PDA

View Full Version : How To Care For Ends?

Iri
December 26th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I know that the ends are the oldest parts of the hair. How do you care for your ends to keep them healthy and avoid splitting as much as possible? I tend to get more split ends than the average person, as my ends are usually dry no matter what I do. Any advice on how to achieve/maintain healthy ends would be greatly appreciated! :)

Annalouise
December 26th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I don't really take care of my ends per say. I take care of my hair such that it doesn't dry out. When it dries out it will eventually break and split. So, you are talking about keeping your hair healthy for the lifetime of the hair. So its not so much that x, y, or z is damaging, its that x, y, and z for repeated use for 5 years will degrade the strand.

For my hair type sulphates are too drying (over a long term period) and silicones are too damaging over a long period because of all the sulphates that is required to remove them. So this definitely will split my hair in a few years.

So for long term care I go for a daily (less harsh) shampoo, it should say on the bottle safe for daily washing, etc. And a silicone free conditioner. And preferably a deep conditioner. And no heat tools. You can't improve on your natural hair strands. The trick is to keep them in tact and healthy. All the products that say things like "repairs split ends" etc... this is all a sales gimmick.

Very few people in society do not wish to cut their hair and hair products in general are not designed to grow terminal length hair. So use them with caution. Less is more is my motto. The more stuff you pile on the more washing you have to do to remove them. And its probably the washing with detergents/soaps that is the most drying. Just do the math. You wash your hair x many times a year, times 5 years... so they have been washed a lot!:)

cassidy_2711
December 26th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I create a mixture of shea butter and other oils and will scrunch it on the ends of my damp hair.

mizukitty
December 26th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Oil on damp hair is my favorite way to protect my ends. Jojoba and mineral oil are great at 1. lubricating hair to reduce friction and 2. sealing moisture from damp hair into your hair (slowing evaporation, if high porosity is your issue - mine is.) Clarifying/chelating is important too, build up (product or mineral) can make your hair feel like it's dry and damaged, even though it's just "stuff" that's bonded to your hair over time. Deep conditioning frequently is helpful for your hair in general, and updos can help prevent a ton of damage!

Give the SMT that's popular on here a try, it's very good. It's like a conditioning treatment on steroids :P

Search bar > "SMT"

Marette
December 26th, 2016, 10:28 PM
I have been very lucky to have never been prone to split ends. My hair was bleached for many years, and still no splits. But I did get the crunchies, which may have been the forerunner of splits, in a bad way. Perhaps what solved my crunchy ends will give you some ideas.
My hair cannot go without a shampoo at least every other night. For some reason, my hair needs that wash. Silk Drops works wonderfully for me on about the last two inches of my hair, and I put it on before every shampoo - not up any higher, though. A Tangle Teezer has been a lifesaver for me as well and made the most difference in my hair's condition. I've had good luck with Herbal Essences Naked shampoo and conditioner with mint and rosemary, and they leave my hair soft and silky. But they smell, to me anyway, just awful. Hello Hydration is a good conditioner and may just fit the bill. Condition-wash-condition may help.
I would recommend starting with a leisurely search-and-destroy mission and getting a Tangle Teezer, then just treating your hair like a piece of silk that you fear will snag.
By the way, it took me years to figure out that any but the lightest hairspray was a disaster for my ends.
The kind and generous people here will have lots of good ideas for you to try, so keep your chin up!
Keep us informed on how things progress and what works - or doesn't. Best wishes and good luck!:flowers:

lapushka
December 27th, 2016, 03:04 AM
Moisture. Moisture. Moisture. I WCC (condition twice), then I do the LOC method, and sometimes the ROO on the ends of my hair (it's all explained in my signature). ROO aka rinse-out oil is especially great at keeping ends moist.

The more dry you let your ends become, the more prone they are to splitting.

Arctic
December 27th, 2016, 07:55 AM
I have restarted a habit I had years ago: on evenings I slightly dampen my ends and apply a bit of slightly watered down, moisturizing conditioner on them (no protein, no silicone). I had forgotten how nice effect this has on my hair.

thunderseed
December 27th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Ugh, I am getting annoying splits again and I'm not sure why. My hair isn't damaged from heat or dye jobs (it has grown out since the last time)
and I've been moisturizing it religiously. The ends feel nice and moisturized, definitely not dry. I took the advice of people on here and stopped shampooing the ends regularily and just conditioning them.

I just microtrimmed my hair a few days ago and already see some splits. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Ellethwyn
December 27th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I have restarted a habit I had years ago: on evenings I slightly dampen my ends and apply a bit of slightly watered down, moisturizing conditioner on them (no protein, no silicone). I had forgotten how nice effect this has on my hair.

I've been doing this lately! It helps with dry ends a lot!

Bambi
December 28th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I've been doing this lately! It helps with dry ends a lot!

I second this, it really helps! I put almond oil on aswell, can't stand the feeling of dry ends.

Sulis
December 28th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Using a tiny amount of oil like coconut or almond oil on damp hair has always worked for me. Also, using a leave in conditioner would be helpful to keep the ends of your hair moisturized and healthy

Garnetgem
December 28th, 2016, 10:11 PM
I have started to apply fractionated coconut oil to my ends since then it seems softer and less likely to tangle..

Marette
December 29th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Ugh, I am getting annoying splits again and I'm not sure why. My hair isn't damaged from heat or dye jobs (it has grown out since the last time)
and I've been moisturizing it religiously. The ends feel nice and moisturized, definitely not dry. I took the advice of people on here and stopped shampooing the ends regularily and just conditioning them.

I just microtrimmed my hair a few days ago and already see some splits. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

I had a friend who had the same experience. I got her scissors down and looked at them under a photographer's loupe. They had small burrs and knicks all up and down the blades. Just getting new scissors helped an awful lot. I found a pair for $11 at Sally's that I just love. I keep them in a protective pouch and naturally don't use them for anything else.
Also, how high above the split do you cut? You have to get above the split end and not just where you think it starts. Those little nasties tend to be damaged before you can see it with the naked eye. So I would take off an extra quarter of an inch at least on anything I found on a search-and-destroy mission. I don't know if any of this helps or applies, but I hope it does. Best of luck - sounds like you have a good routine that should pay off.:flowers:

luvlonghair75
December 29th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I also oil my ends after washing. Seems to help alot and helps to feel thicker, too!

trolleypup
December 29th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Keep 'em tucked away from exposure to damage.

antler_tines
December 29th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I've recently started to wet my ends and use conditioner and oil, then rinse lightly. You don't need to get all of it out. I have been doing it every day and it seems to be helping my ends which are always dry and splitting. I suppose if you have finer lower porosity hair then it could get weighed down or build up, but for me it seems to help. I just use cheap sauve conditioner for that purpose.

MsPharaohMoan
December 29th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Experimenting with
- humectants
- ways to seal moisture, see LOC method
- eliminating split ends, see microtrimming and search and destroy
- detangling techniques such as combs, tangle teaser, with conditioner
- keeping ends tucked into buns
- deep treatments to balance protein and moisture needs

Salwety
December 31st, 2016, 09:13 AM
This is a good question. I use oils and conditioners on my ends too, but still feel some dryness. I think it is all about tucking the ends. I have layers that still doesn't go in a bun well, and those ends get even more drier. I sleep on satin pillow case.
Even if I try and do a braid, I do not like to secure the ends in the small scrunchy. Sounds paranoid I know. But I don't want to case any new damage to my hair and aim for a long relationship with it.

Mrstran
December 31st, 2016, 09:47 AM
I think a combo of pretty much every comment you'll read previously would stop splits all together. Oiling, overall long term care (this one I feel dumb for never thinking about) Then there is moisture( I learned about recently) tucking, conditioner on ends (again never thought to water and co ends everyday, another great idea, and of corse S&D.

All great ideas!

I do S&D, oil my ends often, and keep my hair up. This threat is very full of info and I even learned a thing or two!

Great post!

Iri
January 8th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Oh yeah, sulphates and silicones have the same effect on my hair, so I try to stray away from them. Those are some really good points! And I never thought of that :doh:

Iri
January 8th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I create a mixture of shea butter and other oils and will scrunch it on the ends of my damp hair.

Nice! I will have to try this! Thank you! :)

Iri
January 8th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Oil on damp hair is my favorite way to protect my ends. Jojoba and mineral oil are great at 1. lubricating hair to reduce friction and 2. sealing moisture from damp hair into your hair (slowing evaporation, if high porosity is your issue - mine is.) Clarifying/chelating is important too, build up (product or mineral) can make your hair feel like it's dry and damaged, even though it's just "stuff" that's bonded to your hair over time. Deep conditioning frequently is helpful for your hair in general, and updos can help prevent a ton of damage!

Give the SMT that's popular on here a try, it's very good. It's like a conditioning treatment on steroids :P

Search bar > "SMT"

Oh wow, I will have to try these as well! Thank you! :eek:

littlestarface
January 8th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Oil on wet hair: after shampoo apply oil(I use argan) then conditioner let it sit abit, I let mine in the heat cap sit for 10mins.
Updos: I'm always putting my hair up in a crown braid now everyday so that my ends and length don't get shredded and stay protected.

Iri
January 8th, 2017, 03:55 PM
I have been very lucky to have never been prone to split ends. My hair was bleached for many years, and still no splits. But I did get the crunchies, which may have been the forerunner of splits, in a bad way. Perhaps what solved my crunchy ends will give you some ideas.
My hair cannot go without a shampoo at least every other night. For some reason, my hair needs that wash. Silk Drops works wonderfully for me on about the last two inches of my hair, and I put it on before every shampoo - not up any higher, though. A Tangle Teezer has been a lifesaver for me as well and made the most difference in my hair's condition. I've had good luck with Herbal Essences Naked shampoo and conditioner with mint and rosemary, and they leave my hair soft and silky. But they smell, to me anyway, just awful. Hello Hydration is a good conditioner and may just fit the bill. Condition-wash-condition may help.
I would recommend starting with a leisurely search-and-destroy mission and getting a Tangle Teezer, then just treating your hair like a piece of silk that you fear will snag.
By the way, it took me years to figure out that any but the lightest hairspray was a disaster for my ends.
The kind and generous people here will have lots of good ideas for you to try, so keep your chin up!
Keep us informed on how things progress and what works - or doesn't. Best wishes and good luck!:flowers:

Lucky indeed!! And good advice!! Okay, I will do just that! Thanks a lot!! :blossom:

caprinequeen
January 8th, 2017, 03:56 PM
To start I use a great leave in conditioner by Calia Naturals I think it's a Canadian brand, all natural oils and flower essences. I also use a oil mixture my friend made me with grape seed oil, jojoba oil, carrot oil, all infused with bee balm. I apply it to my ends when they are feeling dry and before shampooing.

Iri
January 8th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Moisture. Moisture. Moisture. I WCC (condition twice), then I do the LOC method, and sometimes the ROO on the ends of my hair (it's all explained in my signature). ROO aka rinse-out oil is especially great at keeping ends moist.

The more dry you let your ends become, the more prone they are to splitting.

Ohh I have actually never heard of these methods. They sound promising; I'll add them to my list of methods to try for sure! Thanks!! :D

dvep
January 8th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I'm such a newbie, I thought dry ends didn't have much hope but I'm loving this thread! Why have I never liked my ends while they're wrt before? I must try this. And I'll have to finally try this famed SMT.

Dark40
January 8th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I oil my ends with coconut oil 2 or 3 times a week. I deep condition twice a week, and I trim my ends once or twice a year.

Dark40
January 8th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I'm such a newbie, I thought dry ends didn't have much hope but I'm loving this thread! Why have I never liked my ends while they're wrt before? I must try this. And I'll have to finally try this famed SMT.

Welcome to the thread!

Dark40
January 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Lucky indeed!! And good advice!! Okay, I will do just that! Thanks a lot!! :blossom:

Yeah, me too also have been blessed with not being prone to split ends! That's because I take good care of my hair by co-washing it mostly 7 times a week, and I deep condition twice a week to keep my hair and scalp moisturized. I also seal in the moisture with any type of oil. Like, an Indian oil. Or, coconut oil.

Iri
January 10th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the wonderfully helpful advice!! There are so many good methods that were mentioned..I can't wait to try them all! :D

Iri
January 10th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Yeah, me too also have been blessed with not being prone to split ends! That's because I take good care of my hair by co-washing it mostly 7 times a week, and I deep condition twice a week to keep my hair and scalp moisturized. I also seal in the moisture with any type of oil. Like, an Indian oil. Or, coconut oil.

I envy you! haha :D Sealing in moisture with oil is another thing that I've been failing to do. I have such a hard time keeping my hair/scalp moisturized. So, now I'm thinking that I need to increase my co-washing and deep conditioning. Thank you!

Firsttimelength
January 10th, 2017, 09:28 PM
I really like Shea Moisture castor oil ASV clarifying shampoo and ASV rinses vs the sulfate shampoos to get the best ups and silicone out that may help you use them he protecting oils on your ends. I don't seem to have build up by doing this. I oil overnight twice a week and deep condition every wash which is two to three times a week. I'm new here not sure what others think I f this I had been a a en only girl for last 6 years but I love the oils and they just won't get the oil out.
I was expecting to hear about protective style ideas here. I can't use oil on ends and leave my hair down very greasy looking on me no matter how little I use. I haven't tried Jojoba though. Any other ways you protect those ends?

desu
January 11th, 2017, 03:49 AM
I always put some oil on my ends while they're still wet from showering. I also deep condition them with oil.

Hay_jules
January 11th, 2017, 10:59 AM

This is a great idea, I need to try this. :cool: