PDA

View Full Version : Hair care after major depression

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
2016 was a horrible year for me. I suffered severe depression and attempted suicide last January. Things are looking better for me and I am starting to take care of myself again. My hair has suffered too. I shedded shedded like crazy,. Had some breakage and my hair seems dry. I drink lots of water and have continued to oil ends. What can I do for a quick boost to my hair. Growth has been fine.

Angelica
January 3rd, 2017, 08:52 AM
I am sorry to hear about your depression and your suicide attempt. I hope you are getting all the support you need and medication if necessary. I think your hair will improve naturally anyway, but others on here can be of more help with regards that. Be kind to yourself and be gentle with your hair. Good luck and Happy New Year to you xxxx

renia22
January 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
It'd probably be a good idea to focus on eating regular, balanced, nutritious meals, getting regular exercise, and using nice hair care products that make you feel good. Best wishes, hope 2017 is better for you. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/tackle.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 08:59 AM
Thank you. Yes. I have found great support and ready to take on 2017. I have a job I love, friends, family.

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 09:03 AM
Thank you. Yes. I am trying to eat better. It's been difficult financially and I have been living on whatever I got at the food pantry. I finally found a job that fits me so I am finally getting caught up

Rhodugune
January 3rd, 2017, 09:03 AM
First of all I would like to say thank you for being you, open and honest about your mental health and what your are going through as I feel it is so important for us to do that to get rid of the sigma of having mental health problems and it really warms my heart to hear that it is looking better for you. :flowers:

And for me it really helped my way back from depression to take what energy I had and put into self care and caring for me, my hair as it really made a difference to me feeling that I deserved to feel good about myself, so I am glad to hear that you found it in you to show your hair and yourself some love.

My ends especially is prone to being dry and the LOC method which I learned about in this wonderful thread, that is a way of moisturise your hair and keep that moisture in has really made all the difference for how my hair feels especially during these dry winter months.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167&highlight=method

lapushka
January 3rd, 2017, 09:53 AM
I know very little of depression, so I'm not going to comment on that.

I do want to wish you all the best for the upcoming year.

As far as your hair goes, I agree with posters who've said, a nice balanced diet, maybe a multivitamin, and some pampering will do you a world of good!

lithostoic
January 3rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
Can you comfortably stretch washes? That makes a world of difference for me. Sorry to hear of your depression, I understand and support you.

pili
January 3rd, 2017, 10:28 AM
Welcome to LHC. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles, but glad you are in a better place now. I hope that continues for this year as well. As others have said: stay hydrated, eat well, move your body. On here you will learn about gently handling your hair. You will also learn massive amounts of info about different techniques. Take it slow and feel free to experiment, but don't stress or feel there is only one way. YMMV is a common saying here, and you don't want to add stress to yourself about "doing it right." There is no one right way.

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 10:38 AM
I only wash about once or maybe twice a week. Where I work I keep my hair braided so it doesn't matter much if it is washed

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 10:43 AM
I have been here awhile and used the techniques on here before and had healthy hair. I guess I am looking for a quick fix. I guess I will just have to go back to the old routine and it will just take time. The depression really did a number on me all over so I will just be kind to myself and let nature repair me. Thank you everyone for the kind and supportive comments

pili
January 3rd, 2017, 10:49 AM
I have been here awhile and used the techniques on here before and had healthy hair. I guess I am looking for a quick fix. I guess I will just have to go back to the old routine and it will just take time. The depression really did a number on me all over so I will just be kind to myself and let nature repair me. Thank you everyone for the kind and supportive comments
Patience will be the biggest healer, while my depression has never gotten as sever as yours, I had a few years were I lost massive amounts of hair, it does come back, and being kind to yourself is the best thing you can do.

