PDA

View Full Version : How to make the spriggles go away

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I couldn't get a good picture of mine since they're not as noticeable as when I have freshly washed hair.

I have a lot of broken pieces of hair that stick up on the top of my head and I don't entirely understand why they're there, or maybe they're normal? I haven't done anything overly damaging to my hair since about April of this year (I know that's not very long for some people aha) but it seems like these little stick-ups should be longer than they are? This 'Before' picture is the closest example I could find:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/chap4_9780321725547/elementLinks/04_25-stray-hair-after.jpg

Help me get rid of my spriggles!

HeartofHaleth
December 27th, 2016, 11:19 AM
They may not be broken at all, they may just be new growth. It's normal to have little "fuzzies" or "spriggles" (I'd never heard that one, by the way...I like it! :p) at the crown. I have similar hair to you (according to your profile), and I have lots of them! Sometimes I'll look at the ends of them just to be sure, and they have the natural tapered end (which means they're new growth). I wouldn't worry too much about them being damage. If you don't like how they look, I'm afraid I'm not the person to ask, but somebody's sure to know! :D

spidermom
December 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM
A dab of gel rubbed between wet palms, then palms run down surface of hair helps those little fly-aways to lay down until you run your fingers or a comb through your hair or the wind hits them. Most of them are probably new growth. You may notice that you lose a few hairs per day. Well, you grow a few new hairs per day also.

Nique1202
December 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM
You can try parting your hair a little bit differently to see if there are fewer somewhere else, or if the ones elsewhere are less stubborn. You can spread a drop of oil over your hands and smooth your fingers over the parts that are sticking up. There's a thread about wispies around somewhere that might have some other suggestions. But, literally everyone has new growth on top of their heads. Sometimes they just can't be helped.

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM
They may not be broken at all, they may just be new growth. It's normal to have little "fuzzies" or "spriggles" (I'd never heard that one, by the way...I like it! :p) at the crown. I have similar hair to you (according to your profile), and I have lots of them! Sometimes I'll look at the ends of them just to be sure, and they have the natural tapered end (which means they're new growth). I wouldn't worry too much about them being damage. If you don't like how they look, I'm afraid I'm not the person to ask, but somebody's sure to know! :D

Makes me feel better to know it's not just mine, I never thought to check the ends. Mine seem to be tapered too! :)

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 11:55 AM
A dab of gel rubbed between wet palms, then palms run down surface of hair helps those little fly-aways to lay down until you run your fingers or a comb through your hair or the wind hits them. Most of them are probably new growth. You may notice that you lose a few hairs per day. Well, you grow a few new hairs per day also.

I'll have to try the gel! I was stealing my mothers mousse and it was making my scalp dry and giving me dandruff.

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 11:58 AM
You can try parting your hair a little bit differently to see if there are fewer somewhere else, or if the ones elsewhere are less stubborn. You can spread a drop of oil over your hands and smooth your fingers over the parts that are sticking up. There's a thread about wispies around somewhere that might have some other suggestions. But, literally everyone has new growth on top of their heads. Sometimes they just can't be helped.

Everyone else's hair always looks so tidy on top, but I think I just over analyze my own (as most probably do). I've seen the word wispies thrown around on here and didn't know what it was referring to. Glad I know what to call them now :laugh:

lithostoic
December 27th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I haven't done anything to my hair but nourish it for like 2 years and I have those :P

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 12:29 PM
It's new growth--the strands that are growing in to replace the once that fall out. If you don't want to buy a new product, I run my hands over my hair right after I put on hand lotion, and that flattens them down. The ingredients in hand lotion are pretty similar to a lot of leave-in products. Using this method prevents product-build up in my fine blonde hair.

catabear
December 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I have the same problem. I assumed they were broken hairs so sometimes I'd pluck them out... oops.

lapushka
December 27th, 2016, 12:33 PM
This thread might help you. We call them wispies. I like what you named them too, though. :lol:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Andthetalltrees
December 27th, 2016, 12:35 PM
I think a bit of it is frizz too. My hair has does this horribly too, oiling it seems to help but I've learned to just kind of live with it.

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks lapushka it's so much easier to find information on things when you know the correct name :flower:

emptyque
December 28th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Another thought I had, mine get a lot worse from both towel drying and blow drying. Drip drying is pretty time consuming though.

moon_witch
December 28th, 2016, 07:09 AM
I once saw a girl on youtube spray some hair spray on a tooth brush and come those little hairs down with it. I have never tried it though so I don't know how well that really works. I think most people will have some of those little hairs, like others have said it might just be new growth.

lapushka
December 28th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Another thought I had, mine get a lot worse from both towel drying and blow drying. Drip drying is pretty time consuming though.

Do you rub the towel over your hair? Because you need to squeegee the water out of your hair, then lay the towel over it, and "contain" the hair in it for about 15-30 min. That's all. No rubbing the strands! Just gently patting dry and putting it up.