PDA

View Full Version : Really want a pixie, but can i pull it off?

Dra_214
January 7th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Im 19, and For the past 5 months or so, I've been hyping myself to cut my once thick hair that was down to my lower back, really short after researching and thinking. So a little over a week ago I made an appointment for the first time at this new salon with great reviews on Yelp before the new year. The backstory with my super long hair is I was wearing it up either in a bun or ponytail because I, personally, did not like the way I looked as much with it down.I felt the most confident with my face being exposed. Plus I dont like my hair getting in the way, and I like the feeling of my neck and ears being exposed. I also didn't care to being using heat tools to style my hair. So when I went to the salon with this cut set in mind, the stylist (and owner), talked me out of it. He immediately said in his opinion, it's too drastic of a change in one visit, and even If i don't realize it, I'm going to hate it. Plus, he said pixies are a pain to style, and if i want something low maintenance, a pixie is not it. (honestly, i rather style really short hair, than longer that's flopping in my face). He then said while he loves doing short hair on women, and he's all for new, edgy styles, that my face shape (round face with pretty wide cheeks), won't look the best in it. He asked me if I just let him to what he wants and what he finds best, and I said yes , even though on the inside, I was disappointed.

Once He finished cutting and styling, I did like the way he did it at first, but it simply wasn't "me". LIke,he did a great good job, but it wasn't the cut I had set in mind when i first came in. My hair is currently right at the shoulder, and it's a bit longer than a bob, but too short to put in a bun , or if i put it in a ponytail, it will look weird (which is why if i went, short, it would be all the way) I wanted change and the feeling of a light head, but comments from other people telling me I would "look like a boy' or my "face would look fat" , or "hideous" discouraged me. I do want to go to a different salon and hopefully get a stylist who's excited to do a pixie on me and won't talk me out of it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOh1asZBxW2/?taken-by=dra_214 https://www.instagram.com/p/BOlHhG3hamH/?taken-by=dra_214 https://www.instagram.com/p/BNpp9SAhlVb/?taken-by=dra_214 My mentality was If i think i look good with my hair up, why wouldn't why with a pixie? I'm just thinking of the type of pixie I should go for. But yes, I have three images (hopefully they show through) to give you guys a better idea. One before i cut, after, and one with hair out of my face in a bun

Dra_214
January 7th, 2017, 07:31 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNpp9SAhlVb/?taken-by=dra_214

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN7qTmGhPcY/?taken-by=dra_214

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOh1asZBxW2/?taken-by=dra_214

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOlHhG3hamH/?taken-by=dra_214

I'm gonna try again. Here are the links

Obsidian
January 7th, 2017, 07:38 AM
You have beautiful eyes and great bone structure, I think a pixie would look fantastic on you.
Personally, I would walk out of any salon the second they start trying to talk me into doing what they want. They are there to provide a service for you, he should have given you the cut you wanted.
Looks like he did a nice job on your cut but I don't think it suites you, you face is too hidden.

ipickee
January 7th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Im 19, and For the past 5 months or so, I've been hyping myself to cut my once thick hair that was down to my lower back, really short after researching and thinking. So a little over a week ago I made an appointment for the first time at this new salon with great reviews on Yelp before the new year. The backstory with my super long hair is I was wearing it up either in a bun or ponytail because I, personally, did not like the way I looked as much with it down.I felt the most confident with my face being exposed. Plus I dont like my hair getting in the way, and I like the feeling of my neck and ears being exposed. I also didn't care to being using heat tools to style my hair. So when I went to the salon with this cut set in mind, the stylist (and owner), talked me out of it. He immediately said in his opinion, it's too drastic of a change in one visit, and even If i don't realize it, I'm going to hate it. Plus, he said pixies are a pain to style, and if i want something low maintenance, a pixie is not it. (honestly, i rather style really short hair, than longer that's flopping in my face). He then said while he loves doing short hair on women, and he's all for new, edgy styles, that my face shape (round face with pretty wide cheeks), won't look the best in it. He asked me if I just let him to what he wants and what he finds best, and I said yes , even though on the inside, I was disappointed.

Once He finished cutting and styling, I did like the way he did it at first, but it simply wasn't "me". LIke,he did a great good job, but it wasn't the cut I had set in mind when i first came in. My hair is currently right at the shoulder, and it's a bit longer than a bob, but too short to put in a bun , or if i put it in a ponytail, it will look weird (which is why if i went, short, it would be all the way) I wanted change and the feeling of a light head, but comments from other people telling me I would "look like a boy' or my "face would look fat" , or "hideous" discouraged me. I do want to go to a different salon and hopefully get a stylist who's excited to do a pixie on me and won't talk me out of it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOh1asZBxW2/?taken-by=dra_214 https://www.instagram.com/p/BOlHhG3hamH/?taken-by=dra_214 https://www.instagram.com/p/BNpp9SAhlVb/?taken-by=dra_214 My mentality was If i think i look good with my hair up, why wouldn't why with a pixie? I'm just thinking of the type of pixie I should go for. But yes, I have three images (hopefully they show through) to give you guys a better idea. One before i cut, after, and one with hair out of my face in a bun

You've have a beautiful face :). I had a pixie for several years, and it took two or three cuts to get it just how I wanted it. Mostly, because what I wanted evolved as I saw more versions of pixies. I stalked pinterest for a good month, and did a mix of a few pixies. Luckily, my stylist has know me for years, and is great at following directions. Look on pinterest, google, and any others that come to mind. Take your favorite items from different cuts, and take those pictures in. Luckily, hair's always growing :)

Angelica
January 7th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Really I don't understand all this wanting encouragement for cutting off hair. This is supposed to be a long hair community. Personally, I think you are super pretty and I love long hair which is why I am on here. Don't do it I say, but then if you are determined to do so anyway, you don't really have to ask the question :)

Obsidian
January 7th, 2017, 08:36 AM
It's not about encouragement to cut, it's about someone looking for opinions on a hair style.

Yes, this is a long hair forum but we believe that all hair is beautiful and you need to do what makes you happy. If cutting short makes someone happy, then go for it.

Dra_214, this is who you remind me of

http://www.pixie-cut.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Audrey-Hepburn-Gorgeous-Pixie.jpg

spidermom
January 7th, 2017, 09:10 AM
I've heard there's a pixie to suit every face shape. I like your new cut; it's similar to my new cut. Look around, find your pixie, print pictures, and go to a different stylist next time.

Kake
January 7th, 2017, 09:41 AM
You could definitely pull off a pixie IMO. I think it would look nice with long layers on top, as opposed to a short crop all over.
But I also like your pre and post cut hair.

LauraLongLocks
January 7th, 2017, 10:06 AM
If you go for the pixie, I'd do one that is a bit on the long side.

Like this: http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20-Long-Pixie-Hairstyles_7.jpg

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I kind of love the shoulder length cut on you. :o Sorry. I'm no help. :D

sumidha
January 7th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Yes you could totally pull off a pixie, I agree with LauraLongLocks and Kake, I think a little bit longer one would suit you well, with some layers on top. Sort of a pseudo 80's style retro thing? Plus you can always go super short later if you decide you want to.

Have you ever had very short hair before? I ask because it looks like you have some wave/wurl to your hair, and you may find that without the weight of longer hair, your short pixie hair will do some spectacularly weird swoopy poofy things, so I'd do some research before hand on styling products like pomade, gel or hair spray, so you're prepared to deal with the crazy floof, if it appears. :)

ReadingRenee
January 7th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I think you would look great with a pixie. I also agree that longer layers on top would probably look the best. Did you take in a picture of the cut that you wanted? I got the best pixie cut of my life when I did that. Also, I had a much rounder face when I was younger and I pulled off a pixie no problem. They key was just to have some volume up top, like more long layers. Whatever you decide, you have a beautiful face and beautiful hair so I think you will look great no matter what. :)

spidermom
January 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I put "pixie cut for round faces" into my search engine (Google) and found dozens of pictures. My hair is thick and wavy, and the pixie cut was the easiest style I've ever had. Just wash, run a dab of gel between and among fingers of both hands, then run fingers through hair. Good to go!

ephemeri
January 7th, 2017, 11:20 AM
you're going to look amazing with a pixie. get the cut YOU want, not what someone else wants.

Acid
January 7th, 2017, 11:25 AM
you have a great face for a pixie and your face is NOT too round or wide, i dont know what the silly hairdresser was talking about :rolleyes: i actually think youd look amazing with Ruby Rose's pixie https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/89/5d/f2895d1d53663f9576a2c0d17c54e979.jpg

whatever cut you have, you definitely wont look like a boy so ignore those other people, theyre most likely just jealous and trying to bring you down. If you want a pixie go for it! i know he was trying to help you out by leaving it a little longer incase you regretted it but he shouldnt have kept insisting on doing his own thing and refusing to do what you wanted at all

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
You should do what makes you happy. If long hair isn't for you, get the pixie. You'll have to try several different pixie cuts before you find the one that works for you. Trust me, I had 3 done before finally giving up lol

april17
January 7th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I think that hair stylists have to deal with a lot of flack? from people who insist on a drastic change and regret it right afterwards. (A lot of people would rather blame the stylist than take responsibility for their own decisions) So I can understand their reluctance--even though I don't find it very professional.

That said, it sounds like you are the kind of person who knows what she wants. I am sure there will be a few days when you miss longer hair, but so what? It grows back soon enough. There is something to be said about the journey toWard long hair--not just the end desired result. Personally, I find that having lived with my hair at different lengths and different colors has contributed to some of the self-knowledge I have now. You gain self confidence, and you learn more about your own preferences.

I think you have a great face, for any length hair. I think I would try to find a pixie style with longer layers as other people have said--I think that some strands reaching down in front of your ears would be a good way to balance your cheeks. I hope you find a wonderful hairstylist to help you with the cut you are looking for!

JadedByEntropy
January 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Oh wow! what a change that will be!

I have personal experience with pixies, also in my late teens, and that is really the ONLY time you can drastically change your hair and get away with it without being seen as having a midlife crisis or a 'bad breakup' or something...so if it does go really wrong-thats OKAY too! (while youre young and finding what works still) <3

The Britney Spears' bald/pixie "crisis" which only got the worst reviews, because even though she did really well with long hair, noone had noticed her eyes slope up in the middle rather than down [as do mine] and it makes us look really awful with short hair. The most comments I received were that i looked sad or upset even when i was smiling and happy ~.~ It has more to do with eye-shape than faceshape.

Many hairstyles look fine on most face shapes. So if you want it- do it.

After my admittedly bad pixie and instant regret, I figured out the formula that makes them work: The only women who universally do really well with pixie cuts are the hyper-'feminine' cateyed-angled eyes who also possess pixie/elf-like faces. Mostly people can get away with one of those features. Brianna Hildebrand does fine with a buzz because her eye angle is a fairly strong cateye. Snow White on Once Upon a Time has a more rounded face, and almost straight eye angle (the outer corners make a nearly straight line across the middle corners) and kinda sorta pulls it off half the time.

If you are willing (unlike I am) to do makeup regularly, it helps keep the 'girl' look rather than 'boy','trans', or 'wants to pick a fight' categories. If those opinions scare you, just know they still exist and have biological/instinctual foundations that aren't going anywhere even if society likes to think we're erasing them.

I researched all this after i got the pixie. Like you, my hair looks best pulled back and up, but its entirely different somehow because a short cut is also adding volume to the top. Make sure you like bangs, because all pixies end up having some form of them even accidentally.

If all that is still fine with you or you just want to try and see for yourself on yourself how it would work out then go for it. i'm not saying dont. DO! you probably could do it! its just the obvious risk if something goes unaccounted for, and it ends up awful, if you are confident you confidence doesn't come from your hair and/or looks.
I survived a horrendous pixie just fine because i'm good with whatever i happen to look like that day (no makeup - no nothing) and can tolerate the bad stuff.

turtlelover
January 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM
No help here. I don't like pixies. They don't look bad on everyone, but they aren't my cup on tea. You might get more encouragement at other hair forums not devoted to long hair. That being said, it is YOUR hair, so you should do what YOU love most.

Alex Lou
January 7th, 2017, 12:23 PM
You would look great with a pixie. I enjoyed having a pixie and it looked good. My only complaint was that I had to wet it down every day to get it to lay properly because I have coarse hair that would stick straight up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 7th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Oh wow! what a change that will be!

I have personal experience with pixies, also in my late teens, and that is really the ONLY time you can drastically change your hair and get away with it without being seen as having a midlife crisis or a 'bad breakup' or something...so if it does go really wrong-thats OKAY too! (while youre young and finding what works still) <3

Many hairstyles look fine on most face shapes. So if you want it- do it.

After my admittedly bad pixie and instant regret, I figured out the formula that makes them work: The only women who universally do really well with pixie cuts are the hyper-'feminine' cateyed-angled eyes who also possess pixie/elf-like faces. Mostly people can get away with one of those features. Brianna Hildebrand does fine with a buzz because her eye angle is a fairly strong cateye. Snow White on Once Upon a Time has a more rounded face, and almost straight eye angle (the outer corners make a nearly straight line across the middle corners) and kinda sorta pulls it off half the time.

If you are willing (unlike I am) to do makeup regularly, it helps keep the 'girl' look rather than 'boy','trans', or 'wants to pick a fight' categories. If those opinions scare you, just know they still exist and have biological/instinctual foundations that aren't going anywhere even if society likes to think we're erasing them.

I agree with your comment to an extent. I have been told that I fit into that category, but between several different kinds of pixie cuts, I found that it was less about how feminine and pixie like I looked -- and was more about how I felt that day. Angles help too.
I did get the lesbian comments from time to time, that I looked like a little emo boy. But thats societies problem, not mine. Im personally a little tired of hearing that pixie cuts = boyish, = gay / = trans, that you need to wear make up to make them work. Its a little old.

My pixie looks terrible here:
https://s6.postimg.org/cokcuj50x/IMG_0465_1.jpg
Looks ok here:
https://s6.postimg.org/gm7mjxru9/IMG_0831.jpg
(No make up)
And looks cuter here:
https://s6.postimg.org/spcy7i2wh/tumblr_ms9ho1_SSon1qbp72yo1_500.jpg
And my face looks more rounded in that photo.

Overall, its opinion based. What we say does not matter, do what makes you happy.
I like pixie cuts on me but found them to be more of an upkeep. I like to tie my hair up and I look cute with my hair up. But after 1-2 years of a pixie, it got boring very quickly.
I much prefer long hair on myself. And that MY opinion. :) Course I also really like looking like a mythic creature... lol
https://s6.postimg.org/xcnln0fn5/Photo_on_2_1_14_at_1_16_AM_2.jpg

Also: it really helps if you're good at make up.
I was about 18 in that photo, so my skills did improve but man my cat eye use to be horrible.

MissMB
January 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I am a little biased as I am also considering a pixie, but I think you would look fabulous! I think the most important thing to take into consideration is your hair's curl and texture. You will probably end up with something more on the "fluffy" side so I would look up styles based on curly/etc. Oh my gosh, I can picture it and you are rockin' it. Let us know what you decide!

turtlelover
January 7th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I think the most important thing for ANY style change is that is has to be what you REALLY want and not what someone talks you into. If you still need people to convince you one way or the other, maybe wait a bit longer to be sure, because growing out a pixie is NOT fun. Trust me on that. Been there, done that, have the T shirt! LOL

Aphra
January 7th, 2017, 09:18 PM
I got a pixie about 12 years ago, chopping up from somewhere around BSL/MBL (it was before I knew much about caring for long hair and I just got fed up with it). It wasn't the right style for me because I really don't have a face shape the suits a pixie - the best you can say about my "magnificent" (ahem) jaw and nose is at least I inherited both of them so they balance, but I didn't win in the cheek-bone / eye handout, so I can't own the striking Erin O'Connor look either. Basically, I look like my grandfather.

However, although it wasn't the right style for me, doing it was the right decision, because I got to try it out and learn from it. Growing it out also wasn't too bad - I only had about 6 months of the inbetweeny stage before it could be styled into a proper bob, and I just kept the back trimmed up so it grew down without too much mullet.

In your case, you have a lovely heart-shaped face and big eyes, and I suspect can pull off any hairstyle you fancy. You look fabulous with the shoulder length style, but if it doesn't feel right to you, then it doesn't. You are you, not a hairdresser's mannequin.

Seija
January 7th, 2017, 09:37 PM
As long as you're prepared for a long wait it you get bored and decide to grow it back. I think a pixie cut would suit your face, but I always prefer longer hair :)

stachelbeere
January 8th, 2017, 06:20 AM
love the shoulder length hair on you!!!

OhSuzi
January 8th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I have never had hair as extremely long as yours was but I did have it cut 1cm crop and bleached blonde from just past shoulder length and black. The hairdresser asked me what I wanted and I said confidently cut it all off! I want a complete change I'm totally alright with it i like to keep changing up my hair. They asked one more time just before the chop and I was like yep go for it and they did. I think hairdressers sometimes have to deal with people who ask for a hair chop and then cry or state that they look like a boy or argue it doesn't suit them - so I guess if there was even the slightest shred of uncertainty they might be reluctant to chop it.

Your guy should have given you a half way chop and then asked if you wanted to stop there or chop more.
However, Your hair is lovely. I think the hairdresser may not have given you what you wanted, but it looks like a really great cut.

I can see from the shape of the cut that a sort of chin length 20s bob n bangs could look cool on you too
Also your face does look nice with your hair up, you could probably get away with a really short crop or a buzz cut.

Great news is there are loads of different short pixie styles and it'll only take anywhere between 1 - 6 months most likely about 2 or 3 for your hair to grow back long enough to try a different pixie cut.
It's real quick and easy to style, it'll be in super healthy great condition, cause it's always made of fresh new hair that gets regular trims
You can dye or bleach it any colour whenever even if you totally frazzled your hair, 3 months later it'd be totally fixed again

Bad news is if you ever fancy it proper long it will take forever!!!!
Once you've chosen your pixie style for the next month or so your options are limited to wear it as is, or wear it as is but with an array of clips or head bands or hats, so you might get bored of the actual styling options.

I was mistaken for a boy on a couple of occasions most the time I thought it was funny. Although if I Ski I wear a helmet and then I look very boyish with no hair, I just wore sparkly eyeliner and lipstick to avoid confusion, although perhaps people were more confused - is that a boy with make up? and once I got asked by a stranger - before I chat you up can I check you're not a lesbian? But Perhaps that was just his line for every girl.

If you do decide to go for it get some pics up on here! I'd love to see it.

emptyque
January 9th, 2017, 07:32 AM
The hairstylist is wrong--I think pixies are easier to style than a bob. It really sucks that he gave you a length that is hard to pull back away from your face, but isn't short enough to be out of the way. Sounds like the worst of both worlds. I hope you find someone who gives you the cut you are looking for.

spidermom
January 9th, 2017, 07:57 AM
The hairstylist is wrong--I think pixies are easier to style than a bob. It really sucks that he gave you a length that is hard to pull back away from your face, but isn't short enough to be out of the way. Sounds like the worst of both worlds. I hope you find someone who gives you the cut you are looking for.

That length is great for bouncy ponytails.

Annalouise
January 9th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Wow, you cut off your beautiful hair. :( I think you should grow it back. :flower: