PDA

View Full Version : Are Ball Tipped Plastic Brushes Bad For Hair?

Aunty Miki
January 4th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I am careful when using it, but I heard they are bad. I need the stiffness that BBB can't give because of super thick and course WL hair. Are there any stiff widely spaced pin brushes out there without balls?

dvep
January 4th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I don't have good memories with ball tipped brushes, lots of ripping through tangles and knits, but that's just my own experience. My hair can be pretty coarse, too. The best brush for me is made by a company called Acca Kappa. The pins are wood, very thick and sturdy, and widely spaced. It's not cheap but ice had mine for years and in my opinion it's worth it! Best brush I've ever used.

On the other hand, if ball tipped brushes don't hurt your hair then keep using them. We all experience different things!

Decoy24601
January 4th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I personally have much less damage since switching from a ball tipped brush to a seamless comb, and now Tangle Teezer.

If you want something with long, widely spaced spins, maybe try looking into wood bristle brushes like this?: https://www.widu.com/category/1./Wooden-Bristle-Brushes.html

Mrstran
January 4th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I've heard that your hair can catch on the round tips, making it prone to breaking. Getting a one piece cut out/molded comb or works great to prevent snagging.

Aunty Miki
January 4th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I personally have much less damage since switching from a ball tipped brush to a seamless comb, and now Tangle Teezer.

If you want something with long, widely spaced spins, maybe try looking into wood bristle brushes like this?: https://www.widu.com/category/1./Wooden-Bristle-Brushes.html

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for😍

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 4th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I see a big difference in using a tangle teezer! I hate regular brushes now. Ball tips hurt my head.

Nique1202
January 4th, 2017, 01:01 PM
It depends on what you're using it for. Brushes aren't good for detangling because they rip through tangles, there's no feedback for you to stop and take apart a bad one on your own to avoid broken hairs. A wide-toothed comb or a Tangle Teezer should be your detangling step. But, as a smoothing tool or a scalp massage method, if you've already gotten rid of tangles, a brush is probably not that much more harmful than any other method.

embee
January 4th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Personally, I like Denman brushes.