PDA

View Full Version : Are you doing anything new for the New Year?

Cass
December 30th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone is using anything new in the New Year?

I'll be clarifying as my hair seems to love it (only started this a fortnight ago so it's kinda new for me) I'll also be taking a mixture of vitamins to see if it improves my hair growth. I'm also in the 2017 no trims which is a new concept for me :)

LadyCelestina
December 30th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I have also joined the No Trimming challenge. It's not entirely new - I 'joined' the 2016 challenge too, but didn't post in the thread because I wasn't on LHC so much and I wasn't sure if I'll stick to it. I didn't because I dyed my hair (stupid) and shortly after cut off too much in a trim (more stupid). Haven't really trimmed since. I did a microtrim sometime in autumn.

Mrstran
December 30th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Attempting to find and trim off sections of split ends every night. At least until my eyes start watering.

Nique1202
December 30th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I normally clarify on my first wash of the month, so I might wait to shower until Sunday and make it a symbolic gesture.

I don't plan to change my routines or anything, though. I don't even have to go shopping for shampoo or conditioner next year, there's enough of my go-tos in my cupboard for at least 12-15 months. There's nothing I feel the need to change this year, at least with regard to my hair.

My only grand plans are to stop fussing, trim if I feel like I need it, and let benign neglect do its thing otherwise. I've spent four years obsessing and perfecting, now it's time to sit back and reap the benefits.

thunderseed
December 30th, 2016, 05:31 PM
I'm going to try eating a diet a lot higher in protien, I don't think I've been eating enough meat, and I'm hoping it will make my hair healthier and longer and my nails stronger.
I'm also going to force myself to drink a lot of water. I've been able to get into the habit of drinking lots of water before, but I haven't been doing that great with it this year.
I've only recently joined this forum (I guess it says I joined in 2015 but I don't remember that) and I've already learned a bunch of new tips and am coming up with a better hair care routine for myself.

Techmouse
December 30th, 2016, 06:12 PM
I'm going to be re-growing my hair from APL. A "trim" at the salon today resulted in my hair going from hip+ to APL.

Cass
December 30th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I'm going to be re-growing my hair from APL. A "trim" at the salon today resulted in my hair going from hip+ to APL.

Was the trim intended to be that long? Ooh I bet your hair feels good though. Would love to cut mine but I've come too far lol

Techmouse
December 30th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Was the trim intended to be that long? Ooh I bet your hair feels good though. Would love to cut mine but I've come too far lol

No, it wasn't. I asked for a one inch trim. I think I'm going to baby my hair like crazy and see how long I can go between trims so that it will get longer faster. On the plus side, most of my braid taper is gone.

hypersensitive
December 30th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Hmm maybe a lighter color? My to do list also includes getting shampoo bars but other than that, nothing else will change.

Hairkay
December 30th, 2016, 07:25 PM
I'll be doing a hair trim then vacuuming at midnight whilst the neighbour's party are cheering the new year loudly.

Deborah
December 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM
No hair change for me. My hair is healthy and long, so I'll go on treating it the same way.

Greenfire
December 30th, 2016, 10:55 PM
I'm going to start tracking my hair growth with the spreadsheet on here, something I've never done monthly before.

My mum also recently started needing to take some vitamins and a prescription med for bone growth, and the combo she says is making her hair and nails grow like mad, so I'm waiting for the list of what she's taking (minus the Rx) and going to try them and see if I get more than average while on it.

I also may chelate my hair. Hubby's taking some water in to work to test it for hardness. The city claims it varies, and has soft to extremely hard as their value so I don't trust it, I know it's not soft, just not sure exactly HOW hard it is. He's also going to test the pH and how much chlorine and other chemicals are in it. He told me recently he had to call Public Health and have them shut the water down because it was putting combined chlorines into the drinking water. OOPS! So this year I'm looking at getting a water filter... might bump the timeline up on getting one if I need it for my hair too. My hair feels great, but I've been noticing it getting redder and redder since moving here...

I also intend to put myself on a drink water challenge. Not the gallon a day thing, but the one where you are supposed to drink between 24-50% of your body weight in lbs, translated to ounces of water, per day. (including juice and the like) I can't imagine it will do anything other than make my hair healthier simply because it makes your skin healthier, and scalp is skin. Hoping it makes it shinier, thinking more oils or something? At the very least, less hair headaches due to less dehydration making my hair not hurt when I wear it up?

I'm also going to part with my tt. I can't stand how grey it gets on the teeth, even with washing, and the teeth are bent, and it needs replacing, but I'm not replacing it, I have enough plastic in my life. I have a hand carved wide tooth comb that is beautiful, and it will be my styling tool now, and it will force me to go slower, which when touching hair, is a good thing!

missrandie
December 31st, 2016, 12:58 AM
I'm staying in on Amateur Night (aka NYE), and potentially going to give myself my New Year's scrubdown. Wash away the old, maybe shave, all that jazz.

lapushka
December 31st, 2016, 02:39 AM
January 1st, this Sunday, happens to be my wash day. I'll be pampering the heck out of my hair. :lol: Well "it" is spoiled; always gets pampered. ;)

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 07:30 PM
I've also joined the 2017 no trimming challenge as well. I'm going to moisturize my hair more with different types of oils, and keep continuing to take hair vitamins.

mizukitty
December 31st, 2016, 10:07 PM
Will be a year full of experimentation, no doubt. I do want to try and take it a bit more slowly, though. I am rather impulsive and tend not to do enough reading before I dive into something and regret it later. So... patience for me!

I hope to find some true holy grails, and come a bit closer to figuring out how my hair and scalp look and feel the best. In the last few months of 2016, I learned that I need to clarify a lot, especially at my scalp. I also learned that my hair is super finicky with moisture/frizz. It either gets too much and looks frizzy, or too little and feels dry and looks frizzy. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, it decides to look sleek and smooth!! Gahh..

In terms of styling, I really want to improve my braiding game as I LOVE them. I think they look fabulous on every single head of hair!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2016, 11:01 PM
I have joined the "No trimming for the first half of 2017" thread, so I'll see how I go with that.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
January 1st, 2017, 01:03 AM
I have joined the no trimming for 2017 and shall continue with the same routine. As it is working well for my hair.

Happy New Year and Happy Hanukkah.

Bambi
January 1st, 2017, 03:53 AM
I bought some Walnut oil yesterday and it's working it's magic (hopefully) on my hair in a bun, secured with my first hairstick:D.

This year I will not be as afraid of sulphates as I've been before, my hair cope with them well and I won't worry as much about build up (cone head). I will use them every other wash as it feels right now.

Decided to trim my ends myself and it took away much stress, now I can grow it w/o having to face the dreaded trim at the salon which always take of more than I can cope with..

My first goal when I joined LHC was WL but when I reached it I changed to hip..the thing is that my hip is close to my waist so I think that maybe TBL could be a possibility? Or something in between HL and TBL...time will tell:).

I will just enjoy the process of growing it out, getting rid of my faceframing layers (at APL) and old bleach, and I'll start running again :).

LadyCelestina
January 1st, 2017, 09:41 AM
Will be a year full of experimentation, no doubt. I do want to try and take it a bit more slowly, though. I am rather impulsive and tend not to do enough reading before I dive into something and regret it later. So... patience for me!

I hope to find some true holy grails, and come a bit closer to figuring out how my hair and scalp look and feel the best. In the last few months of 2016, I learned that I need to clarify a lot, especially at my scalp. I also learned that my hair is super finicky with moisture/frizz. It either gets too much and looks frizzy, or too little and feels dry and looks frizzy. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, it decides to look sleek and smooth!! Gahh..

In terms of styling, I really want to improve my braiding game as I LOVE them. I think they look fabulous on every single head of hair!

Could the fluctuations be related to humectants in your products? My hair did something similar before I learned about humectants - the more conditioner I applied, the drier it got! (this was winter)

diddiedaisy
January 1st, 2017, 10:17 AM
No, it wasn't. I asked for a one inch trim. I think I'm going to baby my hair like crazy and see how long I can go between trims so that it will get longer faster. On the plus side, most of my braid taper is gone.

OMG!!!!! Unless you're a borrower what did she think 1 inch was? I'd have gone mad :)