PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties putting my hair up

thunderseed
January 9th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I never wear my hair up so maybe it's because I'm a noob but every time I try to put my hair up in a bun I get unsightly bulges on the top and the bottom. I've tried various different kinds of buns while following youtube tutorials, and all of them end up with ugly bulges. I can't seem to get my hair to stay tight against my scalp.

Also, another problem I have is no matter how much I detangle my hair, as soon as I try to put it up, it gets masses of tangles in it instantly, and it's so thick that I can't seem to hold it with one hand and twist it with the other to do buns, it's very hard to work with. And while I'm trying to gather all my hair and make it super sleek and tight in like a centered ponytail or something, tons of tangles start to happen and prevent me from getting as sleek as I would like, or my hair develops a mind of its own and tries to break free.

I mean, I watch all those girls in the youtube videos and they put their hair up super fast, and their hair seems very easy, sleek with 0 tangles in it. They don't get bumps or bulges in theirs. But my hair turns into medusa hair or something every time I try to put it up.

Can anyone give me any tips?

Anje
January 9th, 2017, 10:24 PM
If it's tangling badly, probably the first thing to address is why that is. Start with a good clarifying wash -- lather with a clarifying sulfate shampoo all the way to your ends, maybe even twice. Condition after. If that doesn't do it, there are a few things with protein/moisture balance that are worth fiddling with before you assume you've got bad ends that need trimmed, so don't give up hope immediately.

Maybe start trying to put your hair up when it's braided, instead of simply twisting it. That can make it a lot easier to handle. Some people prefer rope braids to the standard 3-strands; I didn't, but it's a personal preference thing.

How are you trying to secure the buns, that they're not staying against your scalp? Some securing methods are better than others, but trying to hold buns on long hair with an elastic is almost always awful. It's loose at the scalp, pulls near the hairline, sags like crazy, and is frequently uncomfortable. I like hairsticks for securing updos, but forks are probably an easier learning curve. I never had much luck with claw clips personally, but lots of folks swear by them.

hayheadsbird
January 9th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Would trying lower at the nape of you neck help to start? Then you wouldn't have to lift so much till you get the hang of the bun.

thunderseed
January 9th, 2017, 11:54 PM
If it's tangling badly, probably the first thing to address is why that is. Start with a good clarifying wash -- lather with a clarifying sulfate shampoo all the way to your ends, maybe even twice. Condition after. If that doesn't do it, there are a few things with protein/moisture balance that are worth fiddling with before you assume you've got bad ends that need trimmed, so don't give up hope immediately.

Maybe start trying to put your hair up when it's braided, instead of simply twisting it. That can make it a lot easier to handle. Some people prefer rope braids to the standard 3-strands; I didn't, but it's a personal preference thing.

How are you trying to secure the buns, that they're not staying against your scalp? Some securing methods are better than others, but trying to hold buns on long hair with an elastic is almost always awful. It's loose at the scalp, pulls near the hairline, sags like crazy, and is frequently uncomfortable. I like hairsticks for securing updos, but forks are probably an easier learning curve. I never had much luck with claw clips personally, but lots of folks swear by them.

I clarify my hair once a week. I condition it daily and put a bit of avocado oil in and also some Fast Food leave in conditioner while it's still damp and those two things don't seem to make it feel tacky. It feels soft and moisturized. I also did a recent trim.

I'm not really sure how to describe the problem but it's more than just tangles, it's like as soon as I touch or move my hair, it poofs up and develops a lot of volume and feels very thick and hard to run my fingers through, and then it's also prone to tangles.

The girls on those youtube videos have such flat sleek hair, mine just poofs up when I touch it. It's naturally straight but it can get very poofy and holds curls and shapes really well. I can easily get the Big sexy hair look, but it's not really my thing.

I usually wear my hair parted in the center, and then trying to brush it back is really hard to do, my hair feels just very heavy and the bangs get tangled and don't want to become part of the rest of my hair and it's like my fingers can't get through the hair because it's decided to poof up, become sort of solid feeling and just stick together. I don't know how to describe it lol. This thread is making me sound really dumb, but I really truly haven't worn my hair up much in my entire life.

I sort of managed to do a half decent bun tonight with damp hair, damp hair makes my hair more managble, when it's dry it has more volume. But I still had an ugly bulge at the back that I just ignored...

