PDA

View Full Version : Oily Skin & Bangs - Can It Work?

MissMB
January 7th, 2017, 12:49 AM
Hello LCH, it's been a while.

It's that time of my life again when I am craving a change for my hair. I haven't told anyone yet (not even the boyfriend) but I am seriously considering getting a pixie cut with side swept bangs. I have had bangs twice before and I found them unmanageable. I had to wash them mid-day or they'd look like string beans. During my most recent attempt using dry shampoo did help, but they still didn't look great due to the strange texture and almost gray appearance from the dry shampoo (thanks Dove). I wear face powder and use oil blotting sheets but nothing seems to be able to stop this oil factory.

I want to try bangs again because I want to cover my uneven hairline and high forehead; plus I have a long face and large nose.

Any advice for me? I would appreciate any nuggets of wisdom or alternative suggestions - even the cold hard truth. Thanks.

What I'm dealing with:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/sailormercurypoop/unnamed_zpshmcox9ez.jpg

Haircut styles I'm leaning towards:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/sailormercurypoop/pixie%20ex_zps0cyx6qln.jpghttp://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/sailormercurypoop/pix2_zpsuhac0dlo.jpg

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 03:26 AM
How long is your hair now? Are you perhaps at an awkward stage and itching to just be rid of that? If so, try and find some more support on the shorties thread. They're there for you through this.

If it is something you've thought about for more than a few weeks (we go by the 2-week rule!) then it's hardly impulsive, and I say... well, go for it.

lithostoic
January 7th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Keep them pulled back whenever possible and you should be fine c: I used to be a daily shampooer during when I had bangs. My hair was pretty frickin oily and I managed bangs! I have a few tricks you're willing.

Also if you cut it like the bottom pic, you can cut and shape it into the first pic once it starts to grow out.

Obsidian
January 7th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I cut bangs not too long ago and as much as I like them, my oily skin is the main reason I'm growing them back out.

They stuck to my forehead within in a hour of washing/ drying so always looked gross. I had to wash them every day, no matter what.
Keeping my forehead powdered helped some, so did blotting every couple of hours but it turned into too much upkeep.

embee
January 7th, 2017, 06:41 AM
When I was younger I had bangs and oily skin, and yes, washing them several times a day was necessary or they looked, as you say, like string beans. My mom said "rat tails". Ick. I grew them out, got older, the oily skin went away. Probably could have them now, but no longer want them. Figures. I often wanted what I could not have, or what did not work for me! :D Good luck.

turtlelover
January 7th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Dry shampoo is the only thing that keeps my bangs from driving me mad. I have to use it even right after I wash my hair. I'm 41, but you'd never know it by the amount of oil I produce. On the other hand, I don't have wrinkles so it has its ups! LOL!

ladyfey
January 7th, 2017, 07:23 AM
I've been growing my hair from a chin-length bob, but I love those pictures and am now considering them!! I just don't know about affording the frequent cuts, which is the only reason I am growing out to begin with :)

Nique1202
January 7th, 2017, 08:02 AM
I worry because you say you've gone through the cycle of needing changes before, maybe multiple times. Are you sure you'd be happier with short hair? Especially if you've had problems with greasy bangs before, you'll end up having to wash your hair a lot more.

I know the feeling of having a very large forehead and while my skin isn't greasy, my hair gets pretty bad on its own. And eventually, while bangs can add a little extra something to a style and make my face look a little more proportional, they were just way too much work for me. I couldn't manage to wash them in the sink because I'm short, and dry shampoo doesn't do anything for my sebum. I also have a cowlick right up front so I'd have to blow-dry them into place, and my hair is just wavy enough when it's short that I had to straighten them every day or they'd start to curl at the bottom and separate and not look the way I liked them to.

If you want the cold hard truth, here it is: bad past experience with bangs means you'll probably have a bad experience again, and speaking from experience: a pixie cut is just like having bangs all over your head, in that sense. Before you make any drastic decisions, it's good to reflect on the last time you made similar decisions and think about how you feel about them. That's why lots of us recommend the two-week wait before you get any changes done.

Aunty Miki
January 7th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Could it be that you are over washing your face and bangs so that your skin is desperately trying to stay hydrated while you're stripping the nourishing oils away? Could your skin need retraining?

MissMB
January 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
So it sounds like bangs on oily skin don't work unless you are committed to a *lot* of upkeep and trouble.. and the idea of a pixie cut being like "bangs all over" terrifies me! On the other hand, how can guys have "pixie" hair and just roll out of bed looking great?

My hair is currently armpit length. I've had classic length hair before but I ended up cutting it due to scalp discomfort and boredom. I guess I'm trying to find the perfect haircut for me that is flattering to my features. My skin has always been oily, whether I wash it twice a day or once a day. My hair tends to look oily by day two but I can stretch it three days max by putting it up.

My long hair:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/sailormercurypoop/long_zpsv2ejagxh.jpg

My short hair a few years ago:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/sailormercurypoop/old_zpsbocuk1mx.jpg

I've been thinking about a hair change for a few months but I still am not 100% certain what would look best.

Nique1202
January 7th, 2017, 02:32 PM
So it sounds like bangs on oily skin don't work unless you are committed to a *lot* of upkeep and trouble.. and the idea of a pixie cut being like "bangs all over" terrifies me! On the other hand, how can guys have "pixie" hair and just roll out of bed looking great?

I can think of a few reasons:

-Clipper styles are more even and tidy than a pixie cut, which is usually done by hand with scissors or a razor and designed to be moussed or gelled into place rather than left fluffy
-Clipper styles are cheaper to get trimmed and clippers are pretty easy to use at home, so guys can get their haircuts touched up more often
-Their styles tend to be a lot shorter than the standard pixie. Some pixies run as short as 2 inches on top but 3-4 is more standard, but a lot of men's cuts stay under 1.5, so there's less styling to do from the start because there's only so much you can do at that length unless there's a cowlick to fix or you like to gel in a parting
-Shaggy/mullet-y hairstyles are seen as masculine anyway so if they let it go a little longer it's no big deal, it doesn't have to have every hair in a specific place to be considered "good" hair

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 02:44 PM
When I had my pixie... I had 3 cowlicks, 2 in the back, 1 in the front (at my parting). My hair stood upright every time I slept on it. I needed to wet it down every damn morning and blowdry it back into place due to those darn cowlicks.

Think hard before you decide. Maybe the 2-week rule is something you need?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

Deborah
January 7th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I don't think you need bangs at all. Your face looks beautiful with your long hair and no bangs. My opinion is stick with what works!

Nini
January 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Sure it can work, but by the sound of it you gotta be willing to make it work for you.

Washing your bangs multiple times, finding a dry shampoo solution that works out.

I always had bangs and had to talk myself into letting it grow out. Now I don't wanna go back at all:)

Prism
May 29th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Giving this a bump. I have extremely oily skin, a big forehead and have to wash my hair daily. When it's PMS time, my skin becomes so oily that even washing once a day isn't enough to keep the bangs from clumping due to an oily forehead. I've been trying to shampoo at night and air dry, but the next morning my hair is so oily that I am thinking of going back to showering in the morning. I've had issues with cystic acne, too, even getting that at the base of my skull. My forehead looks about the size of the OP.

OP, any update for us? What did you decide to do?

pandabarrier
May 29th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Giving this a bump. I have extremely oily skin, a big forehead and have to wash my hair daily. When it's PMS time, my skin becomes so oily that even washing once a day isn't enough to keep the bangs from clumping due to an oily forehead. I've been trying to shampoo at night and air dry, but the next morning my hair is so oily that I am thinking of going back to showering in the morning. I've had issues with cystic acne, too, even getting that at the base of my skull. My forehead looks about the size of the OP.

OP, any update for us? What did you decide to do?

You could try oil blotting sheets on your forehead throughout the day.

Prism
May 29th, 2017, 07:24 PM
You could try oil blotting sheets on your forehead throughout the day.

That's a good tip. I often carry them in my purse, but I forget to use them. I hope when I go through menopause that my skin will someday be just normal. I still get acne at 49 :(

MoonRabbit
June 1st, 2017, 10:26 AM
I have dry skin and have to use a moisturizer every day. Even with dry skin, back when I had bangs and was washing every day, my bangs would still get crazy greasy.