PDA

View Full Version : How much?

likelikepenny
December 31st, 2016, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone, so one of my 2017 goals is to have hip length hair with a U shape. Right now I currently have a deep V (from natural layers, I've never had a major chop) and I'm wondering how many inches I can expect to cut off to go from a V shape to a U shape?

Nique1202
December 31st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Maybe you cut one or two inches off the tip of the V and it looks the way you like, maybe you have to cut more and do more reshaping. There's no single measurement we can give you because it depends on the exact depth/angle of the V now and what angle you want your U to look like afterward. You're the only one who can measure that, unfortunately.

Johannah
December 31st, 2016, 08:29 AM
Be careful, it can be tricky to go from a V to a U shape all at once. Tbh, I'd cut off a little bit and leave it be for a while to get used to it... Then after a while cut off a little bit more if you're not happy yet. You could also maintain for a while or just cut half your growth for the next couple of months if you think you need to cut a lot.

lapushka
December 31st, 2016, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone, so one of my 2017 goals is to have hip length hair with a U shape. Right now I currently have a deep V (from natural layers, I've never had a major chop) and I'm wondering how many inches I can expect to cut off to go from a V shape to a U shape?

That largely depends. Is your V a shallow V or a deep V. I'd have a look at Feye's instructions, as she provides them to go from a sharp/shallow V to a U shape. Of course if you have a deep V, you'll have to cut a lot off, so I'd be weary of doing that. I'd wait until I'd reach a certain goal, before going maybe inches shorter (yes: inches).

likelikepenny
December 31st, 2016, 09:10 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13011&attachmentid=25705

This is my hair now with it's natural taper. I don't plan on cutting until I get to hip, but I'm wondering how far past hip i would have to get.

If the link isn't working, it's in my album.

likelikepenny
December 31st, 2016, 09:13 AM
That largely depends. Is your V a shallow V or a deep V. I'd have a look at Feye's instructions, as she provides them to go from a sharp/shallow V to a U shape. Of course if you have a deep V, you'll have to cut a lot off, so I'd be weary of doing that. I'd wait until I'd reach a certain goal, before going maybe inches shorter (yes: inches).

On a somewhat related note lapushka At what length do you think I'd be able to do a lazy wrap bun? It seems we have similar volume.

Xan
December 31st, 2016, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't go more than an inch. you can do a little bit at a time so you don't lose to much length.

-Fern
December 31st, 2016, 09:39 AM
:waving: I went from a V back to a U. I use Feye's Self Trimming method, which lapushka also recommended. I agree with Johannah--there's no need to do it all at once. It really will look just fine if you do it gradually, because you'll go from V to a deep U, then gradually to a shallower U. Honestly, just start with 1/2" and see how you like it. You will not be losing that much hair at all since it's primarily the bottom of the V that is being cut.

As far as being able to do a LWB with iii hair, I was able to when my hair was about 27" or 28" long.

lapushka
December 31st, 2016, 09:47 AM
On a somewhat related note lapushka At what length do you think I'd be able to do a lazy wrap bun? It seems we have similar volume.

I "only" have 4.25" thickness, so hip for me. Waist is a little bit too little hair. My hair is heavily layered, though. So yeah hip, if you tighten the coil quite a bit. A comfortable LWB for me is between TBL & classic. If you have hair that is all-one-length then you might even need more length. I wouldn't know, it also depends on how your hair compacts. I'd even say with coily hair, you need *much* more length. At waist all-one-length, I couldn't do a bun, and then I grew onto hip with layered hair, and all of a sudden I could do a LWB.

:waving: I went from a V back to a U. I use Feye's Self Trimming method, which lapushka also recommended. I agree with Johannah--there's no need to do it all at once. It really will look just fine if you do it gradually, because you'll go from V to a deep U, then gradually to a shallower U. Honestly, just start with 1/2" and see how you like it. You will not be losing that much hair at all since it's primarily the bottom of the V that is being cut.

As far as being able to do a LWB with iii hair, I was able to when my hair was about 27" or 28" long.

likelikepenny
December 31st, 2016, 01:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I attempted a lwb and I could get my hair to wrap around itself so I guess that's a start, I'm hoping by hip I'll be able to do one. My goal is mid thigh though so I'm sure but that time I'll be able to do one.

Also I plan on growing to BCL so I have four inches of wiggle room so I can get my U shape at hip.