PDA

View Full Version : Clay washing!

lapushka
December 27th, 2016, 07:41 AM
I often come across clay washes on many naturals' channels. I'm intrigued by it. It is often bentonite clay, sometimes with water, other times with ACV added to it.

It is not for me, I don't think (too scared to try once more). I once tried rhassoul/ghassoul clay and got the same result as washing with BS. Velcro-y, and dry, sticky hair.

But those who do clay wash, go ahead and post, you guys! Your recipes, your experiences...

Arctic
December 27th, 2016, 07:44 AM
I just saw some L'Oreal clay cntaining shampoo (and conditioner?) in the store last week. Didn't pick it up to have a better look, though. I'd be worried the tiny clay particles would over time wear down the cuticle layer.

lapushka
December 27th, 2016, 07:51 AM
I just saw some L'Oreal clay cntaining shampoo (and conditioner?) in the store last week. Didn't pick it up to have a better look, though. I'd be worried the tiny clay particles would over time wear down the cuticle layer.

I have the Garnier Ultra Doux clay shampoo (there's no "bits" in it). I absolutely *love* it as I can go a day longer without washing, if I wanted to. So my hair does look better during the week. L'Oréal Elvive (Elsève) does one too.

mizukitty
December 27th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I think clay might be good for the scalp since it's great at removing oils etc, but on the length maybe a bit too drying. I have a product, the name escapes me, that is like a pre poo with a high concentration of clay in it. You're supposed to apply to the scalp and then shampoo it out. It lets me go another day before washing without issues!

Obsidian
December 27th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I used bentonite clay once to try and "detoxify" my scalp. It ended up getting all over my hair and it was absolutely terrible. It left a coating that took multiple clarifying washes to remove.
If I ever decided to try clay again, I would use kaolin. Its much gentler then bentonite and shouldn't be so drying.

Wildcat Diva
December 27th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I had read about this today! It's a moisture retaining measure.

Here is a link I was gonna reference...
And maybe try:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/kinky-hair-type-4a/the-clay-mask-recipe-that-will-give-your-hair-life/

Hairkay
December 27th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I'm wary of trying clay out myself because of my sensitive skin. I have seen that it works wonders for others especially curly hair. The vinegar thing is because some types of clay are too alkaline.

Nymphe
December 28th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Although Terressentials does not list it in the ingredients, I can see the tinge of red rhassoul clay in their clay wash. Calcium and sodium bentonite clay are both grey and none contain hibiscus or any other red-staining product. Rhassoul is considered much more moisturizing than the others. I bought a little so I could make my own clay treatments. I use it every other month, been using it for years, so I am not worried about it wearing out my hair. I just apply a small amount, scrub my scalp a little, leave it for a few minutes, then rinse. Using it helped curb my conditioner use, but I did not realize it at the time.

Wildcat Diva
December 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I have Rhassoul clay at home... I think I'll try it a recipe.

Nymphe
December 28th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I have Rhassoul clay at home... I think I'll try it a recipe.

The trick is finding what it mixes best with for your hair. I prefer a thin mix, like Terressentials, which has aloe and plant extracts. Some are fine with just plain old water.

Wildcat Diva
December 28th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I have aloe juice and/or can try some herbal teas that I can blend in for a masque.

I just need to gain moisture with minimal build up potential.

I was reading about it in this link:

http://durablehealth.net/rhassoul-clay/rhassoul-clay-hair-benefits-mask-deep-conditioner/

Sapeli
December 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I mostly WO, but from time to time my hair (actually scalp) needs a more thorough cleansing. Then I use clay, rhassoul or kaolin, sometimes added with a little bit of Meinebase salt (melts to water). I use only a small amount of clay in a cup of water, 1-2 tea spoons of clay. I pour it on my wet scalp and lightly massage my scalp and with this amount it is not all over my hair. Sometimes I follow with light ACV and sometimes just cold water. Works for me, but I use it only when hair feels extra oily. Often clay wash is more like hair mask and I wouldn't try that. I wash my face with the same clay, kaolin clay is very nice. Mixing it with water makes it like gel and can be used to wash even dry or irritated skin. It doesn't remove makeup though.

I also bought Kastenbein und Bosch Chia Wascherde shampoo with no foaming agents and get the same results. Just clean scalp, but not totally stripped as normal shampoos make my fine hair totally flat and flyaway.

Wildcat Diva
December 28th, 2016, 12:23 PM
This is good info. I am not quite sure why it's being suggested on some sites as a masque to help retain moisture?

Nymphe
December 28th, 2016, 12:54 PM
This is good info. I am not quite sure why it's being suggested on some sites as a masque to help retain moisture?

That is for kinky-curly/kinky-coil crowd, who add things like ACV (to balance out the pH and make the mixture smoother), oils, and EOs to their mixes. I may try it with other items to see if it makes a difference, but I have normal porosity, so my hair is not impressed by much.

Anje
December 28th, 2016, 06:58 PM
I find it intriguing, but I'd rather not be putting a bunch of insoluble, non-degradable stuff like clay into my septic tank. I've got a pretty finite amount of space for all waste that goes down the drain and would rather not make it smaller (especially since I don't know where the lid to the tank is to get it pumped! ).

