PDA

View Full Version : To bang or not to bang....

Simsy
December 30th, 2016, 05:22 AM
That is the question...dun, dun, durn...(drumroll)

So, I'm currently having a bit of a mental debate with myself about cutting a fringe/bangs. I don't know why, possibly watching Torrin Paige too much. I did have face framing layers a few years ago and quite liked having them, but they spent a lot of time tucked behind the ears.

For the fine and thick individuals on here, and anyone with curls; would you recommend short hair around the face? Good points, bad points, general opinion...I don't know many people with bangs and no one has a texture similar to mine IRL so I'm a bit in the dark for this one.

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Are you going to wear them wavy/curly? Big loaded question here. :lol: I think it is going to be a bit of a nuisance if you don't blow them out. I had bangs as a child, then when I was a teen, I got 1/oily hair and 2/my hair changed from 1b/c to 2b/c, so that was terrible for bangs, I remember. I remember giving them a "sink bath" every few days and blowing them out, then crimping them. Hassle!

It's your hair, though, so... YOLO, right? ;)

Simsy
December 30th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Since I don't actually own a hair dryer, or a straightener, they will probably be left curly. I have no idea what texture they would end up as; it's been years since my hair was short enough to bounce all the way up.

Sink washs will probably get fairly old quickly, definitely something to weigh up against.

LadyCelestina
December 30th, 2016, 05:49 AM

So, I'm currently having a bit of a mental debate with myself about cutting a fringe/bangs. I don't know why, possibly watching Torrin Paige too much. I did have face framing layers a few years ago and quite liked having them, but they spent a lot of time tucked behind the ears.

For the fine and thick individuals on here, and anyone with curls; would you recommend short hair around the face? Good points, bad points, general opinion...I don't know many people with bangs and no one has a texture similar to mine IRL so I'm a bit in the dark for this one.

This for me is a good enough reason why not. Chances are you'll get annoyed with them and spend most of the time pinning them away and fussing about them falling out all the time. There are 2 types of people : those who mind having hair in their face and those who don't :D

Alexe
December 30th, 2016, 05:51 AM
I think I wouldn't have the balls to cut bangs on curly hair :p I have no idea how your hair behaves, but as I cut my hair shorter it starts to really have a mind of its own. I actually cut bangs in april this year and my bangs would just stand at an 90° angle away from my face sometimes ( I have multi-rextured hair ranging from 1a to 2a). And without a blowdryer, it was just a hassle/too much work.
Another thing I would take in to consideration if you decide to cut them is that they will probably shrink a fair bit...so do not cut too short on the first go!

But if you want to try it, why not? It will grow back :)

embee
December 30th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Think also of the fun of growing them out.... it takes about forever.

LaísB
December 30th, 2016, 06:10 AM

I have 2b hair and I have bangs quite often, like once a year, and it's usually a bit of maintenence, with blowdrying, trimming and flat-ironing to make it look perfect, but I never took me more than 5 minutes per day(and there were days when I didn't even had to do anything), plus there are many styles you can do to hide them when growing out, and they grow pretty fast (at least for me). I think that bangs make any hairstyle ten times cuter...

But in the end of the day what matters is that if you want them or not, if you feel like doing it then go for it!

Upside Down
December 30th, 2016, 06:25 AM
I said bang, bang, bangidy bang,
bang bang bangidy bang!

carry on...

Johannah
December 30th, 2016, 07:39 AM
if you want to leave them curly... Well, I know a lot of curly people who need to heat style their bangs cuz if you cut curly hair, it might get even curlier. Idk, I'd be careful with it. Maybe try to cut a couple of strands and see how your hair behaves...

Seija
December 30th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I love the look of bangs, but I know when I had them they were a lot of work to keep them tame (I also have a nasty cowlick, so it may be different for you) Also the growing out process is just awful, that's where I am now and it feels like an eternity

butter52
December 30th, 2016, 08:10 AM
How curly is your hair OP?

spidermom
December 30th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I enjoyed my bangs. I had to wash them more often than the rest of my hair, and sometimes they needed a quick pass with the flat iron to tame them, but like somebody else said above - it never took me more than about 5 minutes from start to finish. When I got tired of them, I let them grow out. There was a period of time when I had to pin them in some way to keep them out of my face, but that's why they make decorated bobby pins and clips.

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Her stats say 2c/3a. ;)

Simsy
December 31st, 2016, 01:49 AM

At that length, no idea. I get fairly decent curls when air drying but I haven't had hair that short in years so your guess would be as good as mine.

I said bang, bang, bangidy bang,
bang bang bangidy bang!

carry on...

Lol, 👍

I enjoyed my bangs. I had to wash them more often than the rest of my hair, and sometimes they needed a quick pass with the flat iron to tame them, but like somebody else said above - it never took me more than about 5 minutes from start to finish. When I got tired of them, I let them grow out. There was a period of time when I had to pin them in some way to keep them out of my face, but that's why they make decorated bobby pins and clips.

I think I'm leaning heavily towards faking bangs when I want to have them. 5 mins each morning is about 4 1/2 mins too long; I am ridiculously low maintenance with my hair.

Simsy
December 31st, 2016, 01:51 AM
I love the look of bangs, but I know when I had them they were a lot of work to keep them tame (I also have a nasty cowlick, so it may be different for you) Also the growing out process is just awful, that's where I am now and it feels like an eternity

Yeah, the growing out was what stopped me in the first place.

ReadingRenee
December 31st, 2016, 03:22 PM
I cut bangs a couple of months ago. My hair is probably about 2b/2c. I quickly realized I didn't like blowdrying them out of the shower and I started putting a soft fabric headband around them to hold them straight to dry. I also cut them sideswept because that looks better on me and you can have them longer without getting in your eyes. My typical routine now is as follows: Wash hair comb bangs straight out of the shower. Let them dry with or without a band over them. Then I get out my flat iron and straighten them to the side, spray a bit of hairspray on my brush, brush through them and they stay. That is probably about 3 minutes or so. I only wash my hair every 5 days so they stay good for a few days and then I either hop in the shower and wash my bangs sticking out of my shower cap or I pin back my bangs when they start looking greasy and they stay better. win win for me.

It is a bit of maintenance so Im growing them longer. I feel like longer sideswept bangs can be left more wavy for me. But, it hasn't been too bad and its been kind of fun. Sometimes I just want to "style" my hair you know?

Greenfire
December 31st, 2016, 04:22 PM
I like bangs, but every time I cut them, I just grow them right back out. I've thought about faux bangs to clip in for those times I just feel like them, is that something that might work for you? Even just to see if you really want them, just wear them for a week or so to decide.

Wildcat Diva
December 31st, 2016, 05:36 PM
I wondered if this thread was about headbanging.
Rock on, and carry on.

spidermom
December 31st, 2016, 05:36 PM
It didn't take me 5 minutes every single day to style my bangs, only the days that I had to wash and blow-dry them separately. On a lot of days, I didn't have to do much of anything to them.

OhSuzi
December 31st, 2016, 07:12 PM
You could get clip in bangs, either just to test how they might look before you commit to cutting them in. Or fake a style with clip on bangs that need no straightening brushing or trimming, then be bangless again whenever you fancy.

vampyyri
December 31st, 2016, 07:17 PM
I wondered if this thread was about headbanging.
Rock on, and carry on.

This is what I initially thought too!
:rockerdud

But in actuality, I find that bangs are a decision, yes... but also a lifestyle. I'm always washing mine since I'm a greaseball, and to get them to dry in their swoop-y shape.
They're a pain, but they're a part of me personally. Totally worth it if you're in for the commitment of trimming and washing then clipping them into place until they dry :p

LongCurlyTress
December 31st, 2016, 07:44 PM
I am a curly 3b/f/iii and I cut in bangs last June, 2016. It has taken me until now for them to grow from mid nose bridge to my lip/chin area. They were a pain, went in all diffo directions and I hated hair in my face. I guess I am one of those who hates hairs on my face, but I do like how they covered my lines on my forehead. I too watched too many TorrinPaige videos, Jane Seymore in Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, and Sally Field pics. Big mistake. I can barely brush them back into a nape lwb now and it has been over 6 months since I cut them. I would say, don't do it!! Maybe if you do a half up, bring down side tendrils from your temples? or dry your hair upside down, the crown area to give your scalp hairs on your bun some curly lift? I am going to suggest not to bang... that would be my answer from my experience. :)

Crystawni
December 31st, 2016, 08:19 PM
I trimmed my widow's peak hair into a fringe last March and have no worries with it, with no extra styling needed--and that's with 2 cowlicks there, too. Less of a fringe is more than enough for me (any thicker and I'd have to manipulate it to what I want, plus this is what suits my forehead as well). I just wash and air dry, letting all my hair do its thing after a short stint in a turbie. Sometimes I let the fringe grow and trim into a side-swept shape for something different, and did add some more face-framers for the blend factor, but all up, I like the versatility the shorter hairs add to my down- and updos. I find it's easier to look after than the 80s spiky fringes that were a nightmare to grow out with all-over layers.

So yeah, I can recommend it--but only if you feel what you trim will suit you, your hair and your lifestyle.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 09:07 PM
I say to bang, bang, bang. I love the look of bangs or a fringe! Especially, with my straight styles that I wear.

Aunty Miki
December 31st, 2016, 09:58 PM
I have bangs. I look too severe without them.

Dark40
January 7th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Yeah, me too Aunty Miki. I just love bangs!

turtlelover
January 7th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I've really loved bangs more and more lately, but have been more drawn to the very wispy, see through bangs more so than the more blunt bangs/sideswept bangs that were all the rage for awhile. Maybe the see through bangs are more retro, but I like them better.

Babyfine
January 8th, 2017, 04:09 PM
I have fine/thin wavy 2A/2B hair. I've seriously been thinking of cutting in a side bang, but doing so does take hair away from my over-all volume, most especially my pony circumference. Side bangs are better for me because they don't need to be cut so thick. My former bangs are far past my shoulders, but I dislike the way my updos look with no bangs. The all pulled back look does not suit me, but I do have thicker hair when the bangs are grown out, somewhat anyway. I pull out side tendrils to help, but even those are so long now! maybe that's a good thing.

Crystawni
August 7th, 2017, 12:13 AM
I know this thread died months ago, but I took a pic of my longer bangs that have morphed into face framers today and thought I'd share. They're drying (thus the frizz) and have been combed a couple of times since dampness for some coil control, but have since bounced up a bit more.

http://i.imgur.com/pQ0Ttn5.jpg

longmane
August 7th, 2017, 12:55 AM
The title of this thread got me thinking :confused: before I clicked

Crystawni
August 7th, 2017, 01:19 AM
You'd be surprised how many threads are named this on the forum, or like it. :lol: