PDA

View Full Version : The max hydration method

lapushka
December 26th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I came across this on YT. It appears to be a new method for hydrating curly hair. I had never heard of this before, until a woman mentioned it on a YT video. Anyway, here's the site she referred to:
https://maxhydrationmethod.com/

And here's a direct link to the method:
https://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/

Wildcat Diva
December 26th, 2016, 01:09 PM
The baking soda scares me.
She says she has debunked the BS myth.
https://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/05/mhm-myths-debunked-cutting-apart-the-bakingsoda-fixation/
I'm not convinced.
I'm reading, not sure if there are some things I can take away from this.
Maybe so... maybe not. Will take some time to read and digest.

spidermom
December 26th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I don't trust information on sites with products to sell.

likelikepenny
December 26th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Funny this has been brought up. I've recently been looking into this method for my tightly curled hair.

I've searched high and low for a replacement to the baking soda and she said from her site that you can use acv in it's place. The purpose of the baking soda is for low porosity hair to raise the cuticle in order to get much needed moisture into the hair. This can also be done with steaming (which I'm trying with a shower cap and body heat). I'm planning on trying this as soon as I can get some clay.

parkmikii
December 26th, 2016, 01:21 PM
The cherry lol thing used to be brought up quite often back in the days when I lurked around here.
Just found a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23630).

Decoy24601
December 26th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I call BS. Baking soda doesn't raise the cuticle at all, it dissolves it, which has actually been proven at higher concentrations (I can't find the link I had right now).

littlestarface
December 26th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I have everything needed but every 3 days? That's a lot of work for a lazy bum like me.

likelikepenny
December 26th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I call BS. Baking soda doesn't raise the cuticle at all, it dissolves it, which has actually been proven at higher concentrations (I can't find the link I had right now).

If you can find the link, i would greatly appreciate. The baking soda made me nervous and I have no intention of putting it on my hair.

likelikepenny
December 26th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I have everything needed but every 3 days? That's a lot of work for a lazy bum like me.

Once you reach max hydration i believe you only have to do it once a week, depending on how well your hair holds onto the moisture you infuse into it.

littlestarface
December 26th, 2016, 01:28 PM
The cherry lol thing used to be brought up quite often back in the days when I lurked around here.
Just found a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23630).

Oh wow lol so this is the lola thing yogurt with bs and amino acids. How does one even get amino acid?

mizukitty
December 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I don't trust anyone who thinks putting something on their hair with a pH of ~2 (acetic acid 5% at a 1:1 ratio) or baking soda ~pH 9 on their hair for 15-60 MINUTES is a good idea. That's way out of the ideal hair pH range and can permanently destroy and chemically alter the structure of your hair. Sciency hair blog did an entire post on this matter.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html?m=1

likelikepenny
December 26th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Oh wow lol so this is the lola thing yogurt with bs and amino acids. How does one even get amino acid?

Braggs amino acids (tastes like organic soy sauce) can be found at your local health food store.

littlestarface
December 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Braggs amino acids (tastes like organic soy sauce) can be found at your local health food store.
Ah dang we don;t have health food stores here, hopefully they have it my grocery store. If not i'll use soy sauce I guess.

Annalouise
December 26th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Not in a million years... I've tried b.s., vinegar, clay washes... No thanks!!:)

Hairkay
December 26th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I've seen some who got some good results with that for a while. It's very time consuming. I still won't use that stuff on my hair. I don't find it necessary. My hair gets hydrated enough with water.

lapushka
December 26th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I just posted it for information purposes, because... after all, it's "out there". I myself am not convinced either. But it's there, you guys deserve to know and get some good info on it from various members here. Baking soda? No way. I know that much.

Hairkay
December 26th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I just posted it for information purposes, because... after all, it's "out there". I myself am not convinced either. But it's there, you guys deserve to know and get some good info on it from various members here. Baking soda? No way. I know that much.

I know some have modified the method so they don't use the baking soda. The results look great. I just think it takes too much time to spend on hair regularly. It also depends on using heavy creams and gels for the wash & go look. That is a lot of expense in both products and time to keep up year after year.

Strands
December 26th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I am a super noob, but for real I have always been told that baking soda destroys your hair. So, that said... :mrt: I pity the fool who uses it on their hair. My God.

Wildcat Diva
December 26th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Perhaps one could clarify and chelate using an appropriate ph balanced shampoo. I would not want to do this very often though. I do want maximum hydration, but I will have to find what works for me that isn't going to damage my hair.

RavenRose
December 26th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I tried doing the whole baking soda wash thing for months- with a whole lot lower concentration of BS and only enough time to scrub my scalp- so 2 min tops, once/twice a week. I do have low porosity hair- it totally trashed my hair. no way I would ever suggest leaving it on for that amount of time!

The rest of it is just co-wash followed by a clay mask and LCO. I think if you substitute a normal shampoo for the baking soda (sulfate or clarifing if you have build up issues), then it isn't so bad.
It really reminds me of very long/intensive WCC + LCO

AutobotsAttack
December 26th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I've tried this and it's not completely horrible, however The baking Soda jacked my hair and my cuticles refused to lay down for two weeks, and the clay I used caked up on my hair instantly. Felt good for one day and then everything went crap the following days. ACV is something my hair likes, but keeping my hair at a low PH is what helps it thrive. So I will acknowledge everyone's skepticism, and they aren't wrong for having it, because that method is quite odd. I'm different so I know it affects people differently, but it is definitely not for me.

Nymphe
December 27th, 2016, 05:01 AM
For some with tightly curled or coiled hair, it has helped them achieve clumped, slightly elongated hair, but most stop because it is so time-consuming. Others have modified it to their tastes.

Baking soda does lift the cuticle. I felt it happen on my hair; it scared me enough not to use it again. Clay helps clump my coils faster after a major detangling session, been using it since 2009. After researching this method, it did teach me the importance of the moisture-protein balance, even for my normal porosity hair.

Greenfire
December 28th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I could only find the regimen for type 4 hair, is it only supposed to be FOR that type?

turtlelover
December 28th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Baking soda absolutely trashed my hair years ago with just ONE use. I don't get NEAR the stuff now. NO WAY!

Nymphe
December 29th, 2016, 12:37 AM
The woman who created it and the other one who first modified it are both type 4s. The Cherry Lola Treatment has been around for years prior to MHM, the baking soda can be reduced or removed. Also, much of the baking soda gets neutralized by the ACV, and it has helped those with tightly-coily, low-porosity hair.

lapushka
December 29th, 2016, 05:26 AM
I don't think a method is "type specific". I think hair type has 0 to do with it, personally. Lots of methods work for different people. I can do LOC (by using less product). I mean... even straighties do CG. If you want to try it, go for it. It might not work. It might well work. You won't know until you try. :)

Greenfire
December 29th, 2016, 08:17 AM
lol after I spent half an hour on the site trying to find the other hair type methods, because I could only find the type 4 method on it!

Baking soda messes with my hair horribly, so not sold on this one, I'll see how it works for other hair types first.

lapushka
December 29th, 2016, 09:52 AM
lol after I spent half an hour on the site trying to find the other hair type methods, because I could only find the type 4 method on it!

Baking soda messes with my hair horribly, so not sold on this one, I'll see how it works for other hair types first.

Try looking into CWC, CO-washing for instance, or WCC. Plenty of methods on this site. :)

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 10:17 AM

You can use ACV in place of the Baking Soda. This is primarily designed for type 4 hair because it's more difficult to retain moisture, although it can work for all hair types. The only difference with the MHM is that every step is done in succession which is why it yields such "great" results.