PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing?

likelikepenny
January 4th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone, so to commemorate reaching my goal length, I'm thinking of dyeing my ends a crazy colour. I only want to dye about three inches of my hair because by the time I get tired of it, it'll have grown out enough I'll be able to just chop it off. I'm leaning toward either hot pink or purple.

My question is this, how long will my dye last? I have low porosity virgin hair and leaning away from bleaching, although I may be willing to do it. I use only natural products to wash my hair (ACV for shampoo, catnip conditioner, aloe vera juice, olive oil, etc.) and have pretty good hair practices aside from liking to wear my hair down often. I'm wondering how long I can expect my dye to last until I would need to re-dye or start over.

Strands
January 4th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I would not dye it at all, I like natural hair LOL. But here is a BUMP so hopefully someone helpful finds this!

Doom
January 4th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone, so to commemorate reaching my goal length, I'm thinking of dying
I hope not.

This is dying
https://aos.iacpublishinglabs.com/question/aq/700px-394px/should-word-funeral-acknowledgement_179e323df2961ce0.jpg?domain=cx.aos .ask.com

This is dyeing
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/e5/d7/74e5d7af5c9264b07cfa7f29bb3091c3.jpg

BTW, I actually clicked on the title expecting the post to be someone's fear of the forum dying.

hayheadsbird
January 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone, so to commemorate reaching my goal length, I'm thinking of dying my ends a crazy colour. I only want to dye about three inches of my hair because by the time I get tired of it, it'll have grown out enough I'll be able to just chop it off. I'm leaning toward either hot pink or purple.

My question is this, how long will my dye last? I have low porosity virgin hair and leaning away from bleaching, although I may be willing to do it. I use only natural products to wash my hair (ACV for shampoo, catnip conditioner, aloe vera juice, olive oil, etc.) and have pretty good hair practices aside from liking to wear my hair down often. I'm wondering how long I can expect my dye to last until I would need to re-dye or start over.

I think it depends on the colour and make. Some have a tendency to stain more, some wash out quicker. Afraid I haven't got any experience to even make an educated guess.

I hope not.

This is dying
https://aos.iacpublishinglabs.com/question/aq/700px-394px/should-word-funeral-acknowledgement_179e323df2961ce0.jpg?domain=cx.aos .ask.com

This is dyeing
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/e5/d7/74e5d7af5c9264b07cfa7f29bb3091c3.jpg

😂😂😂

That rainbow hair is stunning though!

likelikepenny
January 4th, 2017, 09:19 AM
lol sorry, stupid autocorrect on my phone.

samanthaa
January 4th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Your hair looks dark brown or black from your avatar, so I'm not certain hot pink or purple without any bleach will show up over such a dark color.

I don't think bleaching the last three inches of your hair would be too harmful to the length, especially because, as you say, you're willing to cut if off when your hair grows a bit longer. I've considered doing this myself when I get sick of the length and am willing to part with a couple of inches :)

I have no idea how long the dye will last, unfortunately. I've never used dye personally. I think it depends on brand (ingredients) and color (some colors stick around longer than others). Perhaps you can check out this thread for inspiration: ISO other *colorful* longhairs? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938)

antler_tines
January 4th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Hot pink usually last quite a long time, sometimes it won't ever wash out completely. But in order for either to show well you would have to bleach to a light blonde. Purples tend to fade a little faster. Something that would be really pretty would be to lightly bleach your ends for an ombre look and then dye you ends with purple, the way it would blend with your dark hair would be pretty!

lapushka
January 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM
lol sorry, stupid autocorrect on my phone.

It happens. Maybe contact a mod, they can fix it for you! :)

Anje
January 4th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Fixed the title as soon as I saw it. ;)

This is probably the thread for you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938

How long it lasts can vary a lot. Bleach the ends a little first, use a quality dye, and it could last for months. Maybe years if you go with a pink shade, which tend to stick around for ages. Different colors tend to last different amounts of time, though, and different brands also vary. Special Effects has a great reputation for hanging around for ages, while most shades of Manic Panic tend to wash out over several weeks. Cooler water and avoiding shampoo help it last longer. I'm finding I touch up my green pretty frequently, but I didn't bleach it down to where the hair wasn't orange, and I still like hot water a LOT, so it takes a bit of maintenance to keep my shade from looking muddy. (Currently having super-short hair also makes a difference, because a few weeks of growth means that the new growth is comprising a considerable percentage of the hair and affecting its appearance. That wouldn't be an issue if you do just the ends.)

pastina
January 4th, 2017, 11:54 AM
People have already kinda nailed it, but here's a super quick rundown:

When you bleach dark hair, the color goes black>red>orange>yellow>light yellow>super light, inside of a banana yellow>white. ...You probably don't need this warning bc of what you're going for, but its worth saying that you never want to push through to white, it's guaranteed damage.

Your hair seems pretty dark, so you're going to need to bleach. How much is really up to you and what color you're going for, because semipermanent colors look like a layer of colored cellophane on your hair. With these types of dyes, your base color *does* affect your results and will shine through more as the dye fades. If you try a semi over what you currently have, it might look like you haven't done anything, or best case, you'll see a slight sheen in direct sunlight.

Now. If you're talking dark to mid-toned pink or purple, you won't need to bleach very light. You can get away with dying over the "orange stage", but will probably fare the best over yellow. (Red is another option for you if you don't want to lighten that much-- an orangey-red will be even more orange on your hair, while a pink-red will most likely pull you towards a true red color--think, stop sign.)

Both pink and purple (I should say, pink-leaning purple, as opposed to the more blue-leaning varieties) tend to last a really long time on pre-lightened hair, and semi-permanent reds aren't too far behind-- they last WAY longer than their permanent counterparts. Some pinks are basically permanent. Like Anje says, Special FX is known for lasting a long time-- their pinks will stain your hair. But... so will their purples, since they're pink-based. But, these three options-- red, pink and purple --will also give you the nicest fades. A pink will gradually lighten and go salmony over an orange base, a pink-leaning purple will get more and more magenta and eventually into the salmon pink, and red will usually fade towards orange.

Now. If you're thinking a baby pink, you'll need to go lighter-- at least to light yellow stages. And if you're thinking light purple, you'll need to bleach until you get to the lightest yellow stage, and you'll probably need to tone to white. Light purples are extremely unforgiving.