View Full Version : fiğrildi's update (from BSL-ish permed hair, to TBL virgin)

fiğrildi
January 12th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Dear fellows!, it's been around 7 months since my LHC hiatus, hopefully some of you still remember me :eyebrows:
I hope you've all been well, I will be catching on your progress very soon ;-)

Following some very intense months (living in the Swedish wilderness, camping and climbing in the Scottish highlands, Irish adventures, a bit of Denmark, attending music festivals in Spain, living in a tent for one month and general Icelandic lifestyle among other things), my hair has been pretty much forgotten and very, veeery neglected. But it has kept growing like weed, in spite of a big amount of microtrims that I didn't care to document. :-P

I have self-claimed TBL a couple months ago, currently measuring at almost 39 inches in its dry and wavy state. Since I have skipped the last 2 hairyversaries or so, I am taking the liberty of celebrating my unhairyversary with this post ;-)

The story goes as follows!

September 2013, I have been guilty of curly perming my hair several times for the last 3 years (among other horrific things that you should never try) and it has reached the point of no return. Hair is fried and seems like the only solution is chopping. Despite everyone around me saying that I should cut a pixie, fiğrildi stays cool and decides to keep the wild mess. It all starts with a very terrible picture:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/23d5fecb-0e22-4346-9f6b-8b12adc19018_zpskjp5tge6.jpg

I discover the LHC and start the co-washing only method (as suggested by lapushka), ACV rinses, gentle detangling, S&D'ing, cassia and aloe evera masks, using only paraben and silicon free products, coconut and olive oil drops. I stop using any kind of heat, and let the hair air dry. I stretch washes to once a week. I go to the hairdresser for the very last time (because I will be selftrimming from then on), and cut down some inches.

By November 2013 (a month after), I can already see a dramatic difference in the quality of my hair. The first time I measured I was at 26 inches:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/pelo20originalSAM_010120copia_zps7nku62n0.jpg

Hair keeps improving, and I keep self-trimming every 3 months or so.

December 2014, I haven't gained much length but hair is shiny and looking good. I can start to see my natural wavy texture, though it's still a lot of work to do:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/dectrim75202014_zpsvq1lv321.jpg

February 2015 (yeh out of focus!), hair seems happier and happier, as I keep trimming the bad ends:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/DSC_0417_zpsa7fdyl3f.jpg

September 2015, I have stopped doing the ACV rinses, after noticing my hair is getting redder and darker. The permed part seems to fuse with my natural texture already (some people don't believe me when I say it's still a good inches left of damage). But my natural colour comes back:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/IMG_2370_zpsfmtgcxps.jpg

And these were the last pictures I took, right before the LHC hiatus, measuring at around 34 inches (from left ro right: March, April and May 2016 > for some months I had no growth at all...)

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/march%20april%20may%202016_zpspjh2ue01.jpg

And here we are, January 2017! Ready??

Ta-daaaa! >>>

>>>

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/jan201739inches_zpsbh9vdjri.jpg

(observe that funny curl in the bottom right, hehe)

Comparison between November 2013 and January 2017:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag376/fithrildi/fc805fb4-9538-4c06-8529-af5fd275e232_zpsg6jqls8n.jpg

I can now say that I have gotten rid of all the permed part... FINALLY!, and I have virgin hair for the first time in around 7 years. The fabulous cape of awesomeness is back!
The goal is classic, but I am happy at my current length and will be maintaining and enjoying TBL for some months.

I can't tell you how happy I am of being part of this community, thank you for your help, inspiration and friendship!! :-))
I hope I can also inspire others to grow healthy and to ridiculous lengths... here's to all of you my friends :toast:

littlestarface
January 12th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Amazing:thud:

Of the Fae
January 12th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Oh my God you have dream hair! Amazing progress and growth! And I love how you have Brian Froud in your signature, he has inspired me for years!

Kiiruna
January 12th, 2017, 05:00 PM
You definitely have one of my favourite heads of hair so it's so nice to see you again! Your hair looks so happy and healthy :)

-Fern
January 12th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Amazing! :thudpile: And so good to see you back! I am sure you have had some incredible adventures. Keep being awesome. :D

ephemeri
January 12th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Your hair is absolutely stunning. Congrats! Has your routine changed at all?

HeartofHaleth
January 12th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Yay!! So happy to see you around here again! It sounds like you've had some fabulous adventures! I still (and always will) absolutely adore your hair!

Ellethwyn
January 12th, 2017, 05:12 PM
OMG! : ) Gorgeous! It's so nice to get an update from you! Your hair looks so happy!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 12th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Welcome back! Great to see you here again. You have had wonderful adventures :) Your hair looks so long, happy and healthy now!

(Looks like Brian Froud enjoyed his stay with the goblins after all :) )

spidermom
January 12th, 2017, 05:29 PM
wow - must be the angle of the shot; your hair looks to be classic length already. It's very pretty.

embee
January 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Perfectly beautiful! (envy envy envy!)

CindyOfTheOaks
January 12th, 2017, 06:43 PM
What a journey !
Your hair is beautiful :)

lithostoic
January 12th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Welcome back ^-^ Don't worry, I remember ya. Love your texture! Also your adventures sound amazing c:

Ophidian
January 12th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Your hair is lovely and your adventures sound magical!

dvep
January 12th, 2017, 08:42 PM
How glorious and inspiring! It's amazing to see how much just caring for hair improves its quality...makes me hopeful for myself!

Swan Maiden
January 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I was just wondering about you. Your hair journey is inspiring and the results of good care really shine through.

Entangled
January 12th, 2017, 08:49 PM
It's so nice to see you back! Your hair is beautiful.

Dessi
January 12th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Absolutely beautiful! And you hair story was so interesting to read, very insipirational indeed. :) Congratulations! :flower:

RavenRose
January 12th, 2017, 10:38 PM
That is amazing!

Dona
January 13th, 2017, 12:51 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, full and so much shinier compared to the first picture.

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Welcome back! :) I wondered where you had disappeared to. Your hair is amazing! :thud:

Cannelle
January 13th, 2017, 01:35 AM
What a transformation, very motivating! I love the shine and the texture too.

Suze
January 13th, 2017, 02:01 AM
Wow, that is amazing. That progress!!:applause Your hair is amazing! :crush:

yvsa
January 13th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Wow, all the effort really paid off. :applause
Your hair looks amazing:thud:.

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Wo-hooow, that is amazing, fiğrildi. Awesome. :applause

I had curly perms too at one point, and also let them grow out. It taught me to *deal* with wavy hair (hard to explain), and I was happy enough to find my own texture lurking beneath it. You look like you're happy with your newly found texture as well.

Again, amazing progress. :joy:

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2017, 03:06 AM
I remember you! Welcome back and congratulations on your beautiful hair. What a difference! I agree that it looks like you've reached Classic length now.

Arctic
January 13th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Great to see you again, I'm looking forward to hear (and see you beautiful photography!) more about your adventures!

Wow your hair is indeed awesome! I agree with others, looks like it's classic from the angle the photo was taken. Also, your hair is about to grow out of the frame :D

stachelbeere
January 13th, 2017, 04:40 AM
INCREDIBLE!!!!!! I love that you call it "the cape of awesomeness" :flower:

samanthaa
January 13th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Your hair is truly beautiful and is looking so healthy. Congrats on all-virgin. How is it possible that your hair looks even thicker when part of it is pulled up into a half-up?! *is jealous*

Hay_jules
January 13th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Amazing change in your hair! It's beautiful. And your travels sound amazing also.

DaveDecker
January 13th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Fabulous cape of awesomeness, indeed! :applause

Hailwidis
January 13th, 2017, 01:58 PM
What an amazing journey your hair has been on! Congratulations, great progress. :)

Mimha
January 15th, 2017, 06:35 AM
fiğrildi !!! :joy: :joy:

Thanks for giving us news !! I'm so happy to read from you ! :) And what news : your hair is just so fantastically healthy, shiny, wavy, silky, natural looking, LONG and BEAUTIFUL !!
:thudpile: :thudpile:

:bigeyes: Such dreamy hair !... I had not realized before to which extend your permed part was a concern to you, because I have always found your hair so natural and healthy looking. But now that it is all virgin, I can see how it really is in all its own genuine beauty, and oh my goodness... you have the most beautiful big caramel waves ever ! :cloud9: :crush: :crush:

MidnightMoon
January 15th, 2017, 06:35 AM
It looks great ;)

Medievalmaniac
January 15th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Are you sure that's just TBL? It looks like Classic, or very, very close, to me! Congratulations on a wonderful hair journey!

Nymphe
January 15th, 2017, 08:25 AM
:applause What a wonderful transition from the perm. I am glad you did not cut your hair and showed it can be done. Congrats!

hayheadsbird
January 15th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Wow! The photos showed such an incredible transformation. I was impressed with the first photo, but then comparing it to later Ines was amazing! Thank you so much for posting, I'm feeling very inspired now :)

turtlelover
January 15th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Looks great! Congratulations!

Zebra Fish
January 15th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Beautiful hair fiğrildi :D And love your story.

pili
January 15th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Such gorgeous hair and such a great story! Your virgin hair really is a "cape of awesomeness!" Your current length is my goal length. I hope I can reach there as healthy as you. I too would love to hear what your current routine is like, as well as any things that helped you along the way.

Crystawni
January 15th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Looking soooooooooo good, fiğrildi! Congrats on being a grown-again virgin, and reaching TBL! And yay for returning to update us all. Your journey has been so cool to follow, so thank you!

Juanita
January 15th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I remember you. What a beautiful journey your hair has been on. Looks classic or very near to me too.

Mirabele
January 16th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Amazing progress, happy healthy hair! I love your natural waves!

cgirl
February 1st, 2017, 11:08 PM
It's very inspiring how you got your shine back! :magic:

In the picture from 2015 how many inches are left? I cannot see a demarcation line and since I'm growing out a perm myself, I'm curious where it would be approximately in time.

Dante
February 2nd, 2017, 05:14 AM
Incredible and inspiring!

DarkChocolate
February 2nd, 2017, 11:37 AM
Beautiful! It seems like totally different hair now! So shiny and smooth:)

fiğrildi
March 15th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much everyone, for all your kind comments :) :love:

The last pictures were taken with a wide angle lens, so the angle is a wee bit strange (I wish I was at classic already, but alas, nope!). But I have to say that I have been claiming my length goals wavy, so I'm very close to classic when straight (after washing).

All your words moved me, but I've been a bit lazy to reply to everyone. I'll try to answer some of your questions, though!

Your hair is absolutely stunning. Congrats! Has your routine changed at all?

Yes, it has! I am very neglect now. Basically, I have no routine anymore. I wash when necessary, usually every 5 to 8 days. I wash my scalp with shampoo. I alternate with Lush solid shampoo -Soak and Float-, and Alberto Balsam antioxidant blueberry (it's meant for coloured or damaged hair, but I like the smell). I have had this shampoo bottle for 7 months now, and it's still plenty of product left!
After washing my scalp, I rinse very well, and then apply lots of conditioner to the whole hair (from roots to tips). I have 3 kinds of conditioner now, that I alternate (Natural World brazilian keratin, Natural World argan oil of Morocco, and my favourite: Monoi Coconut Oil). I detangle while the hair is full of conditioner, then I bun and let the conditioner work for 5 to 10 minutes. I rinse, and then apply some Garnier Respons Mythic Olive hair mask from mid to tips. Rinse again after 3 to 5 minutes, this time with coldish water. And I let the hair air dry naturally :)

Usually after 3 days, my scalp starts to get oily, and I will avoid washing by using a bit of talcum powder on the roots (in the morning), or "No Drought" dry shampoo by Lush (only before going to bed). I will use very little product, if I use too much, my scalp will get oilier much faster.

Such gorgeous hair and such a great story! Your virgin hair really is a "cape of awesomeness!" Your current length is my goal length. I hope I can reach there as healthy as you. I too would love to hear what your current routine is like, as well as any things that helped you along the way.

I braid everyday (side english braid). That's my style 98% of the time :face:. Sometimes I will bun around the house, but very few times I will let it loose (that's one of the things I miss, but at this length it's quite unpractical).
I'm not S&D'ing anymore (I notice all my splits, I do have a lot, but I don't obsess over them). I self-microtrim when I feel I need a refresh, but I'm not following the moon calendar or anything like that anymore. Generally I stay out of scissors, I don't measure more than once a month, I fingercomb when needed.

I used to sleep with a silk bonnet before, I did notice a big improvement in the overall feel of my hair, but I'm not using it anymore. I sleep with loose hair, braided hair, or bunned hair, depending on the mood. My pillow cover is regular, but I used to have silk pillows before (and plan to come back to them). I never use any kind of heat on my hair.
And I love coconut oil :)

It's very inspiring how you got your shine back! :magic:

In the picture from 2015 how many inches are left? I cannot see a demarcation line and since I'm growing out a perm myself, I'm curious where it would be approximately in time.

The shine can be achieved by rinsing with cold water ^^.
I'm not sure how much perm was left in that picture (2015), but I guess around 20 cm? Some days the perm seemed to merge with my natural texture, but I could never predict when this would happen. I noticed that by straight combing while my hair was wet, I could manage to relax my permed part a little, if I didn't comb after washing, my curls would be more noticeable. Good luck with growing out your perm! :love:

Aredhel
March 15th, 2017, 05:36 PM
This is such an amazing and inspiring journey, fiğrildi! I'm in complete awe. :heartbeat

pamrlyn
March 15th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Welcome back! I'm glad you are safe & sound. your hair looks absolutely fabulous! congratulations !

:cheer:

Vanilla
March 15th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Your waves are fabulous! Congrats on your anniversary.

lucid
March 16th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Gorgeous hair!

Babyfine
March 16th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Wow, great progress and awesome hair! A testimony to patience and not having to do the big chop to grow out.

Groovy Granny
March 16th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Gorgeous ~ congrats :applause