PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting bangs

DreamSheep
January 15th, 2017, 03:07 PM
-- EDIT to add:
I got the bangs/fringe and I'm super happy with them! :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25961&d=1484695773
--
After 2-3 years without seeing a hairdresser and S&Ding, I'm actually seeing one tomorrow - on the one hand to tidy up my ends as they are getting a liiiittle bit raggedy, and secondly because I've been giving thought to some face framing layers/ a fringe/ bangs.

I've always liked having a fringe, and I've put off this decision for well over a year - so I'm used to the comfort of not having to deal with them but don't like how I look when all my hair is pulled back.

I've read all of these articles on "bangs for your face shape", but admittedly, I have no idea what shape my face is. Is it oval? Round? Square? Heart? Long? What fringe do you think would look good on me?

Apologies for humongous pics, they are the LHC embed and I'm not sure how to shrink them... (if you can't see pictures it is because I'm using the LHC albums which are only viewable to established members with 25 posts and more)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25909&d=1484517663
This is kind of what I look like currently with hair swept back

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25907&d=1484515308
This is what I look like with my hair down.

I was thinking of going for something like this:
Click to see picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/49/d2/cd49d2249706a29682f1ce132ed1da5a.jpg)

What do you think? Do you think it would suit me / would you recommend something different / should I not bother with the fuss of getting bangs at all

EDIT: forgot to add -
part of the reason for thinking of a fringe is also because some of the hair tendrils that would form part of it tend to tangle and get caught in things, so that hair is already considerably shorter than other layers, so thinking it might just make sense to convert them into face framing layers :)

lapushka
January 15th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Amazing hair. And you know me... and what I'm gonna say. I wouldn't change a *thing*!

No seriously. It is *perfect*!

I'd cancel that appointment. I fear some hairdresser is going to go ham on that hair. shudder:

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 15th, 2017, 03:16 PM
As a bang wearer I will say: THINK LONG AND HAIR. I mean hard. My phone auto corrected to hair.

Does you hair get oily? Do you stretch washes? (Because you won't really be able to easily with bangs.)
Can you handle the idea that if you end up not liking them.. growing out of them.. getting bored of them... you'll have to regrow them back out? Lol which would take a long time at your length!
I'm growing my bangs out but I'm at BSL right now so it won't be too hard, I've had straight across bangs for about 4 years now and I'm finally bored enough of dealing with the constant styling, the constant need to brush and manipulate them to look good and clean 24/7. It's a lot of work that you might very quickly get bored with.

ipickee
January 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Ahhh bangs. I'm sure you'd look just lovely with sideswept bangs. I love how my face looks with bangs too. But between the maintenance of having to keep them trimmed along with the propensity for more frequent bad hair days, and just the sheer time it takes to grow them out if (when!) one decides they no longer want them...well, I'd vote no. :)
However, if you chose yes, we'd love to see pics!
With your face shape, the pic you posted for the suggested style would look lovely, I think!

DreamSheep
January 15th, 2017, 03:21 PM
As a bang wearer I will say: THINK LONG AND HAIR. I mean hard. My phone auto corrected to hair.

Does you hair get oily? Do you stretch washes? (Because you won't really be able to easily with bangs.)
Can you handle the idea that if you end up not liking them.. growing out of them.. getting bored of them... you'll have to regrow them back out? Lol which would take a long time at your length!
I'm growing my bangs out but I'm at BSL right now so it won't be too hard, I've had straight across bangs for about 4 years now and I'm finally bored enough of dealing with the constant styling, the constant need to brush and manipulate them to look good and clean 24/7. It's a lot of work that you might very quickly get bored with.

I used to always have a fringe because I was shy about my forehead (I've always thought I had weird eyebrow muscles though I don't care so much now, but I always feel weirdly 'naked' when my hair is tied back and some hair there might just soften that look). Some of my ex-bangs always get caught in everything and knot, to the point that some of those hairs are about chin length which is why I thought rather than growing them out and having them look untidy and knotty, I could commit a little bit more hair into a wispier fringe.

