PDA

View Full Version : Donating hair to charity

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 12th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Has anyone ever done this? It is my goal this year to donate at least 12 inches of hair to charity that makes wigs for those with cancer, I'm currently growing my hair which is waist at the moment and rough guess is it will need to be tb or classic to allow me to donate hair without leaving me with short hair. So far has been ok just making sure I look after my hair to avoid end damage so don't have to have big trim

kittengirl
January 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I have done this 3 times in the past, when I was younger, I donated to Locks of Love but I have heard bad things about them since then so I do not recommend that one. I'm not certain which one would be best.
On a side note, I hate when random people ask if you are growing your hair out to donate!

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM
There are a couple I'm looking at locks of love is not one of them mainly as I to have heard bad things of them plus they don't accept dyed hair which mine is,currently debating growing it out and then using henna if I can find a shade that is similar to this colour. I have been meaning to do this for years but ends kept getting top ratty so had to cut.

Anje
January 12th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Definitely don't henna it if you mean to donate it. No wig maker will ever be able to get the color corrected to match it to other hair, if you henna.

I donated mine once, a few years before I joined LHC, but have since learned that locks of love is not particularly reputable and makes the children who do receive wigs jump through a huge number of hoops just to get a wig at reduced cost. If you want to make a difference, you're probably better off donating money than hair to an effort. Ancient website, but this had a rather scathing analysis on the main organization: http://web.archive.org/web/20140703114513/http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove

NimbleNut
January 12th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I have a friend who donated her hair to Children with Hair Loss and had a good experience. I've never donated any hair though. It's never been long enough!

samanthaa
January 12th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I've heard OK things about Pantene's Beautiful Lengths campaign, but this was a few years ago and I don't remember much today about what I read. Definitely do some research about whichever foundation you plan to donate to!

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 12th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I don't plan on doing the henna until I have done the donate cut, hair is currently dyed very dark brown but has faded with 3-4 inch of roots so far last dye was in october. I think I'm going with little princess trust they do accept dyed hair as long as it's natural colours.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 12th, 2017, 03:09 PM
I believe they (Locks of Love) don't accept hair which is grey, dyed, or damaged from heat styling or flat ironing.

What you could do, if you want, is sell your hair privately, and donate the money you get from that to a cancer charity.

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 12th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I don't plan on donating to lol have heard a lot of bad things about them. Am also planning on donating money to macmillan and possibly fundraising as well

littlestarface
January 12th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Has anyone ever done this? It is my goal this year to donate at least 12 inches of hair to charity that makes wigs for those with cancer, I'm currently growing my hair which is waist at the moment and rough guess is it will need to be tb or classic to allow me to donate hair without leaving me with short hair. So far has been ok just making sure I look after my hair to avoid end damage so don't have to have big trim

Wouldn't it be better and easier to just donate money?

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 12th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Probably lol but thought my hair donation could help; may just grow hair anyway as my goal has always been classic length again, had this years ago but had to cut it to bsl after getting a huge chunk stuck in my bag zip ouch

lapushka
January 12th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Probably lol but thought my hair donation could help; may just grow hair anyway as my goal has always been classic length again, had this years ago but had to cut it to bsl after getting a huge chunk stuck in my bag zip ouch

I would 1/keep growing my hair (not donate hair at all) 2/give money to a worthwhile cause.

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 13th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the input has given me a lot to think about back to the drawing board me thinks

Carolyn
January 13th, 2017, 07:59 AM
There are many rewarding and worthwhile ways to contribute and make the world a better place without donating your hair.

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 13th, 2017, 10:51 AM
That is very true I think I'm just going to donate money to charities and keep my hair lolx

littlestarface
January 13th, 2017, 11:20 AM
That is very true I think I'm just going to donate money to charities and keep my hair lolx

Very wise choice and now you don't have too much worries on your shoulders, now you can just relax and let it grow.

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Yes! Smart choice. You don't have to cut your hair off for that reason. I'm sure a few charities will welcome the monies you put towards them.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 13th, 2017, 02:29 PM
You could also donate blood, if you feel so inclined. That's a great help :D

lapushka
January 13th, 2017, 03:01 PM
You could also donate blood, if you feel so inclined. That's a great help :D

Yes, especially if you have a rare blood type, but I'm sure any blood is welcome!

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 13th, 2017, 03:07 PM
This might not be the best place to ask about donating hair. You will get a lot of "NO DONT DO IT!" .... like above... LOL
But its ok. You should do what you want. Haha.. Let me look.
There is:
Wigs for kids
Wigs 4 kids
Pantene Beautiful lengths
Children with Hair Loss
Matter of Trust clean Wave project

if you ever decide to donate your hair.
it does help, my boyfriends sister had cancer and received a wig and wore it until she hit remission, the wigs do help.
money helps too but the wigs help too. :)

Alun
January 13th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Lots of negatives with no specifics about Locks of Love. AFAIK, each of the following is true about them:-

1) They discard a lot of hair;
2) They sell hair that is donated to them;
3) Their wigs are not for cancer patients, only other disorders;
4) They only provide wigs to girls, not boys (sexist, much?).

Chromis
January 13th, 2017, 09:36 PM
When I was bald after my surgery, I tried on a couple of wigs, the human hair ones were really hot and comfortable and are much harder to take of. Many of those organizations focus on kids, and they actually seem like a pretty bad choice for a kid honestly!

littlestarface
January 13th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Both my grandmas had cancer and 1 got wigs but synthetic ones, she didn't even like wearing the fake one. When I asked she rather have a real hair she said I couldn't care less. I seriously doubt hair is the number 1 priority for someone going through something like cancer. Money is much more beneficial as it can be used for much more important things.

embee
January 14th, 2017, 06:55 AM
My friend who lost her hair during cancer treatments found the fake hair wig more comfortable and easier to care for also. And she often just wore a headscarf, no wig at all, said that was better still.

lapushka
January 14th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I think if you are still in the workforce, wigs are important, especially if you don't want it *known* and out there all the time, so that you get asked a million questions.

Edit:

One aunt wore a wig, and one didn't. It depends on the person, I guess, but the one who did wear one swore to the last minute there was "nothing wrong" (of course a lot of whispers of "Is she wearing a wig?"), and then all of a sudden the bubble burst and... it was too late and she was terminal. Then of course everyone knew. :( I hate talking about this, though... It's such a terrible terrible disease and everyone deals with it differently.

draysmir
January 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I know there is a lot of discouragement for you not to cut your hair, but if you want to I think you should! :) I donated my hair 2 1/2years ago to Pantene Beautiful Lengths and it went pretty well, you only need 8 inches of hair to donate to them too, so you wouldn't have to grow your hair as long before cutting it if you didn't want to do the 12 inches :)

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 14th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I appreciate all the responses , I'm definitely going to donate money to charities hair I may consider it when I hit classic. I have donated blood before been meaning to do it again

Chromis
January 14th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I appreciate all the responses , I'm definitely going to donate money to charities hair I may consider it when I hit classic. I have donated blood before been meaning to do it again

If you are looking to make a difference for someone in medical need, plasma is another to consider. :flower:

(Not that I am pushing you to donate anything, just that it seems like something relevant for you!)

Eilidh Wolfbane
January 14th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I think I will look into this. I'm not sure why I want to donate something just felt it was my way of giving back and also was a goal to aim for which is something I find helps me in my recovery from depression, long way to go but made big steps

Chromis
January 14th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a great start! May the sun shine brighter for you soon :sun:

Flipgirl24
January 14th, 2017, 10:48 PM
I think I will look into this. I'm not sure why I want to donate something just felt it was my way of giving back and also was a goal to aim for which is something I find helps me in my recovery from depression, long way to go but made big steps

I applaud you for your wanting to help others. I don't remember the saying but it is something about how helping others helps you. What a nice gesture. Whether it's money, hair or blood, the intention and generosity is there.

bparnell75
October 24th, 2020, 12:58 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50524404143_d9e30efd80_w.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jYEM7g)At my grandsons 21st birthday party last night, I had the priviedge of cutting his pony tail . He has grown it for 4 years and will donate it to a charity.

Jane99
October 24th, 2020, 02:57 PM
Congratulations, proud Grandma!

bparnell75
October 25th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Congratulations, proud Grandma!

Thank you Jane99
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50524404143_d9e30efd80_w.jpg