PDA

View Full Version : One month on LHC, thank you all so much! (PICS)

cgirl
January 4th, 2017, 10:09 PM
So it's been about a month since I found this forum and I thought I would share my progress. I got a damaging straight perm on Oct. 6 which I neither wanted nor needed, but the stylist was in an erratic mental state (he even told me he'd just been in the "crazy hospital" (his words) after the chemicals were on my head) and I was a deer in the headlights.

I spent October and November feeling depressed and just hoping it would just get better on its own. It didn't so I started doing research on how to fix my hair in mid-November and joined LHC in early December.

So here's a picture from Dec 1. My ends were all splitting and squiggly and although I was trying to smile and be positive, I felt just horrible: :wail:

http://i.imgur.com/UoQummN.jpg

Here's a close-up of what my ends looked like. Total nightmare. I've since S&D'd all this out.

http://i.imgur.com/RQBrTfz.jpg

Here's a week later on Dec 7 after trying out the LOC method, but accidentally using too much O and C. I was still pretty stressed out about my hair as you may be able to tell from my expression and acne (I always breakout when I'm stressed-out):

http://i.imgur.com/Jpq6gx2.jpg

Here's about another week on Dec 16. Things are starting to improve, but I feel like my hair looks dry and oily at the same time: :justy:

http://i.imgur.com/VJ4Dva9.jpg

Finally, here is a picture from today, January 4. After one month of once-a-week conditioner-only washing, using much less oil and conditioner, and trying to wear it up most of the time, I am beginning to look like my old self again. I did try the onion thing once over the holidays. I liked the smell; the smell stuck for about 2 days; I do think it helped a lot, but that's just me. Also, the last time I washed a week ago, prior to washing, I put conditioner on my hair and left the conditioner in for a whole day before washing it out. I think that helped a lot too.

I know it's not perfect, but it's beginning to look a lot better::happydance:

http://i.imgur.com/zKkKIPf.jpg

I also mixed monistat, a few drops of tea tree, rosemary, and ylang ylang oil, and mostly water in a spray bottle which I spray with the direct stream on my scalp when it starts to itch between washes and that seems to calm it down. I also switched to a satin pillow case and now I don't brush till it's dry (even then I've cut my brushing way down).

You can see the demarcation line where the light reflects differently off the hair, but I'm ok with that it makes it easy to track the growth and it's so reassuring to know that my hair is still growing.

http://i.imgur.com/bgWdDbV.jpg

All the information I needed to turn my hair around I learned from hours and hours of reading through the posts and archives here at LHC. I am so incredibly grateful for the wonderful advice and just how kind and supportive everyone has been. I'm actually getting a little emotional as I type this. Thank you all so much.:flower:

pili
January 4th, 2017, 10:30 PM
He was in the "crazy hospital"? :shudder:

I'm already scared of hair stylists, I just can't imagine how horrifying that is.

That said, yay for progress! I'm glad your first month here has proved beneficial.

Aunty Miki
January 4th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I'm so glad you are able to move forward with your hair. I read some time ago that another person said the same thing about her stylist just getting out of the funny farm. Probably, the same lunatic that did your hair.

cgirl
January 4th, 2017, 10:51 PM
He was in the "crazy hospital"? :shudder:

I'm already scared of hair stylists, I just can't imagine how horrifying that is.

That said, yay for progress! I'm glad your first month here has proved beneficial.

I actually laughed at first because I thought he was joking and then he snapped "it's not funny," and went on to tell me it was because there was a "misunderstanding" with his aunt and now he has to find an apartment but they are really expensive. I felt like such a sucker and I just... went numb. That's why I was so afraid that there was permanent follicle damage because I just don't know where he his head was.

cassidy_2711
January 4th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Your hair looks so thick and beautiful!

cgirl
January 4th, 2017, 11:00 PM
I'm so glad you are able to move forward with your hair. I read some time ago that another person said the same thing about her stylist just getting out of the funny farm. Probably, the same lunatic that did your hair.

It's in West LA. I'm not sure if, as a warning to others, I'm allowed to say who it was on the forum? The best advice is really just never go to the salon in the first place then you won't run into him.

cgirl
January 4th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Your hair looks so thick and beautiful!

cassidy_2711, thank you! :flower: I had a bad shed after the chemicals and I was terrified that it would never grow back. Seriously, LHC is incredible. I've learned more about hair care in the past month than in my whole life.

hypersensitive
January 4th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Congrats! Think if how much MORE better it can get after a year!

What's the onion thing?

pili
January 5th, 2017, 12:11 AM

What's the ownion thing?

Yeah, that's a new one for me.

emptyque
January 5th, 2017, 07:14 AM
You have beautiful hair. I hope your ends recover!

TatsuOni
January 5th, 2017, 07:57 AM
That's great progress in just one month! :)

lapushka
January 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM
It looks great. If your scalp is protesting though, think about the methods you are using. Happy hair = happy scalp = good growth. So keep your scalp happy as much as you can, either by washing more, or by switching out the CO-washing for a little harsher cleanser. Maybe try CWC, with diluted shampoo? spidermom, I think uses that method.

lithostoic
January 5th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Yay! Glad to see the progress. You have lovely hair. And I agree with Lapushka, listen to your scalp!

cgirl
January 5th, 2017, 12:50 PM

What's the onion thing?

Yeah, that's a new one for me.

Here's a link to one of the threads on using onion juice: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61253

I tried it because we were roasting onions for Christmas so I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference if I smelled like it or not, and I think my scalp really like the sulfur.

cgirl
January 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM
It looks great. If your scalp is protesting though, think about the methods you are using. Happy hair = happy scalp = good growth. So keep your scalp happy as much as you can, either by washing more, or by switching out the CO-washing for a little harsher cleanser. Maybe try CWC, with diluted shampoo? spidermom, I think uses that method.

I think you are right. My scalp seems to like being moist, but my hair hates getting wet. The spray bottle seems to work to keep my scalp moist and my hair dry. I am going to take you up on your suggestion to try CWC with diluted shampoo next time I wash, which will be today or tomorrow.

cgirl
January 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
You have beautiful hair. I hope your ends recover!

I had to cut off most of the split and squiggly ends. I'm still finding a few, and since the perm, some of my hairs, especially in front, are squiggly like that all the way up, so I'm just letting those grow out.

JillRenee
January 5th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Sorry that happened to you, cgirl. It sounds like a scene from a scary movie. Your hair is beautiful, and soon your ends will recover.

Mightyfine
January 5th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I'm so glad you are finding a happy hair place again! There really is so much information here. It's overwhelming, in a good way!
And your hair looks gorgeous-it's really responding.

Kassie
January 5th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Your hair looks great! You look like you have a lot of volume too! Hair stylist can be so scary. I went to one before and I told them that I wanted my hair cut to about 1 inch below my shoulders (had a whole bunch of damage) and she ended up cutting my hair almost mid-neck with a bunch of layers! I was horrified. Now I only go to a hair stylist that a bunch of people recommended to me. I am glad you are reclaiming your hair. Keep it up! :D