PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to worry about bunning in the same place everyday?

hamilton
January 12th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Was able to make the move from messy buns and ponytails to a cinnabun maybe 2 months ago and today I realized I always make it in the same spot (feel it looks best and is most comfortable there) where I used to move messy buns and ponytail around. I've seen in other threads that you shouldn't always secure hair in the same spot, but it also seems that most people bun in approximately the same spot most of the time, so maybe its fine? I don't know that that I've noticed any problems but would rather not have any develop. I also generally take it down or switch things up at home after work if that make a difference.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 12th, 2017, 03:36 PM
As long as it's not extremely tight, it will be fine. If you can fit a finger between the bun and your head it's loose enough to be safe for your hair. It sounds like you are doing all the right things :)

lapushka
January 12th, 2017, 03:40 PM
I agree with Sarah. I have been doing my LWB in the same "sweet spot" for years... years, and as long as it's not tight, it's absolutely fine.

hamilton
January 12th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks, that's a relief! I am a fan of the cinnabun and it seems to be better for my hair, but I really only like it in that one spot from a look perspective. I'll just make sure it's loose enough.

Anje
January 12th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Usually it's fine, but it probably doesn't hurt to keep an eye on that spot just to make sure nothing weird happens. I've had a sweet spot too. On the other hand, pre-LHC when I was ponytailing my hair in the same spot all the time, I ended up with a lot of breakage right around the point where the elastic went. In that case, I attribute it to the elastic, my "tightening" the ponytail, and the way elastics support hair vs the way other updo methods do. But the fact remains that I had breakage including a big chunk from the center of my head where the weight was mostly supported.

So try not to hold your updos solely with an elastic, and don't tighten your ponytails by grabbing two chunks and pulling them apart. Hairsticks, forks, etc. are a better alternative.

truepeacenik
January 12th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Anje,
I basically created my (former) dreads by the ponytail tightening you describe.
It's called twist and rip.
Eeeek!