PDA

View Full Version : Help! Red scalp; feels warm to touch.

rmani
January 7th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Hi there,

For about the last 6 weeks I've been experiencing scalp redness which is warm to touch. No flakes or scales. I have always had acne around my hairline but it seems exacerbated. Putting my hair up is becoming a challenge which is why I want to figure out what it is.

Hair is just above APL; no colour/perms/relaxing, no heat styling. Current routine is CWC with a sulphate shampoo and silicone free conditioner (Tressemme unDone). Wash every 2 days due to extreme greasiness if I don't. I do not apply any leave-ins. Clarify about 1xq2weeks.

Have been to the Dr and had labs sent - all are normal. Do not take any medications or vitamins.

Any advice on a) potential causes and b) potential treatments would be greatly appreciated :flower:

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 04:49 PM
For about the last 6 weeks I've been experiencing scalp redness which is warm to touch. No flakes or scales. I have always had acne around my hairline but it seems exacerbated. Putting my hair up is becoming a challenge which is why I want to figure out what it is.

Hair is just above APL; no colour/perms/relaxing, no heat styling. Current routine is CWC with a sulphate shampoo and silicone free conditioner (Tressemme unDone). Wash every 2 days due to extreme greasiness if I don't. I do not apply any leave-ins. Clarify about 1xq2weeks.

Have been to the Dr and had labs sent - all are normal. Do not take any medications or vitamins.

Any advice on a) potential causes and b) potential treatments would be greatly appreciated :flower:

What did the doctor say when s/he saw your scalp?

I'm at a loss here... honestly.

rmani
January 7th, 2017, 04:52 PM
What did the doctor say when s/he saw your scalp?

I'm at a loss here... honestly.

She thought it was a vitamin deficiency but seeing as that is ruled out I'm waiting to see a dermatologist. Referrals here take a long time so it could be another few months until I see them.

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Maybe try switching your sulfate shampoo out for a sulfate-free one. That would be my first guess. Sulfates are great, don't get me wrong, and it's my shampoo of choice as well, as I have SD and it keeps it at bay, but for some people it is just too harsh - that might be it. Would be great if it were that simple.

mizukitty
January 7th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Are you sure it is more warm than other parts in the area like your forehead? Warmth can be an indication of a rash or infection - but likely not the latter since the doctor didn't say anything about that. It could be contact dermatitis if you're allergic or being irritated to something you're using.. Try using a hypoallergenic shampoo and nothing else maybe? Something that is fragrance free, and as lapushka suggested, sulfate free? Does that area come into contact with anything else that you think could cause it? Like skin creams, moisturizers, cleansers.. Your pillowcase even!

rmani
January 7th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Maybe try switching your sulfate shampoo out for a sulfate-free one. That would be my first guess. Sulfates are great, don't get me wrong, and it's my shampoo of choice as well, as I have SD and it keeps it at bay, but for some people it is just too harsh - that might be it. Would be great if it were that simple.

Thanks Lapushka - I will try that first :flower:

rmani
January 7th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Are you sure it is more warm than other parts in the area like your forehead? Warmth can be an indication of a rash or infection - but likely not the latter since the doctor didn't say anything about that. It could be contact dermatitis if you're allergic or being irritated to something you're using.. Try using a hypoallergenic shampoo and nothing else maybe? Something that is fragrance free, and as lapushka suggested, sulfate free? Does that area come into contact with anything else that you think could cause it? Like skin creams, moisturizers, cleansers.. Your pillowcase even!

Thanks for the reply! :flower: It's the very top of my head. It is warmer than the other areas for sure. I am a nurse and was having my colleagues verify my findings at work last night because I thought I was going crazy! That part of my head doesn't come into contact with any other moisturizers or cleansers but I do use sensitive products on my skin (Aveeno Baby with colloid oatmeal) because my acne flairs up if I use anything else, even anti-acne products.

Bedsheets, including pillow, are washed very regularly (after a block of shifts). I am hyper paranoid about what bugs I could be bringing home from work and sharing with my DH shudder:

likelikepenny
January 7th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Do you put the conditioner on your scalp or length only? I used to CO and my scalp became itchy and irritated.

nekosan
January 7th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Sunburn, perhaps? I've sunburned the top of my head several times (I sunburn very quickly). I wear hats all the time when outdoors nowadays.

pamrlyn
January 7th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Hi there :waving:

- is your scalp sore, or itchy as well? Have you ever had eczema or psoriasis anywhere? I have heard of cellulitis occurring on the scalp - that would be very painful - like a large boil. a regular general practitioner can help you with any of that.

you might have developed a sensitivity to something. I would try to eliminate fragrance. Cleure, Paula's Choice, Real Purity, and Free & Clear are some fragrance free shampoos that we have had success with.

sumidha
January 7th, 2017, 07:35 PM
It's not common, but it is possible to develop a sensitivity to a product, or ingredient in a product that you've been using previously without a problem. I hope it gets resolved for you soon, that doesn't sound like fun at all. :(

rmani
January 8th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Do you put the conditioner on your scalp or length only? I used to CO and my scalp became itchy and irritated.

Lengthy only.

rmani
January 8th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Sunburn, perhaps? I've sunburned the top of my head several times (I sunburn very quickly). I wear hats all the time when outdoors nowadays.

I don't think it's a sunburn but maybe a sensitivity burn? It's Winter here (Canada) and I work straight nights so my sun exposure is limited. I always wear a hat because my hair is 75% grey and the sun changes the colour to off-white-yellow when exposed. Right now hat is necessary: -25 degrees C with the windchill :jestor:

rmani
January 8th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Hi there :waving:

- is your scalp sore, or itchy as well? Have you ever had eczema or psoriasis anywhere? I have heard of cellulitis occurring on the scalp - that would be very painful - like a large boil. a regular general practitioner can help you with any of that.

you might have developed a sensitivity to something. I would try to eliminate fragrance. Cleure, Paula's Choice, Real Purity, and Free & Clear are some fragrance free shampoos that we have had success with.

No itch, no boils, no eczema or psoriasis. Only acne which has persisted long into my adulthood.

rmani
January 8th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Update: I washed last night with a hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner (Down Under Naturals - Canadian brand). Scalp appears less inflamed. Will continue this for the next little while to monitor progression.

Thanks everyone for your help :joy: So thankful to be a part of this community!

rmani
January 8th, 2017, 03:34 AM
It's not common, but it is possible to develop a sensitivity to a product, or ingredient in a product that you've been using previously without a problem. I hope it gets resolved for you soon, that doesn't sound like fun at all. :(

No, not fun. Thanks for the suggestion. :flower:

lapushka
January 8th, 2017, 04:02 AM
I'm glad it looks (and probably feels) better. Keep us posted! :)

Annalouise
January 8th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I sort of have this problem. My scalp gets red and it feels warm, but it's not emitting heat. And my scalp feels very sore when the hair is moved.
This happens on day two of the washing cycle and the day of washing its fine. I use free & clear shampoo & conditioner. I did experiment with a few different hair products which may have triggered a sensitivity. My scalp was better when I was using a boar's bristle brush every second day and using the same products without experimenting.
I did read something once, I can't remember it exactly, but it had to do with thinning hair. Some sort of chemical is in the sebum which can trigger hair loss. That is why some people say if your hair is thinning you should wash daily. They say this because of the negative nature of the sebum on the scalp. I think this is why my scalp likes to be brushed with a boar's bristle brush is because it seems to take some of the sebum off the scalp which makes my scalp happier.:)

rmani
January 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I sort of have this problem. My scalp gets red and it feels warm, but it's not emitting heat. And my scalp feels very sore when the hair is moved.
This happens on day two of the washing cycle and the day of washing its fine. I use free & clear shampoo & conditioner. I did experiment with a few different hair products which may have triggered a sensitivity. My scalp was better when I was using a boar's bristle brush every second day and using the same products without experimenting.
I did read something once, I can't remember it exactly, but it had to do with thinning hair. Some sort of chemical is in the sebum which can trigger hair loss. That is why some people say if your hair is thinning you should wash daily. They say this because of the negative nature of the sebum on the scalp. I think this is why my scalp likes to be brushed with a boar's bristle brush is because it seems to take some of the sebum off the scalp which makes my scalp happier.:)

Interesting! I find using a BBB makes my hair feel like velcro, even with an expensive Mason Pearson.

So far I am having luck with the hypoallergenic routine. Using the shampoo and condish q2days. Still a bit red but no heat being emitted. Getting hair back into a braid is still slightly painful and tied a half up braid today with no pain while at work.

Thanks for the help!