My hair tends not to be oily, and I wash about every 6 days currently, but I think I'd be happy to wash my fringe a bit more often to style it and make it look presentable. I'm hoping that by committing very little hair to the fringe, in the event that I don't like it, they will be easier to blend in or tie back without it being too obvious, and if I love it I could always go for a heavier fringe in the future

diddiedaisy
January 15th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I have the same bangs as the picture. I think you'd look great with them. I personally don't find them high maintenance but I'm a daily washer so they don't get chance to get greasy. I also trim them myself when they get a bit too long.

However, although I like bangs I have them because I don't think I look nice without them and would gladly live without them if my face was more forgiving haha

Ophidian
January 15th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I will add that I think I have a similar hair texture as you, and anything shorter than mid-cheek length on me flips either out on both sides away from my head so they look like horns, or both to one side which is just a little more comic effect than I wanted :). I found that to keep them looking decent I had to wash them more frequently than the rest of my hair (I'd just do it over the sink), and use a flat iron pretty much every day to straighten them out.

georgia_peach
January 15th, 2017, 03:43 PM
DreamSheep, your hair is absolutely gorgeous down and up and without the bangs. Your natural tendrils frame your face a' plenty. I'm sure you'd look great with the bangs, but I vote *no* bangs or face framing layers. Have you considered doing a self-trim for your ends? Just thinking of ways to save your locks from a potentially scissors-happy stylist!

sumidha
January 15th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I think that style of bangs would look good on you, which is not to say that you need them to cover up or hide your face, it's a very nice face as is, but if you want them, by all means go for them.

Things to consider, which you've probably already thought about if you've had bangs in the past... They might get oily quicker than the rest of your hair and need to be washed more often. That might cause the color on them to fade more quickly, would that bother you? Depending on how wavy your hair is, there might be days when they do weird flippy poofy things you don't like, are you a perfectionist about that kind of thing? Will it bother you to have to style them, or just let them do their flippy thing and go with it? Are you confident in your ability to maintain them as they grow, or are you going to be at the hair dressers every two months to get them trimmed and shaped, and are you ok with that kind of maintenance?

Lastly, you can always cut more hair to make them thicker, but can't go back, so make sure your hair dresser is on the same page as you with how thick you want them (bring the picture). I'll admit, I'm a little nervous your stylist will see all your thick, long hair and go temporarily insane with hair cutting lust and you'll end up losing way more hair than you wanted to, but hopefully you're going to someone you trust and have seen before. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :)

Llama
January 15th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Ok WOW you have amazing hair first of all. That bun!

Secondly, I will give my honest opinion on the bangs. The bangs you picked out look like the thin/wispy type. You have super thick hair. I think that thin bangs with thick hair can look a little weird. Wispy bangs like that look beautiful with hair that is thinner.

I would go for thicker side bangs if I were you. Just my opinion though!

ETA: Also want to add that I don't think you need bangs- your hair and face are pretty as is :)

spidermom
January 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I think the style you posted will look great on you. I had bangs and face-framing layers for at least 3 years, and I loved them. When I was over it and wanted a different look, I grew them out. As they grew, I would either pin them back to keep them out of my eyes or lace-braid above my forehead - the style I'm wearing today. I didn't think bangs were time consuming, and growing them out wasn't a hassle.

And hey - really fab-looking hair; love the color. I think your face is pretty close to oval, so you can have any type of bangs that you like.

nekosan
January 15th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Oh my goodness, your hair is GORGEOUS!

I think bangs like that would look nice, and be easy to grow out if you got sick of them.

mayfaring
January 15th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I love the look of those bangs you're considering. They're really cute. If you don't like them, you can just pin them aside when you grow them out.

I just wash my bangs by themselves if they are getting a bit greasy before a wash.

Robot Ninja
January 15th, 2017, 07:44 PM
HOLY CRAP YOUR HAIR!!! The pink looks amazing!

I think those bangs would look good on you. You seem to have a fairly delicate-looking face so thick bangs would be overpowering, I think. Plus, wispy bangs will be easier to blend into the rest of your hair if you decide to grow them out.

wispe
January 15th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I said it elsewhere, but your hair is stunning! Your face looks oval, so you can go with whatever bangs you want or no bangs at all. The wispy bangs you posted would be good. I see a pretty decent swoop in your bang section that makes me think longer side-swept bangs and/or face-framing longer layers would be gorgeous. Just be aware that without the length to tame them/weigh them down, they might decide to flip in/out awkwardly, especially if they're at a length where they sit on/touch your glasses. When my bangs are shorter they like to swoop out until they hit the glasses, then sharply curve inwards - at certain lengths my ends were constantly poking me in the eye or cheek and I constantly looked like I had a bend in the hair from tucking behind the ears. (also I found that shorter layers like to catch in hinges more.)

If you get face-framing layers you can probably trim them yourself if you'd like after the initial cut, I did that for years between seeing hairdressers until I got lazy and let them grow out.

missrandie
January 15th, 2017, 10:34 PM
I used to have bangs like that, and I loved them. Bangs were kind of my jam. Like, the only girl in my class with them.

I say, go for it!

Rockin' pink, by the way!

LadyCelestina
January 16th, 2017, 12:47 AM
I love your hair and your haircolour ! :o And you have a very cute face, but in my opinion, I would rather go for sideswept bangs. Just from personal experience - like mine, your forehead is a bit smaller in proportion compared to the rest of the face.

To illustrate:
I only remember one 'celebrity' with blunt bangs, but here goes - http://www.prettydesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Zooey-Deschanel-Long-Hairstyle-Curls-with-Wispy-Bangs.jpg // Her forehead is quite large compared to her tiny chin, that's why it looks balanced. also rock lee :D

the effect I got was ...umm... something a lot like Neville Longbottom http://www.elintransigente.com/u/fotografias/m/2014/5/24/f300x0-196095_196113_0.jpg /// the bottom of my face ended up looking too big compared to my forehead, and for some reason I looked like I had a huge nose! no idea why my nose is tiny! :D

But of course maybe they'll look great on you, this is just my experience. Maybe try them out first using some of the faux bangs tutorial on youtube?

Deborah
January 16th, 2017, 12:51 AM
I vote NO on bangs for you. Your face looks great as it is, and with so much hair, I thinks bangs would overwhelm and hide your face.

butterflybutton
January 16th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I think the style of fringe you picked is perfect for your face shape and hair type! I had that fringe type in my mind before even looking, hehe.

LongCurlyTress
January 16th, 2017, 09:07 AM
I think the bang pic you posted would look really pretty on you but... just be careful to not cut too far back into your scalp hairs so you can grow them out easily. The change/new look might even be alot of fun for you!! But, they will require more work then just throwing all your hair back into a bun... :) I say go for it!! But keep them whispy...like in the photo :)

Hay_jules
January 16th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I'm another vote for the side swept bang. That's what I pictured for you as soon as I saw the title and your pic. I agree your face shape is oval and I think you can pull off any style of bang. But it looks like side swept will work with your hair a little more, the way it falls. Also I like the side bang because it requires less frequent trimming and is a little more error proof when trimming yourself.

DreamSheep
January 16th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your advice :)
I've done the deed and I'm extremely happy. The hairdresser was lovely and very appreciative of my hair, she did trim a bit off but I'm still about classic length and I now know what people mean by wonderful fresh ends (my last proper selftrim would've been end of 2014...), and I got the wispy bangs.
At first I wasn't supersure, but I love them now, I can mask them if I need to but they also soften my face and feel very versatile. I will post pictures, but probably tomorrow with better light ^^ anyway, I don't regret the decision!

wispe
January 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I've done the deed and I'm extremely happy. The hairdresser was lovely and very appreciative of my hair, she did trim a bit off but I'm still about classic length and I now know what people mean by wonderful fresh ends (my last proper selftrim would've been end of 2014...), and I got the wispy bangs.
At first I wasn't supersure, but I love them now, I can mask them if I need to but they also soften my face and feel very versatile. I will post pictures, but probably tomorrow with better light ^^ anyway, I don't regret the decision!

Oh, that's wonderful! I'm glad you're happy with the results!

waiting for pictures like :popcorn:

georgia_peach
January 16th, 2017, 01:26 PM
So glad you are happy with the stylist and your results. Can't wait to see a photo! :)

ipickee
January 16th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen!! ;)

lapushka
January 16th, 2017, 01:36 PM
As long as you're happy with it, DS, that's *all* that counts!

cgirl
January 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM
There are a lot of hairdressers who want nothing more than to destroy beautiful long hair. I would cancel the appointment.

cgirl
January 16th, 2017, 02:24 PM

oops nevermind my last reply. Glad you are happy!

spidermom
January 16th, 2017, 03:05 PM
WooHoo; good for you!

butterflybutton
January 16th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Yay! That's fantastic that you are happy with your new look!

LongCurlyTress
January 16th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I can't wait to see your pictures!! :)

Rhoward
January 16th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I can't wait to see how it turned out, your hair is stunning, you inspired me, I went and got bangs this morning!

summergame
January 17th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I am curious too and I must say that your hair is wonderful!!

DreamSheep
January 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Not the best set of photos, but I've been failing at getting a bunch of original photos (where I had the fringe in about 5 different ways :p), so instead here is a collage I posted to instagram..

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25961&d=1484695773

I love the fringe so much! :D

diddiedaisy
January 17th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Looks great :)

georgia_peach
January 17th, 2017, 04:49 PM
You look adorable! And your hair is so amazingly healthy. Enjoy your fresh ends and new bangs. :)

Rhoward
January 17th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Super cute, looks great on you :)

DreamSheep
January 18th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Thanks!! :) I'm already noticing that I need to wash them ( lady put in some leave in ) - but I don't love them any less. ^^

summergame
January 18th, 2017, 01:45 AM
You are looking so cute with them. They suit you very well!

Upside Down
January 18th, 2017, 03:10 AM
DreamSheep, you have surreal hair. I think bangs look great on you. If you wear hair up, I think you will like wearing them, at least I did. :) enjoy!
Oh and I love the rose red color too!!!

LaísB
January 18th, 2017, 04:21 AM
-- EDIT to add:
I got the bangs/fringe and I'm super happy with them! :)
--

It looks lovely!

Arctic
January 18th, 2017, 05:10 AM
The bangs look super flattering on you!

How did the rest of the trim go? Did they refresh your layers?

ipickee
January 18th, 2017, 06:26 AM
They turned out adorable! I love that she really did cut fringe and seemed to have really followed your instructions. Very cute!

spidermom
January 18th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Lovely;nice change.

Entangled
January 18th, 2017, 10:21 AM
So cute! Love the cut and color.

MidnightMoon
January 18th, 2017, 10:26 AM
looks good!, and you definitely have enough hair to spare some for bangs :p

DreamSheep
January 18th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Thank you everyone! :)

EdG
January 18th, 2017, 07:48 PM
All I can say is :thud:

Very nice, DreamSheep.
Ed

stachelbeere
January 19th, 2017, 09:16 AM
super super pretty!!!!

Hailwidis
January 19th, 2017, 10:42 AM
They suit you SO well! :)

Platzhalter
January 23rd, 2017, 04:35 PM
Nice :)
You're definitely one of those who rock both bangs and no-bangs equally.

LongCurlyTress
January 25th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I love your bangs!! Great decision!! And your hair thickness and length are incredibly beautiful!! :happydance: