PDA

View Full Version : Texture evolution?

SwanFeathers
January 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM
As a child I had pretty ugly, mousy, straight brown hair. As result when I was 18 I dyed my hair all kinds of colors. But after 4 years of that horribly damaging routine, I chopped it all off and started fresh. But my hair was a totally new creature by comparison. It was now dark and- surprise! Curly?!?
So my question is this: did your natural hair texture/color change since you were a kid?

MG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb408/SwanFeathers/20170107_171205_zpsxguphpho.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/SwanFeathers/media/20170107_171205_zpsxguphpho.jpg.html)[/IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb408/SwanFeathers/20170107_163153_zpsyvz0bsnq.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/SwanFeathers/media/20170107_163153_zpsyvz0bsnq.jpg.html)

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Yep, I went from 1b/c to 2b/c when I went through puberty. About the same as you! Hormones can do a number on you.

Welcome to the wavies & wurlies! :D :cheer:

Dark40
January 7th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Yep, from the day I was born I had curly hair, and as I got to be a toddler it grew thicker into more curlier hair, and then as I got older like 7 years of age that's when I started getting relaxers put onto my hair to straighten it. From then on I've been relaxed for 38 years now. But lately as I've been stretching my relaxers like up to either 12 weeks or 16 weeks the texture has started to change back it's natural curly or wavy state!!!!:-)

Deborah
January 7th, 2017, 05:41 PM
No, my hair has always been its same straight self.

nekosan
January 7th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Nope. When I was in my late teens I found the ponytail from the chop I got at 4, and my hair was exactly the same. (Same color, same texture, same strand thickness, same everything.)

Hairkay
January 7th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Well I was born with straight hair with just one curl. As I got older my hair began to curl. Then the curls got tighter. That's how it is in the family so it was not a surprise. Mother did find the one curl amusing. Big sis didn't even have that one curl at birth.

Ligeia Noire
January 7th, 2017, 06:11 PM
mine was curly, than straight, now half straight and half wurly.

Dark40
January 7th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Well I was born with straight hair with just one curl. As I got older my hair began to curl. Then the curls got tighter. That's how it is in the family so it was not a surprise. Mother did find the one curl amusing. Big sis didn't even have that one curl at birth.

Mine too! When I was born I had one curl at the top of my head, and as I grew into my toddler years that's why it got curlier and softer. Plus, the color started changing from cold black to sandy brown.

pamrlyn
January 7th, 2017, 06:22 PM
yes!

We have pictures of me as a toddler with very dark brown curly hair about 3B-ish. Later my hair became straighter & lighter - more like a light golden brown 1C. It stayed that way - until mayber age 45ish - when it started getting curlier - this continued for about 5 years - then started growing in straight again. Currently it is growing curlier. Not everywhere tho. and never have gotten back to that 3B - except maybe in the back where it's forming spirals about 1/2 inch diameter. The hair that isn't white, is very dark brown again.

trying to figure out what triggers my hair to go curly - because I want it to stay that way!

DizzyGinger
January 7th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Yes! My hair was very fine, little mass, and straight until 13-14, it started to thicken a little. By 17 I had extremely thick and wavy coarse hair. I'm 29 now and my hair is the curliest it has ever been and annoyingly thick. (Let's not mention the color, which was strawberry blonde then copper then went white in my early 20s! that's genetic on my dad's side)

Totty
January 8th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Stick straight till 11, went to wurly at least till 23, now a 3a curly

hayheadsbird
January 8th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Up to my early 30s I was 1a/b.
In the last 4/5 years a large section covering the back of my head has started coming through in waves, that'll brush out to straight if I manipulate it while drying, or wave back up really easily if I damp bun. I love the change in texture!

Arctic
January 8th, 2017, 05:33 AM
My hair was straight (1b-ish) and fine for 30 years, then it started to become partially coarser and wavier.

Johannah
January 8th, 2017, 05:50 AM
My hair went from 1b to 2a since I reached waist-length hair and when I started protein treatments. :)

lithostoic
January 8th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Mine has gotten coarser, thicker, and wavier.

Mightyfine
January 8th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I always say I had my dad's side hair type until I was 16 (pin straight and see-through thin) and then my mom's curly side started stubbornly pushing through with a little bit more thickness and waves. I remember being shocked the first time I spotted any sort of twirl.

Arctic
January 8th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Stick straight till 11, went to wurly at least till 23, now a 3a curly

You have a complete 180 degrees change!

zombienomph
January 8th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Oh yeah. Aside from getting a few shades darker (lvl 7 blonde, vs the lvl 9 or 10 from childhood), it was probably a 1b for most of my adolescent life. Then I went through a serious straightening phase as a teen and didn't see my natural texture at all til I was about 18. I actually had people ask if I started curling my hair, but nope, it must have just gradually gotten wavier and wavier over the years and I never noticed :p

Alexe
January 8th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Yes. Definitley yes.

As a child, I had thin, fine, very light blond hair. It was somewhat straight (as far as I can remember, maybe a little wurly here and there). As I aged, my color changed a lot and I am now a brown-ish color with red undertones in the sunlight. Also, as a teenager I had somewhat thick hair..and straight, but I always lowdried it, so I cannot really tell. And now I have medium hair, with thin strands in between I think, and a texture combination from 1a to 2a.

I always wonder how dark my hair will go before it turns grey/white, since I have really dark brown eyebrows/body hair.

Totty
January 8th, 2017, 10:29 AM
You have a complete 180 degrees change!

Best of both worlds :D. And I prefer curly

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 8th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Yes, my hair was pin straight until I hit puberty. Suddenly it turned into a frizzy mess, I started using hair straighteners and then the rest is history... lol

Hairkay
January 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Mine too! When I was born I had one curl at the top of my head, and as I grew into my toddler years that's why it got curlier and softer. Plus, the color started changing from cold black to sandy brown.

My one curl was hiding behind one ear :D

wo
January 8th, 2017, 03:05 PM
My hair went from 1a to 3b at the age of 10, which was puberty for me. Huge shocking change that took me years to figure out, living in a straight haired family. We had no clue what to do with curls. Haha! Now after three kids it's more like 3a. I have three little boys who all had baby ringlets but with short haircuts now, I can't tell if they'd still be curly.

Hay_jules
January 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM
My hair was 1b when I was young. In grade 6 I got a perm and somewhere in there puberty hit and after the perm was gone I was left with 2c/3a hair. Until dye and damage turned it into maybe 2a/2b. I can't wait what I'll have when I grow out this bleach.

enting
January 10th, 2017, 01:58 PM
When I was little my hair was straight, fine, thick, and blonde/dirty blonde. By 10 years old it was definitely some kind of 2 and mousy brown. By high school if I scrunched, it was in the 3s. It is slowly getting curlier, slightly thinner, and coarser.

ExpectoPatronum
January 10th, 2017, 09:16 PM
When I was younger, I had long, thick, 1c/2a golden brown hair.

I can't tell you anything about how it was naturally in my teens because I insisted on coloring it and straightening it every single day (EEK!).

Now, my hair is somewhere between a 2c and 3a, still pretty thick, and more ashy in color. The gold still comes through if I let it grow out enough. Unfortunately, I still color my hair on occasion so I haven't seen my whole head natural in a few years.

eladriel
January 11th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Mine went from 1a to 1c in my early teens which makes me very happy cause very straight hair doesn't look good on me. Also it changed colour from platinum blonde to blonette.

Alex Lou
January 11th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I had straight hair as a child. At 12 I started to get curls at my temples and had waves as a teenager. In my mid-20s I started having tightly curled and kinky strands interspersed among the wavies. Now I find that I have some pronounced waves at the back of my head and I'm beginning to suspect they are new since my pregnancy. My brother had the most radical transformation. He went from straight hair as a child to tightly curly/kinky.

spidermom
January 11th, 2017, 12:18 PM
I think my hair was probably about 1C from childhood through 30-something. Then it became more wavy, even a bit curly in my 50s, back to wavy now, although I find the occasional spiral curl right after washing.