Anje
January 3rd, 2017, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear that life's been difficult to cope with lately. Depression is tough and it takes away the energy you need to deal with even simple easy aspects of life. :flower:

Don't take on more than you feel up to. But if you want to do a spa day for hair, my "fixes most problems" recommendation is to do a clarifying wash, then follow with some light protein and an SMT. Mixing a bit of plain gelatin like Knox into an SMT is supposed to work well and takes a step out of it.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you. I solved my hair problems with a major haircut.

marvel-lover
January 3rd, 2017, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry about your depression. I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, so I understand the impact that depression has on your hair. Honestly, use your hair and your goals to motivate you. When I was in recovery from an eating disorder, they told me to pick one characteristic that isn't weight related to focus on and take care of. I chose my hair, which was damaged beyond belief. I recommend using frequent oil treatments with oils that your hair seems to respond best to. Try coconut oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, black castor oil, or jojoba oil. You can infuse them with essential oils like rosemary and peppermint that stimulate growth, and massage the oils into your ends. This will allow for nourishment from the inside out.

I hope this helps!

Bambi
January 3rd, 2017, 02:41 PM
I'm sending you a hug and I wish you all the best.
I second everything others have already said. Try to make your hair care like a special moment everyday when you can relax and babying your hair.

Annalouise
January 3rd, 2017, 04:51 PM
Thank you for not killing yourself. Things will get better. Never give up. :flower: Mental illness is profoundly hard. But you will come out stronger and better for it. Please also read the bible for strength and ask Jesus to help you, he will help you. He helped me when I was in severe black depression.
As for your hair, well, who cares! Hair is just hair. Trust me, hair is not that important.:p It's just hair.

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions

Kwantslonghair
January 3rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
Amen. Jesus is who pulled me through

Allychan
January 3rd, 2017, 07:55 PM

I love that you put this "Jesus" out there. I had a family member commit suicide last year and the effect it had on me mentally and physically were almost too much. I understand where you're at. JC got me thru it too, and like you my hair went thru the wringer and I am trying to grow it back after hacking it all off in the hope over starting over. I am focusing on healthy eating, exercise, sunshine, prayers (less anxiety & worry) and taking my supplements.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 3rd, 2017, 07:58 PM

He saved me from killing myself also! :D I am so glad now that I didn't go through with it and my life couldn't be happier now.

Sending strength and hope to you and growth to your very beautiful hair!

Kwantslonghair
January 5th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I am so glad he saved you. 2016 was a horrible year for me all around. I decided that Jan 1 was a new beginning. I would treat myself better, I would love me as I am. My whole life I had been told I wasn't good enough. Well. I am good enough. God made me how he wanted me. I have to use what he gave me to help others and do his work. Only by blessing others, can I be blessed

Kwantslonghair
January 5th, 2017, 09:35 AM
So sorry about your family member. I know all about the feelings that led to it. My granddaughter dad killed himself in July so that was an added stress to me. If it were not for Jesus I would not be here. Plain and simple. I pray things are going better for you

ms.lenny
April 21st, 2017, 07:17 PM
If you're looking for a place to start with eating well, different kinds of beans can be a cheap, readily available, and easy to cook option for protein. Also try looking for pots, pans and crock pot at your local goodwill, savers, value village or salvation army. Most locations will have housewares, but it might be worth checking online before you make the trip. You can find new/unused stuff, but make sure to give it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol if it looks used.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 22nd, 2017, 12:28 AM
Hi Kwantslonghair I hope you are feeling much better and still in good cheer. Sending a colourful rainbow, lots of good energy and a prayer for you. Remember you are valued and worthy of a good life :grouphug:

Borgessa
April 22nd, 2017, 03:51 AM
I am very happy you are on the road to recovery, good luck with your health goals, hair and otherwise.

Rhodugune
April 22nd, 2017, 08:31 AM
It made me glad to see this thread popping up again and I was hoping it was because you were checking in with us, so I hope you are continuing to do good and how is your hair doing these days, have you found a routine that helps with the dryness and the other problems you were having? :blossom: