PDA

View Full Version : It's 2017: hair brushes are now "smart", and other hi-tech hair wonders

wendyg
January 4th, 2017, 10:38 AM
The Register has a piece today from the Consumer Electronics Show describing the Kerastase Hair Coach, a wifi-enabled hair brush that lets you know if you're brushing too hard, counts strokes, and collects data about your hair and the environment: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/04/iot_ces_smart_hairbrush/

wg

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 11:00 AM
That thing doesn't look hair friendly. I think that I will keep my BBB and wooden comb :p

But wow! Everything really has to be tecnological today :p

Annalouise
January 4th, 2017, 11:08 AM
What's the downside? It gives you brain cancer. :p ;)

Anje
January 4th, 2017, 11:30 AM
$200 for a bossy brush? That needs to be charged? Yeah, I'll pass on that.

(ETA: I will say that slowing down for brushing and combing made a world of difference for me. But I don't think I'd want to be limited to a specific might-not-work-for-me tool to remind me of that. Even if I was cool with spending that kind of money on a brush.)

dvep
January 4th, 2017, 11:53 AM
That's hilarious. I see we're moving into the age of not being able to do anythibg unless an app tells us it's okay. I'm such an old fashioned millennial...

My issue with anything too techie is that it inevitably breaks down and/or needs to be constantly upgraded. I like my good ol' wooden brush and a little self reliance on the side.

DweamGoiL
January 4th, 2017, 12:23 PM
I have a smart toothbrush and scale, and an activity tracker. At times, it comes in handy to see actual performance stats and to have reminder of things. I am not saying that I am going to run and buy this product, but the technology certainly has its uses. If they are going to want to corner the market with this, the brush will need to be more customizable in terms of bristle type, handle shape, etc.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 4th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Rich people things lol

meteor
January 4th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Hmm, interesting. :) Honestly, I don't think I like the structure and density of the bristles. So what if it's "smart" if the actual surface of the brush isn't all that great for hair mechanically?

Now, if that tracker of combing force, number of strokes, humidity, wind, UV light, etc... was actually attachable to other types of brushes or combs of your choice, I think I'd find it really compelling, if it was priced reasonably. (I think the very concept and the level of data collection could be quite useful if you want to track if a certain way of using a detangling tool is causing more split ends or breakage, for example. :hmm:)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 05:46 PM
At that price let's hope it's self-cleaning :laugh:

iYaap
January 5th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Hi longhairs,

Yesterday I found out L'oréal is selling a smart brush. It has sensors in its bristles, a microphone and phone app. The idea is, I think, that it can tell you when you are using the right products.
Read the full story here: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/loreals-smart-brush-listens-to-hair-recommends-luxury-treatments.html
Could we use this for testing different shampoo lines?

Regards
Jaap

lapushka
January 5th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I think there's a thread on this "innovative" stuff here already. ;) Lemme see if I can find it for you.
Yep, here you go!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141158

Zebra Fish
January 5th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Don't like the looks of it and the price is way to high. I'd be curious to see how it works and the data it collects. But I don't use brushes. Quoting from the text (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/loreals-smart-brush-listens-to-hair-recommends-luxury-treatments.html): "It will then provide hair tips and recommend L'Oreal's Kérastase products.". Anyway, if it would be on a widetooth comb, I'd be more interested in the raw data, and not a product recommendation.

cgirl
January 5th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Hi longhairs,

Yesterday I found out L'oréal is selling a smart brush. It has sensors in its bristles, a microphone and phone app. The idea is, I think, that it can tell you when you are using the right products.
Read the full story here: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/loreals-smart-brush-listens-to-hair-recommends-luxury-treatments.html
Could we use this for testing different shampoo lines?

Regards
Jaap

The microphone is kind of weird. I am guessing that the microphone is so the brush is like a phone that you can talk into and not a way for the brush company to spy on you by bugging your house? :couch:

hayheadsbird
January 5th, 2017, 05:25 PM
The microphone is kind of weird. I am guessing that the microphone is so the brush is like a phone that you can talk into and not a way for the brush company to spy on you by bugging your house? :couch:
I got the impression it was do it could listen to the hairs breaks and tell you to slow down!

Strands
January 5th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Um no way would i buy that.

EdG
January 5th, 2017, 05:46 PM
We're going to see a lot of "smart" gadgets as the cost of Internet-connected computers continues to decrease. My guess is that only 5-10% of these make sense - i.e. the Internet-connected computer needs to do something useful enough to warrant having one.
Ed

vampyyri
January 5th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Oh *drat* I only finger comb... shucks. :lol:

TatsuOni
January 6th, 2017, 03:53 AM

Maybe they should invent "brushing gloves" with an usb cabel :laugh:

Johannah
January 6th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Lol, that price. :lol:

Mimha
January 6th, 2017, 05:08 AM
The Register has a piece today from the Consumer Electronics Show describing the Kerastase Hair Coach, a wifi-enabled hair brush that lets you know if you're brushing too hard, counts strokes, and collects data about your hair and the environment: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/04/iot_ces_smart_hairbrush/

wg

Hi wg. First of all, I have not even looked at this add. Just reading the tite made me mad. How can anyone pretend they have environemental concerns and produce the less necessary tool ever, just to pile up on the waste mountain a few weeks after ?? Do some people really NEED to have a Wi-Fi tool to brush their f*** hair ???

Lol. Sorry for the rant, wg^^, but you know... this just shows how far the consumer society can go to make money out of totally useless stuff presented as the utmost desirable ultimate technology. But the worse thing is that they do find customers !!... If women are so keen on improving their hair AND the environment, what they should do in the first pace is REDUCE the number of useless stuff and products they use, not buy the next super fashion bull:poop:

Mimha
January 6th, 2017, 05:17 AM

:bigeyes: Noooo, a cave woman ! :lol: :lol:

Maybe they should invent "brushing gloves" with and usb cabel :laugh:

:rollin::rollin:

Love you, my hairy comrades !

vampyyri
January 6th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Maybe they should invent "brushing gloves" with an usb cabel :laugh:

Now that I would buy in a heartbeat. That sounds amazing :lol:

QUICK, to the patent office! :run: