but if you're going for maximum lengths, it adds up. Here's a table I whipped up. Terminal length varies, but I think for a lot of people it's in the 7 to 10 year range. As you can see, it becomes diminishing returns at some point, but you can dramatically decrease the total number of washes your hair goes through by going from daily washing to every second or third day.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25915&d=1484584569

Cool chart :thumbsup:

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 16th, 2017, 04:08 PM
I really recommend seeing a dermatologist. Not a nurse. Please!

I have SD as well and it sounds a lot like what I was suffering with. It was terrible and I wish I had seen a dermatologist sooner.

Cass
January 16th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I had/have (does it ever go away fully? ) SD and now I have to be careful my hair doesn't get too greasy or it flares up. For me this means washing every other day and using sulphates. This wasn't what I wanted for my hair but fortunately my hair lives it and is coming back from the possible stall I had from not using sulphates :)

dvep
January 16th, 2017, 04:58 PM
I had/have (does it ever go away fully? ) SD and now I have to be careful my hair doesn't get too greasy or it flares up. For me this means washing every other day and using sulphates. This wasn't what I wanted for my hair but fortunately my hair lives it and is coming back from the possible stall I had from not using sulphates :)

In my experience it can be managed but not cured completely. The closest I ever got to it being totally gone was when I was on a steroid foam prescribed by my dermatologist that worked amazingly, but I would have had to keep using it and the possibly side effects were too freaky for me to keep signing up for (Cushing's syndrome, anyone?), not to mention the cost. However, I've been able to drastically reduce the discomfort by learning what my scalp likes...one of those things being washes twice a week.

turtlelover
January 17th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Mine will stay gone with frequent sulfate washes and not going to bed with wet hair. Damp scalp will flare it up in a hurry, personally, which stinks, but that is life.