PDA

View Full Version : Ficcare: old vs new

Obsidian
December 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Can someone explain the differences between old and new ficcare? How old is old and how can you tell age of a used clip?

parkmikii
December 30th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Well first, the colours of the enamel are different (for example, the old collection also had a burgundy lotus which isn't available anymore now), the colours of the gold plating may be different, I found that the old clip I have has a warmer, more orange shade of gold plating compared to the new ones. Also there are styled of clips that aren't produced anymore, the primavera, two toned lotus, glittery primavera, multistripe, etc.

Old, I suppose a clip it's old when it's no longer available to purchase through the site, so perhaps 4+ years?

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Probably by its wear 'n tear. ;) I have a few clips from the swap board, ages ago (before they went nuts with pricing). They are in pretty good condition, and I don't intend to ever get rid of them. I never posted pictures, even though some are pretty rare and coveted, but that's just me. If I like something, I tend to stick to it like a fly to flypaper. :lol:

Why the question? :)

Obsidian
December 30th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I've read about how the quality of the new clips seem to be lower then the older, any idea when this started happening?

Why the question?

I've always liked the look and functionality of ficcares. I told myself that if my hair got long enough, I would buy myself one.
Bought my first one yesterday and would eventually like to get a couple more.

Trying to determine if it's worth it to spend the extra $$ for older clips or buy new that might be of questionable quality.

I'm also really weird about learning history of objects I plan to have possession of for a long time.

slynr
December 30th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I've always loved the borders, primavera, leopard collection which are all old style. I've been really lucky to have owned some older clips in excellent condition. People have a tendency to hold on to those so you really must keep an eye out especially I'd you want a coveted color.

You can look up the year these collections were released to give some idea about age.

I have sold almost all my large clips as my hair is fine and they feel heavy on me. My collection now is mostly medium old style. I love them!

Anje
December 30th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I believe the springs on recent models aren't as stiff. At least, this seems true of my one acrylic vs my (mostly older) collection.

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I've always liked the look and functionality of ficcares. I told myself that if my hair got long enough, I would buy myself one.
Bought my first one yesterday and would eventually like to get a couple more.

Trying to determine if it's worth it to spend the extra $$ for older clips or buy new that might be of questionable quality.

I'm also really weird about learning history of objects I plan to have possession of for a long time.

I just think that if you like the new ones, since that's what you bought, don't even consider the older ones (price wise). ;)

sumidha
December 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
The Ficcare Database has a pretty thorough collection of new versus old clips, and comparison shots: http://ficcaredatabase.weebly.com/

I'm not a Ficcare expert, but I do have some old clips and new ones, and I really don't think there's a noticeable difference in quality or functionality of the clip, it's more about falling in love with an older style or color that isn't made anymore. I love the look of large Ficcarissimos, which they don't make anymore (whyyyyyy Ficcare, why??) so I spent a little extra on one when it popped up. There are quality control issues with the new Ficcares, but if I recall correctly the old ones had some issues too. With the enamel on the border clips chipping off I think?

Kherome
December 30th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I think most of the old clips have black in the word "ficcare" stamped on the bottom where the new ones are just the gold or silver color of the clip too.

lunasea
December 30th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I tend to like the ficcis a little better than the maximas clips. The older ficcis are shaped differently from the newer versions. They are more flat and have teeth. Also, none of the newer ficcis are enameled.

Chromis
December 30th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I believe the springs on recent models aren't as stiff. At least, this seems true of my one acrylic vs my (mostly older) collection.

We had another thread somewhere about that. I think most of the consensus was that the acrylic topper itself makes the clip less flexible, which feels different, but the difference disappeared for people that had modded them and popped that topper off. I keep meaning to try that on the one I have...or more likely to pay for someone to mod it for me since I've been meaning to do that for a few years now...

Obsidian
December 30th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I just think that if you like the new ones, since that's what you bought, don't even consider the older ones (price wise). ;)

I didn't buy a new one though, I bought a black border from another member.

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 04:07 PM
I didn't buy a new one though, I bought a black border from another member.

Oh sorry my mistake, I thought that's what you meant, that you had gotten a newer one.