PDA

View Full Version : buns without arms over the head

bparnell75
January 1st, 2017, 12:53 PM
Any one know of a bun that does not require the arms going up and over/around the head. A more discrete bun to make in public or at work.
Some times at church my favorite bun(modified Pha) goes loose and the fork falls out. How to I get the hair back up without calling attention to what I am doing.

Carolyn
January 1st, 2017, 02:08 PM
Go in to the ladies room or somewhere else private and redo your bun. Honestly I don't worry about where I am when I have bun slippage. I just fix it and go on with what I am doing.

Arctic
January 1st, 2017, 02:29 PM
It might be a length related thing? I don't think my hands go all around and over my head when I do a bun - although I can't really picture making any type of hair style without lifting my hands somewhat high. I usually make a cinnabun. I understand your worry; I don't like doing my hair in very visible places either because it's so thin. And I remember few times in small seminars when my braid unraveled and I needed to re-do it when we were all sitting in circle so everyone was able to see me. It felt very awkward and I felt I was out of place and as if I'd be distracting everyone (my hair was so short then that I needed to do the whole braid behind my head, so arms needed to be lifted). Or the time just a while ago when my bun unraveled at the grocery store line, I felt awkward with all my winter gear on me, and rather grabbed the U-pins and let my hair down than started to redo my bun. Ladies rooms are fine for me, even if there would be more people there.

Anje
January 1st, 2017, 08:48 PM
For me, it was usually more about how the bun was held to keep it in. I mean, you can put any bun fairly low on your head.

Ficcares hold about the best for me. Sticks and forks are usually good, but it depends on the implement and on the day. Also, scarves and the like are super-prone to making buns fall loose for me.

spidermom
January 1st, 2017, 08:51 PM
Any kind of bun done at the nape of the neck wouldn't require arms to be raised over the head. Of course your elbows will come up to about shoulder height.

lithostoic
January 2nd, 2017, 07:19 AM
Tilt your head back?

vampyyri
January 2nd, 2017, 07:23 AM
I would carry a large claw clip for such slippages and just roll it, spiral it into oblong cinnabun and clip it real quick.

neko_kawaii
January 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM
I like Spidermoms Bun in general, but I particularly like it for how I can throw my hair into one at nape and feel like I've drawn minimal attention to myself. Part of why it works well for this is the two initial loops eat up some length before the whole length needs to be wrapped and wrapped around. It is a very simple bun and is completed fast, and unless you have a high collar, is comfortable and elegant at nape.

I've had buns come loose or become uncomfortable in class on occasion, and I generally let it down and pull it over one shoulder and wait until the end of class or there is an appropriate break in lecture/activity and rebun it then.

Strands
January 2nd, 2017, 09:31 AM
Would using a couple bobby pins help hold it in place? To prevent it falling out?

bparnell75
January 2nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Thanks ladies. There are a couple of good suggestions here. Yesterday my hair was silky clean(probably why it came down) so I just left it down.... a rarity for me.

Cg
January 2nd, 2017, 03:04 PM
Gasp, "Oh, my!" and point elsewhere?

When my buns fall, I simply redo them and pretend it's nothing. Usually no one cares anyway.

truepeacenik
January 2nd, 2017, 06:53 PM
Gasp, "Oh, my!" and point elsewhere?

:bowtome: :gabigrin:

I am all for misdirection!

bparnell75
January 31st, 2017, 05:45 PM
Thought i would finish this thread up since I started it. Here is my solution which I have posted on a couple of other threads, The Palmier bun which is no bun but a pastry according to my DH
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/481/32024438372_a334d61a19.jpg