Nymphe
December 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Something to keep in mind: this method works better with hair free of silicones and build-up. Terressentials has a protocol for detoxing the hair (http://www.terressentials.com/hairhelp.html).

Wildcat Diva
December 29th, 2016, 09:54 AM
That link makes it sound like this is an all or nothing method. Like it's not
something you can try with other cleansing or conditioning methods at all.

Nymphe
December 29th, 2016, 10:11 AM
That link makes it sound like this is an all or nothing method. Like it's not
something you can try with other cleansing or conditioning methods at all.

Oh yeah, but that never stopped someone like me from experimenting. I never did the protocol since I had no build-up and still co-washed when I first started to use it. They did make some changes to it over the years, I see. Before, they recommended no additional products were needed. Yeah, right...

Wildcat Diva
January 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
Well, your posts seem to have the result to free me up to experiment, which I may do here and there...

cassidy_2711
January 3rd, 2017, 10:12 PM
I used to use this recipe to wash my hair with clay
2tbs rhassaul clay
1tbs ACV or 1tbs amla powder
1tbs Aloe vera gel (fresh kind that has to be refrigerated)
2 drops jojoba and drop of essential oil
Mix together then add enough water for a paste-like consistency
In the shower focus on scalp with finger tips and work to ends. Then I would tie my hair in a bun and rinse at the end of my shower.
This would make my hair very soft and shiny but I had to quit during the winter months as my hair got staticy

Nymphe
January 4th, 2017, 05:13 AM
I used to use this recipe to wash my hair with clay
2tbs rhassaul clay
1tbs ACV or 1tbs amla powder
1tbs Aloe vera gel (fresh kind that has to be refrigerated)
2 drops jojoba and drop of essential oil
Mix together then add enough water for a paste-like consistency
In the shower focus on scalp with finger tips and work to ends. Then I would tie my hair in a bun and rinse at the end of my shower.
This would make my hair very soft and shiny but I had to quit during the winter months as my hair got staticy

Thanks for the recipe; I will have to try that one. I wonder if marshmallow root tea for the liquid part would make it more moisturizing for my hair.

cassidy_2711
January 4th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the recipe; I will have to try that one. I wonder if marshmallow root tea for the liquid part would make it more moisturizing for my hair.

You could always try that! And depending on your hair type you may want to tweak the recipe until you find the perfect combination. It was just what works best for me.

Violet Jones
January 6th, 2017, 10:52 AM
I have often seriously wondered if by mixing clay, honey, aloe and acv might create a nice shampoo? Hair can be so demanding sometimes lol.

cassidy_2711
January 6th, 2017, 11:58 PM
I have often seriously wondered if by mixing clay, honey, aloe and acv might create a nice shampoo? Hair can be so demanding sometimes lol.

All you can do is try.

Nymphe
January 7th, 2017, 08:58 AM

I would try it with blackstrap molasses. The possibilities are endless.

piratejenny
January 31st, 2017, 03:01 AM
I've been washing with rhassoul clay for years and I love it. I get the cheap clay pieces (nothing ground or mixed with other stuff etc.), soak them in water to make a paste the consistency of yoghurt. It is drying, so I heavily oil my hair before a wash. For me, nothing takes oil out like rhassoul. I then apply the paste liberally. I wash it out slowly, repeatedly wetting my hands and massaging my scalp gently. Sometimes I do an ACV rinse, but I don't feel it's necessary. It leaves my hair shiny and soft.
I've tried mixing it with all kinds of things, but I find pure is the best.
Maybe I should add that I haven't used conventional shampoo or conditioner in many years, so I have no build-up on my hair.
Good luck. :)

Nymphe
January 31st, 2017, 03:22 AM
I've been washing with rhassoul clay for years and I love it. I get the cheap clay pieces (nothing ground or mixed with other stuff etc.), soak them in water to make a paste the consistency of yoghurt. It is drying, so I heavily oil my hair before a wash. For me, nothing takes oil out like rhassoul. I then apply the paste liberally. I wash it out slowly, repeatedly wetting my hands and massaging my scalp gently. Sometimes I do an ACV rinse, but I don't feel it's necessary. It leaves my hair shiny and soft.
Maybe I should add that I haven't used conventional shampoo or conditioner in many years, so I have no build-up on my hair.
Thanks for the feedback! Rhassoul is on my list to try after I finish the Terressentials.

cheeky
February 2nd, 2017, 08:23 AM

Where do you purchase the pieces? I've only seen it ground.

piratejenny
February 7th, 2017, 04:50 AM
I live in the Netherlands and there are quite a few web shops around that import the pieces from Morocco. This is where I order https://www.elkantrawebshop.nl/a-43311326/ghassoul/ghassoul/ but there are more. The site is in Dutch, but the owner is very nice and I'm sure they speak English.

That said, I don't think it makes any difference whether you use the pieces or the powder, really. Once you add water it should all turn out the same. The pieces are just generally cheaper here. ;)