PDA

View Full Version : Should I bleach my hair before or after I reach my hair hair length goal?

grecianmermaid
January 13th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone!
So basically, I have been growing my hair out for one and a half years from a lob to currebtly one inch from waist length.

My goal originally was hip length - although now its classic.
The only problem that i'm having is that I wanted to bleach my hair to a light blonde (which i have had before) but i dont know whether this will effect my growing goal.

Would it be better to wait until i've reached my goal length to bleach it again, or should i just bleach it now? Which is less damaging in your opinion?

Thank you!

LadyCelestina
January 13th, 2017, 09:05 AM
After, you will maintain your hair at goal length presumably, so any extra damage to the ends will get trimmed off. But if you have resilient hair you can do it now.
Have you looked into Olaplex?

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2017, 09:12 AM
You are the one to decide, but I wonder:

How much do you want it?

What color do you have now and is it natural or dyed?

How have your hair reacted to bleach earlier?

If you bleach it, you will only have to bleach the roots after you have achieved the right color to maintain it. There's no need to do the whole hair if it's already the right color :) If you have to bleach it more than once to get the color you want, wait at least a month in between:)

grecianmermaid
January 13th, 2017, 09:15 AM
After, you will maintain your hair at goal length presumably, so any extra damage to the ends will get trimmed off. But if you have resilient hair you can do it now.
Have you looked into Olaplex?

My hair a few years ago was bleached, and grew still, however my hairdresser overprocessed it and i also used to use a lot of heat on it, so i had to cut it from waist length to a lob. So thats why im anxious now :p

I have heard of olaplex but never used it myself.

grecianmermaid
January 13th, 2017, 09:19 AM
You are the one to decide, but I wonder:

How much do you want it?

What color do you have now and is it natural or dyed?

How have your hair reacted to bleach earlier?

If you bleach it, you will only have to bleach the roots after you have achieved the right color to maintain it. There's no need to do the whole hair if it's already the right color :) If you have to bleach it more than once to get the color you want, wait at least a month in between:)

Thank you for your advice! :)

I've always felt more confident and pretty when my hair is a light blonde colour and also i'm starting at a new job in a month, so thats my main motivation.

The colour i have now is a darker blonde with medium brown roots. Its dyed/bleached already

My hair was healthy before when i bleached it and grew longer, however it became overprocessed as my knowledge for bleached hair was minimal and i ended up having to chop it all off :/

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your advice! :)

I've always felt more confident and pretty when my hair is a light blonde colour and also i'm starting at a new job in a month, so thats my main motivation.

The colour i have now is a darker blonde with medium brown roots. Its dyed/bleached already

My hair was healthy before when i bleached it and grew longer, however it became overprocessed as my knowledge for bleached hair was minimal and i ended up having to chop it all off :/

If you find a skille hairdresser that uses olaplex, you might be able to get your dream color without too much damage. Many people are talking good about olaplex. If your hair is already fairly blond, you shouldn't have to bleach it too much. Do you have any darker dye in it since before? Old dye is a bit harder to bleach out than lightening ones natural color.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 13th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I would wait til you hit goal so you could slowly cut the worst damage out, at goal length, while maintaining roots if you ended up wanting to keep it. But I wouldn't bleach at all unless you have a professional who REALLY knows what they're doing and specializes in color and uses olaplex.

MidnightMoon
January 13th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I'm unsure on whether you should dye now or wait but if I were you I wouldn't bleach at all. For regular untouched hair ends are already fragile enough at classic. Think that hair that has been dyed on the roots will be less resilient than virgin hair, so by the time it gets to your ends it will be in poorer condition than your current ends.

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm with MidnightMoon. Why bleach at all, if you had to cut to a lob previously from overprocessing? Mind you, I didn't learn my lesson on the first go around either! :o It can happen *again* for all you know. Is it really worth it to have short hair again?

What's your starting color? Dark brown? Black? Then that's a lot of harsh bleach that has to come in contact with your hair. If it's lighter, it's less of a risk, but it still *is* a risk.

MidnightMoon
January 13th, 2017, 02:17 PM
She said it's from dark blonde to brown, so while it isn't an excessive work like going from black to blonde... I'm still worried. Like, the reasoning always is that each part of virgin hair would only have to be bleached once, but still, you can't totally avoid overlapping when bleaching. On top of that, hair that's bleached becomes more porous, prone to tangles, dry... I understand not everybody's hair is the same, but it definitely doesn't remain 100% healthy, and it shows sooner or later.
Bleached hair hanging for 5+ years which is what it will take on average to grow from your roots to classic will have plenty of time to be dryer, tangle more, break off, and just react to regular wear and tear while being more delicate than your current hair. Unless you have very resilient hair, just maintaining at classic while bleaching might not give you the results you're hoping.
Also, consider that if you ever get tired of the colour, it will take you a very long time to grow the bleach out :(