View Full Version : Honey Lightening Consistency

DizzyGinger
January 6th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I've been searching the numerous and long threads about honey lightening but there's one thing I still can't figure out...following the 4 to 1 ratio, I ended up with a completely liquid consistency. I have no idea how anyone applies this and keeps clean! I've tried spraying it on, applying with tint brush, etc., but it's exactly the same consistency as water. So it still drips down.

The only method I've found to work is putting the bowl of honey mixture in my tub, leaning over it, and dunking my hair in. I soak it for a while, use a small cup to completely soak my hair, and make sure it's totally worked through every bit. Then I twist it up into a bun. This is the only effective method I've found for applying it. But no matter what, it drips down. Maybe I'm wetting my hair too much beforehand? All the info says your hair must be soaking wet. So I feel like I can't ring out my hair at all afterwards.

I don't know what to do and frankly I cannot imagine how any of you are doing this without this problem. Please advise me! :)

lapushka
January 6th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I've been searching the numerous and long threads about honey lightening but there's one thing I still can't figure out...following the 4 to 1 ratio, I ended up with a completely liquid consistency. I have no idea how anyone applies this and keeps clean! I've tried spraying it on, applying with tint brush, etc., but it's exactly the same consistency as water. So it still drips down.

Maybe the recipe calls for raw honey? That is more of a solid form. I have no clue, I'm just thinking out loud.

DizzyGinger
January 6th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Maybe the recipe calls for raw honey? That is more of a solid form. I have no clue, I'm just thinking out loud.

I do make sure to use raw, local honey as that's what supposed to be best for this I believe. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil as is recommended as an additional option, in the hopes of it making more hefty, but no go!

I wonder if I could make pigtail braids in the tub after dipping my hair and then wrap it up...and perhaps it'd hold more of the mixture in? Hmm. Looking forward to more input!

littlestarface
January 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM
It's supposed to be very liquidy.

LadyCelestina
January 6th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Do you use hot water? As that could make the honey a bit liquidy. Other than that when I did honey lightening I think I just eyeballed the mix and put it on damp hair so it would apply better. It worked and lightened my hair a little bit. I don't know what exactly is raw honey :D I used local honey (don't know what type), as we have quite good quality honey sold here.

DizzyGinger
January 6th, 2017, 01:10 PM
It's supposed to be very liquidy.

Right but if so, how does anyone keep it on their hair, and not just have a shower of honey and water dripping down their face and body?

LadyCelestina, I use room temperature distilled water. How well did it stay on your hair when you did it? Could I be putting too much on? Was your hair soaked and if so, how did you contain it?

littlestarface
January 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Right but if so, how does anyone keep it on their hair, and not just have a shower of honey and water dripping down their face and body?

LadyCelestina, I use room temperature distilled water. How well did it stay on your hair when you did it? Could I be putting too much on? Was your hair soaked and if so, how did you contain it?

When I did it I just kept my hair in the bowl of honey cuz it's gonna drip regardless. Just put a towel around your neck and wipe it.

DizzyGinger
January 6th, 2017, 01:24 PM
When I did it I just kept my hair in the bowl of honey cuz it's gonna drip regardless. Just put a towel around your neck and wipe it.

You kept your head in the bowl the whole hour?! Or a shorter time? lol

meteor
January 6th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it's completely liquid and drips a lot. And it doesn't matter if the honey is hard (crystallized) or not, since it will dissolve in water after a while. I just used plastic wraps and replaced a few towels as it kept dripping and also, only did this in summertime, when it was less annoying to deal with the wetness. (I'm way too lazy for this stuff now, adding some honey to conditioner is as far as I'll go.) I think some people just spray it on dry hair, but you still have to saturate the hair.

lazuliblue
January 6th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I used to put my hair into two ponytails, wrap cling film (saran wrap in US?) around it and then secure it with hair ties - that way it won't drip.

DizzyGinger
January 6th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I used to put my hair into two ponytails, wrap cling film (saran wrap in US?) around it and then secure it with hair ties - that way it won't drip.

This is what I decided to do! Two braided pigtails, lots of saran wrap, secured mine with a clip. I've got a junk shirt wrapped around my neck and tissues for wiping!

littlestarface
January 6th, 2017, 02:05 PM
You kept your head in the bowl the whole hour?! Or a shorter time? lol

Yeah it was a pain but it was in the summer and I put on a movie, so not too bad I guess it was better than having super drips all over my back and face thats for sure.

meteor
January 6th, 2017, 02:10 PM

That's pretty cool actually. I know a few people used a similar method for achieving drip-free, fuss-free henna ombre, too. :)

LadyCelestina
January 6th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I don't want to mislead you since it was a really long time ago, but I don't remember having my hair completely saturated with water. I might have had a couple drips but nothing too crazy. I put my hair up and let it be I think, these days I would put it in a plastic bag and towel/t-shirt, like you would a DT or henna.