PDA

View Full Version : Favorite way to apply coconut oil to your hair?

maxa
January 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure which one to stick too.

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Oh gosh. Lots of options! I personally use it mostly on my ends while they're damp after a wash, and as needed in between. If my ends feel dry I spritz them with water and work it a few drop of coconut oil. I've also mixed it with shampoo, and used it on my scalp.

ETA: no need to pick just one if your hair likes it

Alissalocks
January 13th, 2017, 05:41 PM
I scoop a little out of the jar, emulsify it between my palms and then apply it dry hair, usually medium to heavy, and leave in for hours or overnight, pre CWC.

Every now and then I'll apply a little to my ends, but usually my almond oil blends are more convenient, so I reach for them first.

dvep
January 13th, 2017, 06:49 PM
I apply it differently to between hair and scalp. For my scalp I put the coconut oil in a squeeze bottle (the kind for condiments that has a conical nozzle), sit it in a warm water bath until liquid, and squirt it on my scalp in sections, rubbing it throughout with my fingers. For my length, I scoop out coconut oil with my hands and first apply it from the top of my length downward, then I apply it liberally to my ends. This way is easier I find, it's more effective in distributing it throughout the hair. I'm not a heavy oiler so I'm looking for my hair to look very damp, not sopping wet.

lapushka
January 14th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I don't use coconut oil. I use baby oil. Just a few drops (about 10) in the rinse-out oil method (link in signature). That's how oil works best for me.

sumidha
January 14th, 2017, 05:16 PM
With my hands. :P

But to actually answer the question, I usually apply it focusing on the ends, before I detangle to smooth and soften my hair, and more liberally throughout the length and ends when I detangle before washing. I don't use it on my scalp.

diddiedaisy
January 14th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I usually apply it on dry hair from ears down and leave it overnight. Occasionally I'll dampen my hair first if I want to use it for moisture retention.

littlestarface
January 14th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Drowning my hair in it before a wash.

lithostoic
January 14th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Braid my hair, with a longer tassle. Like 2-3 inches long. Scoop some out of the jar with my fingernail, rub it between my fingers and preen my tassle with it.

ExpectoPatronum
January 14th, 2017, 07:05 PM
I prefer overnight oiling before a shower. I don't really oil often...maybe that's why my hair has been so dry lately too.

I actually prefer olive oil to coconut oil, but I use the same steps for both. Usually, detangle, apply the oil with my hands focusing on the ends, then braiding it for overnight.

Dark40
January 14th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I part my hair down the middle, and it smaller sections. Then, I apply to the whole length from scalp to ends. Leave in overnight. Then, I wash out the next day.

Hairkay
January 15th, 2017, 05:43 AM
rub a tiny bit between my hands and apply it to the ends of damp hair.

MidnightMoon
January 15th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I used to put a few drops (or break a small portion off from the container when it's cold and it becomes solid lol) in my palms and run my fingers through my hair, focusing from the ears down. I read somewhere here that it should be applied to damp hair to help it preserve moisture, and i don't really know if this is true or not, but now I apply it to hair after a wash. Sometimes between washes, if my ends feel dry, but it's mostly when it's wet now. The only problem of this is that it is harder to know when you've applied too much to a certain area, and my hair is quite sticky and unmanageable while wet, so I just do my best hehe

ephemeri
January 16th, 2017, 03:15 PM
I use it for pre-poo oiling occasionally. The rest of the time I smooth it in dry (after warming it up in my hands first). It helps tame the frizz and keep my hair from getting too dry. I've tried oiling wet hair and it doesn't seem to work very well for me (with the exception of the ROO method, but I don't use coconut oil for that).

Adavidal
January 16th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I usually do a mask with coconut oil. I put fresh aloe on my scalp and massage it in with lavender or peppermint essential oil. Then I take warmed coconut oil (just place jar in cup with warm water to heat oil) and I sometimes throw in argan oils, macadamia oil, and sweet almond oil. Then I sleep with it wearing a shower cap and a towel turban and wash it out in the morning. It's really helped my hair a ton.

Seija
January 17th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I usually just massage some into my ends after a wash - or even on a no wash day if my ends are looking a little crunchy. If I have the time I'll leave it sit in my hair for a few hours before shampooing.

Reyn127
January 17th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I use it on my ends right before I wash my hair. I just dig my knuckle into it and get a little glob out. I'll usually do two of those, one for each half of my hair (right and left)

Platzhalter
January 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM
During the warmer season(s), coconut oil practically is my standard "just put it on dry hair"-oil. Just put a few drops in your hands and run them through your hair or scrunch it in, depending on your structure ;)

Zesty
January 23rd, 2017, 06:22 PM
I use my Vatika coconut oil (which for some reason works much better than straight coconut oil) for the day and overnight before a wash. I put the bottle in a bowl of hot water to melt it, then spread it in my palms and apply liberally from the ears down and especially on my ends, until my hair looks damp. Then I usually put it in a braided bun for the day and either wash in the evening or sleep in the braid overnight and wash the next morning.

turtlelover
January 23rd, 2017, 09:29 PM
I usually mist my hair with water, and then apply it to my hands first to melt it and spread it out. I don't put it on my scalp.....just my hair from chin down...... and I leave it on overnight before I wash my full length. (The rest of the time, I wash scalp only.)

LittleQuill
January 24th, 2017, 09:25 PM
With my hands. :P

Hah. I was waiting for someone to say that. :P Made me giggle!

*ahem* I use it as a leave-in on wet hair after a wash. My hair doesn't like coconut oil used on it dry. Makes it all crunchy and sounding like sandpaper. It took me a while to figure that out, too...

mayfaring
January 25th, 2017, 12:10 AM
I mixed coconut oil in with an SMT and had great results. This thread has given me some great ideas for other ways to use it.

Firsttimelength
January 25th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I rub a generous amount on my hands to melt it start at scalp doing a leisurely scalp massage then I start slathering it again melted onto all of hair leaving overnight. Sometimes I mix with a little olive and grape seed oil and a few drops lavender heat and mix then do all the above from a warm bowl dipping my ends into the remaining oil in the bowl. I also use it on my face. To heal old acne discoloration it's working for both! Have 5/6" new growth throughout my whole head and my skin got complimented by 3 people separately at work after just 2 days of using this. No joke! My complexion was glowing. Love it!!

Anje
January 25th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Fingernail-full, melted on my palms and fingers, run through hair while it's still damp after showering.

Or else applied to my cat Linus, who comes to pester me for some whenever I open the container. I keep a couple tablespoons in a small tupperware in the bathroom, so I don't have to worry about the whole lot getting contaminated or rancid in the humidity. Not that I've had an issue with that.

maxa
February 6th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I like to use 6 tea spoons worth and let it melt in my hands and apply it to both scalp and hair, then I let it sit for 6 hours, for 1 of those hours I put on a hat, this way the oil melts into the scalp. Then I wash it all out with a ketazole shampoo my doctor gave me. Have been doing this for 2 weeks now, haven't had a SD itch. The trick I find is not let the coconut oil sit on the scalp for too long, because after a while the anti-fungal benefits seem to take a U-turn. This is of course anecdotal.

I have SD btw.

LadyCelestina
February 6th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Fingernail-full, melted on my palms and fingers, run through hair while it's still damp after showering.

Or else applied to my cat Linus, who comes to pester me for some whenever I open the container. I keep a couple tablespoons in a small tupperware in the bathroom, so I don't have to worry about the whole lot getting contaminated or rancid in the humidity. Not that I've had an issue with that.

I use coconut oil on my dog. Just LHC things really. But after brushing he's very fluffy but shiny, so I put the tiniest bit of oil on my hands and pet him until he's less fluffy but super shiny :D He's a schnauzer mix and has lovely black wavy fur :D