PDA

View Full Version : Awesome midlength end-trimming technique

gallows_gallery
October 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Once when I was about 16 I got my hair cut at a really expensive Melbourne city hairdresser (my rich grandmother was paying) My hair was relatively long then, probably midback, and I remembered an awesome technique he used for trimming the ends off all the different lengths of hair.

He took small chunks and twisted them until they were well-rolled (about as thick as your middle finger?) then he scruffed them up just a little so the ends would poke out, and ran the scissors, flat side down, up the rope, trimming about 5mm off all the ends poking out.

I did it to myself the other day and it worked SO well. I managed to nip the ends off all those millions of bothersome little hairs all over the lengths of my hair. Luckily I wasn't clumsy enough to snip off a chunk!

Thought I'd share :)

embee
October 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
That's cool. I've not trimmed in years and don't plan to but it's good to know there's a method that is not going to give a blunt cut. I love my fairytale ends, they make it possible for me to wear updo styles.

Áine
October 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Once when I was about 16 I got my hair cut at a really expensive Melbourne city hairdresser (my rich grandmother was paying) My hair was relatively long then, probably midback, and I remembered an awesome technique he used for trimming the ends off all the different lengths of hair.

He took small chunks and twisted them until they were well-rolled (about as thick as your middle finger?) then he scruffed them up just a little so the ends would poke out, and ran the scissors, flat side down, up the rope, trimming about 5mm off all the ends poking out.

I did it to myself the other day and it worked SO well. I managed to nip the ends off all those millions of bothersome little hairs all over the lengths of my hair. Luckily I wasn't clumsy enough to snip off a chunk!

Thought I'd share :)

How neat! I have never heard of that technique before. Sounds very innovative and effective.

Krifantasy
October 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I do this to cut my split-ends. With my curly hair, split-ends can be very hard to find and this makes them just pop out.

Ohio Sky
October 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
What a good idea. Hmm, may have to try that.

littlemiss
October 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I do this to get rid of my split ends too!! works well

spidermom
October 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I ran into this method quite a long while ago. Unfortunately, it doesn't make my split ends pop out, as they tend to be more grabby and hide themselves into the rest of my hair. They're pretty easy to spot in braids, though.

gdimoonbeam
October 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
The technique is called Dusting. George Michael affiliate salons use it. They are few and far between but if you near Columbus, OH one is in the city, one is near Cleveland and the last one I know of is the original in New York. All of them can be found by looking up George Michael long hair.

Arctic_Mama
October 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Yup, this is how I find splits in my layers and up my length. It works REALLY well!

XtinaXposed
October 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
thanks for sharing, but thats the "normal" split end cut which is used in nearly every salon here in germany and which is known by everyone here. but maybe its not that known in australia or so. i dont like the technique very much as i think it stops the hair of becoming one length, but it is great against split ends, thats right.