PDA

View Full Version : What do you do about fly aways? (style/product/anything)

Kae612
December 27th, 2016, 06:30 PM
My hair looks best down, but I almost never wear it down out of the house because it catches on everything. I also need it up for studying/focusing or I start playing with it.

But the front of my hair has a lot of fly aways, to the point where I feel like I look unkempt when my hair is up. This is fine for studying, but if I want to look nice/professional with up hair it doesn't work. My fly aways don't curl nicely or frame my face, they stick up and out all over the place.

The only way my hair doesn't look scraggly with 1-3inch wispies sticking straight up and out like a sunflower is when I part my hair in the middle and wear it down. Two dutch braids also seems to make the situation very slightly better.

But I rarely see other people with bad looking fly aways, and when I spent time on a nice hairstyle that looks pretty from the back, I don't want it to look terrible from the front. So, if you have any tips or tricks to reduce them, or guide them into a more becoming shape, I would appreciate it!

Larki
December 27th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Anti-frizz creme is my best friend - particularly because I have trich and therefore have a lot more new growth than most people. I just use it all over my crown while my hair is damp and work it through really well. I also use my blow dryer on cool and that helps a lot as well because it's ionic.

Kae612
December 27th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Anti-frizz creme is my best friend - particularly because I have trich and therefore have a lot more new growth than most people. I just use it all over my crown while my hair is damp and work it through really well. I also use my blow dryer on cool and that helps a lot as well because it's ionic.

I haven't heard of that, I'll have to look it up! I've had trich also, so maybe I also have a lot more new growth/damaged short hairs than most people as well. Does it need a blow drier to be activated? I don't have one/have never really used one. I remember buying mouse and being really disappointed that it needs heat to do anything.

Larki
December 27th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I haven't heard of that, I'll have to look it up! I've had trich also, so maybe I also have a lot more new growth/damaged short hairs than most people as well. Does it need a blow drier to be activated? I don't have one/have never really used one. I remember buying mouse and being really disappointed that it needs heat to do anything.

No, I avoid all the thermal-activated products! Currently I'm using herbal essences anti frizz creme, it's very light so it's hard to use too much, but it does an excellent job.

Tassledown
December 27th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I use Giovanni's frizz control serum for the same purpose as well, although it has protein in it so not sure how your hair reacts to it. (I think mine likes it but it's the only protein product I use.)

I don't know if you'll get the same effect I do given your hair is only 1C but I find that using a frizz serum or hair oil means that whatever flyaways do stick out get gelled into tidy dark coils that look Romantic Era style not unkempt.

Otherwise as you said the only thing that really tucks in flyaways as a hairstyle is two dutch braids. If I'm feeling very lazy I'll use a wide headband or a snood, but that can sometimes not look great and/or get you the wrong attention depending on where you live if the snood is read as religious.

lapushka
December 28th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Try looking at this thread, the question has come up several times already and you might find info there:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Kae612
December 28th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Try looking at this thread, the question has come up several times already and you might find info there:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Thank you, sorry about the repeat. I did try searching it but I didn't see much. Perhaps I was too impatient!

No, I avoid all the thermal-activated products! Currently I'm using herbal essences anti frizz creme, it's very light so it's hard to use too much, but it does an excellent job.
I've tried the oil I put on my length/ends for slip/moisturizing and that does nothing, everything still sticks out (and then looks greasy). But I'll look for the Giovanni and Herbal Essences ones and give what I find a shot. Thanks!