PDA

View Full Version : The Post-Wash Poof!

pastina
January 7th, 2017, 09:44 PM
The only time my fine III hair actually *looks* like a III is when it's dry, post wash. This is because, regardless what I do or don't do, my hair is giant and poofy after it dries.

It hasn't seemed to matter what combination of shampoos and conditioners I use. If I air dry, it's wurly and poofy. If I blow dry on cool, it's straight-ish... but poofy! And the temporary massiveness is not helped by any oils or serums or leave-ins I've tried. It's like my whole head is a mess of wild itty-bitty spirals and waves fighting to come through.

For me, this is only an issue if I need to wash my hair and then be somewhere shortly thereafter. Because after a few hours, just as randomly as it came on, the poof goes away. My hair "deflates" and smooths itself, without my assistance. If I've air dried, I'll still have waves (and curls at my nape), but they're far more controlled-looking. And maybe the weirdest part of all-- no tangles. Like, actually none.

I'm assuming that this is all a function of my hair type?
Does anyone else have this happen?
....Should I be switching to curly girl? lol!

vampyyri
January 7th, 2017, 09:50 PM
This doesn't happen to me *scratches head* and we have nearly identical stats :lol:

I'm essentially on CG, with sulfate shampoo mixed in because the grease is real. But I use cone-free conditioners, and some leave-ins that help tame this. My hair used to get super 80s too :laugh:

pastina
January 7th, 2017, 10:05 PM
It for sure happened less when my hair was longer. I wonder if that's what's making the difference?

mizukitty
January 7th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Washing your hair forces it to absorb water (more so when it's compromised - chemically damaged, bleached, heat damage, sun damage, dry) which forces the cuticles to raise to accommodate it. When it eventually dries, most of that extra water evaporates, and your hair becomes smooth as the cuticles lay flat.

This happens to me all the time, and it's infuriating. The best thing to combat it in my experience, is oiling before you wash (coconut). This prevents your hair from taking on so much water, and it swells less, so the cuticles aren't so lifted. Mild or diluted shampoos can help with this as well.

Epie
January 7th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I have something similar happen. I have not dyed my hair in years or used hardcore hair products in a few months, so I do not get it. Luckily, however, my deep conditioner on Sundays and my hair oil on Wednesdays post wash have been helping with the poof. It is weird because I like you have fine hair but it appears to be only an ii thickness. It is not thin per say - but it is not really thick either. Yours is probably poofing more because you have thicker hair - more hair even though it is fine.

I would say give mizukitty's suggestion a try because ladies I have spoken to who have thicker hair - rather fine or coarse - find that doing a pre-shampoo treatment in the form of an oil helps.

pastina
January 7th, 2017, 10:39 PM
^^Heeeeeyyyy.... wait a minute, Mizukitty! Are you implying that my hair color isn't natural? :laugh:

...You mighta nailed the problem. I've been noticing this more the last few weeks, and I'm currently in a shampoo-out-my-color phase. It normally subsides much faster, but that's because I typically do scalp-only washes.

Coconut oil in these freezing temperatures scares me a little, though. The stuff gets crunchy. Or are you saying I should do it righttt before a wash?

littlestarface
January 7th, 2017, 10:50 PM
My hair doesn't do this tho I wish it did loool I could sure use all the poofiness!

pastina
January 7th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Ehhh, it's only very temporary, and IMO it's not a good look. Like, I found two pictures of my hair, one kafloooof and one not so you can see the difference.

First shot at using flickr instead of photobucket, forgive me if this doesn't work...

https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/642/31367579583_559f29215d_k.jpg

https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/525/31367577053_9976490e5b_z.jpg

mizukitty
January 7th, 2017, 11:11 PM
^^Heeeeeyyyy.... wait a minute, Mizukitty! Are you implying that my hair color isn't natural? :laugh:

...You mighta nailed the problem. I've been noticing this more the last few weeks, and I'm currently in a shampoo-out-my-color phase. It normally subsides much faster, but that's because I typically do scalp-only washes.

Coconut oil in these freezing temperatures scares me a little, though. The stuff gets crunchy. Or are you saying I should do it righttt before a wash?

I mean you wear it well so I wasn't sure :lol: But my hair does it too and it's not colored at all. It's just delicate and easy to screw with.. Since I experiment a lot, it gets very annoyed very frequently.

But olive could work as well, if you don't like coconut! About an hour works for me, longer is usually better. Ugh, but it doesn't completely rid it for me. I just oil it with jojoba when I start noticing the frizzies and help it dry as fast as I can without touching it. This includes head banging and blasting the ceiling fan :laugh:

Obsidian
January 7th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Mine does the same thing but much worse, probably because I'm curlier.
The only thing I've found that helps besides time is Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti‑Frizz Serum applied to dry hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 8th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Mine always poofs on day 1 as well, and is much smoother from then on. I have no idea why. I wish it could be poofy every day, as I prefer it like that. Does anyone know why it would do this on wash day? I have been wondering....

Pastina - your hair - so doggone stunning.... :thudpile: :crush:

Cannelle
January 8th, 2017, 02:08 AM
My hair does this too! The only way I've found to get rid of it is to comb it thoroughly after letting it air dry, apply some leave in and then twist it into a tight cinnamon bun. I can't blow dry it at all, otherwise I get extreme poof :D

lapushka
January 8th, 2017, 03:28 AM
The only time my fine III hair actually *looks* like a III is when it's dry, post wash. This is because, regardless what I do or don't do, my hair is giant and poofy after it dries.

It hasn't seemed to matter what combination of shampoos and conditioners I use. If I air dry, it's wurly and poofy. If I blow dry on cool, it's straight-ish... but poofy! And the temporary massiveness is not helped by any oils or serums or leave-ins I've tried. It's like my whole head is a mess of wild itty-bitty spirals and waves fighting to come through.

For me, this is only an issue if I need to wash my hair and then be somewhere shortly thereafter. Because after a few hours, just as randomly as it came on, the poof goes away. My hair "deflates" and smooths itself, without my assistance. If I've air dried, I'll still have waves (and curls at my nape), but they're far more controlled-looking. And maybe the weirdest part of all-- no tangles. Like, actually none.

I'm assuming that this is all a function of my hair type?
Does anyone else have this happen?
....Should I be switching to curly girl? lol!

Have you ever tried the LOC method after washing. It's a *particular* way of stacking your products so you lock in the moisture and prevent "poof" from happening. It works for me.

Coinsize of leave-in, coinsize of gel (or cream), coinsize of serum or oil.
(Spread through palms and all scrunched in.)

The gel is *key* for me!

Do use a gel without drying alcohols in it, like Eco Styler. Currently I'm using gels by Aldi & Lidl, because they're great and I looked at the ingredients, but Eco Styler is a good staple to have (I have both the olive oil version and argan oil version, but the olive oil version: finished a large tub of it: awesome).

LadyCelestina
January 8th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Have you ever tried the LOC method after washing. It's a *particular* way of stacking your products so you lock in the moisture and prevent "poof" from happening. It works for me.

The gel is *key* for me!

Do use a gel without drying alcohols in it, like Eco Styler. Currently I'm using gels by Aldi & Lidl, because they're great and I looked at the ingredients, but Eco Styler is a good staple to have (I have both the olive oil version and argan oil version, but the olive oil version: finished a large tub of it: awesome).

Which gel from Lidl are you using? Do you get any flaking from it at all?

lithostoic
January 8th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Mine does that too but I'm only 1c and ii so it's welcome c:

lapushka
January 8th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Which gel from Lidl are you using? Do you get any flaking from it at all?