I've been using a fake ficcare to hold the buns in place, one I found at Sally's to hold it (it's 5 inches long like the large maximus) and that's been working way better than anything else I've ever tried!
Tonight it stayed in for 2 whole hours of non stop badminton and didn't even budge. That's quite a miracle to me, because my hair is always like an escape artist.
But I still had a bulge at the back of my hair, and it took literally an hour of me trying to put my hair up in the bun because of how thick and poofy and tangly it is (the hardest part is trying to get it up and gathered into a centered or low or high pony tail, and then I'm still getting used to twisting my hair it's so long but I guess that just takes practice).

hayheadsbird
January 9th, 2017, 11:57 PM
What's you ponytail circumference? Your stats say ii but from your description I'm thinking it must be more?

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 12:17 AM
What's you ponytail circumference? Your stats say ii but from your description I'm thinking it must be more?

It's only 4 inches around, it's pretty fine too, but it just poofs up and gets super unmanagable.

hayheadsbird
January 10th, 2017, 12:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that puts you in iii :)

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 12:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that puts you in iii :)

Oh, I thought the guide said it had to be more than 4 inches to be iii :o

Decoy24601
January 10th, 2017, 12:37 AM
At 4in even it would be ii/iii technically :).

Your hair might still be a bit too short to securely make buns with your thickness maybe? I think it's mostly just a learning curve. Try leaning your head back while you gather hair to form the bun and while you're making the bun. I find that makes it a lot easier. There are plenty of people with iii hair who still manage to do buns, even with people who have wavier hair, so I think it's definitely possible. I have a 5" pony circumference and at about 37" I could start doing LWBs. I could have probably done cinnabuns before that if I knew how.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 12:56 AM
At 4in even it would be ii/iii technically :).

Your hair might still be a bit too short to securely make buns with your thickness maybe? I think it's mostly just a learning curve. Try leaning your head back while you gather hair to form the bun and while you're making the bun. I find that makes it a lot easier. There are plenty of people with iii hair who still manage to do buns, even with people who have wavier hair, so I think it's definitely possible. I have a 5" pony circumference and at about 37" I could start doing LWBs. I could have probably done cinnabuns before that if I knew how.

Thanks, it's too short to do some of the buns I've seen for really long hair on youtube, but then I was also looking at some cool looking ones that only worked good for much shorter hair than mine.

The lazy wrap bun didn't hold so great. I failed at doing the cinnabun many times LoL.

I can't remember the name of the one I had success with tonight and now I can't find the video, but it's basically putting your hair up like you were about to do a centered ponytail, twisting, and then basically wrapping the twist around in a tight circle until there's only a bit of ends up at the top, then secure the ficcare over the ends and through the top of the hair against the scalp and not actually through the bun itself, and that held really, really well for me. But I still managed to make it look bulgy at the bottom somehow.

lapushka
January 10th, 2017, 03:58 AM
No if you hit 4 inches, you're iii. iii = 4 inches and up.

I'm 4.25" and I need to wait to hip to do a bun (that is between loose & tight)! It needs to be TBL at least to be able to do a bun *comfortably* (loose). If that tells you anything. 34 inches of length is ??? BSL?

Simsy
January 10th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Another option for putting hair up is do a half-up, where you put half your hair into a bun of some description; then wrap the other half around the outside and secure. Try this one from Torrin,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

You might also be one of those people who has more luck with a Nautalis before the LWB. Give it a shot and see if you have any better luck.

hannabiss
January 10th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Just here with sympathy. I have fine/straight hair. I clarify regularly. And my hair always tangles. I mean I have been doing a french braid for a ywar now yet no matter how much I try to make sure my sectiona arent tangled...they tangle ill try to braid and *snap* ive pulled a hair the magically appeared. I can comb my hair smooth. 10 minutes later I will have tangles. So I know what someone means when they say "It just tangles"

neko_kawaii
January 10th, 2017, 04:50 AM
Your description of immediate poofyness makes me wonder if you have waiver hair than you think you do. Mine also tangles immediately. For the lumpy stuff, you may need to comb those sections as you start a bun to get them to lay flat. Sometimes detangling the length a little as you bun helps, though that shouldn't be too much of an issue at your length.

My main advice is to practice. I remember having tons of lumps and tangles when I first started wearing my hair up (college) but with practice I could convince the lumps to lay flat without combing them. Pick one thing to learn at a time. For example, learn the structure of a bun so that you can put it up quickly and comfortably. Once you have that mastered, figure out how to eliminate lumps. Then how to make the length sleek. It can be quite overwhelming learning to handle your hair AND fussing over a perfect presensation at the same time.

ipickee
January 10th, 2017, 06:34 AM
When my hair was shorter, I had to wear my buns lower. As it's gotten longer, I can wear it as high as I want. There really are some styles you can only do as it gets longer. For reals. Even some of the more simple buns get much easier with even a tiny bit more length. I think when I hit APL, I could get it into a bun much easier. In six months, you're going to be surprised you had this problem. Sometimes, it just takes practice :).

enting
January 10th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Sometimes the hair needs to be "trained" to go a different direction and not bump up oddly. I would be willing to bet that any youtuber who can put their hair up smoothly really quickly probably does that style a lot. Their hair, hands, and head are probably all used to behaving in that position.
Try detangling in whatever position you want the base of your hairstyle to be. If I want to do a topknot or high bun or ponytail, I detangle and comb with my head upside down. Would a little bit of oil or serum help give your hair more slip and allow the strands to not bunch up as much? I know some call it blasphemy, but sometimes I bun my soaking wet hair and that helps it be smoother.
If nothing else, you could still wear those styles before mastering the smoothed look if you pair it with a nice wide fabric headband to hide all the bumps while showing off the nice updo, or just embrace the messy look! :)

PrincessBob
January 10th, 2017, 08:41 AM
With my iii hair, I was unable to get it done in protective LHC buns until I was practically at hip, but what I have learned is that I can make double buns at much shorter lengths. Part you hair down the center and practice the bun you're trying to create on each side of your head, secure with sticks or small forks. This method is nice because you can see what you are trying to do from the front, and bonus, depending on how high you place them they look like bear ears.

OhSuzi
January 10th, 2017, 09:03 AM
practice? Put some kind of smooth product on your hair before you attempt to put it up? Go to the hair dresser and ask them to put your hair up / show you how to do it yourself - or ditto with a pal who good at doing hair? Try half ups instead.

For smooth crown I always tipped my head upside down when sticking it in a pony. & brushed or combed it into place.

or go with the bumps & scrunch in some waves & have a messy bun up do

or try half ups to start off with?

I always struggle with braids,my hair is only long enough for little french braidy pigtails or fringe at the mo - it always looks messy as I cant hold onto all the sections & hairs mix into the wrong section & I cant see whats happening at the sides / back. But then I always try and do I rush job - perhaps it just takes practice time and the right tools.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:02 AM

I'm 4.25" and I need to wait to hip to do a bun (that is between loose & tight)! It needs to be TBL at least to be able to do a bun *comfortably* (loose). If that tells you anything. 34 inches of length is ??? BSL?

Okay thanks, on me 34 inches falls to my lower back, I have 4 more inches to go until I hit hip length on me. What is it that makes it harder for shorter lengths to do loose buns? Just not enough hair to wrap around?

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:09 AM
With my iii hair, I was unable to get it done in protective LHC buns until I was practically at hip, but what I have learned is that I can make double buns at much shorter lengths. Part you hair down the center and practice the bun you're trying to create on each side of your head, secure with sticks or small forks. This method is nice because you can see what you are trying to do from the front, and bonus, depending on how high you place them they look like bear ears.

Thanks, that sounds cute I'll try that one out today too. Sounds like everyone's saying it'll get easier as it grows out longer.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Sometimes the hair needs to be "trained" to go a different direction and not bump up oddly. I would be willing to bet that any youtuber who can put their hair up smoothly really quickly probably does that style a lot. Their hair, hands, and head are probably all used to behaving in that position.
Try detangling in whatever position you want the base of your hairstyle to be. If I want to do a topknot or high bun or ponytail, I detangle and comb with my head upside down. Would a little bit of oil or serum help give your hair more slip and allow the strands to not bunch up as much? I know some call it blasphemy, but sometimes I bun my soaking wet hair and that helps it be smoother.
If nothing else, you could still wear those styles before mastering the smoothed look if you pair it with a nice wide fabric headband to hide all the bumps while showing off the nice updo, or just embrace the messy look! :)

Thanks, I was wondering if maybe that was the case, since my hair is just not used to going back like that. It does seem to help somewhat to put some slippery serum in my hair, and definitely helps when it's more wet than dry. The headband is a good idea lol.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Another option for putting hair up is do a half-up, where you put half your hair into a bun of some description; then wrap the other half around the outside and secure. Try this one from Torrin,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

You might also be one of those people who has more luck with a Nautalis before the LWB. Give it a shot and see if you have any better luck.

