PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take so long to wash out conditioner?

Pink_Tea
January 3rd, 2017, 09:05 PM
Why does it take so long to wash out conditioner?

Dark40
January 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM
What is the length of your hair? It takes me 5 minutes to rinse or wash out conditioner.

Strands
January 3rd, 2017, 09:12 PM
5 minutes? Maybe a minute for my 28" wurls. What product are you using? How long does it take OP?

Dark40
January 3rd, 2017, 09:27 PM
The product I'm using is Garnier Damage Eraser Conditioner. That type of conditioner is thick. It's like butter, and it really makes my hair feel like soft like butter.

cassidy_2711
January 3rd, 2017, 09:56 PM
I noticed when I take a shower at a place with a water softener the conditioner takes longer to rinse out.

Alex Lou
January 4th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Conditioners are meant to leave a residue in your hair. A quick rinse should be all that is required.

Aunty Miki
January 4th, 2017, 12:57 AM
My hair dresser said that rinse out conditioners must be thoroughly rinsed out, or it could irritate your scalp and increase dandruff. Leave ins are good to go, though.

Aunty Miki
January 4th, 2017, 12:59 AM
The product I'm using is Garnier Damage Eraser Conditioner. That type of conditioner is thick. It's like butter, and it really makes my hair feel like soft like butter.

I want to try that. I'm always on the search for a better mouse trap.

Alex Lou
January 4th, 2017, 01:21 AM
My hair dresser said that rinse out conditioners must be thoroughly rinsed out, or it could irritate your scalp and increase dandruff. Leave ins are good to go, though.

If you are using a heavy coney conditioner you are probably better off not putting it on your scalp in the first place. I don't put conditioner on my scalp.

Dessi
January 4th, 2017, 01:36 AM
I second what Alex Lou said, better not put it on the scalp.
I need less then a minute to rinse out mine, but I'm only using it on the last 6'' of hair.
Maybe you use too much conditioner or you leave it in for too long? Have you tried using a different one, is it the same case?

Mimha
January 4th, 2017, 03:31 AM
It also depends on how much of it you put in your hair... If you saturate your whole hair with it, of course it takes ages to rinse out. And I second the fact that it's better not to put it on your scalp (unless you practice the conditioner-only whasing and are sure it's not causing you hairloss).

Personally, I don't use conditioner at all, unless I am in a desperate situation (it can happen after a week of daily swimming pool in chlorine water or beach and salty water). And in this case, it is a pea size amount only on the last third of my length.

Nique1202
January 4th, 2017, 03:59 AM
It can also depend on the temperature of water you're using. The warmer you like your showers, the quicker the conditioner will rinse out. Colder water will keep the conditioner very thick, warmer water will melt it a bit and make it looser and easier to rinse. Some people swear cold water rinses will "seal" the cuticle but I don't think the science really holds up. As your hair dries it comes back to room temperature anyway, so you might as well be cozy while you wash.

I'd say try using less conditioner overall (it sounds like you have a lot leftover to rinse out, there really shouldn't be), try warmer water if you've been using cool water or taking tepid showers, only apply it below your earlobes or below your shoulders, and just wipe your hands over your head when you're done to put a little bit of the residue on the canopy since that's the only spot above the shoulders that generally needs conditioner.

spidermom
January 4th, 2017, 08:16 AM
We have soft water here, and it takes less than a minute to adequately rinse it out. I rarely get conditioner near my scalp and only use it from neck level down.

lapushka
January 4th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Takes me like seconds. You do have to accept that every conditioner leaves behind a "coating"; that's normal. If the water runs clear, as soon as you see that it's done.

mizukitty
January 4th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Depends on many factors. What is the consistency? Thick, runny? Does it have silicones? Those are meant to deposit and aid in slip, shine, etc. Water hardness? Very soft can make it a bit more difficult (though that also depends on the formulation.) Temp of water you're using? Cold and tepid will make it take longer.

I personally hate washing all of my conditioner out because the slip and smoothness is reduced. You *want* some of those fatty alcohols to stay on your length (not your scalp) - it'll make it manageable!

Strands
January 5th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Hmmm... I do put conditioner on my scalp. Coney ones - and I find that the hair up there is better texture, and I have far less dandruff doing this...

Nique1202
January 5th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Hmmm... I do put conditioner on my scalp. Coney ones - and I find that the hair up there is better texture, and I have far less dandruff doing this...

Does your scalp get greasy or is it fairly dry? If your scalp doesn't produce a lot of sebum then you might be getting a benefit from conditioner since it's acting the way sebum is supposed to, moisturizing and protecting the hair and the scalp. Your reduced dandruff is probably just dry skin, if that's the case. Everyone's different, obviously, but a lot of us don't respond well to conditioner above the ears because our scalps produce enough sebum to moisturize the hair and sometimes putting conditioner on the scalp causes extra hair to fall out, or can cause actual dandruff or SD to flare up (since those are fungal infections that can feed on some of the ingredients in conditioner).

FennFire911
January 5th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Why does conditioning to the scalp cause hair to fall out? :(

spidermom
January 5th, 2017, 10:16 AM

Because conditioners are formulated to leave a coating behind to make hair more manageable and easy to comb. This coating can build up on the scalp and clog hair follicles.

Nique1202
January 5th, 2017, 10:16 AM

Not that I want to go too far off topic, but nobody's really sure. What seems most likely to me is that some scalps are sensitive or mildly allergic to certain oils, silicones, or other conditioning ingredients, the same way the rest of your skin can be sensitive to stuff and have bad reactions. Some people swear it's got to be just that the conditioner is loosening hairs that were about to fall out, but that can't be true in all cases because some people have had significant thinning from just conditioner, and their hair has generally grown back after they stopped using it above their shoulders. For some people any conditioner will cause it, but I think some people have found that it's limited to just one or a few brands for them.

Anyway, that's why one of the first suggestions around here is to only use conditioner on the ends of the hair, which for most of us is below the earlobes or shoulders.

spidermom
January 5th, 2017, 10:19 AM
One thing to keep in mind about soft water is that it will often feel like there is still conditioner or oil in your hair, but by the time hair is dry you will see that there is not. If you're used to hard water, which leaves mineral deposits on the hair, you might misinterpret what the feel of soft water means. I'm used to soft water, so while I was staying in a hard water area, I was freaking out about how rough my hair felt.

Anje
January 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM

Depends on the person. There are a lot of long-term CO washers out there who aren't suffering for it, so clearly it's not always a problem. For some people it is, and for some people it isn't -- perhaps there's a sensitivity to ingredients. Perhaps in the longer term, the people who have issues with the microflora on their scalps that live off the oils end up shedding more as a reaction to those rather than to the conditioner itself.

I have noticed that I seem to shed a little more when I condition my scalp, but I'm not convinced that it's not that more hair comes out during the rinsing process rather than after the shower when I'm detangling. It might be that there's a difference in slip, that encourages shed hairs to slide out more readily. I've had luck with WO methods too, on a multi-month timescale, so it's clear that my scalp is OK with its own sebum.

spidermom
January 5th, 2017, 01:00 PM
I only use conditioner on my scalp when I'm vacationing, thus spending time in swimming pools and the sea. I feel the need to moisturize everything. Otherwise, my hair seems to get oily in about 12 hours if I've used conditioner on my scalp, which I'd never notice while on vacation because I'm back in the pool or in the sea the next day.

lapushka
January 5th, 2017, 01:08 PM

Not *everyone* has that happen to them. Some do, though, and the same can be said for leaving oil on the scalp. I can't do either. I get hair loss and my SD acts up, and I become way too oily! I am also careful with silicones on my scalp, even though I have no issues with dimethicone (which is a common one). I still prefer my shampoos without them, though, but sometimes a preferred shampoo has them, so... I make an exception. ;)

Dark40
January 5th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I want to try that. I'm always on the search for a better mouse trap.

Yes, I know what you mean about finding a better mouse trap. That stuff works excellent on my hair! I'm also always searching for something better too.