No flaking! Neither from the Aldi one. I don't use that much, though, to get flaking in the first place. :shrug:

I use the one for men (which is in a gray tube). The women's one (white tube) is good too but it has a drying alcohol way down the list (which acts more as a preservative, I think). I like the men's version better. It does smell like aftershave, though. I reported extensively on it in the Aldi/Lidl thread, I think:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136548

This is the Lidl gel, what it looks like:
https://www.lidl.de/media/product/0/1/8/0/9/9/5/cien-men-haargel-extreme.jpg

And this is the Aldi gel, what it looks like:
http://nl.aldi.be/aldi_haargel_815_428_736_25863.html
(only the extra strong one is good though, the two others have denat. alcohol way up the ingredients' list)

vampyyri
January 8th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Now that i circle back to this thread, I didn't even think about the hair coloring, because it's just so... you :p but man does it look gorgeous :crush:

I would guess it's a high porosity thing at that point if you bleach your hair prior to dying it. I'm echoing LOC, it definitely tames my high porosity ends into submission. Perhaps a bit of a leave-in conditioner and a serum on top would help it not poof up. You could use a gel as well at the end like aloe vera to tame it down as well. I apply all of my "stuff" right out of the shower after I squeeze the excess water out so it applies much more evenly.

lapushka
January 8th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Now that i circle back to this thread, I didn't even think about the hair coloring, because it's just so... you :p but man does it look gorgeous :crush:

I would guess it's a high porosity thing at that point if you bleach your hair prior to dying it. I'm echoing LOC, it definitely tames my high porosity ends into submission. Perhaps a bit of a leave-in conditioner and a serum on top would help it not poof up. You could use a gel as well at the end like aloe vera to tame it down as well. I apply all of my "stuff" right out of the shower after I squeeze the excess water out so it applies much more evenly.

I think that might play a part in this...

LadyCelestina
January 8th, 2017, 07:57 AM
No flaking! Neither from the Aldi one. I don't use that much, though, to get flaking in the first place. :shrug:

I use the one for men (which is in a gray tube). The women's one (white tube) is good too but it has a drying alcohol way down the list (which acts more as a preservative, I think). I like the men's version better. It does smell like aftershave, though. I reported extensively on it in the Aldi/Lidl thread, I think:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136548

This is the Lidl gel, what it looks like:
https://www.lidl.de/media/product/0/1/8/0/9/9/5/cien-men-haargel-extreme.jpg

And this is the Aldi gel, what it looks like:
http://nl.aldi.be/aldi_haargel_815_428_736_25863.html
(only the extra strong one is good though, the two others have denat. alcohol way up the ingredients' list)

Aw too bad, I don't think we have that one here, or maybe I just didn't notice it? I will check when I go to Lidl next time, thanks!

lapushka
January 8th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Aw too bad, I don't think we have that one here, or maybe I just didn't notice it? I will check when I go to Lidl next time, thanks!

You're welcome. I only know for sure they have it in Belgium, and the page I linked the image to was from the German Lidl site.

pamrlyn
January 8th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Pastina - your hair is gorgeous! So brave with the brilliant color! I love it!

I love love love my post wash kaboom poof. It looks like I have a ton of hair, though only a ii with 3 inch ponytail. My volume is heavily influenced by the crazy curls, but whatever. My hair is never going to look sleek or neat, so just enjoying what I have.

LadyCelestina
January 8th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Oh and also, the post wash poof is basically static from your shampoo. I don't know the exact science but basically shampoo molecules have a charge which causes hair to poof up. I'll dig up the link to an actual explanation and post it, or somebody else might do so... Basically co-washing should solve it. Or gentler shampoo.

meteor
January 8th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I definitely experience the same, and I just accept it. It's partly from water absorbed by the hair, partly from the negative charge and hard water, partly from lack of oils smoothing down the hair...

Also, keep in mind that hair that accumulated some damage (e.g. bleached) will often respond with more poof to washing, because oxidizing hair increases porosity and causes the isoionic point to decrease, as oxidation changes the chemical composition of the surface of your hair (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html)
Drying hair with a blow-dryer on high/medium or flipping hair while drying makes the poofiness way worse compared to air-drying without touching it, in my experience.

Pre-poo oil soaks (to reduce absorption of water a tiny bit), oil rinses (oil applied between shampoo and conditioner), heavy conditioning and oils added to conditioner help reduce the poofiness a little bit. Drying hair in damp buns or braids helps contain the poofiness a tiny bit, too. But honestly, I don't fight it, since it goes away after a couple days anyway and I like the crazy volume.

It for sure happened less when my hair was longer. I wonder if that's what's making the difference?

Yes, I think extra length simply weighs down the hair a bit, so it hangs down more and "floats" and defies gravity less, so I think it helps, for sure. :agree:

My hair doesn't do this tho I wish it did loool I could sure use all the poofiness!

Have you tried skipping the pre-poo heavy oiling, littlestarface? It might help you get that poof. ;)
Also going for lighter conditioning and blow-drying or drying hair upside down might help.

littlestarface
January 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I definitely experience the same, and I just accept it. It's partly from water absorbed by the hair, partly from the negative charge and hard water, partly from lack of oils smoothing down the hair...

Also, keep in mind that hair that accumulated some damage (e.g. bleached) will often respond with more poof to washing, because oxidizing hair increases porosity and causes the isoionic point to decrease, as oxidation changes the chemical composition of the surface of your hair (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html)
Drying hair with a blow-dryer on high/medium or flipping hair while drying makes the poofiness way worse compared to air-drying without touching it, in my experience.

Pre-poo oil soaks (to reduce absorption of water a tiny bit), oil rinses (oil applied between shampoo and conditioner), heavy conditioning and oils added to conditioner help reduce the poofiness a little bit. Drying hair in damp buns or braids helps contain the poofiness a tiny bit, too. But honestly, I don't fight it, since it goes away after a couple days anyway and I like the crazy volume.

Yes, I think extra length simply weighs down the hair a bit, so it hangs down more and "floats" and defies gravity less, so I think it helps, for sure. :agree:

Have you tried skipping the pre-poo heavy oiling, littlestarface? It might help you get that poof. ;)
Also going for lighter conditioning and blow-drying or drying hair upside down might help.

AHHH I couldn't even think of doing something so evil and maniacal ! LOL

ephemeri
January 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I just want to say thank you to all the people who have explained this phenomenon, meteor, LadyCelestina, and mizukitty. I get this post-wash poofiness as well and am hoping that as my hair gets longer, it gets weighed down more and doesn't do this so much. I think I will also try a prepoo -- last time I did it I think I used too much because my hair ended up a bit too oily even after washing.

On non-wash days I still shower and I've been putting my hair in a top knot. But I noticed that even if I wake up with smooth hair in the morning (thank you buff and satin pillowcase!) after my shower, even if I didn't get my hair wet, it will be poofy.... I think just because of the exposure to the warm moisture in the air. This explains so much... I think I need to get a proper shower cap! :o

Seija
January 8th, 2017, 08:49 PM

The gel is *key* for me!

I just started using the LOC method about two weeks ago and my post shower poof is non existent now. I still have some harmful dye sitting around on my head and this was the key for me :)

mizukitty
January 8th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I just want to say thank you to all the people who have explained this phenomenon, meteor, LadyCelestina, and mizukitty. I get this post-wash poofiness as well and am hoping that as my hair gets longer, it gets weighed down more and doesn't do this so much. I think I will also try a prepoo -- last time I did it I think I used too much because my hair ended up a bit too oily even after washing.

On non-wash days I still shower and I've been putting my hair in a top knot. But I noticed that even if I wake up with smooth hair in the morning (thank you buff and satin pillowcase!) after my shower, even if I didn't get my hair wet, it will be poofy.... I think just because of the exposure to the warm moisture in the air. This explains so much... I think I need to get a proper shower cap! :o

You're most welcome :) :)

I find that cowashing reduces it maybe a little, but every time my hair gets wet it'll pretty much happen. The humidity in the shower is likely enough to get it going, especially if there is little sebum/oil to repel it. LOC should be really great for post wash since the oil/cream/gel occlusive layer you apply last will pretty much prevent too much moisture from harassing your hair. My hair gets weighed down kind of easily so I just slap oils on (strategically!)

Also, when my hair is like 95% dry and looks like a puffy disaster, I find that pulling it back in a loose, low ponytail for a while to continue drying smooths it out a lot. Maybe for an hour or so? Can't explain why, though! Less surface area exposure to atmosphere? Who knows.. I might have an answer after my semester is over :lol:

Frankenstein
January 8th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I get this too after every wash no matter what I do. It's why I love washing my hair at night since it's usually calmed down by morning.

pailin
January 8th, 2017, 10:26 PM
My hair does something similar. I've assumed it's a wavy thing though. It just gets kind of fluffy, but bunning for a while generally gets it under control.
But I can envy you the no-tangles- mine tangles pretty bad.

meteor
January 9th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Also, when my hair is like 95% dry and looks like a puffy disaster, I find that pulling it back in a loose, low ponytail for a while to continue drying smooths it out a lot. Maybe for an hour or so? Can't explain why, though! Less surface area exposure to atmosphere? Who knows.. I might have an answer after my semester is over :lol:

I think it's pretty much the same process as wet/damp-setting hair (e.g. in damp buns or in roller-sets, for example). Hydrogen bonds in hair are its weakest bonds that are easily broken by water or heat, and these bonds can be easily reformed by drying or cooling the hair in the new shape. (http://www.texascollaborative.org/hildasustaita/module%20files/topic3.htm)
By putting hair into a ponytail and letting it dry and sit in this shape for a while, you effectively smooth out the roots area, which helps de-puff the mane. :)

lapushka
January 9th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I just started using the LOC method about two weeks ago and my post shower poof is non existent now. I still have some harmful dye sitting around on my head and this was the key for me :)

That's awesome. :)

I have to say, I particularly am fond of my gel. I never thought that I would *ever* use gel on long hair; who'd have thought? But curly girl, and reading up on several methods, and there you go.

pastina
January 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Well now I have a few things to try! Thank you guys! I'll experiment and report back!

ameliasuzanne
January 9th, 2017, 06:23 PM
I was just thinking about starting a thread for this, because my hair does this inevitably as well! Usually lasts for the first whole day after washing, though. I like some of the ideas in this thread for addressing it, though, and I'll have to give those a try! When my hair is longer (SL or beyond) this doesn't bother me as much because it just looks voluminous and wavy, but in the short phases like where it's at right now... it looks like my head is twice its size from hair poof, and it buries my face in fluffy bangs :rolleyes:

Crystawni
January 9th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Good luck with your experiments, Pastina! All I can say is my loads of fine, virgin, non-porous, 2 abc hair that's washed (either CO or WCC, sometimes pre-oiled) in soft water here in a tropical climate does this all the time, too. So, um... I'm no help. It settles once it's fully dried, but maaaaaaaaan, the poof factor..! And if I try to damp bun, I struggle to get any hair toy in there.

pastina
January 11th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Approaching wash day, and I'm wondering... what about almond oil as a pre-wash oil?

Rowdy
January 11th, 2017, 09:55 PM
I love almond oil! It gives my very floaty hair some nice 'weight' to it, but at the same time it's not heavy. I would recommend it.

Epie
January 11th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Well, I tried co-wash today today and I finished it off with a Argan oil on the shafts and ends of my hair. All I can say is why have I not been replacing one of my two weekly washes with a co-wash longer?

The results so far have been quite nice! The post-wash floof is gone. My hair does not feel like straw anymore and it smells amazing. I think the key to the co-wash for some folks is using too heavy a conditioner and doing it too often. I will definitely have to shampoo this Sunday but I am going to try being gentler and try to find a way to keep the length of my hair away from the shampoo.

I will try this routine again next week and see how it goes.

pastina
January 13th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Hmmm... I pre-wash oiled, and my ends are now less poooofy, but my midlengths are giant. It's an odd look. lol

Eta-- I should mention, though, that my hair felt really, really nice as I rinsed!