PDA

View Full Version : I singed my hair [Accident] [1.6 Years]

Bandedloot
January 12th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Well, I was basically cooking and got my hair near some fire while grabbing something from the ground. Totally singed some hair. It smelled and I could actually see some drop.
I am a guy with some 3c(??) near shoulders I think. My hair has volume so it didn't really look that bad and I don't think I burned any scalp. Just an inch or max 2 inches from the center of my head.
http://i.epvpimg.com/JoA5e.jpg
Do you think I should get a hair cut or just keep growing? If I should keep it. How can I keep my curl definitions and let them hang like this pic(after a wash) more often without having it being so wet?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 12th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I can't see anything wrong with your hair, if I were you I would just keep growing:) You would need to ask a curly person about the curl definition, I don't know. But I think your hair looks great :D

lapushka
January 12th, 2017, 03:42 PM
It looks fine to me. :shrug:

Eas693
January 12th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I don't even see where it happened? You should totally keep growing it looks amazing

Anje
January 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I don't see the singed spot at all, so I don't think there's any reason to cut with regard to that. Also, your curls are awesome!

Regarding curl definition, are you using any leave-ins? Hair gel or curling cream applied while your hair is wet is usually a good option. Once it's dry, you can scrunch it a bit to make it not crunchy but to keep the curls defined and minimally frizzy. Not fully rinsing out your conditioner is another really easy way to get some more defined curls.

Edit: Look into getting yourself a satin (silk or polyester, but poly doesn't feel very nice against skin) pillowcase. Or even a satin sleep bonnet. Either of those will help overnight to keep your curls from getting pulled apart til they look frizzy. That might be enough so that you don't need to wet it in the morning?

pailin
January 12th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I think it looks fine. You can't have burnt much more than some ends; there might be some unevenness but if so, your curls hide them nicely.
I did that once years ago; caught my hair on fire on one side. Smelled awful until I washed it and kind of felt like I had some split ends, but no big deal actually. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep growing.

MudderOfDragunz
January 12th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Ugh, that's the more horrible thing ever isn't it? I leaned down into a stove and lost an inch on one side of my hair about five years ago!

I think your hair looks great, the curls hide it well - keep growing!

Bandedloot
January 12th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Ugh, that's the more horrible thing ever isn't it? I leaned down into a stove and lost an inch on one side of my hair about five years ago!

I think your hair looks great, the curls hide it well - keep growing!

Yes, I almost got a heart attack when I realized I burnt some hair. The way from the kitchen to the mirror was horrifying. I expect something really bad but I guess it's okay?
The thing about growing this type of hair is that it gets really annoying sometimes. It tangles almost instantly after de tangling it with my fingers in a shower or so. And I am really serious when i say instantly. Just de tangle it (usually lose some hair during the process because it gets stuck or w/e) then lwt it dry to find it shrinking and kind of bulking up (loses this cool hanging curls) and then tangles again after some hours.

Bandedloot
January 12th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Also what kind of hair is mine? Is it kinky, coiled, or curly? I am relatively new to all the hair stuff haha.

Ophidian
January 12th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Welcome bandedloot!

Here's an intro to hair typing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

There aren't photos of some of the kinky/coily/curly types, but once you have some idea of what type you might be, look for threads devoted to that type. There are active members here with hair of every texture, cut, and color of the rainbow!

Sorry about the incident. I melted a fair bit of my hair off standing too close to a heater several years ago. Not so fun.

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Also what kind of hair is mine? Is it kinky, coiled, or curly? I am relatively new to all the hair stuff haha.

I think you might be 3c, or 3b/c, judging from your coils. If they're as wide as a pencil, you're 3c, if they're as wide as a sharpie, you're more 3b. You can best judge that. Harder to tell from a picture.

Your hair looks great. How have you been taking care of it. I think it looks great. Whatever works, right?

Bandedloot
January 13th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Welcome bandedloot!

Here's an intro to hair typing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

There aren't photos of some of the kinky/coily/curly types, but once you have some idea of what type you might be, look for threads devoted to that type. There are active members here with hair of every texture, cut, and color of the rainbow!

Sorry about the incident. I melted a fair bit of my hair off standing too close to a heater several years ago. Not so fun.

Ye definitely not so fun.
Thanks I will try to identify mine.

Bandedloot
January 13th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I think you might be 3c, or 3b/c, judging from your coils. If they're as wide as a pencil, you're 3c, if they're as wide as a sharpie, you're more 3b. You can best judge that. Harder to tell from a picture.

Your hair looks great. How have you been taking care of it. I think it looks great. Whatever works, right?

Well, actually this is odd. I am from Egypt and uhmm guys with long hair are not really common. I think it looks great but for some reason people keeping giving me the looks whenever I go out. Been thinking about hiding it with a hat or something but the volume is actually a problem, no hats fit all this hair haha.

I am not doing anything tbh. Just washing it twice a week and leaving some conditioner there and that's about it. It looks best when it's that wet(as the picture). However, when it's dry it just shrinks and no curls can be seen from distance. Just a bulk of hair atop of my head that doesn't hang down(I really want it to hang, ALWAYS).

Bandedloot
January 13th, 2017, 03:09 PM
I guess what I am doing is called wash and go or something brcause that's probably all I do. I wash it and just let it air dry.

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I guess what I am doing is called wash and go or something brcause that's probably all I do. I wash it and just let it air dry.

No actually a proper "wash 'n go" is when you've slathered it in product. You need to add products to it after washing your hair to moisturize it, if you do that it will look very similar as to when it is wet and will hang down more. You need a leave-in, an oil or serum and some cream or gel. It's part of the LOC method. Check out my signature to go to the appropriate thread on that. Might be worth it also to check out the curly "girl" method (it's for guys too ;)):
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Well, actually this is odd. I am from Egypt and uhmm guys with long hair are not really common. I think it looks great but for some reason people keeping giving me the looks whenever I go out. Been thinking about hiding it with a hat or something but the volume is actually a problem, no hats fit all this hair haha.

I am not doing anything tbh. Just washing it twice a week and leaving some conditioner there and that's about it. It looks best when it's that wet(as the picture). However, when it's dry it just shrinks and no curls can be seen from distance. Just a bulk of hair atop of my head that doesn't hang down(I really want it to hang, ALWAYS).

There is a thread around called "gentlemen start your postings," on which you will find lots of guys talking about being long haired guys (among other things) :)

Nymphe
January 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I say you are 3c kinky-curly. You will have to somewhat "train" your hair to clump the curls and reduce the frizz, but you will still have volume. What products do you have access to? Have you checked out any YouTube videos of people with similar hair type? Yes, those videos will be mostly made by females; do not let that deter you.

lapushka
January 15th, 2017, 09:00 AM
I say you are 3c kinky-curly. You will have to somewhat "train" your hair to clump the curls and reduce the frizz, but you will still have volume. What products do you have access to? Have you checked out any YouTube videos of people with similar hair type? Yes, those videos will be mostly made by females; do not let that deter you.

Yes. Hair = hair, especially when growing it longer these videos will be a huge help.

This is a 3c lady:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscoCurlsTV

Bandedloot
January 18th, 2017, 04:15 AM
http://i.epvpimg.com/ZH1ce.jpg
Well, that's what I hate about growing my hair. Once it's completely dry. This happens!
Now you imagine what happens when I try to detangle it again. Acomplete mess, some loss, AND, A LOT of time. And I kinda have to do it on regular basis. The longer it's dry and tangled the worse it gets when you're fixing it.

lapushka
January 18th, 2017, 06:22 AM
http://i.epvpimg.com/ZH1ce.jpg
Well, that's what I hate about growing my hair. Once it's completely dry. This happens!
Now you imagine what happens when I try to detangle it again. Acomplete mess, some loss, AND, A LOT of time. And I kinda have to do it on regular basis. The longer it's dry and tangled the worse it gets when you're fixing it.

Have you tried the LOC method yet? (link is in my signature)
Have you looked at the channel of the YT'er I linked?

Try and search YT for 3c/4a hair, and follow their routines for a wash 'n go (including moisturizing *after* washing).

Then come back to us. ;)

You're going to have to invest a little time (research) and a number of products that you need, but your hair can surely be defined much more.