Pink_Tea
January 5th, 2017, 08:28 PM
One thing to keep in mind about soft water is that it will often feel like there is still conditioner or oil in your hair, but by the time hair is dry you will see that there is not. If you're used to hard water, which leaves mineral deposits on the hair, you might misinterpret what the feel of soft water means. I'm used to soft water, so while I was staying in a hard water area, I was freaking out about how rough my hair felt.

Interesting!
I'm curious- does soft/hard water affect how fast your hair gets oily too? I have a hair type a bit similar to yours, but my hair gets oily so fast and was wondering if this can be a factor.

Lizzie.torp
January 5th, 2017, 09:40 PM
I condition my scalp and use thick coney conditioners like 3MM and I slather it on thick. I let it sit and absorb a while and it washes right out in warm water.

If I don't condition my scalp, it's itchy then I have day 8 hair by day 2.

Dark40
January 6th, 2017, 08:54 PM
I condition my scalp and use thick coney conditioners like 3MM and I slather it on thick. I let it sit and absorb a while and it washes right out in warm water.

If I don't condition my scalp, it's itchy then I have day 8 hair by day 2.
Yeah, I also love coney conditioners and thick conditioners too! I do like you as well. I condition my hair and scalp all over, and let it sit and absorb. Then I rinse it out with warm water. I've also believed in using those coney and deep conditioners on the scalp. Because, it moisturizes your hair, and it doesn't leave my hair or scalp feeling any greasy at all.

vpatt
January 7th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I started CO washing last January and after about 6 months began to have some shedding that went on for 4 months until I began using PuraD'or shampoo just on my scalp. The shed stopped. It never occurred to me until now that the shedding could have been from the Suave conditioner. I loved the way my hair was with CO. Now I am thinking I will go back to very diluted shampoo on the scalp only with conditioner on the ends only. I'm afraid of becoming dependent on the PuraD'or. I would like to try WO (at least on my scalp). But my scalp is kind of oily so I don't know about that.

But to the OP, I never had trouble rinsing out conditioner even with it on scalp and length. But I agree about soft water as I have showered at a friend's house who had a water softening system. Wow, completely different than my water even tho mine is not considered really hard.

Zebra Fish
January 7th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I don't use conditioner near my scalp, except in summer - but even then it washes out really quickly. And I've tried from cheap to expensive ones, from runny to creamy, and from cone free to heavy coned. The water is very hard (never tried washing in soft water, so dunno the difference by myself, but heard than in soft water it feels like you don't wash soap fully off).

Dark40
January 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I started CO washing last January and after about 6 months began to have some shedding that went on for 4 months until I began using PuraD'or shampoo just on my scalp. The shed stopped. It never occurred to me until now that the shedding could have been from the Suave conditioner. I loved the way my hair was with CO. Now I am thinking I will go back to very diluted shampoo on the scalp only with conditioner on the ends only. I'm afraid of becoming dependent on the PuraD'or. I would like to try WO (at least on my scalp). But my scalp is kind of oily so I don't know about that.

But to the OP, I never had trouble rinsing out conditioner even with it on scalp and length. But I agree about soft water as I have showered at a friend's house who had a water softening system. Wow, completely different than my water even tho mine is not considered really hard.

Yeah, you know if you only CO-wash with conditioner all of the time. It does cause hair loss or shedding. I've also experienced that as well. I have an excellent suggestion for you. You can try clarifying once a month to get rid of the build up. Because, any type of conditioner leaves a build up. That's why I have to clarify once a month. Or, you can use a shampoo once a week that has sulfates in it.

vpatt
January 7th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Yeah, you know if you only CO-wash with conditioner all of the time. It does cause hair loss or shedding. I've also experienced that as well. I have an excellent suggestion for you. You can try clarifying once a month to get rid of the build up. Because, any type of conditioner leaves a build up. That's why I have to clarify once a month. Or, you can use a shampoo once a week that has sulfates in it.

Thank you for the help, Dark40.