PDA

View Full Version : My hair's so freaking short...it seems.

Aunty Miki
January 1st, 2017, 12:00 AM
It's waist length, but it just feels really short, especially when wearing braids and wearing it down. I still have a lot of arm left at the end of the hair. I've got about 4 years before I'm at knee. Do you feel that your longish hair seems short, too?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2017, 12:04 AM
It's a fairly common complaint around these parts :p

Aunty Miki
January 1st, 2017, 12:07 AM
It's a fairly common complaint around these parts :p

I'm thinking positively. Average growth is 1/8" a week.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2017, 12:09 AM
That's it! Positive is always best - and patience :)

Quixii
January 1st, 2017, 02:03 AM
My hair didn't feel long to me until it hit classic length.

littlestarface
January 1st, 2017, 03:23 AM
Join the club, my hair feels and looks super short to me :rolleyes:

Nique1202
January 1st, 2017, 05:22 AM
I spent most of my life with hair not much past my shoulders if that long, so as I grew on through apl, midback, waist, and hip, it still didn't feel "right", not even as familiar and comfortable as it did at shoulder. It wasn't until I felt my hair hit my lower back for the first time that I was like, Oh, THIS! This is the feeling I've been waiting for, it feels long! It still doesn't feel long enough, but I no longer have that itchy feeling of it not being "right", and I don't have that overwhelming urge to gain length, I can let it go more at its own pace now.

So, have faith! You'll probably get there eventually. In the meantime, you could try wearing it up more often to hide the length from yourself so you don't feel too discouraged. Heidi braids, crown braids, and depending on your thickness most people can start to do nice buns at waist too. :blossom:

LadyCelestina
January 1st, 2017, 05:50 AM
Well waist isn't particularly long if you are going for knee :D But everybody had to go through having shorter hair in order to have long hair :D So instead on focusing on length you can maybe focus on different things that are good about having WL hair, like wearing it down?

Alissalocks
January 1st, 2017, 07:40 AM
Every. Single. Day!

But that's why we come here, right? To distract ourselves while we *try* to be patient? :D

I thought my hair was beginning to get long when I joined last summer. Then, I immediately started feeling like it was actually quite short after landing here though, so many hair folks with Lonnnnnnnnggggg Hairrrrrrrrrr (swoon!)

spidermom
January 1st, 2017, 09:56 AM
I declared myself to have long hair the first time it hit APL, then grew it all the way out to classic. Now at just below collarbone, it feels maybe a bit too long; about time for a trim. haha

LadyCelestina
January 1st, 2017, 11:31 AM
I declared myself to have long hair the first time it hit APL, then grew it all the way out to classic. Now at just below collarbone, it feels maybe a bit too long; about time for a trim. haha

It's funny how hair never seems to grow when you want it to grow long, then when you cut it shorter it suddenly grows super quick and has to be cut all the time :D I cut my hair short several years ago and it grew out again because I was lazy to trim it :D

calmyogi
January 1st, 2017, 11:36 AM
I spent most of my life with hair not much past my shoulders if that long, so as I grew on through apl, midback, waist, and hip, it still didn't feel "right", not even as familiar and comfortable as it did at shoulder. It wasn't until I felt my hair hit my lower back for the first time that I was like, Oh, THIS! This is the feeling I've been waiting for, it feels long! It still doesn't feel long enough, but I no longer have that itchy feeling of it not being "right", and I don't have that overwhelming urge to gain length, I can let it go more at its own pace now.

So, have faith! You'll probably get there eventually. In the meantime, you could try wearing it up more often to hide the length from yourself so you don't feel too discouraged. Heidi braids, crown braids, and depending on your thickness most people can start to do nice buns at waist too. :blossom:

This is how I feel lol. My hair just doesn't feel right at the length it is. I get this itchy, as you put it, or nagging feeling that it just isn't right yet. I feel like when the longest part is brushing the top of my thighs it will be right. But,I will only know when I get closer to that point.

JadeTigress
January 1st, 2017, 03:05 PM
Mine feels crazy short. It's almost to BSL, which feels short to me anyway, but I have so much heavy layering that when look in the mirror all I see is shoulder length and above, so it seems even shorter.

Aunty Miki
January 1st, 2017, 03:38 PM

Yes! I'm inspired by Star Wars hair, LOTR, and everyone here that wears theirs up in so many different ways. Mine's half up in a barrette because it's so cold by the doors where my check stand is. I'm doing the up in some way everyday and no trimming this year. 39", here I come in December!

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 1st, 2017, 04:34 PM
you think your hair is short???

Lol please :rolleyes:

Arctic
January 1st, 2017, 04:55 PM
I am approx. at APL and nope, my hair doesn't feel or look short.

Cass
January 1st, 2017, 05:03 PM
My hair still feels short at BCL! I think it's maybe because it's not that thick. If i had three times or even twice the amount of hair i do now i think i'd be happy.

spidermom
January 1st, 2017, 08:59 PM
I think that when you have a length goal in mind, anything that is shorter than your goal is too short.

Xan
January 2nd, 2017, 01:26 AM
I feel the same at almost tailbone. And I thought all I wanted was waist. Now I feel I want be happy until I'm tripping on it.

DweamGoiL
January 2nd, 2017, 01:55 AM
I personally like WL. For me, it's such a greatly flexible length. You can wear it down without getting caught on everything and still have a lot of styling choices. At that length, my hair still also has a lot of body and isn't weighed down. Right now, I am at HL and am going to be cutting back to WL in February. That is my sweet spot! :)

Nique1202
January 2nd, 2017, 03:49 AM
I think that when you have a length goal in mind, anything that is shorter than your goal is too short.

I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of having a specific goal in mind. Lots of folks grow and grow with no goal in mind and find a place where it feels long enough, and some grow with a goal in mind but find that they end up happy before they reach it.

I think it's less having a specific goal, and more just that so many of us have never allowed ourselves (or been allowed, in the case of controlling parents) to have ultra long hair, so have never found our personal happy lengths. If I'd known that I'd start to feel comfortable past hip, I definitely wouldn't have been so nervous and itchy for 3 years in the growing process, because I'd know what to expect and when I'd feel more myself. That's part of why I want to grow on as far as knee if I can, just to see if I can find a perfect length for my taste, or if how I feel about my hair now is as good as it gets for me.

Rosetta
January 2nd, 2017, 03:55 AM
I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of having a specific goal in mind. Lots of folks grow and grow with no goal in mind and find a place where it feels long enough, and some grow with a goal in mind but find that they end up happy before they reach it.
This; IMO, goals are overrated here... I've never actually had a specific goal, although I tried to think of one as it was kind of required here :o Now I've totally given up on that, and not even actively growing to gain length anymore (only to grow my virgin hair).