PDA

View Full Version : Big chop + how to cut blunt hemline 2c/3a hair without having to straighten it out?

Rapunzel_to_be
December 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Hey guys:)

I've been growing out my previously highlighted and damaged ( from straightening ) hair now for about 2 years. I stopped using any kinds of heat tools on my hair for about 1 year and 10 months ago ( been using a blow dryer maximum 5 times since then,but on the lowest heat and when hair is almost dry).
I've had many trims in these past two years, including several 10 cm each chops ets, and of course lots of S&D. Anyway my hair finally reached tailbone, and I was so happy, but the remaining highlights and the split ends ( mostly on the highlighted parts) bothered me a lot. At first I decided to cut off 5 cm at home, which ended up being 15 cm instead, then I decided I want to go to the hair salon and get another 15 cm or so cut off, to make it all one length and to finally have the blunt hemline I've been dreaming of for so long. So I got it chopped off, but there were still some highlights left, which the hair dresser suggested me to trim off a few cm at a time so I wouldn't lose so much length, I agreed of course, cause even this length ( approx mid back) felt too short for me ( I've never had this length with my natural hair and it used to bother me when my hair was this length and I randomly saw it in its natural state as I thought it did not suit me very well). Buuuuuut, being the impatient person that I am, it didn't take long ( a day or two) before the remaining split ends and highlighs startet to bother me, so I began to cut the parts I could see at home. Theeen a few days after that, I decided I want to cut off all of the remaining damaged hair!! Sooooo today I went back to the salon and cut off 15 cm more !! So now my hair is APL, and I still have not seen it in its natural form, since the hair stylist blow dried it straight to be able to cut a nice blunt hemline, so we will see in a few days how I will feel about it !shudder:

Which brings me to my question, I would like to know if there is a way I could get a blunt hemline without having to straighten the hair first ?
Since I stopped using heat tools, it really bothers me if I have to use it,and I'd prefer avoiding it completely.
I've tried cutting a blunt hemline using different methods, from youtube ( and even Fay's method), but either I'm doing it completely wrong or has anyone else experienced it becoming more of a u-shape than a blunt hemline ?
I was thinking that since I haven't been able to cut it by myself I could go to the hair salon every time I need a little trim, but then I will have to let her blow dry it straight....

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to avoid my hair being blow dried straight to get a blunt hemline, I'd be very grateful!! :)

Sorry for the long post btw !!

MidnightMoon
December 29th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Well, what first comes to my mind is find a way to straighten your hair without heat, I think Ive heard people talk about doing that here... I think it involves damping and bunning a certain way. Im not sure.
However, since your hair is wavy/curly, does it matter that much that your hemline is straight? I mean, just grabbing hair and pulling down and cutting straight across should do it I think. No one would notice...
I have also heard of using a book to put your hair inside lol.

Rapunzel_to_be
December 29th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Well, what first comes to my mind is find a way to straighten your hair without heat, I think Ive heard people talk about doing that here... I think it involves damping and bunning a certain way. Im not sure.
However, since your hair is wavy/curly, does it matter that much that your hemline is straight? I mean, just grabbing hair and pulling down and cutting straight across should do it I think. No one would notice...
I have also heard of using a book to put your hair inside lol.

Oh yeah I think I've heard of that, or might have even tried it once before. I guess I could try to do that ( damping and bunning). Never heard of the book thing, but I'll look it up, thank you !! :)

Well, I guess it doesn't matter in that sense, I mean people most likely no one would notice, its just that I would like to have my ends as thick as possible, as I don't like it so much, on me, when it starts to look thin, so I thought it would be a good idea to get it cut into a blunt hemline.

Anje
December 29th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I agree that what you cut blunt with your hair straight isn't going to look totally blunt with wurly hair anyway. But if you want to do it anyway, I think what I'd do is get a helper and heavily oil your hair. Get it fully detangled and have your helper comb it as straight as can reasonably be achieved with a relatively fine-tooth comb or BBB to get it all taut, then cut it in a single ponytail, like you'd do with the Feye trim method. You could probably do it wet too (whole point is just to help weigh down the hair), but oil might make the combing easier and the hair won't be as fragile or stretchy when oiled compared to wet. That should give you a decently straight hemline without any heat, but I expect the hair will spring up again when it's released and more when it's washed.

sumidha
December 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I usually soak my hair in oil to weigh it down and make it stiffer, then carefully brush/comb it as straight as possible, then trim using Feye's method. My hair is only wavy though, so YMMV. :)

MidnightMoon
December 29th, 2016, 03:11 PM
No problem, best of luck ;)
The only issue regarding thickness is that if you straighten your hair to cut you'd be pulling certain hairs, that when back to their regular position would still be/end in different places, because waves and curls kinda have different patterns, your hair doesnt have exactly the same wave/curl on your temples than say on the back, or on top, so when if curls again, some strands of pieces would end sooner/be shorter than others. I think :confused:

Rapunzel_to_be
December 29th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I agree that what you cut blunt with your hair straight isn't going to look totally blunt with wurly hair anyway. But if you want to do it anyway, I think what I'd do is get a helper and heavily oil your hair. Get it fully detangled and have your helper comb it as straight as can reasonably be achieved with a relatively fine-tooth comb or BBB to get it all taut, then cut it in a single ponytail, like you'd do with the Feye trim method. You could probably do it wet too (whole point is just to help weigh down the hair), but oil might make the combing easier and the hair won't be as fragile or stretchy when oiled compared to wet. That should give you a decently straight hemline without any heat, but I expect the hair will spring up again when it's released and more when it's washed.

Oh this sounds interesting, never thought of oiling my hair before cutting it, but it makes sense, I will definitely give this a try !! Thanks :):)

Rapunzel_to_be
December 29th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I usually soak my hair in oil to weigh it down and make it stiffer, then carefully brush/comb it as straight as possible, then trim using Feye's method. My hair is only wavy though, so YMMV. :)

Thank you :) I'm going to try this out the next time I need a trim!! :D

Rapunzel_to_be
December 29th, 2016, 03:29 PM
No problem, best of luck ;)
The only issue regarding thickness is that if you straighten your hair to cut you'd be pulling certain hairs, that when back to their regular position would still be/end in different places, because waves and curls kinda have different patterns, your hair doesnt have exactly the same wave/curl on your temples than say on the back, or on top, so when if curls again, some strands of pieces would end sooner/be shorter than others. I think :confused:

Oh hahahah that makes a lot of sense, never thought about that... but the first time my hair stylist cut a blunt hemline, it kind of still looked pretty blunt, but it completely makes sense what you're saying anyway ! :):)

lapushka
December 29th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Maybe first grow it out some more, and try and save up for a devacut. They will cut your curly hair dry and so that way it can reach blunt without being straightened.

LongCurlyTress
December 29th, 2016, 10:11 PM
I have very thick, curly 3b hair that is now hip length. I detangle my hair when it is damp/almost dry with a tangle teezer, especially the hemline area. Then my DH clips on the creaclip only a few inches above the hemline and gently pulls it down the back of my length in the correct smiley face position. If I clip it on too much higher, the Creaclip teeth are so close together that it breaks my hair as it is pulled down the length.
Another way I trim my hair is to part it through the center on top and back and then brush each side over a shoulder, like Fayes, but not using hairties. instead I use my first two fingers sliding them like this == sideways, parallel to the floor and straight down the front of my chest. I have learned the hard way that if I tilt my chin forward touching my chest, this creates a deep U shape, but if I tilt my head straight forward or even a bit backwards and then run my fingers down the length, this creates a more shallow U shape but it is not perfectly straight. I think the only way to get a perfectly straight hemline is to have someone else trim your hair brushed out on your back.

Rapunzel_to_be
December 30th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Maybe first grow it out some more, and try and save up for a devacut. They will cut your curly hair dry and so that way it can reach blunt without being straightened.

I would love to get a deva cut, but haven't found any salons that offers that in my country, unfortunately :(

And yes I will definitely let it grow, I have a blunt hemline now, I just want to know how to maintain it when I need to get a little trim :)

Rapunzel_to_be
December 30th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I have very thick, curly 3b hair that is now hip length. I detangle my hair when it is damp/almost dry with a tangle teezer, especially the hemline area. Then my DH clips on the creaclip only a few inches above the hemline and gently pulls it down the back of my length in the correct smiley face position. If I clip it on too much higher, the Creaclip teeth are so close together that it breaks my hair as it is pulled down the length.
Another way I trim my hair is to part it through the center on top and back and then brush each side over a shoulder, like Fayes, but not using hairties. instead I use my first two fingers sliding them like this == sideways, parallel to the floor and straight down the front of my chest. I have learned the hard way that if I tilt my chin forward touching my chest, this creates a deep U shape, but if I tilt my head straight forward or even a bit backwards and then run my fingers down the length, this creates a more shallow U shape but it is not perfectly straight. I think the only way to get a perfectly straight hemline is to have someone else trim your hair brushed out on your back.

Thank you for the great tips!! :)
I would like to try the creaclip someday !!

And I did try parting my hair, wihtout using a hair tie, I saw a girl do it on youtube, and she also mentioned that i would have to hold the scissors and cut it (each piece on each side) "downwards", so that the hair would be a perfect blunt hemline, as the holding the scissors downwards would make the length shorter in the back and longer in the front, but of course it did not workout that way when I did it haha, I ended up with a u-shape :p

LongCurlyTress
December 30th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Thank you for the great tips!! :)
I would like to try the creaclip someday !!

And I did try parting my hair, wihtout using a hair tie, I saw a girl do it on youtube, and she also mentioned that i would have to hold the scissors and cut it (each piece on each side) "downwards", so that the hair would be a perfect blunt hemline, as the holding the scissors downwards would make the length shorter in the back and longer in the front, but of course it did not workout that way when I did it haha, I ended up with a u-shape :p

I think I may have seen the same video about cutting it downward as you trim the length towards your shoulder. I haven't tried this since I think it would come out all uneven.. the Creaclip works great if you have someone to help you slide it down your back -- but... make sure your hair is wet, and completely untangled or it will break off your hairs... all. the. way. down. the. length. like it did mine...:( But now, my DH clips it on a couple of inches above the hemline and then slides it down the detangled damp length. This seems to have solved most of the "breakage w the Creaclip down the back" problem. Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2znD6D3fhs&t=2s
Her hair ends up in a deep U shape but it still looks nice. I think if she tilted her head back as she ran her fingers down the length of each side before trimming, it would have been a shallower U shape.
I hope you post before and after pics if you use this technique!! :)

Rapunzel_to_be
December 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I think I may have seen the same video about cutting it downward as you trim the length towards your shoulder. I haven't tried this since I think it would come out all uneven.. the Creaclip works great if you have someone to help you slide it down your back -- but... make sure your hair is wet, and completely untangled or it will break off your hairs... all. the. way. down. the. length. like it did mine...:( But now, my DH clips it on a couple of inches above the hemline and then slides it down the detangled damp length. This seems to have solved most of the "breakage w the Creaclip down the back" problem. Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2znD6D3fhs&t=2s
Her hair ends up in a deep U shape but it still looks nice. I think if she tilted her head back as she ran her fingers down the length of each side before trimming, it would have been a shallower U shape.
I hope you post before and after pics if you use this technique!! :)

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you!! :( But thank you so much for sharing, and giving me the heads up!! :o

Hahaha yes mine came out kind of uneven as well when I tried cutting it that way:rolleyes:

Upside Down
December 30th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I got a veeeerry shallow U, almost straight (blunt if you will), by tilting my head way back while doing a Feye's. I used to cut hair wet when it was curly.

Took me two cuts to realize I am doing it wrong :lol: (I wanted a V hemline :brickwall: )

LongCurlyTress
December 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I got a veeeerry shallow U, almost straight (blunt if you will), by tilting my head way back while doing a Feye's. I used to cut hair wet when it was curly.

Took me two cuts to realize I am doing it wrong :lol: (I wanted a V hemline :brickwall: )

LOL.. thanks for sharing! We want each other's outcome!! lol... I will tilt my head backwards next time for a straighter hemline. Nice to know that this way works to get the straighter results. Thanks!!Rapunzel to be, I hope you post some pics after your trim. :) Good luck!