Oo thanks I love video tutorials, the nautalis she did was pretty easy for me to manage and looks pretty, but the sticks never seem to hold in my hair that well, they just slip out so easily. I wonder if you can use a ficcare for it, because my fake ficcare is like the only thing that seems to hold in my hair for a long time.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Just here with sympathy. I have fine/straight hair. I clarify regularly. And my hair always tangles. I mean I have been doing a french braid for a ywar now yet no matter how much I try to make sure my sectiona arent tangled...they tangle ill try to braid and *snap* ive pulled a hair the magically appeared. I can comb my hair smooth. 10 minutes later I will have tangles. So I know what someone means when they say "It just tangles"

Oh I know right, well if I ever find a solution to the tangles I'll let you know. Maybe it's just how our hair is.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Your description of immediate poofyness makes me wonder if you have waiver hair than you think you do. Mine also tangles immediately. For the lumpy stuff, you may need to comb those sections as you start a bun to get them to lay flat. Sometimes detangling the length a little as you bun helps, though that shouldn't be too much of an issue at your length.

My main advice is to practice. I remember having tons of lumps and tangles when I first started wearing my hair up (college) but with practice I could convince the lumps to lay flat without combing them. Pick one thing to learn at a time. For example, learn the structure of a bun so that you can put it up quickly and comfortably. Once you have that mastered, figure out how to eliminate lumps. Then how to make the length sleek. It can be quite overwhelming learning to handle your hair AND fussing over a perfect presensation at the same time.

Ok, I'm glad to hear your hair was also lumpy when you first learning, that gives me some hope. Because literally everytime no matter how hard I try there's a lump. I guess I'll just keep practicing.
I don't know, it doesn't look wavy but it does hold waves well if I put them in my hair.
I am not good at detangling it while I'm trying to bun it, it just gets everywhere lol.

Decoy24601
January 10th, 2017, 11:55 AM

Since we're going to argue, the visual hair typing guide specifically states that it's more than 4" http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252, not that it really matters anyways.

Annalouise
January 10th, 2017, 11:58 AM
"Twisting" the hair is creating tangles for me. I thought the same thing as the other poster who suggested that maybe your hair is curlier than you think? Have you had your hair typed here on the forum? (You wash and air dry naturally (no brushing or combing or styling) and post a picture so we can see your hair in its natural state.)

To wear my hair up I only wrap it around the base, (as opposed to twisting it). :)

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 02:10 PM
"Twisting" the hair is creating tangles for me. I thought the same thing as the other poster who suggested that maybe your hair is curlier than you think? Have you had your hair typed here on the forum? (You wash and air dry naturally (no brushing or combing or styling) and post a picture so we can see your hair in its natural state.)

To wear my hair up I only wrap it around the base, (as opposed to twisting it). :)

The tangles happen even before I get to twisting it LoL, when I'm trying to gather the hair back. I'll get my mom to take a picture of my hair in its natural state when she comes over later. I'm guessing that means no leave in conditioner either.

Annalouise
January 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM
The tangles happen even before I get to twisting it LoL, when I'm trying to gather the hair back. I'll get my mom to take a picture of my hair in its natural state when she comes over later. I'm guessing that means no leave in conditioner either.

Yes, just wash it and condition it like you normally would, and then dry it with your towel or t-shirt to blot off the excess water, and then let it air dry. We just want to see how much curl comes out in its natural condition.:) Tangly hair can be difficult to manage. I sympathize.:D

lapushka
January 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Okay thanks, on me 34 inches falls to my lower back, I have 4 more inches to go until I hit hip length on me. What is it that makes it harder for shorter lengths to do loose buns? Just not enough hair to wrap around?

Yep, that, which means you will have to pull it tight to be able to go once around, which makes it almost inbunnable.

spidermom
January 10th, 2017, 04:19 PM
You're just low on the learning curve. I thought I'd never be able to get a bun that would hold and not pull, but I did, and once I got the "hang" of it, I could whip it up in less than 1 minute.

It sounds like you've got a lot of wavy and curly hairs mixed up with your straight hairs.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Yes, just wash it and condition it like you normally would, and then dry it with your towel or t-shirt to blot off the excess water, and then let it air dry. We just want to see how much curl comes out in its natural condition.:) Tangly hair can be difficult to manage. I sympathize.:D

This is a picture of my natural messy hair without being combed or anything, just washed and air dried: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1LFvxbLfHjOQmhrU0RMWEFXT3M
And this is a picture a few seconds later after I combed it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1LFvxbLfHjOenhYWGwzbS1DaVk

Sorry for the pic urls I can't figure out how to upload pics directly to here.

I guess it sort of does look kind of wavy when it's messy but I always thought that was just messiness and it straightens out really easily just being combed, but if I wanted to it does hold curls and waves really easily too

Aphra
January 10th, 2017, 06:16 PM
I'd say that's at least 1c. Mainly because it looks almost identical to mine! I have fewer problems with putting it up, probably because I have less of it, in both thickness and length, but I know what you mean about the tangling and pouf.

It looks lovely in both photos though - I'll be quite happy if mine looks like that at a longer length.

Chromis
January 10th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Looks nice! I think you should have enough length for the nautilus. Buns that do not require much twisting and manipulation will help with the tangles and doing them lower at the nape. I especially recommend the braided variation. You can secure it with a Ficcare, but I find it feels a bit awkward. Sticks and forks get locked into place nicely though in center-hold buns like this.

Although....now I am questioning if the bun I do really is one at all! I tried to find you a good video since not all YouTube is equal, but they all use a different hand positioning. I wrap once around my *left* hand to make the loop, then wind the hair around the base and pull the reserved loop over and they are doing some kind of hand change-over twist-flip thing.

CindyOfTheOaks
January 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Looks nice! I think you should have enough length for the nautilus. Buns that do not require much twisting and manipulation will help with the tangles and doing them lower at the nape. I especially recommend the braided variation. You can secure it with a Ficcare, but I find it feels a bit awkward. Sticks and forks get locked into place nicely though in center-hold buns like this.

Although....now I am questioning if the bun I do really is one at all! I tried to find you a good video since not all YouTube is equal, but they all use a different hand positioning. I wrap once around my *left* hand to make the loop, then wind the hair around the base and pull the reserved loop over and they are doing some kind of hand change-over twist-flip thing.

That sounds like what I do :)

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 07:08 PM
I'd say that's at least 1c. Mainly because it looks almost identical to mine! I have fewer problems with putting it up, probably because I have less of it, in both thickness and length, but I know what you mean about the tangling and pouf.

It looks lovely in both photos though - I'll be quite happy if mine looks like that at a longer length.

Thanks and if you know what i mean by the tangling and pouf then maybe we are hair twins, so that would make me a 1c. I guess I was wrong about most things, but a few hairdressers told me my hair was fine so I'm pretty sure that part is right lol

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Thank you, the braided one looks gorgeous, I'll be practicing that one in a bit, but I'm not entirely sure if I understand your directions, right now I'm watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHNTQs_lg4 And lower ones do seem to be easier for me.

Firsttimelength
January 10th, 2017, 11:38 PM
I'm wondering if your hair is wiry grey like I'm starting to have to deal with? The texture you are describing sounds like mine where it's beginning to grey. I have the same hair type but those wiry greys on top are a different texture unruly and not at all what I'm used to dealing with they won't sleek down like it used to some are really. Ugly saome stick straight makes styling a real challenge for me. That seems like it would make those young girls on YouTube have a much easier time doing those styles maybe try searching for videos with tips for your hair type also. My new grey hair about 75% on top is one of the reasons I came here for hair advice. I've always styled so easily but now it's like learning on someone else's head! lol actually not fun right now though til I get the hang of it too. I sure hope I don't offend you I noticed we are both older than many of the others responding here thought this might explain a bit of your challenge getting your hair to just behave!

Aphra
January 10th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Thanks and if you know what i mean by the tangling and pouf then maybe we are hair twins, so that would make me a 1c. I guess I was wrong about most things, but a few hairdressers told me my hair was fine so I'm pretty sure that part is right lol

Yep, I think we are hair twins - yours looks exactly like a longer version of mine. I was once told by a hairdresser that I have fine hair, but rather a lot of it, which, along with a bit of body wave and s waves is what causes the pouf, and the pouf is what causes the tangles. Although I have to say it has been behaving a lot better in the past few months with condition / wash / condition. I was in the hairdressers this morning, and I usually hate how I look in there (bright overhead lighting not a beauty aid), but it actually looked really quite nice with some wave and volume. However, even all conditioned and silky, combed straight with trimmed clean ends, I still can't run my fingers through it!

thunderseed
January 11th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I'm wondering if your hair is wiry grey like I'm starting to have to deal with? The texture you are describing sounds like mine where it's beginning to grey. I have the same hair type but those wiry greys on top are a different texture unruly and not at all what I'm used to dealing with they won't sleek down like it used to some are really. Ugly saome stick straight makes styling a real challenge for me. That seems like it would make those young girls on YouTube have a much easier time doing those styles maybe try searching for videos with tips for your hair type also. My new grey hair about 75% on top is one of the reasons I came here for hair advice. I've always styled so easily but now it's like learning on someone else's head! lol actually not fun right now though til I get the hang of it too. I sure hope I don't offend you I noticed we are both older than many of the others responding here thought this might explain a bit of your challenge getting your hair to just behave!

Can you please tell me where you noticed that I was old? :eek: I really hope it wasn't from my pictures...

thunderseed
January 11th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Yep, I think we are hair twins - yours looks exactly like a longer version of mine. I was once told by a hairdresser that I have fine hair, but rather a lot of it, which, along with a bit of body wave and s waves is what causes the pouf, and the pouf is what causes the tangles. Although I have to say it has been behaving a lot better in the past few months with condition / wash / condition. I was in the hairdressers this morning, and I usually hate how I look in there (bright overhead lighting not a beauty aid), but it actually looked really quite nice with some wave and volume. However, even all conditioned and silky, combed straight with trimmed clean ends, I still can't run my fingers through it!

Yay, well I'm glad I found someone with similar hair that you can't run your fingers through lol.
What length is your hair at now?

Aphra
January 11th, 2017, 06:34 AM
BSL. It was a little bit past in a slightly lopsided fashion, but after the trim, the ends now sit exactly level with the base of my bra band (which was accidental, but is strangely satisfying).

I'm aiming for waist or maybe hip. I think longer than that will start to annoy me, but BSL feels a bit too short.

thunderseed
January 11th, 2017, 06:44 AM
BSL. It was a little bit past in a slightly lopsided fashion, but after the trim, the ends now sit exactly level with the base of my bra band (which was accidental, but is strangely satisfying).

I'm aiming for waist or maybe hip. I think longer than that will start to annoy me, but BSL feels a bit too short.

Cool, so your hair is still pretty long at least in my definition of length, what hairstlyes work best for you?

I'm also aiming for hip length, maybe a tiny bit past that, and I also think any longer than that would irritate me. My hair is crazy enough lol.

Annalouise
January 11th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Hi Thunderseed ~ Thanks for your pictures, your hair is pretty! :) It looks like fine hair to me because of the halo. You have a LOT of fine hair too! And I think there is a fair amount of wave. I think you could be a 2a judging by the fact that you are not trying to bring out the wave and there is a fair amount of wave going on there. Either way, the fineness and the waviness is what makes it more prone to go into an interwoven cobweb of sorts. :D
Try the bun that Chromis recommended.:)

calmyogi
January 11th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I have no idea if this has been addressed yet because I don't have time atm to read every post. But, is it possible that you have any cowlick as well? My hair never just goes flat like he people in the videos either. I usually have to accept the bumps or do a lot of smoothing to get it lay flat. And even sometimes when I smooth it out I have this hair cleavage right on the side of my head.

lapushka
January 11th, 2017, 08:20 AM

That is 1c! The definition of it!

I think buns should start to be do-able at this length, at least a LWB should be (as this is a centerheld bun). I can do this bun at hip, with layers, mind you! A cinnamon bun might be a while off, as well as a Nautilus (I couldn't do that one at classic still).

Mrstran
January 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I haven't mastered all these skills myself, however I have learned how to do a few things with my hair.
The hair sticks took me days to learn! I was so excited when I finally put my hair up. It looked awful at first, but now it looks very nice as I've been doing it for a few months.

Use the advice these ladies give you here and practice practice practice. You'll be a master of your own hair in no time. :cheer:

Mrstran
January 11th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Might I add, I just had a thought! Have you tried to put your hair up in a tie first, lightly oil your pony tail, braid it, then wrap it into a bun?

That and perhaps a boar bristle brush to comb it up into the pony tail.

This brush works wonders for me. As for the knots, maybe a good detangling spray.

thunderseed
January 11th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I haven't mastered all these skills myself, however I have learned how to do a few things with my hair.
The hair sticks took me days to learn! I was so excited when I finally put my hair up. It looked awful at first, but now it looks very nice as I've been doing it for a few months.

Use the advise these ladies give you here and practice practice practice. You'll be a master of your own hair in no time. :cheer:

Yes thanks, I am happy to report that I am starting to get better at doing buns finally! I really appreciate all the tips and encouragement I've received here. It's still not picture worthy lol

Aphra
January 11th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Cool, so your hair is still pretty long at least in my definition of length, what hairstlyes work best for you?

I'm also aiming for hip length, maybe a tiny bit past that, and I also think any longer than that would irritate me. My hair is crazy enough lol.

Well, firstly, I have exactly the same problem as you with bumpiness if I'm doing a medium or high bun. It can be flat on top, or flat at the nape, but not both! Still working to resolve that one.

Most of the time at the moment I either do two english braids Wednesday Addams style (my favourite if I'm nowhere formal, as it has the convenience of up, but my scalp feels like it is down), or a single braid behind my left ear and draped over my shoulder. I have joint and muscle problems so can't easily braid behind my head or do anything that needs my arms holding up for any length of time. To get it out the way informally, I just clip the braid(s) up with a couple of claw clips.

If I need a smart bun, I currently do a pseudo-chinese thing, with a ponytail base as high as I can get it without lumps (tied with a soft elastic), then looped over a stick shoved between the ponytail and my scalp, and the ends wrapped round and pinned. For "proper" buns (i.e. no elastic) I can do a pencil bun at the nape with one stick, and a thing I don't know the name of where I gather it as an unsecured pony, twist it slightly, wrap a loop round two fingers, then wrap the ends round the pony base, split the loop in two to either side and shove the stick through. However, neither of the single stick buns hold well enough yet for use as wear rather than experiments. I'm going to invest in a fork to see if that helps, and also some spin pins.

MudderOfDragunz
January 12th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I have no idea if this has been addressed yet because I don't have time atm to read every post. But, is it possible that you have any cowlick as well? My hair never just goes flat like he people in the videos either. I usually have to accept the bumps or do a lot of smoothing to get it lay flat. And even sometimes when I smooth it out I have this hair cleavage right on the side of my head.

I think a cowlick might definitely play a factor - my sister has fine, thick hair and she also has a cowlick which makes updos a nightmare.

Have you tried putting your hair in a pony tail first and then twisting the pony tail? Because your hair is so thick and fine you will struggle with bumps and tangles far more than coarser type hairs. You might also try braiding it before putting it up, or even put it in a pony tail, braid the pony tail, then twist the braid into the updo.

For fine, thick hair I would recommend getting mini hair claws and using those to evenly disperse the weight of your hair through out the hair style, that might help with bumps manifesting themselves as well.

Cg
January 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM
I have joint and muscle problems so can't easily braid behind my head or do anything that needs my arms holding up for any length of time.

If your hair isn't very tangly you might manage a centered braid without stressing the arms like this: Make just a few crosses at the nape and pause. Then bend forward and rest your arms on a counter while continuing the braid upside down (crossing under rather than over so the pattern continues). Even if you have to wait and rest, your arms are supported while still holding the hair so it won't come undone. This method will spare you from having to hold your arms up for a long time. Also useful when accommodating a shoulder injury.

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2017, 04:20 AM
Can you make a braid down your back? If you can, gently fold the braid up and secure with a hair clip or a Flexi 8. Your hair is thick enough and long enough to do a mega donut bun. Very easy and hair friendly. Gather your hair into a pony. Put your hair through the hole in the donut. Arrange the hair over the donut and slip a bobble elastic over your hair. Gently gather the ends that are sticking out and roll under the donut. Apply U shaped hairpins to hold the donut down. If you want to fancy it up you can put a scrunchie around it.

Another updo is gather your hair at the nape and wrap around a few fingers. Remove your fingers and secure with a Ficcare.

To get rid of kinks, gently comb or brush them out after your hair is up. If that doesn't work can hold them down with small hairclips or fancy bobby pins.

Aphra
January 13th, 2017, 04:45 AM
If your hair isn't very tangly you might manage a centered braid without stressing the arms like this: Make just a few crosses at the nape and pause. Then bend forward and rest your arms on a counter while continuing the braid upside down (crossing under rather than over so the pattern continues). Even if you have to wait and rest, your arms are supported while still holding the hair so it won't come undone. This method will spare you from having to hold your arms up for a long time. Also useful when accommodating a shoulder injury.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.